/lang/ - Language Learning thread

>What language are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Find people to train your language with!

>Language learning resources:
4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Sup Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

duolingo.com/
>Duolingo is a free language-learning platform that includes a language-learning website and app, as well as a digital language proficiency assessment exam. Duolingo offers all its language courses free of charge.

>Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30+ languages.

drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk#
>Google Drive folder with books for all kinds of languages.

fsi-languages.yojik.eu/languages/oldfsi/index.html
>Drill based courses with text and audio.The Foreign Service Institute (FSI) is the United States federal government's primary training institution for employees of the U.S. foreign affairs community.These courses are all in public domain and free to download.Site may go down sometimes but you can search for fsi on google and easily find a mirror.

memrise.com/
>Free resource to learn vocabulary, nice flash cards.

lingvist.com/
>It's kinda like Clozemaster in the sense that you get a sentence and have to fill in the missing word, also has nice statistics about your progress, grammar tips and more information about a word (noun gender, verb aspects for Russian, etc.)

ankisrs.net/
>A flash card program

clozemaster.com/languages
>Clozemaster is language learning gamification through mass exposure to vocabulary in context.Can be a great supplementary tool, not recommended for absolute beginners.

tatoeba.org/eng/
>Tatoeba is a collection of sentences and translations with over 300 hundred languages to chose from.

radio.garden/
>Listen to radio all around the world through an interactive globe

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/JN01tWVF
lang-8.com
italki.com
mylanguageexchange.com
pastebin.com/CgH2B1eX
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

pastebin.com/JN01tWVF
>Few more resources that didn't fit into OP

What have you done today for your language studies friends?

Didn't do much, barely 10 minutes of memrise.

I am trying to start learning Japanese again. I spent a few years learning it in the past on the side, then switched to Russian for a while in College. Now since I have some free time I am trying to come back to it. Mostly just going over old notes and working on re-familiarizing myself with the basics.

lang-8.com
italki.com (never used it myself)

What language are you working on OP?

I'm studying Swedish as of now, progress have been slow for this past month as I had some other stuff to do.

Yeah they are on the pastebin since OP has a limit

pastebin.com/JN01tWVF

If you know some free stuff that's not on there and not just specific to one language post them and I'll add it to pastebin.

I am curious what made you decide Swedish?

I only had access to Swedish stuff at the time, so I went with it, now I'm too deep to pull out.

I want to learn Spanish.

Learning russian through duolingo. Lot's of work to do.

Same thing with me and German

Why would you learn russian?

Russian is tough, but ты мoжeшь cдeлaть этo!

Well, there's also mylanguageexchange.com

Förresten, hur bra är du på svenska?

Italian

I only ever learned language with Assimil, is Duolingo anygood?

I can't pick a language and nobody around me speaks another one. The curse of being British.

What do?

I want to learn a Finno-Ugric language, should I go for Sami or Finnish?

Jag har börjat lara mig svenska sen 6 manader.But I'm like really rusty right now with other stuff I had to do, I can understand B1 but speak maybe A2.Sen nar har ni studerat svenska?Do you also speak other languages?Also added in your resource.

pastebin.com/CgH2B1eX

If you already know a bit, then it's not that helpful.

Just pick one, get a solid base in your target language and then start looking for native speakers on the internet. That's my plan with Finnish at least.

I've done that before but I get bored of not really having a use for them. The languages I'm closest to in terms of heart are people whose cultures I'm not interested in. I end up stopping halfway.

Själv blev jag intresserad av svenska för ganska länge sedan (i mina tonår). För det mesta har jag lärt mig själv, men har också tagit 2 halvårs kurser på universitetet. Sedan dess har jag inte "pluggat" svenska ordentligt, men jag har läst svenska böcker nästan varje dag de senaste åren.
På universitetet tog jag till och med 4 kurser i finska, men sanningen att säga har jag tappat motivationen (för tillfället :^)) och förstår väldigt lite.
Grekiska är det språket som fascinerar mig nuförtiden.

Fuck learning a language based on how "useful" it is.

Du lernst auch Finnisch?

None of them really. Unless I learn a poo-in-loo language, Arabic or Somali - but I don't want to hang out with those.

Sami has several distinct dialects. There is no single sami language.

Finnish has most speakers (if we don't count Hungarian) and it is closest so Sweden.

Sami languages
Pros: Spoken in northern Sweden (I plan on moving there in the future), the people that speak it has a cool culture, it has few speakers so by learning it I help preserve the languages
Cons: Few speakers so not much use, Samis all speak Swedish anyway, harder to find a teacher

Finnish
Pros: Sounds cool, lots of speakers, useful if I visit Finland, will allow me to participate in Finnish memes
Cons: None

I really wish I could learn both but that's too much for my brain to handle

pretty sure they speak some kind of swe-fin pidgin in northern sweden close to the border

In Tornedalen they speak Meänkieli which is like Finnish with Swedish words thrown in here and there

Would they bitch about you learning "their" language like some American Indians do?

Probably not. I think the situation is different because Samis and Swedes are both white amd we haven't treated them as badly as the Americans did with their natives

How were they treated?

And hey, at least they weren't treated as bad as the Ainu were by the Japs.

Ignored for most of history. Then during WW2 and slightly into the 60s our government went slightly nazi and decided to try eugenics. Finns and Samis classified as subhuman and so a bunch of their women were forcefully sterilized. Samis were also not allowed to speak their language

Today it's the opposite, Samis are treated very well by our government who gives them lots of money and privileges to preserve their culture and language. The only Swedes who still hate Samis are some autists here on Sup Forums

Hi Seb

>but you something something that is!
I'm sure I'll get to it eventually, cпacибo!

Also learning Finnish, how are you getting your 'solid base' friend?

I feel that drinking energy drinks (specifically Monster) really helps my language studies. Try it sometime

I finished the skill tree and didn't get that
Do you have to get to level 25 too?