Can someone explain to me what exactly the One Ring actually DOES?

Can someone explain to me what exactly the One Ring actually DOES?

All we see is that it makes them invisible

godmode

it gives you power based on how powerful you already are, both the amount and kind of power

>makes you're vision shit and tells everyone where you are
>god mode

So because hobbits are practically invisible and ignored?

read the fuckin books you loser

It gives sauron the ability to influence those that wear the other rings of power and corrupt them so he can have absolute power.

It seems to give you power based on what you desire.

Hobbits want to hide, so they disappear. For Sauron it made him pretty much invincible. We only see hobbits and sauron wear in in the books, so it's only speculation what effect it would have on other races.

Going by the power of the other rings, though, the wizards and elves got boosts to their magic powers with the rings and humans became powerful immortal wraiths

It made Isildur invisible too though

that's not why they disappear AHHHH

essentially yes

hobbits were good at hiding and their existence, and that of the shire, was basically ignored by the rest of the world

gandalf actually kind of explains the rings power at the start of the fellowship, when frodo offers it to him

How was Sauron defeated then

This. When Galadriel put it on she turned spectral and started emanating huge waves of power.

Did you even watch the film or read the book?
Being invincible doesn't mean you're impervious, it just means you can't die.

It's a tool to enhance your actual abilities. Imagine a calculator, it's useless if you don't know how to manipulate formulas.

it's Saurons ring so it gives power only to him. The rest just get teleported to shadow realm so Sauron or the Nine can locate it easy.

Frodos finger didnt get the memo

But he wasn't wearing the ring when he got his hand cut off so how did he stay alive

it still gives power, it just corrupts you as well and ultimately betrays you

The one ring grants invisibility, Sauron wanted it to make an invisible army

I've always gone by it giving you what you desire or amplifying traits (IE Hobbits turning invisible) but now I realize that doesnt make sense because Isildur turned invisible too. Unless it adapted to his desire to keep the ring and slip away. Hmm

sauron is a maia, they're immortal

even after the ring was destroyed he isnt actually dead, just in another realm of existence

Can the other rings be destroyed? And what do the other rings do? And why would they keep them if they knew they could be controlled by them if Sauron recovered it?

He put his power in the ring which basically amplified it. Because the ring was then cut off, his physical form was destroyed. However, because he put part of himself in the ring, he was still "alive", in a manner of speaking.

But she does that in the Hobbit movie as well.
not implying it's lore

>And why would they keep them if they knew they could be controlled by them if Sauron recovered it?
I don't think they knew that until it was too late

Were the rest of the rings destroyed after Sauron's physical body was destroyed? And what's the purpose of the one ring if he can't control them anymore, seeing as they already know they are prone to control if they wear them?

The one ring is like the top boss man ring. All the other rings' power is based on the one ring. When Frodo destroys the ring at Mt. Doom, all the other rings lose their power.

Also, Sauron corrupted the rings for the men and the dwarves. The men were turned into Nazgul, and the Dwarven rings gave the Dwarves an uncontrollable lust for gold (Like Thorin in The Hobbit)

Only the Elven rings weren't cursed, because Sauron had nothing to do with their forging.

The other rings presumably are either symbolic or actual representations of power made by some elf fucker. I assume they can be destroyed but it would require some effort. Nobody knew about the one ring since sauron forged it in secret, but the elves were able to sense his influence and discard their 3 rings. The other races were oblivious.

What did sauron even want? Why do all that stuff for orcs

They amplify power as well I guess, but to a lesser extent? Galadriel, Elrond, and Gandalf have the 3 rings throughout the War of the Ring, so they probably know that they're screwed anyway if Frodo fails.

It enhances your major traits. Hobbits are good at hiding because they're small so it made Frodo invisible.

I'm pretty sure Isildur turning invisible is non-canon.

some of the dwarves rings were lost to dragons and shit, the rest sauron got back

all the rings of men are with the nazgul

the elves rings cant be controlled, but once the one is destroyed they lose their power

plot convenience. literally who cares just go throw it in the OCEAN

>I'm pretty sure Isildur turning invisible is non-canon
It's literally what got him killed

Why don't they just make another ring?

i know it's a joke famalam, but why couldn't Sauron just make another ring, like backup?

