Discord:
discord.gg/neA547g

Last Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#!EMQRBa4C!o8o5g1SAVQcA9L3kxcidgLkpFAowt2q5sUju_pNfKuE
es.wikipedia.org/wiki/On'yomi
es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kun'yomi
eow.alc.co.jp/search?q=finally
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_Al3FgNZSCVB0SXvkU9MHy8yErocdwcidNKr6QzPt0M/edit?usp=sharing
youtube.com/watch?v=2Pgl-JC2sgk
ankiweb.net/shared/info/942570791
djt.neocities.org/bunpou/full_day.html#㊦という
japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/3726/what-is-the-difference-between-いえ-and-うち
guidetojapanese.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2580
italki.com/question/175248?hl=ja
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

You CAN'T learn Japanese ;_;

出来なくなくなくなくなくなくなくなくなくなくなくなる

I think I'm doing good at memorizing what Kanji mean.
Like, if I glance at 漢字 I know it's Kanji. But I don't remember how to write many of them yet. I recognize them if I look at them, but if you asked me to write some of them, I'd draw a blank.
I'm not doing that good at recalling what some kanji are pronounced as well. The only way I remember sometimes is because I know what the Kanji means, and I know how the word is said, but not because I know how the Kanji is read. It's weird.
I know 上手 is pronounced じょうず (be good at something) only because I recognize the word, I recognize the two Kanji in there. But 上 is うえ (up) and 手 is て(hand). I guess I'm not too familiar with Japanese/Chinese readings yet for many Kanji I'm learning.

Should I not worry too much about the readings right now and just focus on what they mean?

>Should I not worry too much about the readings right now and just focus on what they mean?
What is your vocab like?
Do you want to learn how to write kanji from memory?
The above are two important questions.

Oh, I just meant for now. I mean I have full intention of learning how to write them and all that junk.
I was just wondering if for now I should just focus on recognizing them rather than going about memorizing them and learning their pronunciations. Anki cards only show words, but not how kanji are pronounced and such.

>Anki cards only show words, but not how kanji are pronounced and such.
What do you mean? The words are how the kanji are pronounced.

He's probably talking about how the furigana in core doesn't indicate which part of the reading belongs to which kanji.

All of that to one side, there are kanji decks in the CoR which you can use alongside your vocab study. May be worth giving a go to see if it helps as an auxiliary.
One such Anki deck was posted in the previous thread, so I'll repost that since it's contemporary.
mega.nz/#!EMQRBa4C!o8o5g1SAVQcA9L3kxcidgLkpFAowt2q5sUju_pNfKuE

Here is the related discussion, if you want to check it out for anything other anons mentioned:

Yes, like 午後 here, I know 後 is あと when alone but it's ご here.
So is the Japanese reading あと because the Kanji is alone? Is it Chinese reading ご when it's accompanied by another Kanji?

I could read 大学生 without problem because I already knew 大 is だい when paired with other Kanji, and 学生 is がく and せい and the same shit with the Chinese readings. But I still don't know what 学 or 生 are pronounced when they're alone.

So when something like 分かる appears, is 分 read as わ in Japanese reading because it's just that one Kanji, or is that the Chinese reading because it's paired with かる?

You're still thinking kanji are words. Sometimes, on their own, they can represent something.
In compounds, they are words. Learning the readings for them is on an individual basis.
If this doesn't sit well with you, I recommend you start your isolated kanji journey with 生

You should read it as わかる because かる is there for grammar and is essentially a part of this kanji. For me, learning individual kanji seems like a chore, so I just study words and pick up the kanji with their different readings this way (it's still helpful to look up the meanings of individual kanji when you encounter a new word though)

But then I come across weird things like 一番 being two Kanji together, yet 一 is still pronounced いち even when alone. And then you have 一つ yet it's ひと despite being alone and just having つ added in for grammar.
I don't know, I think it's weird, and that's just why I've been learning words instead of individual kanji and their readings. Because it's all fucking mess all over the place.

It's sort of what I'm doing, yeah.

>I recommend you start your isolated kanji journey with 生
This is a rather iconic kanji as a point meant against learning readings in isolation but while it has more readings than most kanji, it isn't game breaking.
音:
ショウ
セイ

訓:

なま

表外:
いのち
うぶ

It's a lot but it's more readings than most kanji.

How would you say "Finally" as in "you finally responded" or "he finally came"?

