/daily/ - "rest in palth" edition

It's the first of August.

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

>make charts
neverendingchartrendering.org/

>listen to tunes
plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel

>listenalong schedules, OP pics, etc.
daily-mu.blogspot.com/p/welcome.html

Previously, on /daily/:

Other urls found in this thread:

www42.zippyshare.com/v/kr2SyuCL/file.html
erictaxxon.bandcamp.com/album/winter-beats
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenin_was_a_mushroom
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/vajra__vasara_/キ・『やっと』__mandala_cat_last_/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/чёрный_лукич/будет_весело_и_страшно/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/ksiezyc/ksiezyc/
mega.nz/#!lYcThSAY!Gd-PjhPco6qVGY8PjwQWlGfobZDD9w3ixOoWIKcj_kY
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/willie-colon/lo-mato/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/yarn/yarn-1/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/товарищ/что-угодно-как-угодно/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/цукор-біла-смерть/манірна-музика-manirna-muzyka/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/казма-казма/пляски-трубадуров/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/світлана-охріменко-and-олександр-юрченко/знаєш-як-розкажи/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/коллежский_асессор/колл_ас/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/древо_f1/пісні_з_україни/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/михайло_хай/ukrainska_lira/
rateyourmusic.com/~Clavietika
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/верба-хльос/верба-хльос/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/julian-kytasty/black-sea-winds-the-kobzari-of-ukraine/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/неборок/страхітливі-уродини/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/раббота_хо/репетиция_без_оркестра/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/elza/мир_эльзы/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/пан_кіфаред/live/
youtube.com/watch?v=M--FZxP3J2A&feature=youtu.be
youtube.com/watch?v=rtaWXtudxIw
youtube.com/watch?v=ypiTaw-3DVs
threethirtythree.bandcamp.com/track/--13
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

thinking bout s

anime sucks

music sucks

life sucks

He ok?

I can't believe he made a great song about boredom

s can you post that mix again? I didn't get it right away and now I cant find it

heck this is pretty good desu

unhalfbricking is incredible, whoa

Goldie - Timeless (1995)
>atmospheric drum and bass

Goldie has undeniable production chops, that's for sure. That doesn't mean his album has to be nearly two hours, though. The title track is a monolithic, fittingly timeless piece of drum and bass, melding the ethereal and the banging with ease. The 21 minutes blow right buy, something I can't say about the 90 minutes that make up the rest of the album. It's all well-done and well-produced, which means little if most tracks serve as slightly different attempts at doing the same exact song. Ethereal, new-agey humming; soul-esque vocals; light breaks here and there. Rinse and repeat, and you get Timeless.

2.5-

i just can't believe he made an album that solid, "See You Again" is one of my favorite songs of the year.

related, holy fuck i didn't realize that was tyler singing the first verse

I know, right??
everyone else hated cherry bomb, but I was impressed and I knew something really good was coming after. so pleased to hear such progression

Bone Thugs-N-Harmony - E. 1999 Eternal (1995)
>gangsta rap

Listening to this, I felt exactly how I feel about Drake. When they try and be super tough and gangsta, they sound ridiculously corny (seriously, hearing those melodic triplet flows sing about shooting people is hilarious). On the other hand, their pop stuff is sublime. Seriously, "Tha Crossroads" is a pretty damn incredible pop tune, as is the comparatively pretty poppy "1st of tha Month". Not coincidentally, these two tracks also happen to be singles. Bone Thugs-N-Harmony are definitely a pretty great songs act, while their albums as a whole leave quite a bit desired. I guess I should hate them out of memphis rap purity, but whatever.

The Residents - Commercial Album (1980)
>art pop, satire, minimal synth

I might be missing the point of this given that I didn't listen to each song three times in a row like the band suggests, not having 120 minutes to spare. So, in my diminished capability to talk about this, it's definitely weaker both from a musical and a satirical standpoint than a lot of the Residents' other stuff. Their attempt to deconstruct advertising jingles ends up more like a collection of 40 half-baked pop-ish tunes. There's a certain brilliance to how these purposefully soulless songs are constructed, this brilliance easily overshadowed by the fragmented style. There are incredible moments of brilliance, like the weird, deconstructed march drumming that appears on quite a few tracks, and the absolutely amazing "The Coming of the Crow", which often outweigh the negatives.

2.5+

i can't even deny that i hated cherry bomb too lol, so i'm even more pleased with flower boy.

oh fucking hell i just realized that tektra is 5 hours

i can't do that

Good morning daily
Music today, again.
Thanks me too.
www42.zippyshare.com/v/kr2SyuCL/file.html
Radigue is three (and well worth it).

ye i can do three, five in one sitting is way too much for me, i'd rather not break up a non-compilation into separate sittings.

