/int d-day thread/ (no G*rmans allowed)

Come tell us what your country/family did in the war

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kwantung_Army
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forced_labor_of_Hungarians_in_the_Soviet_Union
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Paternal grandpa was a baby. Paternal great grandpa was a deserter from the Italian Army. Maternal grandpa was too young to serve so ended up in the Marines killing Commies in Korea.

My dads dad landed in normandy. Not day one ofc or I probably wouldnt be here. I think he spent the rest of the war in france and england.

shut the fuck up cunt

My grandpa was a Luftwaffe pilot who was shot down over France but you guys stiched him together on some hospital boat.

So thanks for saving my gramps and by extension, me, 'Murrica.

My grandfather was a pilot and my grandmother was an airforce nurse and they married at 21.

get out of my thread

WHY DID YOU COME SO LATE YOU BASTARDS? WHYYYYYY????
FUCKING MURICAN PUSSIES
REEEEEEEE

Thanks, allies ;_;7

he brought back some cool stuff though

Thats pretty cool. They still kicking?

politics

t. Manuel Bock

We were already in Italy a year earlier, plus involved in the air war and supplying you guys (2/3 of your truck pool was lend lease by '43), not to mention the war against Japan. And hey, when we finally got to France we proceeded to obliterate the Germans, take all of Western Europe, and take over 4 million prisoners, all in about ten months.

found this in gramps attic after he ded

they didn't give a shart until japan

>in Italy
you mean its hard to kick Italian military ass? pussie
>supplying
if you didn't then Hitler took ALL (although for you it may not be so bad)
>war against Japan
Gooks is the eternal problem of Americans
>take over 4 million prisoners, all in about ten months.
Because it's better than be our prisoner

Nah, they lived pretty full lives until around 89 and 91 I think.

>japan
You do not be ashamed to talk about Japan as a strong enemy?

I'm a F*nn so my grandparents fought the Russians.

you dont know?

>you mean its hard to kick Italian military ass?
The Italians surrendered immediately, the Italian Campaign was waged by Germans.
>Gooks is the eternal problem of Americans
Your leadership certainly thought they were a problem for you too, even when the Germans were raping their way through your territory you were sending a million men to the Far East out of paranoia.
>Because it's better than be our prisoner
Because they got BTFO'd and were outmaneuvered and outgunned, and to attempt to fight in such circumstances means certain death. Same reason the French surrendered en masses in 1940. Same reason the Germans rounded up millions of your soldiers in 1941. Under the same circumstances the Germans surrendered to the Soviets too. You just weren't able to force said situations as often.

Don't know what? I'm proud of my grandparents for fighting against communism, not aiding it like the Murrifats.

It's great to lose the war and then win the peace. :^)

>paranoia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kwantung_Army
hmmm...
>Because they got BTFO'
nope tovarish. they just dind want to be OUR prisiners coz of GULAG

You accidentally posted your mother's dildo

leafs still love ya

fake news

>nope tovarish. they just dind want to be OUR prisiners coz of GULAG
Yeah they were deployed in the West and fought in the West until they were surrounded and cut off and all their materiel was wrecked and then surrendered as part of a masterful deception, instead of just attempting to fight a war and losing it.

hasnt got anything on your mothers

im pretty fucking sure thats a tiger tank round

k m8. lets end it. anyway good that you actually entered the war. THOUGH COULD HAVE DONE IT SOONER.
whatever. I love u m8. good luck to you. you too a lot of people lost during the landing

Tank driver in the 7th armoured division
Dont know much more than that

some grand uncles died during the blitzkrieg

one was smuggling resistant newspapers and pamphlets in the frame of his bike

the rest was trying to survive with the stuff that was not requisitioned

Still around?

No. I never met him myself as he died a long time ago. He also lived in the UK, nowhere near me. I have very little info on him other than what my dad told me, and even he doesn't know much.

idk what you're trying to say, i mean the americans didn't care about the war until japan attacked them and forced the retarded germans to honour their """alliance"""

Where do I start.
From father's side:
>My grandfather only got spared from the draft because he lost his left eyeshight
>His father hang himself in a forest nearby our town. He was a ww1 vet and fought in 10 of the Isonzo battles. What he saw haunted him for a decade until his death.
>Two of my grandfather's older brothers got drafted and sent to the eastern front. Never heard from again.
>My grandma's family got spared from the war.

