en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Category:Finnish_terms_derived_from_Proto-Germanic
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

pretty hard to read something that hasn't existed 3000 years ago

I can read the oldest text written in my language

t. turk

He meant Germanic iki not Greek. Chill out

OOGA BOOGA WE WUZ BARBARIANS N SHIET *whacks you with club*
fresse jetzt iki

>implying i can't understand the texts of ancient greek philosophers by reading well reputed translations of famous scholars

i'm reading evola and i feel the need to learn how to read greek and latin because he uses it so much with no translators note. also to learn about the history of europe, because it's jarring to have to wikipedia stuff every other page..

>I am a Greek
sure you are.
t. turkroach

Hide Iki Threads
Ignore Iki Posts
Do Not Reply To Iki Poster

thank god i am greek

What was Proto Greek and Proto German like?

check wikipedia for a start

Ancient Greek has a shitload of different kinds of the emphasis marks idk how to call them

we need a macro

Diacritics. They actually appeared after Alexander. Before that it was only capital letter without diacritics
The guy is asking about Proto-Greek, which is not attested. It is a reconstructed language.

Proto-German is almost unrecognisable, it's hard to compare it to anything really. It looks a lot like PIE

Oh and they appeared after Alexander, because Greek became a lingua franca, and they wanted barbarians to pronounce Greek better.

I tried to learn ancient Greek. All the weird markings fucked my shit up

I thought Ancient Greek was, well... the first version of Greek

>Qipriot education

I wont consider that an insult because its true lel

Just learn it without them. They are there to denote how you would raise or lower your pitch. They would only be useful if you studied ancient Greek poetry or something.
Btw, "δασεία" and "υπογεγραμμένη" are an exception. The first one represented an "h", the other one an "i", but they stopped being pronounced very early and that's why we use the marks and not the letters themsleves.

Ancient Greek is a term refering to all Attested forms of Greek up to Alexander's era.

>

>Cyprus
Don't you belong to Greece?

>according to
Into the trash it goes

lynn and that finn are racists

there doesn't seem to be much of anything in terms of actual sentences around since it's a reconstructed language but if this example is to be trusted and at all representative I wouldn't call it unrecognizable

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkish_invasion_of_Cyprus

We had a referendum to join Greece and while it was voted overwhelmingly in favor of (at least 95%) the roaches got triggered and rushed in stopping us from uniting, installing a pseudo state in the north of the island which nobody recognizes and currently houses the cyproaches

>3000 year old texts

you can read Cypriot syllabary? :^)

OP was baiting ofc. Even Koine Greek is really hard to be read by today Greeks because of world order, archaic vocabulary and different meaning.

This shit is why the UN should just be dissolved.

>mfw literally the most important and most sold book in Human History is written in Greek

>Even Koine Greek is really hard to be read by today Greeks because of world order, archaic vocabulary and different meaning.

Lol I'm Italian and that shit was easy, a Greek could easily read it if he studied it

If he studied it yes, but at first glance no

>Even Koine Greek is really hard to be read by today Greeks
no

Can you read the Iliad and the Odissey too? Also the philosophers?

The new testament is written in Koine and in church they read it as is. Even my grandma can grasp most of it. The vocab has pretty much stay totally invariant. The main things that make things "difficult" are infinitives and the dative case, which you can learn how they work in like an hour.

albanians always so jealous

>he goes to church with his granma every sunday
s m h

>his grandma goes to church, therefore he goes to church every Sunday
solid reasoning

>Being a dirty heathen

>he doesn't worship the Maori Gods
pathetic

t. Aetios "son of Alexander" Suleymanoglu
I'm white

did Latin draco enter proto-Germanic already? I assume a wurm word would be a better choice

well, he was joking I hope (just look at Mycenaean or the more archaic classical dialects lol) but Koine Greek is in many ways already halfway to Modern Greek compared to Classical Greek which is pretty much another world and you have to study it quite a bit to say you really understand it well

>not going to church with your gram gram

lol thanks kiwibro

>

>did Latin draco enter proto-Germanic already?
Proto-Germanic is placed roughly at 500BC-200 BC. It's not "old". Unlike Proto-Greek which is placed at like 3000 BC.

of course, the result of later attestation and all, there's no equivalent to Mycenaean texts for Germanic unfortunately. but I only remember a few Latin words entering Germanic in its 'proto-' phase, having mostly to do with trade and stuff like that

i thought Greek history is 4100 years old

Greek history is AT LEAST 15,000 yo!

I thought Greeks can't read Ancient Greek?

the Minoans weren't Greek-speaking and we don't know when pre-proto-Greek entered Greece exactly, it was sometime in the 2200-1700 period

if we're strict about it, the Mycenaeans can't be called 'Greek' either really, other than in a linguistic sense

>tfw I can
Persian master race checking in

I can.

