Other urls found in this thread:

europeisnotdead.com/
forebears.co.uk/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

mfw we're special snowflakes

>tfw know a French Basque called Martin

such a weirdo

It's called being always one step ahead of Zeitgeist

Took me a second to get the joke. When I did, I must admit, I had myself a good chuckle.I typically don't find 'internet humor' especially amusing or relatable. Nonetheless, in today's bitter political climate, I find solace in a little bit of an injection of humor into this crazy world. Anyways, good job, hope to see more of this in the future.....

But Martin is obviously a pathronomic.

>tfw single out at school because of the autistic way Icelanders give their name

If only I was born when they made the law here not give weird names like it is now.

Daily reminder that it your most popular surname is indo-european you were cucked by steppe niggers

>Estonia
>Ivanov

>smirnov
>father's first name
really?
>adjective
Smirniy is adjective

russed

Murphy - Muir Fianna - Sea Warriors

>tfw you know 0 person(s) with the most common lastname in your country

It's one of the loser lastnames btw

I see, so you're named after the English.

What does Melnik mean in Ukrainian, is it "miller"? We have an old town of that name.

my parents are portuguese and i have garcia wot

Yes
>father's first name
I've just learned it's true.

i thought for sure it was mywifesson in sweden

>Lithuania
>Kazlauskas
>Literally lithuanification of Russian surname Kozlov
What a meme nation.

Based Saint Martin

>Martin
>Martinus
>literally comes from the word Mars
we wuz warriors and shieet

Manoel Thorsen?

Certains s'appellent Juste Martin.

"they're a nation with a meme shared history, which is why we should own their clay" -@russia 2017 on twitter

I know 1 or 2 person named Yılmaz it's not a common name

i am most common surname in my cunt, can confirm

>grandma and gramps were both korhonen before they even married
>when youre a literal inbred freak

>Your father's name was "Mywife"
tell me more portugal, was he repressed?

>when youre a literal inbred freak
Finn will do

We have elf surnames
Azevedo - Holly(plant)
Campos-Fields
Carvalho- Oak
Coutinho-Little enclosed pasture
Lima-Lime
Figueiredo-Fig tree
Leite-Milk
Mata-Woods
Oliveira-Olive tree
Pereira-Pear tree
Ribeiro-River stream
Rocha-Rock
Rosa-Rose
Silva-Brambles
Teixeira-Yew tree

What does Popa means in Romanian? In Russian it means "ass" (not in offensive way, rather childish)

UNDERRATED

Rossi = true Italic

That looks more like a Hobbit naming custom.

yes master

You guys don't have wild/forest surnames?

Those are literally galicians

So in castille,andalusia,catalunya it's not normal?

Bulgaria and Belarus have the best surnames

Dunno, I have friends with those surnames or ex classmates

>Ivan most common name in Bulgaria
>Ivanov most common surname in Bulgaria
no originality

No, most likely spanish

There are,
Montes: Mountains
Serrano: Highlander
[del]Río[s]: [from]River[s]

Are fairly common.
Then names like Robles (Oaks) and so on are not unheard of. As has said Galician surnames tend to be more floralike,

Question for French people

Very common French (Acadian) last names in Atlantic Canada are names like Blanchard, Boudreau, Doucet, Gallant, Gaudet, Arsenault, Benoit, Cormier, Chaisson, Gauthier, etc. Are any of these names popular in France?

>tfw my name's a French variation of Rossi
SPQR'd

la bonne blague

>be called Ivan Ivanov Ivanov

just fuck my shit up

Also, this site has some cool maps, don't know why the guy left Russia out in all of them though: europeisnotdead.com/

map's about surnames

Depends. Gauthier (and variations) is very common, Blanchard is kinda common I guess.
I'm not sure about the other ones, but they really sound typically French. I've heard some of them here and there (Gaudet, Chaisson for example).

They look quite old. I've met only one Gaudet and Gauthier.

Bērziņš comes from bērzs, which means birch tree.

>France doesn't have a Gallic surname

According to forebears.co.uk/ Benoit is quite common too. I don't think I've ever met one though, Benoît is usually given as a first name.

>Are any of these names popular in France?
Pic related

Stuff like Peña, Rosa, Mata, Naranjo, Manzano, Prado, Montes, Campos, Flores, Ribera, Robles, Olmos, etc is quite common here, but idk which part of Spain those surnames are from
Some anons have said Galicia

That's neat, thanks. These names are stupidly common in the Maritimes since Acadians almost all descend from a relatively small number of settlers in the 17th and 18th centuries.