やっと
ようやく
ついに
These all require something to come after them - you can't use them on their own.
ついに来たー or something is okay.

ありがと

結局、出来るんじゃん
you know "skillful hands"
上手 has such meaning as this
watch following;
es.wikipedia.org/wiki/On'yomi
es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kun'yomi

> "Finally" as in "you finally responded" or "he finally came"
両方とも、「ついに」でいいです
eow.alc.co.jp/search?q=finally

you finally responded
君から、ついに返事をもらった
cf;
in the end, you responded
結局、君は返事をした

dead thread

Yo, did anyone give a look at this ?

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_Al3FgNZSCVB0SXvkU9MHy8yErocdwcidNKr6QzPt0M/edit?usp=sharing

Even if it's just a quick look at some sentences to see if they are mostly correct, I'd like to know if I'm not going full retard.

寝る子は育つ

>tfw can't read long sentences without breaking it up into multiple parts to translate and then piece together
how do I read properly?

Practicing for 1000 hours would be a good start.

うな丼欲しいです

寝る子は猫にゃん
翻訳するために複数の部分にぶち壊し且つ組み合わせることなしには、長文を読むことができない時の気持ち
ひつまぶし

ひまつぶし

The important part is to be able to tell the difference between native Japanese words 和語 and Chinese words 漢語.
In 漢語, kanji are used as "words" in the same way that a kanji is a word by itself in Chinese. So in Chinese, the kanji 白 is just "bai," the word for white, and the kanji 明 is just "ming," the word for clear. And you can put the two words together to make mingbai 明白 meaning "obvious." In Japanese, 明 is めい instead of ming, and 白 is はく instead of bai, and 明白 is めいはく. It's the Japanese pronounciation of a Chinese word.
In 和語, on the other hand, kanji are only used to represent the meaning of a word. The Japanese words しろ and あかるい, meaning "white" and "bright," do not have anything to do with Chinese and were invented by the Japanese independently, so to speak. But in order to write them, the Japanese use kanji that have a similar meaning, and it becomes 白, 明るい. Because Japanese words have conjugations but Chinese words do not, it becomes necessary to write inflected words with kana endings, like the るい in 明るい, so that the words 明るく, 明るけれ, etc. can all be told apart from each other in writing.

Don't respond to anons asking questions in English, with Japanese.
It's rude.

Impressive. After all, foreigner with Japanese proficiency is a much better teacher than we native Japanese.

loling
the answer is that you can not read "翻訳するために複数の部分にぶち壊し且つ組み合わせることなしには長文を読むことができない時の気持ち" any way

Bump

>"翻訳するために複数の部分にぶち壊し且つ組み合わせることなしには長文を読むことができない時の気持ち"

what's this ill-written sentence?

日本の英語教師はセックスと学生をありますか
>Do English teachers in Japan have sex with students?
Is this correct?

日本の英語教師は生徒とセックスをすることはありますか

>日本の英語教師は学生とセックスをすることがありますか

ur desire?

why the fuck is a game on learning japanese making me go to suicide forest, and there's literally creepy music playing and they hinted that all the dead people are wandering around as spirits

dekinai-chan is selling ropes there

hello my japanese friends, I have a request
can any of you please pronounce the world "baldarmatt" and record it on vocaroo?

When describing a person: 暑がり
Atsugari --

What's the connotation here? Is the general idea is that someone is infirm and heat is very troublesome? Or is the idea that the person just doesn't like to get hot?

Bump

暑がり - Noun
1. (person) sensitive to heat

When in doubt, it might as well be a set expression, always look it up!

Just transferred universities. My new uni has Computer Science as part of the Arts and Sciences college so I have a ton of requirements for my college. I have to take three language courses. I have taken JPN 1001 and I got an A and now I've learned that I have to take 3 Japanese language classes. How can I help myself get reinterested in Japanese stuff

>finish memorizing katakana and hiragana
>well that was easy.png
>about to learn my first N5 kanji
>20 different readings
Who makes these jokes?

Have you tried killing yourself?

why so hostile?

Arigatouuuu

Regarding Shouldn't it be either 日本を消滅する ((I) will destroy japan) or 日本が消滅 ((This is) Japans extinction)?