I'm not sure it said in the books that he turned invisible. In the books he got out of the water after the ring slipped off and then got an arrow to the throat, but I don't remember if it was specified whether or not he was invisible.

> Hobbits are good at hiding because they're small so it made Frodo invisible.

this is such horseshit, please read a book

why didnt fingolfin just stab morgoth in the dick?

Well shit, I gotta check now.

I think it was like super-hard to make and he had to put part of himself into it.

I recall that it's told in the Silmarillion that Sauron literally wrestled with Elendil and Gil-galad
Then Isildur cut his finger off, taking the ring
No further details are provided, which is a shame, although we do know both Elendil and Gil-galad perished

Yeah, I was wrong. All mortals get invisible from it.
Galadriel and Bombadil and such and such aren't mortals, which would explain why they didn't turn invisible.

In the Silmarillion we learn that Morgoth, in order to influence the world, had to pass power into the world itself, which weaken him. Morgoth was so physically weak that he didn't even put up a fight at at the end of the War of Wrath.

The creation of rings of power was a way around this. Sauron was able to empty almost all of his power into his ring, and then use the ring to influence the world without the power passing into the world.

Controlling the wielders of the other 19 rings was the main way in which he wanted to influence the world. As an aside, it's worth pointing out that the number of rings wasn't planned out beforehand and Sauron initially didn't intend to give any to dwarves or men. Giving the 7 and 9 to dwarves and men was a hasty decision after Sauron was revealed to the elves.

So basically all the ring does is give you the (Sauron-flavored) power of an ainur. And it probably allowing you to maximally use your own power without withering away (pouring your power into the world = withering away).

The invisibility given by the ring seems to be related to the "formlessness" of ainur. We can see that when Saruman "dies" and loses his shape. Sauron enters this lack of form when he loses his body when Numenor is destroyed. Formlessness is probably the default state for ainur.

So having the power of an ainur, but not knowing how to make a form for yourself makes you invisible.

There are Nameless things in the ocean's depth. Would you want them to have it?

Chthulhu ain't nameless

If he can craft one ring, why can't he craft another ?

Didn't you see the movies?
He made it from the volcano, and the volcano dies at the end. He'd need another one in order to craft a ring from it

It amplifies traits.

what if a really gay guy put it on

I unironically love these lotr thread. While there are a few fags trying to create the next eagles pasta, most of the post are informative. I read the books a long time ago when I was 12-13 but didn't understand them enough to hold onto the majority of them. So a lot of this is a nice brush up on lore.

He'd become you.

>this
Anytime I see a dumb LoTR question starting off a thread I know there will be some good shit

LotR threads on here are usually quite nice but this one in particular is full of fucking retards asking retarded questions.

Go and read the fucking books you children, they're great.

>reading books

Tolkein is good writer but his adaptation is not perfect. He invented some characters and their actions while totally forgetting(?) toher things from movies (like Elves at Helmes Deep).

LotR really changed me as an individual, really crafted me into the man I am today. I got a bunch of LotR tattoos

this pretty much. The ring IS Sauron, more so than the eye

Clearly it gives x2.5 to backstab and auto-crit.

The ring is more like a horcrux. He really doesn't need it to survive

>be Feanor
>make the most beautiful gems ever in all of existence
>so beautiful Satan himself comes to steal them
>get mad, swear the most terrible oath that will ever be sworn in the history of the world
>former allies and friends are like "cool down bro, you're not thinking straight"
>kill them and steal their boats
>cross the ocean, get to the other side and burn the boats because this train has no brakes
>takes my entire people on a rampage all the way to the gates of Angband
>personally fight my way so deep into the enemy ranks I end up soloing nine Balrogs at once
>finally get struck down by Gothmog, lord of Balrogs
>my (many) children carry my dying body from the battlefield
>make them swear they nor their children nor their children's children will rest until we get those fucking gems
>set fire and blow away as ashes on the breeze as I die because of how FUCKING ANGRY I AM

MADMAN
A
D
M
A
N

It's never directly explained in any source material. I wouldn't say its intentionally vague, but it is vague regardless.

