People in Latin America (except maybe Mexico and some others) think the Americas are a single continent called...

People in Latin America (except maybe Mexico and some others) think the Americas are a single continent called "America", and that therefore Americans -- the people from the nation named America -- don't have the right to use that demonym. This is usually fueled by hostility towards the USA instilled by political groups in Latin America who, uh, seek to oppose them.

In Brazilian Portuguese, we go as far as saying "United-Statesian" or "North American" (thereby even ignoring Canada and Mexico) to mean people from the country called America.

So, where do you stand, Sup Forums? Do you think the Americas are a single continent? Do you think it is okay for the "United-Statesians" to call themselves Americans? I'm interested in how people from other parts of the world see the Americas (here the "single America" thing really is in our education system by the way).

Other urls found in this thread:

pmsol3.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/averageargentinemale.jpg
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

LOS

MALVINAS

SON

You guys are poor, you have bigger issues than this

Shut up Eurasian

Fuck off soon to be culturally enriched, nigger.

Rest of "The Americas" are irrelevant anyways, why give a shit about them in the first place?

shut your whore mouth

guys guys settle down

back the fuck off?!?!?

Just answer the OP question, Ahmed.

I mean,Southern Europe is barely considered relevant in the first place, why should South Americans who have for several generations fucked Indians be considered relevant (i.e white) in the first place.

Has Jazeer fucked your girlfriend today yet? She might get pissed at you if he doesn't

How does it feel to live under the shadow of Sweden's ~relevance~ in Northern Europe?

>Denmark
>Literally who country
>More relevant than Argentina or Brazil
Where are you again?

>Denmark
>talking about whiteness
Nigga, South America is as white as your country, about 50%

>Southern Europe is barely considered relevant in the first place
low quality bait right there

School children in Denmark send clothes to South Europe in the winter months

lol damn

Sure.

pmsol3.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/averageargentinemale.jpg

How impressive for a country with 8-12 times the population. Compare yourself to France or Britain and think again.

Why does Denmark feels the need to talk shit about South America, again? Have the insecurity levels reached completly new hights?

I believe in spanish the whole island, from Canada to Argentina, is called "América", in english its called "the Americas".

The demonym for the inhabitants of the US, in english, is "americans", in spanish it's "estadounidenses".

This pretty much.

Just stated that you guys should make sure you had food on the table tonight before thinking about such stupid things and then I apparently hit a soft point as you can see

Do you think the poor people you see on TV speak English and come to Sup Forums to talk about demonyms?

Yes, we are hungry. I Have not eat anything in a week. Send food.

You are victims of communist anti-American, "pan-Americanist" indoctrination. As is pretty much all of Latin America, to be quite honest.

When was the last time you called yourselves "americano", meaning to be from the whole, single-continent of "América"?

Last time I saw a movie about Brazil it was about birds. Are you a bird?
I will send you leverpostej

Last time I saw a movie about Denmark it was... well, I don't think I ever did.

>Last time I saw a movie about Brazil it was about birds. Are you a bird?
this is some kraut-tier bant

Perú will try their best!

>Cusco province/region
>when your country is so goddamn eternally cucked that the region AND province you live in literally use a rainbow flag

?

Same here... In spanish we have the word "united statian" so "americans" is used to describe the whole continent.

Some oldfags get mad if you use America to call the US...

Okay, sad.
It's true, very cute movie

This is kinda like when Americans say that they don't know where X country is because they're so puny and irrelevant, thinking it makes America look better, when in reality just makes you look ignorant

"American" is proper demonym for inhabitants of the United States, taking into account how demonyms tend to be assigned to the non-political modifier of a nation's epithet.

While I haven't traveled extensively across Latin America, I have been to Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Colombia, and Ecuador. In another three weeks, I'll be spending a month in Mexico.

I was surprised by the common usage of terms like "Las Americas" and "America Latina."

I could be wrong, but I've gotten the feeling that there's a certain sense of unification between Latin American countries, simply because they tend to share closely connected countries, cultures, and pasts.

For instance, there seem to be a lot of schools that have "Las Americas" in their names, like "Universdad de Las Americas" in Quito. However, I've noticed noticed the singular "America" being used nearly as often.

So far as I can tell, people in Latin American identify with their national (Colombian, Mexican, etc), cultural (Latin American), and ethnic backgrounds (Quechua, Caribbean, European, etc) than simply a continental background ("American").

As such, I see nothing wrong using the demonym "American" in English, considering that "American" follows the English-language convention for the designation of demonyms.