Mother's side:
>Greatgrandpa got drafted. Sent to eastern front. Got captured. Sent to gulag. But was sent back in the 1950s. He died a few years later
>The ruskies, while passing the country, picked up young men for malenky robot. My grandfather and his younger brother got lucky as the germans did some artillery barrage near their holding camp in the Hortobágy, so they escaped in the chaos and hid at a relative.
>My grandmother's father got arrested because he got caught smugling polish jews through the country. He was executed as the family later found out.
>Her older sister (15) got raped by the ruskies while they passed the village. She got pregnant and killed herself with poision.

Thats pretty cool.

Wish I knew more of what mine did all I have is some pictures of him on some burned out old nazis planes somewhere in England. Guess a lot of that is just going to be lost to time

>malenky robot
Explain?

Im impressed you know so much. My fathers dad died in the 80s and I know little about what he did and my mothers father is now 99 and spent the war in key west and hawaii (makes me think his side of the family was connected somehow)

It's russian for "a little work"

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forced_labor_of_Hungarians_in_the_Soviet_Union

Grandfather commanded a landing craft first day of DDay part of the first waves. Had some really interesting stories of that day too. Started out as an marine engineer in sicily and north Africa. Came home and became a wealthy CEO after the war. He was a huge inspiration in many ways to me.

Know of his good stories?

I'd also like to know

Savage

never even heard of it before now

Grandfather served on a seaplane tender in the Pacific. Had a great uncle who flew P-38's in Europe, but he crashed and died as dived for a strafing run. Either couldn't pull up in time or some kind of malfunction no one knows.

Had a great uncle who served in the pacific. He brought back one of those jap rifles. I think my old man has it still

Yeah, So they were to told to land the craft at this certain spot on the beach him and a few other boats, some British. So going in he sees two crows nest( Big bunker on hill with bigass guns) on both sides exactly where they were supposed to land he sees it and says fuck that. So he tells the British boat of the crows nest and the need to land somewhere safer. The British decided to land where they were told to go did said God Save The Queen went in and they all got shot no one made it off the boat. I thank my grandfather for his hardheadedness and fuck authority.

The stories were upheld by the extensive families.
My grandfather (father's side) was born in 1919 and passed away in 2016. He had 10 siblings. he was the youngest
My grandmother (father's side) Had 2 brothers.
My grandfather had 4 brothers and 9 sisters.
My grandmother had two sisters and 1 brother.

My father has 2 brothers and 2 sisters. He is the youngest.
My mother has an older brother.

People tend to forget that Hungary even durring the monarchy was piss poor and underdeveloped. It was run by aristocrats, most of them were german/austrian by blood. They only spent money on Budapest because they had to go there.

>He was a ww1 vet and fought in 10 of the Isonzo battles. What he saw haunted him for a decade until his death.

Holy crap
Must have been interesting times. I don't get how some people can be eager to go to war

t goes to the Beach a little safer but still getting shot at, the tide is all fucked up snd can't get close enough to low tide area so soldiers are getting off and are wading to shore way to slowly like ducks getting shot in the water. So he asks for a volunteer for someone to grab the anchor attached to chain and haul it to shore so when the soldiers get off they can grab the chain and haul themselves onto shore faster. First guy immediately volunteers is this big guy from the midwest makes it all the way to shore by the time he gets on shore hes so full of holes he falls on the anchor. This allowed everyone to get to shore faster and safer. That guy from the midewst knew he was gonna die but did it and saved a lot of lives.

>eager
Well he was drafted. I only know that his right hand, according to grandpa, always looked like he was holding his rifle trying to pull a trigger that was not there.

I am Greek

Shit I dont even talk to my family aside the immediate. My grandfather is still alive 99 now and he had 3 brothers. One died in the war the other 2 didnt go and he hasnt said a word about what he did granted his involvement was minimal bet as he never left the us.

You should make sure to tell your kids all these things. Best I can do is say " here is gramps in England with some burned out nazi planes" I dunno what he did. been dead for x years

Sucks desu, I feel bad for eastern euros.