I think you can do trilogie in one sitting but also one disc each time, as each piece works just as well on its own, but it's up to you.
It's the best music for cold mornings also. Can't wait for winter.

Fairport Convention - Unhalfbricking (1969)
>british folk rock

I should kick myself for not being the biggest fan of Liege & Lief, because this is doing things to me I didn't know a british folk rock album could do. I've never really cared for the genre, stemming from my general distaste towards traditional british music in general, but this completel decimates every preconceived notion I had regarding the genre. It's intense during the longer compositions, impressively jaunty during the shorter, poppier tracks, and everything is bolstered by heartrending performances by Sandy Denny. Listen to this.

i might do a disc a sitting, but it seems like a very easy album to get lost in

alright boyos i'm going on vacation in the morning so i'll be mostly MIA until saturday

The Beatnigs - The Beatnigs (1988)
>industrial hip hop, political hip hop, conscious hip hop

Mindblowing, anachronistic beats, really middling vocals. The vocals are pretty funny at times, especially on the intro, but none of the rappers have any flow or power at all, allowing the production to run circles around them. How ahead of its time the production is aside, it really hits hard, the drums are great but what's more impressive is the weird industrial funk noise going on over them. Sadly, the weirdly goofy vocals hurt the album as a whole, as do the more funk rock-esque tracks.

2.5+

benicio del frenchio was aight but i'm definitely missing something not speaking french
pelt was a bit hit n miss till i finished it and immediately had to listen again
armstrong is always pleasant if not always great

>Unhalfbricking
Fuck yes, bud. L&L not do much, tho. Pretty sure the gulf between these two is why I can't listen to a second Sparks album.

what sparks album are you talking about?

Heeeeey my new album just came out. Listen when feeling down. Reviews appreciated.

erictaxxon.bandcamp.com/album/winter-beats

The worst genre is _____

alt rock

(you)

rip
Infiniment is probably a thorough introduction to Brel but probably not the best for starters, especially if you don't speak French. Maybe one of his more popular albums would've been better but well.
Brassens and Ferré will probably leave you the same. Although they're pretty different: Brassens is pretty austere, guy with a guitar singing songs accompanied by a bass whereas Ferré is very theatrical with big arrangements and feels more like a poet than a songwriter. Also most of his stuff isn't translated I think, as opposed to Brel and Brassens. But yeah, the lyricism is a big attraction toward these artists though not the only thing that draws people to them.

close it's art rock

also
>benicio del frenchio
damn, he does look like him on there

BAck from the trip to Slovenia, listened to most of the stuff Mark and Letov recced me. Liked almost everything, especially "Iгop Цимбpoвcький - Przyjdź aniele"

My whole life is a trip tho, tomorrow I'm going to Ucraine.

Rec more music thanks

Maybe because I'd just rewatched snatch but all I can see when I see the cover now
Yeah my french is pisspoor, I would alternately read translated lyrics but had trouble keeping that up. He has a great voice and the backing band was excellent, it just definitely feels very lyrically focused. Will probably revisit in a year or two when I've brushed up on my french.
Finished Some Combinations of Fingers and Passions as well; I felt that I would have enjoyed seeing it performed in full live more than listening to it. Live it would almost feel like a comedy show bringin in so many different melodies and opposing them, recorded like it was it felt sterile and technical wankery

Eh, I find it pretty interesting though I usually go through individual tracks more often than through the whole record, a whole hour of solo experimental piano like that can be tiring. And his other stuff with other musicians I don't find as interesting because it's progressive stuff.
Also
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenin_was_a_mushroom

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/vajra__vasara_/キ・『やっと』__mandala_cat_last_/
the band i told you about in florence, daikanjyo lineup except shoji is replaced by haino
still worth a listen, it's p gud

Question for Letov (or for anyone that knows the answer).

Currently listening to

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/чёрный_лукич/будет_весело_и_страшно/

And there's a song that is taken from a GrOb album. Is it just a cover orthere's something else?

looks very promising thanks

>Przyjdź aniele
would you mind uploading this one for me, if you have a solid internet connection in all your traveling? ive had it on my wishlist for a year now and every time i look for it i can never find it.

Connection is shit but i'm uploading it anyways. It'll take around 40 mins!

what did I rec you again?

Hilary Hahn I think was one of them

or was it the only one

my memory is dead

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/ksiezyc/ksiezyc/

:o

glad you liked em my dude

Here you go!

>Ihor Cymbrows'kyj - Przyjdź Aniele (1996)
mega.nz/#!lYcThSAY!Gd-PjhPco6qVGY8PjwQWlGfobZDD9w3ixOoWIKcj_kY

thx : - )

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/willie-colon/lo-mato/

oh btw i rec this to you. not european, but its something i've had fantasies of walking around a foreign city while listening to. it's pretty nice.

