If Chewbacca is physically incapable of saying anything that sounds remotely similar to "Chewbacca...

If Chewbacca is physically incapable of saying anything that sounds remotely similar to "Chewbacca," how did he tell Han that that is his name? If it's not from the Wookie language did they just make it up? Why not call him Dave?

It's called 'through an interpreter putting it into human speech'

Okay, cool. Doesn't answer my question though. If a person tells an interpereter, "老子
我的名字是 (Hello, my name is Lao Tzu)" in Chinese, the interpreter doesn't hear, "Hello, my name is Larry" in English.

the interpretator gives the name in the closest approximation of English to the original name

Chewbacca isn't an English name.

And I've never heard a wookie make any vocalization that is even approximately similar. They don't seem to be capable of forming bilabial or stop-plosive phonemes, so where is the 'ch', the 'b' and the 'k' sound coming from?

he wrote it down

Han, Leia, and Lando aren't really normal names either. Maybe Chewbacca is a Dave name in Star Wars land.

Chewbacca is his nickname. It stems from Chew and Barker. Han gave that name because he acts like a dog.

Except loads of chinese people take on more anglo names for convenvience. He probably just didn't want to try to teach people how to pronounce his actual name and found a nametag and wrote chewbacca on it or some shit.

This goes way back when Han was a smuggler, they had a lucrative bussines with a Japanese restaurant, they smuggled exotic sea life that was then sold as sushi, best in the galaxy.

The owner usually let them eat for free, Chewbacca ate everything in a couple of seconds, the owner mockinly yelled to him "chew, baka!"

Han took a liking to this and started calling him Chewbacca.

Han is a huge weeb
Chewbacca is actually spelt Chew Baka because he's so stupid he forgets to chew his food.

But we've never seen a dog in the Star Wars universe

"Die, Jedi dogs!"
―C-3PO, during the Battle of Geonosis[src]
Dogs were a classification of non-sentient, quadrupedal species in the galaxy. One type was the akk dog, which was found on Anoat.[1]

The term "dog" could also be used as a word for contempt. While C-3PO's head was temporarily attached to a B1 battle droid's body during the Battle of Geonosis, he was heard shouting, "Die, Jedi dogs!"[2] Additionally, the phrase "wet dog" was used by Luke Skywalker to describe an odor he smelled while on Kupoh

Dogs were domesticated animals noted for their keen sense of smell[1] and their barking vocalizations.[5] They were often kept as pets by Humans[3] and other species, such as Talz[4]. A similar, more wild canid, was a wolf.[source?]

At least one dog lived in Anchorhead.

Wow

Wookie grammar is very complicated.

Names are pronounced differently depending on if you're of that species or not.

"Han" in Wookie is pronounced something like "Rhawrwrwrwr"

Becca means berry in latin
He is called chew berry because he lives on trees

meant bacca

English is like the only exception, because we are for some reason supposed to be able to pronounce every proper noun from any language or we are uncultured swines.

But I know if I introduce myself to a Chinaman they don't even really try to say your name right. When I took Chinese we had to get Chinese names because they just can't do Western names. And for other cultures they usually just take your Western name and say their version of it. John -> Juan.

So since humans, even Star Wars fans, can't make Wookie sounds they probably just say, well that sounds kind of like Chewbacca.
Sort of how we write "bark" "meow" even though its not exactly the sound they make.

>When I took Chinese we had to get Chinese names because they just can't do Western names

No. Chinese Romanise their names just fine. On the other hand, Chinese people will refuse to assimilate or learn other people's culture. Hence, they refuse to Chingchongize your name, even though they can.

Does it really matter?
Movies would several more hours long if people had to accommodate their stories for autists like you.

>This goes way back when Han was a smuggler, they had a lucrative bussines with a Japanese restaurant

The Kanji Club! It's like poetry!

I didn't say Chinese cannot be written in Latin letters, I was saying the reverse wasn't true.

>creature is clearly brown
>call him white guy name
I'd go for akhmed or Dshawn

Chuy is a brown name.

>Implying there arent a ton of mexicans named Chuy

China was a mistake.

I know that disney erased a lot of what used to be cannon, but the reason his name was chewbacca was because george lucas is a hack and never really though about it too deeply

this can sum up most things in star wars.

underrated

Its because wookies speak like vocoders work, or like how japanese kanji work. Each sound translates into another sound. So a wookie "Uagh" is like an english "Umm". So a human saying Chew Bakk Aah, a wookie would be Argh Uuuh Rrhh or whatever the traslation is.