Power Metal

Does Sup Forums like ironic, corny power metal? What's your favorite album? It's one of my guilty pleasures, personally.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=OffF0e2h4TU
youtube.com/watch?v=mf2fCD1hrow
youtube.com/watch?v=tbol84KDqb8
youtube.com/watch?v=6wY9H6nh5pA
youtube.com/watch?v=1f3s2uFQFMk
youtube.com/watch?v=N1zKZuoIsYM
youtube.com/watch?v=3uZLgTx_Sqk
youtube.com/watch?v=BNY_A9juB-k
youtube.com/watch?v=E225LMCLW4o
youtube.com/watch?v=5ir-lP0NiSw
youtube.com/watch?v=izpqDWN5iVQ
youtube.com/watch?v=UyzWp5BskSk
youtube.com/watch?v=nZUysqemMmg
youtube.com/watch?v=Q9WJh6ioEPQ
wws.youtube.com/watch?v=vztA1bQUIr4
youtube.com/watch?v=Gnkim23NGyw
youtube.com/watch?v=YJB8rYbtMHM
youtube.com/watch?v=KqGaXimyNO8&list=PLCsnNUUDUslJXgIYkC3WdBhNX1BIFIwIL&index=2
youtube.com/watch?v=V0fx0V_tWe4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Galneryus - Beyond the End of Despair

Compositionally power metal can be spectacular unironically. One of the only genres of metal that will take major scales to the extreme.

If anyone asks what power metal you like you say "Helloween Keeper of the Seven Keys Parts 1 and 2 (2 is better than 1)". Secretly you listen to Stratovarius and Avantasia though.

And if anyone gets into a decade debate and starts talking about their 70s/80s music just spam about Judas Priest and Iron Maiden and motherfucking DIO

The logical conclusion of power metal:
youtube.com/watch?v=OffF0e2h4TU

I don't like ironic power metal.

I liked when it was serious. The genre past the year 2004-2005ish has gotten so bad that I can't even deal with it.

That said, I still love:

Angra
Stratovarius
Helloween
Gamma Ray
Blind Guardian (duh, but only until Nightfall in Middle Earth. After that they became simultaneously the best power metal band to exist (for the early stuff) and the band that caused it to be terrible.
Dark Moor
Avantasia

Dragonforce is also highly to blame. Fuck them. Fuck them hard.

The corniest, most unapologetic of all.
youtube.com/watch?v=mf2fCD1hrow

Dark Moor - Silver Lake

youtube.com/watch?v=tbol84KDqb8

Angra - Speed

youtube.com/watch?v=6wY9H6nh5pA

This kinda shit got me through high school in the early 00's.

Oh, this is a good one.

Freedom Call - Rise Up

youtube.com/watch?v=1f3s2uFQFMk

Stratovarius - Twilight Symphony

youtube.com/watch?v=N1zKZuoIsYM

Stratovarius - Phoenix

youtube.com/watch?v=3uZLgTx_Sqk

I love every kind of power metal except for Sabaton and Powerwolf, those 2 have no musical integrity and are essentially just arena rock bands that give power metal a bad name, at least dragonforce can play fast.

Gamma Ray - Somewhere Out in Space

youtube.com/watch?v=BNY_A9juB-k

Oh, you made me remeber Nightwish.

Nightwish - Elevenpath

youtube.com/watch?v=E225LMCLW4o

Unironically good power metal isn't hard to find if you look for it beyond the Nuclear Blast and Napalm Records fodder.
youtube.com/watch?v=5ir-lP0NiSw

This is pretty alright. Thanks, famalam.

I don't know much about power metal, but I love this track like an old friend:

Luca Turilli - Demonheart

youtube.com/watch?v=izpqDWN5iVQ

>ironic
>guilty pleasure
We don't like falsies any more than the extreme fans do.

How did Guardian cause power metal to decline? I'd blame Edguy (making corny hard rock popular) or Sonata Arctica (making sadboi lyrics with weak riffs popular).

>tfw Powerwolf was the band you had in mind when you opened this thread

Ah well, one man's cheese is another man's chalk I suppose

desu I guess A Night at the Opera was okay, but anything beyond that just became repetitive symphonic power metal. It was like they forgot how to write good songs and went all in on the Rhapsody strain of power metal.