I'll try. Yet I know most of my cousins never cared for these stories
>It just incites hate
... I know that these are touchy subjects, but they shouldn't be forgotten.

I was talking about modern conscripts

Ask the poles. They had it worse.

Oh, modern enlists, they think they know what it war is like, that it can't break them, but war is not new to this dance.

Gramps lied about his age to go and bomb the Germans in the RCAF

hello is this is the polish whine thread

yes

what should i whine about today

Well tomorrow I'll drink to that guy. May his soul find peace.

Just head down here. The drink is on me.

a hero

too bad this was the first time anyone has probably heard/thought of what happened to him in ages

been twice to budapest, really bewildered at contrasts. prada stores with bums sleeping at windowsills. real pretty otherwise, kinda envious. nothing here comes close.

i also was cheated by a kiosk lady, asked for marlboro lights and got some silver shit that had 0.1 nicotine content, never seen that shit here. should have just said golds, but i was drunk.

I don't smoke, but I think thanks to the great shit that is the "national tabacco" marbolo light was replaced with the stuff you got. If so sometime today I'll post in v4 about it.

Yeah Budapest is like that. But go justabout anywhere else and you'll have a better experience. Like Debrecen or Szeged.

maybe one day, right now alcoholism and workaholism are killing me, i should be asleep right now, but i'll just pop some pills in the morning and carry on

maybe i do need a break

Until then goodnight. I do have an 8-4:30 job.

likewise, have a good sleep

My grandparents don't talk about what their parents did. I know that on my mother's side they liked Tito's Yugoslavia which might hint at partisan activity but I'll just assume they spent it hiding, which is logical with the Nazi brutality here, have nothing against them. Interestingly I did talk to a son of a partisan veteran who died in 1944 , shared stories mostly of snuggling weapons , one story where a woman partisan almost got caught but killed herself before the Nazis got to her. Probably similar experience with most people. There was no front here, no army, just resistance and fear of the inhuman things Nazis did to us

I wish I knew how the balkans were better defined in wwii but it wasnt really taught here.

Great grandfather 1 was stationed in northern Finnland, part of the army which was to take Murmansk from the Russians. But the attack never happend so most of the time he was freezing his ass off. There was barely any combat because in winter it took about three hours to get a tank running and other such stuff. My grandfather told me he would always heat the house very warm because he never wanted to feel cold again in his entire life.

Great grandfather 2 was a metal worker in the arms industry so he was considered important for the war effort and not conscripted. His only "war experience" was when russian soldiers broke into his house held a gun to his head and demanded all his alcohol.

read a book nigger, mazower is a good starting point

Id rather think about a few times a year going through my families old war shit with a few drinks

don't really get how one excludes the other but it's your choice

>His only "war experience" was when russian soldiers broke into his house held a gun to his head and demanded all his alcohol.
kek

Their partisans were resilient as hell apparently and I hear risked their lives for a bunch of our and other allied pilots

Too bad the country wasn't very united at all, if it were Yugoslav resistance would've probably fucked up a lotta people's days

>survived 10 isonzo battles

What.the.actual.fuck.

sounds like it

We made a cameo appearance in the pacific

Before the war there was the kingdom of Yugoslavia but the king was dead and the prince not of age yet. Politics were complicated and the country devided. The Germans wanted to get to Greece to help Italy. But we were in the way. And giving military access to a country that occupied countless others was not smart. So we joined the war, unprepared and devided we were beaten quickly. The Germans devided Yugoslavia into Independent State of Croatia controlled by ustashe and also was a German puppet , Hungarian occupied territory, Italian occupied territory, Bulgarian occupied territory, German occupied territory and a small Serbian puppet state
Almost immediately there were pro monarchist Serbian rebellion and pro communist. At first they worked together and even scored some victories but they were drifting away due to ideological difference. The Germans, unable to always catch the guerilla fighters, started treating the civilian population with extreme harshness to scare away the partisans (commies) and chetniks (monarchists). As time went on chetniks began collaboration with the Nazis, leading to the partisans almost being encircled and destroyed. But that also turned all the foreign aid to the partisans and made them far more liked by the population of entire Yugoslavia. Still, The Germans just took out all their losses on our civilians. Literally. There was an event where every German soldier killed resulted in 100 civilian deaths, every wounded, 50 . During this they massacred school children with their teachers. In the end the partisans got control over the country due to all these events and we became communist