It's Olafson.

._.

Not telling my first name.

yeah they're fairly common, a bit old style

>a bit old style

Am I correct in saying that Canadian French is like this in general to continental French-speakers?

Olá Rui

I don't know a single person with the surname Novak. Nor do I know a person with the surname Kranjc, which is the second most popular surname.

What, 1950?

You're forced to pick from a List of first names if and only if your parents are both Portuguese. This is so that the names follow orthographic conventions. Luís de Camões wrote his name as Luiz de Camoens, and why a lot of our older diaspora kept their names as Souza instead of the modern Sousa.

You're also forced to have the surname of at least one of your parents, but I'm not sure if it applies to immigrants' children.

Not him but yes

yeah sort of, I'd rather say they're both french languages that evolved differently over time.

seems to me like Canadian French is a mix of old style French (not "very" old, just a bit oldy) and their local slang

Surnames about natural stuff aren't from a specific spanish place, they only mean that your ancestors are probably sephardic jews.

oy vey

>tfw only one given named, middle name, and surname
>tfw no cool slavic or iberian naming conventions

Also why do Hungarians have their family name before their given name? Are the they only Europeans to do this?

Same for Brazilian/Portuguese. Their's is a bit more archaic in construction, but use a slangy vocabulary. I think this happened in all of the main languages spoken in the new world.

That's a very old wrong trivia trope, actually. Pic related was no Jew, for example.

>tfw surnames are an Asturian town and a regular patronomic
Phew

That has nothing to do with it.
Aboab, Abravanel, Albarrux, Azenha, Benafull, Benafaçom, Benazo, Caçez, Cachado, Çaçom/Saçom, Carraf, Carilho, Cide/Cid, Çoleima, Faquim, Faracho, Faravom, Fayham/Fayam, Focem, Çacam/Sacam, Famiz, Gadim, Gedelha, Labymda, Latam/Latão, Loquem, Lozora, Maalom, Maçon, Maconde, Mocatel, Mollaão, Montam, Motaal, Rondim, Rosall, Samaia/Çamaya, Sanamel, Saraya, Tarraz, Tavy/Tovy, Toby, Varmar, Verdugo/Berdugo, Zaaboca, Zabocas, Zaquim, Zaquem

The Belmonte Jews (crypto-Jews from the Belmonte region in Portugal) also bear surnames that cannot be used to distinguish them from the older Catholic Portuguese families. Using tree names as surnames was not a common practice among converted or non-converted Portuguese Jews, before or after their expulsion in 1497.

The first surnames were jewish surnames of converted jews in iberia

>I think this happened in all of the main languages spoken in the new world.
agree with this

Not rare, but not popular either.

Surely we should, Baltics cannot be allowed to exist.

Horváth, hungarian name meaning croat

>accent on the first syllable

only non-Slavs (Poles, Croats, Serbs, Americans) do that.

>Croatia
>Horvat
>Slovakia
>also Horvat

here's your well deserved (You)

Ils ont pas de prénom ?

>García
>adjective

It's patronimic af.

It appears as a pathronomic and adjective, as the first name from which it comes may have a descriptive origin.

Good job

Bonchour monsieur Leblanc UNE FOIS

>tfw almost named andersson but got my mother's rare name instead

sadly it is g*rman

That's pretty cool

>gorhonen :DDD

>be spanish
>get BASQUED

What are you on about, Hans Giovanni? Our accent in on the penultimate syllable.

>true Italic
>Rossi has been used frequently by various historical sources as The Rossi or Varangian Rossi in reference to an originally Scandinavian tribe that purportedly gave rise to the people known as the Rus.

>Müller
jaja thats funny because it means Woman in portuguese

interesting, maybe there is some deep indo-European link(ancient Ligurians were reported to call themselves "Ambrones" just like a north European tribe the Romans were fighting in the Cimbrian wars, to name something similar), but R1b-U152 is definitely linked to the Italics

I'm Smith, where can I get a UK citizenship?

>mfw my surname is García

Well, I guess it is still better than having one of those horrible basque surnames (I know García is from Basque origins, too).

>mfw I'm called stair (Escada)

No.We say ''mulher''

Which a Spaniard would write "muller" since they don't use the "lh".

lol

>Papadopoulos