Don't get me wrong, Rhapsody's okay at times, but very repetitive. Kind of boring as a result.

More like this? Basically OTT trad metal, not that much about 2 part concept albums with interludes every two songs ie less Rhapsody, more Kai-era Helloween
youtube.com/watch?v=UyzWp5BskSk
youtube.com/watch?v=nZUysqemMmg
youtube.com/watch?v=Q9WJh6ioEPQ
wws.youtube.com/watch?v=vztA1bQUIr4

Lancer is Keeper of the 7 Keys worship
youtube.com/watch?v=Gnkim23NGyw

This is all good shit.

American power (pic) and German speedpower like
Gamma Ray, Running Wild, Scanner, Heavens Gate, Rage, Angel Dust, Grave Digger, Paradox, Iron Savior and Primal Fear
Also listen to Hibria - Defying the Rules and Judas Priest - Painkiller (you most likely heard this already)

Their new album went a bit JUST, naturally since it was released by nuclear meme records.

Volcano
youtube.com/watch?v=YJB8rYbtMHM

Okay so let me get this straight

>Ironic Power Metal
Gloryhammer, Twilight Force, Nanowar of Steel

>skirting the line
Helloween, Gamma Ray, Edguy

>Unironic Power Metal
Blind Guardian, Dragonland, Stratovarius

Yes?

this is pretty good pham

I see nothing wrong here.

I'd argue Helloween didn't skirt the line until shit like Pink Bubbles Go Ape, but still pretty right.

I'm kind of afraid to check out anything else by them because I'm afraid it won't live up. youtube.com/watch?v=KqGaXimyNO8&list=PLCsnNUUDUslJXgIYkC3WdBhNX1BIFIwIL&index=2

Their stuff up to Triumph of Agony is consistently good, also listen to Luca Turilli - King of the Nordic Twilight and Prophet of the Last Apocalypse (side project of the original Rhapsody guitarist)

The only real landmines in their discography are Dark Wings of Steel and Triumph or Agony.

Much of the rest is pretty much required listening if you're into symphonic power metal.

Did you make that picture? I'm just asking because I don't consider Iced Earth's first album to be power metal.

No I did not make it, but it's still accurate.
American power metal is very different from European power metal, it's powerful in a more aggressive way and it's way more riff-driven, Iced Earth fits the definition of American power metal.

USPM is essentially what they used to call Speed Metal.

not necessarily, there are plenty of slower USPM bands, but there's definitely an overlap

Which is fair, but I guess I can't fit Gene Adam's voice into a genre.

I was considering making a graph, putting one axis as quality and putting one axis as level of irony. Blind Guardian would be minimally ironic with high quality, Twilight Force and Gloryhammer would be moderately good and highly ironic, and Helloween would be decently good and not at all ironic. I can't think of a band that would be not ironic and not good, or a band thats incredibly ironic and incredibly good.

>incredibly ironic and incredibly good
SOMEBODY SAVAAAAAAAAE US NOOOOOOWWWW
FROOOOOOM HIIIIIGH SPEEEEED A-D-B
youtube.com/watch?v=V0fx0V_tWe4

I like "The Headless Game" a lot.

>I can't think of a band that would be not ironic and not good
Skylark?

>Helloween
>not at all ironic
You think so? A lot of their early stuff was pretty aggressively tongue in cheek.

All right cool, i'll have to dive back into them then. I'm sort of apprehensive about angra and temple of shadows for the same reason too.

Temple of Shadows is actually pretty good.

I think Angra is one of the greatest power metal bands as far as a diversity of sound, topics, themes, and general songwriting goes.

They've got a vein of prog in them, so maybe that's where it comes from. They don't go overboard on the prog, though, which is how it should be.

I love the sound of powermetal, but I can't listen to much of it all at once, especially if it has a lot of singing. One of my friends heard a mix playlist I had of powermetal and thought it was literally all Iron Maiden because so many of them have that same voice effect and singing style. Instrumental stuff is my preference.

He must just listen to all the power metal bands that are generic and sound the same.

There's a lot of diversity in 90's power metal.

Oh yeah, that's the only one that I've listened to, but if the rest of their catalogue is that good I'll have to give 'er a shot. I had a glimmer of hope that Dystopia would have benefited from having Kieko onboard, but.

Oh, I got you. Try working backwards with Angra first.