This is a really really dumb question

So I learned hiragana and katakana and I've been doing flash cards for the anki 2k-6k optimized deck for a few weeks now

I am confused over the arrangement of Japanese example sentences and the arrangement of the vocab terms. Let's say a vocab term is two kanji, and kanji 1 is on the left and kanji 2 is on the right at the top in anki. For the isolated vocab term. But when the example sentence comes up, the kanji is reversed, kanji 2 being on the left and kanji 1 on the right.

I know nothing about Japanese sentences grammar but the guide (to my understanding) said to grind vocab and worry about grammar later but this confuses me and I just want to make sure I learn correctly

If you stick with it, welcome to the next few years of your life.

Explore Japanese media and find something you want to learn, and befriend Japanese students at the uni.

What is the meaning of てくる in both of these contexts?

Why does Dad use きた in one case and くる in another when it seems like the same exact scenario? What are the differences between the "past"/non-past here for くる?

No idea what you're talking about, post a screenshot.

Did you not read my question?

it's basically the difference between "where are you learning this stuff" vs. what did you come up with THIS TIME

"Where are you learning these things? Grandma?"
vs.
"What have you learned this time?"

The second one is asking about one instance in the past, while the former seems to have a more imperfect flavor.

"ある動作をしてもとに戻る。…しに行って帰る。「買い物に行ってくる」「外国の事情をつぶさに見てこようと思っている」"

This might be the particular use of くる seen above, however I still think that it might mean something to the effect that the knowledge, the learned/memorized item/concept, has sort of "entered" into one, so to speak. I don't think I have studied てくる enough to fully grasp the nuance, and frankly it's not that important for at least a preliminary understanding.

Have any of you had Rikaisama's Anki Real-time Import function just stop working? I'm not sure why it stopped cause it was working fine one minute and then it just didn't the next within the same browser session. I tried restarting both Firefox and Anki but that didn't help anything it seems. As far as I can tell, that's the only thing that broke.

I noticed that the MPlayer process (which is tied to the Anki addon that lets me replay audio) was still there after closing Anki. Killing that and reopening Anki seems to have fixed it so nevermind.

"You could talk to the first old man well, huh?" meaning that she was polite/used proper language or whatever - is this the proper translation? This kinda makes sense to me because in the next frame Dad has a change of heart and buys her たい焼き, apparently as a reward.

English translation online says, "You really ran up and asked the first person you saw..."

Is it one of these or something different?

I think user started New Game+ on mirror mode, to crank up the difficulty.

I did, user, but I'm still confused. Don't you know what being sensitive to heat is?
What kind of disease is even that where you can't get hot, obesity?

Your question wasn't clear.
It means they get hot easily.
Same logic applies to 寒がり.

よく~できた implies that whatever was done took some courage. It can be used for good things (as in this case) or bad things. Think of it as "You've really got some balls to have been able to ~."

>What kind of disease is even that where you can't get hot
Heat intolerance can come from monopause and hyperthyroidism.

>Don't you know what being sensitive to heat is?
Do you know what the word connotation means? That translation, once again, is ambiguous and could refer to actual thermal intolerance or just an attitude of "being hot sucks." That's why I was looking for clarity.

Is it a casual conversation or a doctor/old woman talking about her menopause?

Dude.

It's a form for staying in a Japanese household. The section literally starts with:
私は

and has a checkboxes including 暑がり and 寒がり. So while I thought it might be about comfort level, I've never seen anything like this on an English form. Even when taking exchange students into our home we were never informed of if someone didn't "like being warm." The only reason we would ever hear something like that is if there was a medical reason. I certainly wasn't asked if I was "sensitive to cold" when I went to the UK to live with a family. The next questions on the form are about if I have any personal or religious habits that need to be disclosed.

I don't even recall any of my friends of family ever really talking about if they're sensitive to heat or cold unless there was an underlying medical reason. Do Japanese people think of themselves as being generally sensitive to one or the other? Is this a normal thing to think about for everyone in Japan? Or is this mostly a medical thing?

ハンプティダンプティ、壁の上に座って、ハンプティダンプティ、ドシンと落ちた。王様の馬のみんなも王様の家来のみんなもハンプティを元には戻せなかった。

>successfully out-autisming the most autistic /djt/ regular

Damn, looks like we got a new kid in town.

The more he explains, the more I don't understand.

user, let's try again:
Think about a house. A house where two people with different preferences live.

>Situation A:
It's summer. There is air-conditioning, but the temperature is not THAT hot. But person B is already sweating bullets and begging A to turn it on.

