What's a good record player for someone wanting to spend under £100?

What's a good record player for someone wanting to spend under £100?

pic unrelated

nothing, wait until you have some money before you want to buy a record player

>£100
That's a huge budget for something over 100 years old. Literally just swing by a thrift store every day on your way to work and they'll have something eventually.

The ATLP60 is the only decent record player for sub-100 bucks. But the good news is that it's an excellent place to start. Don't let any snob tell you different.

Don't let them tell you to buy used, either. That's for people who already know their stuff, not beginners.

Not OP. I'm not a beginner so maybe my perception is off, but if you could find a used record player for pretty cheap, wouldn't that be a good place to start a gauge?

>ATLP60
What about the Sony PS-LX300USB?

This any good?

For 100 bongbucks your only hope is to find a serviceable vintage turntable secondhand. You need a turntable, a preamp, and an amplifier. Don't cheap out and buy a unit that has the turntable, amp, and speakers in a box

Don't buy the 60. No counter weight.

If you can't afford a decent turntable then vinyl isn't for you.

Plastic shite with a cartridge you can't replace

Source: owned one

This deck is better than anything new suggested so far

Your best bet is Craigslist. Don't get the LP60. Save up for the LP120

I think it's a real crapshoot. Plus, you end up in a situation where you're buying thirty-year-old electronics, it's way easier to plug and play.

This guy's right about speakers but nothing else. Don't fuss about preamps and receivers at the outset. Get into that later, if vinyl turns out being a thing you care about for more than six months.

The 60 does not have a counterweight, but it's been vouched for by scores of reputable people and publications. It's a great place to start. There's no sense dropping $650 on a setup when you don't even have five records.
Vinyl is tons of fun but it's extremely hard to seek out advice. Check guides on Gizmodo and Lifehacker.

Nothing that costs £100 is going to sound good. Wait and save up until you can get yourself a real record player.

I got pic related for 9,97$ (CAD) at Value Village. It came with a new needle and speakers. And I got the stand for free on Kijiji.

Does it sound as good as it possibly could? No. But does it sound perfectly acceptable for most records, cassettes, and the radio? Absolutely.

I spent the equivalent of £6 for this and it's a nice, basic setup. Start small and start cheap. If you decide you want to upgrade somewhere down the line, that's great, but don't try to go all-out from the start, especially if it's something you're unfamiliar with.

Do your research on what cheap used retro options are good places to start for a beginner.

I went with the technics sl-bd20. It has a counter weight and you can actually change the cartridge and stylus on it. Got mine fully working and in good condition for $95AU, and got a new and better stylus for $31AU.

There's no such thing.

being lucky at a garage sale or thrift shop

I got an LP60 off CL for $60

works great

Absolutely wrong OP, and anyone who tells you is not being a snob, we're just trying to help you out in the long run. You're better off getting a nice used TT with a counterweight, or perhaps a U Turn Orbit or AT LP120. The 120's work like tanks, I own one myself, and it runs smoothly.

The LP60 is a perfectly adequate baseline player. People massively oversell the importance of counterweights; they are important, particularly for more serious vinyl hobbyists, but plenty of garbage players with counterweights exist, just as there are a handful of budget players without counterweights that come pre-balanced well enough not to fuck your records. The LP60 is one such player, and the only real drawback is the lack of fine tuning and more advanced features which you'd get on a more expensive TT.

In the heyday of vinyl records, the majority of turntables in homes didn't have counterweights. Record players are not designed to fuck up your records; companies want their products to be viewed positively, and it's not a rule that no counterweight = record wrecker. However, if OP is looking for a long term investment, he absolutely should go for a decent player with a replaceable cartridge and a counterweight. When starting out and trying to determine if the hobby is for you or not, the LP60 is basically the ideal idiot-proof starter that won't hurt your wallet too much if you decide it's not for you.

addendum: Crosley is the exception. They're fucking garbage because they're made with cheapshit parts, the tonearm is balanced to fucking twice the maximum recommended weight because the cheap chinese ceramic cartridge can't track properly otherwise, and the platter is an undersized and rickety piece of shit that distorts the sound from the very start of use. Do not buy a Crosley, OP.

OP a couple months ago I REALLY wanted to get into vinyl. My budget was the same as yours.

First TT: got a new one off Amazon. Forgot which it was exactly but it was top rated. It broke after like a week and would play at really weird speeds. Returned it and apparently it was a common problem

Second TT: I got a decent record player off some dude for pretty cheap on Craigslist. The guy was a half wit and knew less about vinyl than I do so I got it for a really good price. I mostly used it to play random records I found at secondhand stores in town. I really liked it until I found an of Montreal album that I always liked. I popped it on, noticed something didn't sound right, and played the album off my phone at the same time. It sounded 100x better in my phone

Third TT: remembered my parents had an old TT back home. Decided to get it and try it out. Turned out the needle was fucked so I went to order a new one but those things are so expensive you might as well buy a new TT

decided to give up after that

I still have the one I got from Craigslist and I use it to listen to my secondhand obscure records that can't be found on the internet, but the whole thing is mostly forgotten in my mind now

Moral of the story: if you're doing it for audiophile reasons, you're going to need a lot more money. If you're doing it for the aesthetic of being a high school girl then who gives a shit which one you get