Why do communists ruin everything

I can definitely see that, he seems like a super technically profiecient and well studied musician, I think that particular album didn't light my fire so I will keep looking into him
Especially after that phenomenal article? Fuck man

>why do communists ruin everything
that's a dangerous game yer playing around here bucko

I think it was written during the time Letov and Kuzmin were in the group Spinki Menta, but when they split they ended up re-purposing it for their own particular sound.

Since you'll be in Ukraine, make sure to check out some of the records from "Novaya Scena", their mostly forgotten music scene.

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/yarn/yarn-1/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/товарищ/что-угодно-как-угодно/ (their live albums are better but you should start here)
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/цукор-біла-смерть/манірна-музика-manirna-muzyka/ (also worth listening is their professionally recorded album, Selo)
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/казма-казма/пляски-трубадуров/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/світлана-охріменко-and-олександр-юрченко/знаєш-як-розкажи/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/коллежский_асессор/колл_ас/
Folk music of the non-avant kind:
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/древо_f1/пісні_з_україни/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/михайло_хай/ukrainska_lira/

oh my god it's like a letov link greatest hits comp

Why are these people even allowed to exist?
rateyourmusic.com/~Clavietika

>fav genres
>Dark Cabaret and Melodic Metalcore
dropped faster than a hot potato

TAKE ANOTHER LOOK SONNY, IT'S GONNA HAPPEN AGAIN!

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/верба-хльос/верба-хльос/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/julian-kytasty/black-sea-winds-the-kobzari-of-ukraine/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/неборок/страхітливі-уродини/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/раббота_хо/репетиция_без_оркестра/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/elza/мир_эльзы/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/пан_кіфаред/live/

why is this like 600 times better than down colorful hill

trans and borz move on!
last round for this half of the tourney, after this one i'll be moving onto the second part.
no restrictions as usual. gl!

>ricebean recs Hear Hums - Opens

pure Here Comes The Indian/Feels worship, though as you'd expect not near as good as those (((((((masterpieces))))))). i love hearing bands anco has so clearly influenced it makes me feel nice. this isn't bad or anything and there are some nice sounds n stuff but its a very distractingly watered down version of that stuff.
5/10

>transgod recs Unexpect - In A Flesh Aquarium

i can definitely see why you recommended this one. enjoyable, although i do enjoy this sort of thing more outside of the context of the metal-ness. it is very admirable how well they match tim smith at utter insanity yet still being digestible although i think its missing tim's ability to make that complex insanity the catchiest and most memorable thing you'll ever hear. this one is more of a mash of sounds that lead into more mash. although it's a very nice sounding mash in the end. will listen to this one some more in the future, its definitely something that needs continued digesting.
6/10

(1/2)

>borzoi recs YMO - Naughty Boys

a bit of a deceiving title, you might expect something sexy or hip, but this is more of YMO's classic sound. further continuing into their gradual video game music-y influence it would fit well with the opening or closing cinematic of an old snes or ps1 jrpg, where the characters are not just happy, but content, which to me is the greatest feeling you can have and staring out into the sea from the green grassy mountain on the shore. it's a very particular emotional sound found only in japanese music from around the time of this album's release and something i connect to really well. momentarily content but in the very back of your mind a flat longing for another truly fulfilling moment like the ones you had when you were a kid. anything that makes me feel like that is special in some way.
8/10

blapp recs Huntsville - For The Middle Class

really nice droney kraut repetition primitivism improv. QUITE jim o'rourkey and i would recommend it to any fan of his. when the banjo and upright bass and jazzy drums and glitching guitar noise and i think tabla come together on Add A Key of Humanity it makes one of the most hypnotic grooves ive heard in a long time. this one makes me want to listen to more of this kind of music again, it's been a while since i was really into it. quality rec blapper.
7/10

(2/2)

btw my reviews are probably shitty because i type them as random thoughts while im listening and dont re read them after i'm done. i'd like to try and write more substantial things in the future although i'm not sure how exactly i'd like to talk about the music. i find that ones where the reviwer just talks about what happens in the songs are pretty boring and dime a dozen, but the more abstract feeling i have while hearing something that makes me experience them are very difficult to put into words for me.

Kimono My House, the first auto-4.5 from the 1970s in my "1001 albums" list

Pretty sure you would at least like a lot Propaganda if you loved Kimono My House straight away

kimono is sooo good. i think i like propaganda just as much as it too. the mael bros were onto something

Alright I'll stop being a pussy

RIP to my last French chart from July! Italian chart incoming…

>GRM/Xenakis • Electro-Acoustic Music
"Bohor" (1962) on the A-side is pure otherworldly Industrial Harsh Drone from 1971. White noise-core.
The B-side sounds more organic: "Concret P-H II" and "Diamorphoses II" are calmer, like some Ambient White Noise, but "Orient-Occident III" is a bit more chaotic (w/ gamelans).