>Situation B:
It's summer. Person B is coping just fine with the current temperature, but it's dinner time. Person A is cooking his special recipe: ground beef with thyroid hormone tablets rolled up in iodine-rich kelp. Person B can't eat those because he has hyperthyroidism and it might worsen his condition, including the symptom of being sensitive to heat.

--

Now, which of these situations are more likely to be common-place in Japan, and could be used as a parameter for an apartment-sharing application form?

(´;ω;`)ブワッ

>Now, which of these situations are more likely to be common-place in Japan
I care about the connotation of the term to a Japanese person. Do you have any idea how this term is actually used? You know, by Japanese people in Japan?

>Is this a normal thing to think about for everyone in Japan?
This one.

roger

I don't know how the fuck Anki works so I'm just going to use books and shit like quizlet

I know that そんなことして何になる means something like "What's the point of that?" but I'm trying to understand the grammar of して. Is this just しても without the も, like "Even if (we) did that kind of thing, what would become (of it)?"?

Probably to describe someone who always turns down the AC.

What level should I be at before writing shit on Lang-8? I read that it's not helpful to use if you aren't experienced enough since you'll just get wrong corrections or just not understand them.

>私はその人と話すと喫茶店に行きます。
Reading Genki II. I get that this sentence sounds weird but I can't quite wrap my head around why you can't use 「と」 here and Genki's explanation doesn't really help me

"whenever=ときは" thus it's inappropriate sentence, you know.

youtube.com/watch?v=2Pgl-JC2sgk

That makes a lot more sense. Thank you.

たら and と always represent an antecedent followed be a subsequence. You going to the coffee shop does not necessarily precede talking with that person (時 is used here). Same if you were to use "If" instead of "When", then なら is used here.

>You going to the coffee shop does not necessarily precede talking with that person
By "precede" did you mean "follow"?
If so then does that mean the clause to the right has to occur immediately after the clause to the left? Does that imply that in this sentence this person would immediately get sick when winter arrived?

Not immediate, と usually marks the second sentence as an uncontrollable state/outcome. Unless you're using something like すぐ before かぜをひきました, when he catches the cold isn't really known (it just happens some time when winter starts).

>uncontrollable state/outcome
Alright, I get it now.
>usually
Genki only has examples that have uncontrollable states/outcomes. Should I worry about exceptions now, or just keep reading?

Don't dwell on this stuff, even if you don't understand something at first, you'll come to grasp it eventually. I'd focus mainly on finishing grammar and jumping into native material, you naturally learn the language through reading anyways.

I understand. Thank you

>計画によると、探査機は2018年11月〜2025年6月に全部で24回、太陽の近くまで行きます。2024年12月には、太陽の表面から600万kmぐらいの所まで行きます

I can't understand what either まで is doing here. What is the purpose of these までs?

Please help.

Nevermind, I think I figured it out

私の剣となり、盾となって?
Does this mean become my sword and shield? Or does なり imply a shield that acts like a sword or something like that?

>become my sword and shield
correct ,but it is literal transration.
sword and shield is metaphor .
sword means fight,shield means guard

I'm having fun with Kanji.

I'd be having more fun if just one of these fuckers turned blue already

Should I worry about something like this yet? Been doing Anki for about 1.5 weeks but this looks cool.

>昔々、名前はナカツクニの国がいました。
>Once upon a time, there was a country named nakatsukuni

This feels wrong, is there a better way to phrase this sentence?

Gotta keep chasing the dragon. We'll reach it one day.

It's a nice e-peen visualise.
Plus, it's cool seeing all the kanji in the deck/field you run it for.
This is the one I use (I think): ankiweb.net/shared/info/942570791

昔々、ナカツクニという国がありました。
Is a more grammatically correct and "traditional" way to phrase these sort of introductions.

>という
Is this と言う or something else?

Sure is man.
djt.neocities.org/bunpou/full_day.html#㊦という

What's the difference between いえ and うち when it comes to 家

japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/3726/what-is-the-difference-between-いえ-and-うち
guidetojapanese.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2580
italki.com/question/175248?hl=ja

If I want to say "I want to explore japan", what would be the correct verb to use for "explore"? Jisho only gives 探る "to explore (parts unknown)" - is the 'unknown' conditional relative to the person doing the exploring?

胡桃 is such a cool word. くるみ~