Eh, I've learned in school there isn't a single 'America'; there's North/Central/South America as geopolitical divisions, and Anglo-Saxon/Latin America as regional divisions.

However, 'Estadounidense' sounds quite cringy and lefty. Normal people call people from USA Americans or North-Americans and I do the same.

I was taught that it's a single continent and that NA, CA and SA are subcontinents. I don't care if they want to be called Americans though.

""""The Americas"""" are a single continent
There's only 4 continents: afroeurasia, America, Antarctica and Oceania

That's what I was taught in school as well.

>Argentina
>More relevant than literally any European country
HAHAHAHAHA

In Mexico most people call those faggots "Gringos"

Are you for real m8? Denmark is literally less relevant than Venezuela

OP smells of nigger and hipsterism.

- Nobody calls Americans "North-Americans", only Estadunidense. The North-American definition was always reserved for a larger group comprising the three countries in the subcontinent. There is "Anglo-Saxon, but it refers to USA and Canada.
- EVERYONE learns the same "there are 6 continents" in school, even Americans, so they're aware it's a single continent, split into 3 subcontinents;
- Thinking "American" is an inappropriate term is not exclusive to Latin America - the French, for instance, have états-unien.

The fact is Americans use this because their country is not a normal country. It's an agglomerate of 50 different countries, under the same flag. That's what "UNITED STATES" mean.
In other words, they don't have a country name to call themselves. It's like a person from Honduras trying to find a common name with a Guatemalan and a Colombian.

You have an issue with understanding contexts. Why would you call yourself americano in brasil talking to brasilians, or in colombia talking to colombians.

Not OP but calling burgers "north-americans" was fairly common where I live.

>The fact is Americans use this because their country is not a normal country. It's an agglomerate of 50 different countries, under the same flag. That's what "UNITED STATES" mean.
>In other words, they don't have a country name to call themselves. It's like a person from Honduras trying to find a common name with a Guatemalan and a Colombian.
You're retarded, USA is a federation of states just like Brazil and many other countries.

No, it's more like an intermediate between Brazil and the European Union.

States are way more autonomous and they decided to form a country for economical/political reasons, unlike Brazil which was expanded gradually.

wtf I love Legoland now

Sure, their states are more autonomous but they are still part of the same country and saying otherwise is completely retarded.

I think this perspective is laughable and somewhat pathetic, as I am an AMERICAN

I'm enjoying so much this massive internet fight.

>yuros trigger spics

A blessing

it's not a trigger if it comes from a literally who country.

This is stupid. Nobody really cares how americans are called, except for autists on the internet.
If there's some resentment against americans, it's because of their imperialism, not for some gerund bullshit.
They were the first independent nation on this continent, let them take whatever name they want

Top tier response

I like your rational outlook

keep being awesome

this

(OP)
>we're all america
>can't agree on wtf america constitutes

this is why you are poor

Not content with occupying thrice the space a normal human being would, the American makes it its mission to occupy as much space as possible online too.

>United-Statesian
This is the only reason people from the US call themselves American. United Statesian doesn't sound right and it's tiring saying "I'm from the United States" every time someone asks when you could just say I'm American.

Nobody really identifies with their continent here, it's always the nationality first. Your people are called americans because you have America in your country's name, the same as if i'd call myself ecuadorian.
Sure, that eliminates the possibility to imply a reference to the continent when saying "american", but the solution for that is simple, just say "of the Americas" (in spanish "de América" o "de Las Américas" like our university in Quito). Thse things happen, languages aren't perfect.

>languages aren't perfect
We perfected castellano desu

Gringos, yankees, golpistas hijos de puta, there are several names for them.

Chilean "spanish"

you insult us but i bet the majority of you people would love to live here.

We will only take your best women who would love to marry a white person. the rest of you enjoy living in a shit hole.

No thanks, I'd like to live in a country with less poverty and crime.

Posting in the red.dit thread

i legit would rather spend the rest of my life in Mexico, I detest your culture

I wouldn't live there unless it's in a small town. I really hate having to drive long distances. I wouldn't like falling asleep while driving on one of those long highways, and crash.

Brazil also was called the United States of Brazil at a point in the early republic, that never made it a bunch of countries lmao

From what I understand, the only state in the USA that could be somewhat akin to a country -- but never really sovereign, not anymore -- would be Texas.

I think it might boil down to that

More like made it unintelligible even for other native Spanish speakers

Except Brazil already defined the country, whereas "America" refers to the whole continent.
They are "United (some) States of America (but not all)", that's the whole problem.

BTFO

What continent? It's two continents with a strip of land in the middle.