>pre-proto-Greek

they spoke Greek
they were Greeks
same with other indo gypsies

why are you lying

that Indo-European variety became distinct in Greece. as it entered, it would have been pre-proto-Greek or future-Greek if you prefer

No you can't

I'm glad the alphabets became so popular in yurop

>american education

Since 7th grade nigga

>did Latin draco enter proto-Germanic already? I assume a wurm word would be a better choice
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Reconstruction:Proto-Germanic/drakô
>the term(s) in this entry are not directly attested, but are hypothesized to have existed based on comparative evidence
gonna need a few grains of salt with that but it seems possible

Then you learned that one your own

read it for me

It says u r a fag

I saw that but it didn't have any sources so I thought I'd ask. maybe you can tell me if the extant Germanic forms point to a borrowing into proto-Germanic or if there are even diagnostic changes that can tell us in the first place

kούkτ μπάι kαλαμαράδες

>cooked bye
kεk

Το kαλαμαραδες δεν ειναι βρισια, ισα ισα kομπλιμεντο ειναι. Διανοουμενος σημαινει

>he can't hold Byzantium for 3000 years
:c

ε σιγά, οι Κύπριοι είτε ως βρισιά το χρησιμοποιούν είτε ως χαϊδευτιkό. δεν είναι kοπλιμέντο πλέον αν kαι έχει αυτή την kαταγωγή

αλλά πλάkα έkανα για το γεγονός πως η Κύπρος kατέληξε να χρησιμοποιεί το αλφάβητο αργότερα kαι να εγkαταλείψει την εγχώρια μορφή γραφής

We (as in the Finns) have hundreds of words that we got from proto-germanic, some of which haven't changed at all in the few millenia since. Thus those words are usually even closer to proto-germanic than in germanic languages (proto-germanic "kuningaz" - finnish "kuningas" - modern germanic languages "king/kung/könig/etc.)

lol that's Babylonian of course I can't read it.
Also
>leaf

trying to read shit in middle ages bulgarian literally gives me autism, but it's not impossible

does Finnish have the -ng- cluster in any native words?

You can learn it in a week.
And even without it, you can still get the meaning most of the time

It's Achaemenid Persian you dumb fuck. Persian hasn't even existed for 3000 years either.

Only as an agglutination (if that's the right word, I don't know these terms in english all too well). "Helsinki" (our capitol) for example turns into "Helsingin", to illustrate the meaning "Helsingin ranta" would be "Helsinkis beach" so in this case the agglutination is a possessive. So -nk- changes into -ng- when you agglutinate it, but other than that I don't recall any other time when -ng- appears in our language. Why do you ask?

Portuguese in the 1500s was already way different than what it is today, I can't even imagine how it sounded like 3 thousand years ago. It probably didn't existed

just curious really

Can you?

ok then

>Persian hasn't even existed for 3000 years either.
lol stfu h8er

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persian_language

>proto-germanic "kuningaz" - finnish "kuningas"
english "cunnilingus"

apparently they got to know it from the Draco military standard of the Romans introduced sometime in the 2th century AD
now that's quite late for Proto-Germanic but wikipedia seems to state late forms lasting until the 3rd century so mayyyybe if you want to count that still
cool; I need to look into Finnish sometime
:DDD

no
stop

>links a wiki article proving my point that he can't read Old Persian as well as Persian not being 3000 years old

How retarded are you exactly?

>doesn't know etymology
pleb

The world is Greek.

MY ANCESTOR

Proofs? :)

(Damn, this is one dedicated troll eh?)

Because I speak Persian you dumb fuck. You should know our history rather than calling it Babylonian or lying about how old it is.

Also you reek of newfag/underage.

sgr.fi/sust/sust266/sust266_kallio.pdf

a while back, I came across something discussing proto/early Germanic toponyms in Finland too but I don't recall specifics

I wanna learn cuneiform.

>Ancient human language

Imagine how shit it must has been. Like using some software in pre-pre-pre-alpha testing phase.

You have to learn a near brand new language. It's 2 generations removed from what we speak now. The vocabulary is much different than middle-Persian.

there's no Spanish/Latin from 3000 years ago, but it'd be immensely cool if there were

The oldest Latin we have a little bit of is from roughly 2700 years ago:
MANIOSMEDFEFAKHEDNVMASIOI
that is,
MANIOS MED FEFAKHED NUMASIOI
or in Classical Latin,
Manius mē fēcit Numeriō.
or in Spanish,
Manio me hizo para Numerio.

en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Category:Finnish_terms_derived_from_Proto-Germanic
I'm not sure if this is a full list but it's something, I think it's interesting that a lot of the words have to do with violence and rulership, like murder (murþą -> murha), royal prince (druhtinaz -> ruhtinas), slaughter (þeuraz -> teuras), but also many very common words like for "full grown man", "whore", "hat", "shame" etc. etc. etc. also the finnish word for mother comes from Gothic. Maybe some historians could theorize about the types of relationships our peoples had long before recorded history based on the types of words that were transferred.

k-den