>The ring IS Sauron, more so than the eye
No..
Sauron sits in the Black Tower, devising plans and commanding armies
The eye is just a word used to describe his will and malice, it's not a literal beacon at the top of the Tower

In the movies it does look like a literal beacon though, that even scans the landscape and hones in on frodo when he equips the ring. Is this not the case in the books? Is sauron literally sitting on a throne inside that tower with the eye?

>Is this not the case in the books?
No. The eye refers to Sauron's will. He also has a physical form
In the movies, Saruman tells Gandalf that Sauron doesn't have a physical form, but that's bullshit

>Can the other rings be destroyed?

> Not even the anvils and furnaces of the Dwarves could do that. It has been said that dragon-fire could melt and consume the Rings of Power, but there is not now any dragon left on earth in which the old fire is hot enough; nor was there ever any dragon, not even Ancalagon the Black, who could have harmed the One Ring, the Ruling Ring, for that was made by Sauron himself.

He did.

>He also has a physical form
In the books does he ever come out of his tower to fight? Actually, is the whole part in the beginning of the movies where he comes out, 10 feet tall with edgelord armor and a huge mace what actually happens in the book? Most of what lorefags tend to say is that sauron was more of a manipulator than a physical combatant.

This guy has it. The One Ring buffs up whatever your strongest 'aspects' are with the added bonus of corruption. Since Gandalf and Sauron are both Maiar, Gandalf would essentially become Sauron 2.0.

>In the books does he ever come out of his tower to fight?
In LoTR, no, but in the Silmarillion he fights a large god-like dog and loses. Btw Sauron is also a weird mix of werewolf and vampire. He fights Elendil and Gil-galad and defeats them both. He would obviously let orcs and other servants do the fighting and will engage in combat only if he has no other option
>is the whole part in the beginning of the movies where he comes out, 10 feet tall with edgelord armor and a huge mace what actually happens in the book
Basically yes, but it's not described in detail. So all the waving with the mace and men flying all over the place doesn't happen in the books

> But at the last the siege was so strait that Sauron himself came forth; and he wrestled with Gil-galad and Elendil, and they both were slain, and the sword of Elendil broke under him as he fell. But Sauron also was thrown down, and with the hilt-shard of Narsil Isildur cut the Ruling Ring from the hand of Sauron and took it for his own. Then Sauron was for that time vanquished, and he forsook his body, and his spirit fled far away and hid in waste places; and he took no visible shape again for many long years.

>I was the herald of Gil-galad and marched with his host. I was at the Battle of Dagorlad before the Black Gate of Mordor, where we had the mastery: for the Spear of Gil-galad and the Sword of Elendil, Aeglos and Narsil, none could withstand. I beheld the last combat on the slopes of Orodruin, where Gil-galad died, and Elendil fell, and Narsil broke beneath him; but Sauron himself was overthrown, and Isildur cut the Ring from his hand with the hilt-shard of his father’s sword, and took it for his own.

>But few marked what Isildur did. He alone stood by his father in that last mortal contest; and by Gil-galad only Círdan stood, and I.

I thought Sauron forged them and gifted them but Celembrimbor or w/e figured him out and cleansed them with the Silmaril.

he used to be cool and shapeshift into shit like giant wolves

It's power is that if you hold it and try to ride an eagle, the eagle can't fly.

basically an enhancer / buffer

greatly increases your affinity towards Sauron though

exquisite

The difference being that as a Maiar Sauron bound the one ring, and those given to men and dwarfs to himself. So that anyone who wore them would be bound to his power and corruption. Men and dwarfs took them willingly, one craving power and the other through greed.

This nigga is correct. Finally someone who knows what's up. Though Tolkien can be so vague, even in the Silmarillion, but he spells out pretty much every question in this thread clearly in his personal letters, definitely worth a read for the dedicated.

Fuck you Sup Forums, just finished watching the star wars prequel trilogy because of you're faggot memes and now this thread is making me want to rewatch the LotR trilogy. This would be my 3rd time.

The trouble is that those are three very long books that are completely riddled with songs and poetry that make you half-forget what the fuck you're even reading. You sort of glean that a lot of it was written in some sorry bunker in WW1 just so the author could keep himself sane. The whole thing is ridden with allegories from that time and that place. It's what makes it such great literature.

>3rd
LMAO