There were 12 or 13 all started by Italy

On my father's side my grandfather was soldier on the Maginot Line, his commandant refuse to stop the fight after defeat and ordered his men to go on fighting, then my grandfather was going back home to Paris by walking when some guys in a truck stopped by and asked him if he wanted to get in the truck as they were going to Paris too, my grandfather agreed and got in the truck, some minutes after the germans were doing a roadblock to check, they opened the back of the truck and it was full of weapons that the guys picked up on the battleground. So my grandfather was sent to a POWcamp (stalag IX C at Bad Sulza) in Germany and stayed there untill he got liberated at the end of the war.

On my mother's side my grandfather was too young to be a soldier but I found papers about turnovers of being on guard in the village to see if any german would come. My grandmother's family hid an allie paratrooper that my great-grandfather found in his field, my grandmother used to give him food while he was hidden in the barn and then they called people from the Résistance who picked him up.

Well shit, that was a good read.

>On my father's side my grandfather was soldier on the Maginot Line, his commandant refuse to stop the fight after defeat and ordered his men to go on fighting, then my grandfather was going back home to Paris
How did he go from being ordered to fight on to walking to Paris?

His commandant had to follow the orders too, the armistice was signed. He walked back home some days later when the Maréchal Pétain stopped the fight.

Ive made this thread before and I always thought the french perspective was one of the more interesting, because it could go many ways.

>implying i didn't know that
>implying it's not my fucking river
>implying i don't live in the very theater of most of those battles
>implying mom's grandad fought for the emperor and dad's for the king

There where italians in the austro-ungarian empire you know

That's true, I have heard so many things about the war here, I'm from a central region of France and the germans burnt many villages here, killed people for no reasons, in my village they killed a group of resistants. Someone in my large family, like my grandmother's brother in law was a famous resistant and he kept his weapons after the war, un fortunately his daughter commited suicide with a bullet in the head in his kitchen and the police didn't say anything about the illegal weapons only because he was a great resistant recognised in the region.

Also when my grandfather was liberated from the POWcamp he went back home to Paris and found out that his wife went away with a rich guy and took their daughter with her... Then he met my grandmother in a park. They later moved to live in the region where I'm from and one day in a cycling race a guy who was prisonner with my grandfather recognised him and talked with him.

Both my grandfathers were pilots. One for the U.S and one for the U.K

great grandpa was in the navy and served on a battle ship. dont know much else. hes in his 80s

wew

staying in a pow camp almost sounds better than coming home to that

Fucking women man. I'm sure there's a lot of stories of women sleeping with the enemy too? Hope the treasonous cunts got what they deserved.

nothing
we didn't even join the war

I forgot to say that my grandfather who was serving on the Maginot Line got bombed by stukas while he was in a bunker and it made him almost deaf, he lost a lot of hearing because of that. He also saw some women with children on the road while german planes were attacking them and shooting at them so he pushed them into a ditch to save their life.

Yes, but I think that his daughter's life was worse as her mother didn't care about her and told her that her father didn't want to see her, while my grandfather was trying to get in contact with her, she spent a part of her life in an orphanage because her mother just didn't want to take care of her.
My grandfather's father died as a soldier in WW1, in a POW camp too, and my great grandmother lost her second husband at the Liberation of Paris, allies were parading in Paris and the guy got pushed under a tank because of a rush... Women suffered of the war too.

Not that I have heard about. As I'm from the countryside you know people were very regarding about that and most of young women would have never dared to befriend german soldiers, everyone knew everyone. But there are stories about traitors who helped the germans to find Resistants. There was parachutes that landed in the field just behind my parent's house and they were destined to the Resistance but some asshole of the village stole them as they were containing money.

thanks for the bump anyway you gook

Jesus fuck

You euros ancestors lived tormented. Both sides of the family came around 1900 to the states. I lost a few great uncles but shit like that is unreal to us here.

Still can't sleep; Greatgrandpa had "luck". We only know that he served between 1915 winter till 1917 winter and that he served almost a year and a half at Isonzo.