Substantially larger than the fell beasts of the nazgûl

>substantially larger than the fell beasts of the nazgûl
>faster than the beasts of the nazgûl
>far more numerous than the fell beasts
>mordor has literally zero anti-air
Was Tolkien a hack? There's literally no excuse for this.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_population_in_1900
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Was Tolkien a hack?
Yes without a doubt, especially when compared to GRRM whose works are far more realistic and believable and written with better prose

>substantially larger than Germany
>more heavily armed than Germany
>far more numerous than Germany

>stands by for years idly watching Britain, France and Russia get fucked up by Germany
>TWICE

Couldn't Sauron's eye shoot a laser? I think that counts as anti-air. Also that ring might corrupt the hearts of the eagles or some shit. Also Saurumon did that blizzard thing that caused the Fellowship to have to go through the Mines of Moria, so if he could detect the eagles he could just weather them to death.

There are plenty of ways the plan could fail, although it still doesn't seem any worse than giving it to a hobbit and trusting in fate.

>Also that ring might corrupt the hearts of the eagles or some shit.
Just carry a hobbit who's holding it to mt. Doom and drop him in it...

Damn. I came here to turn off my brain and relax, yet this really made me think.

they had a lot of anti air. just it was all preoccupied in the Battle at the end.
ASOIAF is only good because it is a rebuttal to LotR

Objectively incorrect. Theres a paragraph where tolkien provides some exposition on the fell beats. They're extremely old creatures from a time before men that sauron bred and gave foul meats to until they were larger than any other animal that flew.

Actually, the USA had a lot smaller population than now. And Germany and Austria-Hungaria were huge.

>they had a lot of anti air. just it was all preoccupied in the Battle at the end.
A bow and arrow isn't fucking anti-air, eagles can just fucking fly above their range, like FUCKING GANDALF DOES TO ESCAPE FROM SARUMON

>sauron came to middle-earth before men
Objectively incorrect

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_population_in_1900

>tfw giant eagles were real in New Zealand ~600 years ago
>3 meter wingspans (10 foot)
>apex predators filling the tiger/lion niche on the island
>preyed on humans

Did Tolkien Know??

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_population_in_1900

Jesus Christ, how do we stop the chinese and indians from fucking?

Just stop fucking for two god damn seconds. Jesus fucking Christ.

Why the Fuck are you retards shitting up my thread

That a PJ thing. Books eagle are basically horses with wings.

Take your focus off those two for a second and look at who the OTHER top countries are going to be compared to back then

Uh wut?

Yeah, I know the rest of 'em can't stop fucking either. Everyone needs to stop fucking. Just fucking stop.

How anyone can look at that graph and not understand why people are reacting the way they are, like, "Hey...uh...everyone needs to step up their game here...um...guys...guys...seriously...we need to take a second and think about this shit for two seconds here..." is beyond me.

The Nazgul were larger.

>wingspan measuring at 30 fathoms (180 feet).
Huh... I guess horses are really big where you come from

Nazgul are larger
Eagles are prideful

>getting involved in other peoples problems
times were better back then
now we've got the government spying out our allies

Thorondor isn't exactly representational.

You're an idiot. Sauron came over with Morgoth before men. Morgoth was corrupting men in middle earth from their creation

The biggest reason the valar didn't ride to war with morgoth after he killed the trees was specifically because they didn't know where or when men would awaken. The last time they fought they broke the symmetry of the world.

>Gwaihir and his brother Landroval led a great company of Eagles to the Battle of the Black Gate on March 25, 3019. They swooped in to attack the Winged Nazgûl, but the Nazgûl fled
Fuck all you idiots, Tolkien even writes in his book that the Nazgûl are scared to fight the eagles.

>The biggest reason the valar didn't ride to war with morgoth after he killed the trees was specifically because they didn't know where or when men would awaken. The last time they fought they broke the symmetry of the world.
WRONG. They didn't fight and chase Morgoth because they couldn't see him, because he was obscured by Ungoliant's darkness.

This nigga knows what's up
Ungoliant is so fucking badass jesus

Tolkien was relegious, and the only thing the Eagles changed was that Frodo and Sam lived. So o looked at it as a divine intervention thing for the worthy (though imperfect) heroes.

Yeee I don't believe Ungoliant died, she probably just fucked off somewhere in the galaxy to eat a bunch of light and grow fat. Somewhere in the Stars is a giant space spider.

Didn't she eat herself? That's what I remember, but there's so much lore it's easy to make shit up on your own

The eye of Sauron would have seen the Eagles and sent orca to fuck them up. In order to get to mordor they needed to not be seen. Once the eye was fucked up and the war was won, THEN the Eagles could be used to rescue frodo and Sam.

Nah there's nothing absolute, Tolkien never out right says, though he has characters speculate that she ate herself because no one knows where she went.

Oh, that's interesting. She might be banished by Eru then, like Melkor himself

I just noticed on that mountain to the right there's ski tracks visible kek

Why didn't Eru banish Sauron?

Eru didn't like meddling in the world of everyone else, and Sauron wasn't important enough to warrant a banishment after he'd been beaten.

That's my guess, there's no official reason afaik

Plain and simple ? Shit writing

>According to an unpublished portion of Tolkien's conclusion to The Silmarillion, Morgoth will return at the end of the world to fight against good in Dagor Dagorath, the final battle.

It doesn't seem like Era banished him to me

This.
Tolkien wasn't a great storyteller, he was a great linguist and worldbuilder.

/thread

Shit writing

Pic related, he was literally thrown out of creation. The prophecy is about him being able to break out of that, but that's never been written, just prophesied.

Tolkien was a hack but not because "muh plot holes." He's a hack because he's shit at characterization and dialogue, and spends way too much time on musical numbers and describing scenery

Fuck off idiot, go jerk off to Ned getting decapitated

I hate Game of Thrones, but nice try

Fine, go jerk off to BLACKED

Eru is a tool. He lets evil exist because it makes the story of the world more interesting. He even told Melkor that Melkor couldn't do anything that didn't have its ultimate origin in Eru.

10/10

BRAVO JACKSON
R
A
V
O

J
A
C
K
S
O
N

>gandalf-eagles3 and 4
Where's one and two lad

He says 'Run, you fools" in the film release. He says "Fly, you fools" in the DVD/Extended.

Just like you don't see this in the film version of the Hobbit.

tfw time for comfy lotr discussion :3

I'm thinking for the first time in years

>He says 'Run, you fools" in the film release. He says "Fly, you fools" in the DVD/Extended.
It all makes sense now

>implying that wasn't strategic to become the most powerful nation in the world

Oh my god that's horrible

Not seeing the last Hobbit movie was the best decision of my life

I didn't need to know that existed. Fuck you.

Literally what the Fuck am I looking at