What movie should I watch if I've never seen a single western

What movie should I watch if I've never seen a single western

Do you mean old or new westerns? The two are very different.

El Topo

High Noon

Seven Samurai

For a Few Dollars More is the best of Eastwood films, and one of (if not) the best westerns made.

Tombstone

Rio Bravo is a good starter Western.

Wild
Wild
West

Start with:

>For a few dollars

Then

>Good bad and the ugly

Then

>Once upon a time in the West

And youre done with Westerns.

Rango

If you enjoyed those then there are many more you should watch. The Outlaw Josey Wales being one.

I'd recommend starting off with the newer True Grit. Was pretty comfy while still maintaining a pretty good level of western atmosphere. It seemed more friendly to the younger crowd to me, and I've got two western fanatical neighbors that said it was better than the original (which I haven't gotten around to yet). The new Magnificent 7 was enjoyable, but again I haven't seen the original.

After that I dunno, I've been trying to work through the list. Heard the new 3:10 to Yuma was worse than the old one, but only saw the new one. Maybe keep threads like this up so we can work through them and not be bored to death by older "western kino" before we actually finish the list. Westerns seem like a step up from Rom Com's to me if you weren't raised on them. I'd like to get through all the originals and remakes someday, but I'm struggling with pacing. If I start off with the older ones I'm worried I'll miss half the movie sleeping.

Dollars trilogy and Once upon a time in the West is the must watch but wouldn't recommend as a starter.
Check out something lighter like Rio Bravo, El Dorado and other John's Wayne stuff. Maybe Magnificient 7 and 3:10 to Yuma too. Ofc. not remakes.

This is the only correct choice

And if you wanna really get into westerns, stay the fuck out of modern ones.

Pretty much this. I liked the True Grit remake though.

My Name Is Nobody is a distilled caricature of pure spaghetti western clichees. If you've seen this movie, you've seen all the westerns that came before it.

True Grit remake is p good

>Daily reminder that he never fucked that horse

How do you not like fistful of dollars but like the other two?

It was ok but not for someone who want's to get into westerns, imo.
That's what I mean. If you watch the best movie of a genre at start you gonna get pretty much dissapointed from there.

Seconding this, it's sort of a trilogy. Shouldn't they all be watched in order?

>Dollars trilogy and Once upon a time in the West is the must watch but wouldn't recommend as a starter.
Why would you say that? The only western I've seen is TGTBATU and it was amazing.

I like Silverado, if just for Kevin Costner acting like a real actor and not a boring drone

Hang 'em High is good too but watch that after the Dollars trilogy

To fully appreciate how much of a fucking masterpiece is Dollar Trilogy you should watch some other stuff first. Get to know genre, what it all is about, some cliches and shit.

The Searchers or Unforgiven

The Searchers.
The Dollars Trilogy.
Once Upon A Time In The West.
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.
Unforgiven.
Tombstone.
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford.

I would say Bone Tomahawk, being all new and shit

Yojimbo

why would Liam do this.. he can't need money

This was kinda comfy desu, despite Seth being a literal and figurative cuck

Because he only watched those three movies.

Django

I'm surprised it took this long for someone to mention Butch Cassidy. Great flick

It was one of those projects which would have benefited from the director staying behind the camera in order to focus better on the directing.

Underrated

>nobody has said Stagecoach
literally the perfect starting western
>1939 so its before almost any other western people mention, so you'll appreciate developments in the genre
>first real role for John Wayne
>one of John Ford's first real movies
>actually about the frontier
>cavalry and Indians
>showdown at the end
>tons of westerns make reference to it

mccabe & mrs miller
wow tarantinofags really are retarded. why would you ever watch this garbage let alone recommend it as a first western?

What movie is this one from?

>The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

Wow, way to spoil the plot?

Tombstone