English

>english

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=p-JgNTvTA4E
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Silent B is just so unnatural I get it right half of the times
It's clear God never wanted us to use English as a lingua franca, we must go back

I pronounce every silent b, and all the ts followed by ch

at least half of those "silent" t's are supposed to be pronounced

I heard that in German you pronounce how it's written. Is that true? Cause we also don't have phonetic bullshit in russian.

yes pretty much, it's probably one of the languages where written language is almost identical to spoken language

Although on the second thought we do have it. I'm just used to this as native speaker. In schools they never taught us phonetics and transcription tho. We, too, sometimes don't pronounce certain letters or write the others instead (for example, for some reason, instead of лeХкo, we write лeГкo - sounds absolutely dissonant and silly, but that's the rules). And I understand why many foreigners may have problems with definition of it should be soft or hard sound here and there.

were these silent letters pronounced literally in the past?

If you understand the Dutch grammar rules it's also phonetic.

*spelling rules

Subtle =/= silent

French is so much worse for this

But French is predictable, while in English you have to look up the pronunciation of each new word you learn.

the silent h's are too

French is much worse when it comes to silent letters. Chop the last four letters off Versailles and all that happens is the spelling has some relation to pronounciation. French should anglicize

>what
>Silent H
youtube.com/watch?v=p-JgNTvTA4E

The problem with English though is that its pronounciation is completely inconsistant
Example: lead and lead have 2 distinct way to say them

russian is cyrrilic english to me
the language changed but the alphabet didn't

Questo, peo

but english frenchized
wouldn't that mean sinking further the shitmire?

The silent letters are always the same in French, there's no surprise in 99.9% of cases.

For example, words ending by -aux are always going to sound like "o". That's it.