>Melmoth • La devanture des ivresses
LMAO: the guy can't sing and his lyrics are awful…

>Les Maledictus Sound • s/t
This goofy Psych Rock sounds like it was made by someone who has no idea what Psych Rock actually is: it's closer to Library Music territory than actual Rock.

>Charles Aznavour • Entre deux rêves
It opens with one of the famous Aznavour song "Emmenez-moi", then 11 more great songs (ie. the epic "Yerushalaim") follows, with lush symphonic arrangements. Very solid LP.

>Françoise Hardy • Le premier bonheur du jour
Qt & twee.

>Jean-Jacques Perrey • Musique électronique du cosmos
Goofy melodies on early synths: sounds like television jingles for early 70's TV shows for children.

>Boulez/Schoenberg/Varèse • Hyperprisme; Octandres; Intégrales / Suite Op. 29
Great short pieces (from 1923-1925) by Varèse: no (obvious) melodies, aggressive percussions, very colorful, nonetheless dramatic and with a strong narration. The Schoenberg suite is more melodic; I think a wider range of instruments is used in a more perplexing composition. It's overall strident but playful.

>Serge Gainsbourg • Du chant à la une !…
"Le Poinçonneur des Lilas" is a classic; the rest is waaaaay too dated.

>André Popp • Delirium in Hi-Fi
It could work as a nice colorful movie soundtrack (ie.Jacques Tati movies) or Warner Brs move cartoons, but as itself, it's painfully dated and too wacky.

>Boris Vian • Chansons possibles et impossibles
Adorable old quirky songs.

>the guy can't sing and his lyrics are awful
>still gets a 5/10

lomger

hey guys, can you rec me some sparse, sad bastard music like vic chesnutt, bonnie prince billy, david thomas broughton, elliott smith or nick drake?

Gillian Welch - Time (The Revelator)
Bill Callahan - Apocalypse (or anything else too)
Phosphorescent - Pride
Cass McCombs - Catacombs
Grouper - Ruins
Fred Neil - The Many Sides of Fred Neil
Steve Earle - El Corazon

townes van zandt s/t

>go to Goodwill
>pick out every writable cassette that isn't identifiably music
>go to the register
>"I'm sorry sir, these should have never been on the floor. We can't sell unofficially recorded media."
wat do?
I wanted to some kind of tape collage /b found sounds to record against some songs I wrote on guitar.

Glad you liked Malicorne, I think I rec it for lamb's tournament

his live performances are kind of insane
youtube.com/watch?v=M--FZxP3J2A&feature=youtu.be

IN THE KIIIIIINGDOM

(this)
youtube.com/watch?v=rtaWXtudxIw

Stop posting your awful profile and kys degenerate

ya it's on there, will hear soon

youtube.com/watch?v=ypiTaw-3DVs

Listened through the first four Elliott Smith albums, quite interesting how he seems to improve on every release, XO is brilliant. Going to give more concise insight onto them in due time. Will try Led Zeppelin in a day or so, don't really know what to expect - I remember back in days of secondary school one of my friends who was far more into music (dad-rock, though given that I was listening to dubstep at the time it was pretty hardcore) used to like Led Zeppelin and me and my friend used to call it Zep Leppelin and they seemed highly disgruntled. Any stories you guys have of stuff of people being perturbed on the subject of music?

Recommend me something based in my recently added

no

nah

nope

Are you just transgod's alt or something

and I would absolutely skip that Foster the People album
and Queen
and Andrew WK

>and Queen
>and Andrew WK
m8...

i'm trans but not a god, haha

I'm sorry but i loved that Andrew WK album! Why you don't like it?

i dont like getting wet

mods please ban this person, they are underage

Try that Patchanka album, sounds like something you'd order at a Taco Bell.

you have no proofs
dang...
thanks, also, you can recommend me something aside from these albums but based on them?

>i'm trans
kys

You can't kill something that doesn't have life, i'm not living, i'm just wasting time...

this isn't the artist's fault at all, but there are a few seconds of this track that sound exactly like the nostalgia critic opening theme
threethirtythree.bandcamp.com/track/--13

i thought this would be a meme but its actually good wtf

has anyone done this
post scores

what a waste of time!

>mfw i submitted a new artist to RYM and it got approved in 10 minutes

if i include the meme artist and his album that i'm known for around here, 0.641976

this post alone disproves the formula

what's wrong with popularity like, there's a reason loads of people listen to bands like The Stooges and TVU

back to Sup Forums i guess

600 people scrobble telstar drugs how is this surprising

>tfw mine gets approved in 14 minutes