Sup Forums I'm interested in learning a Scandinavian language, and Danish is just nope...

Sup Forums I'm interested in learning a Scandinavian language, and Danish is just nope, so this brings me to Norwegian or Swedish. Which is more fun and prudent to learn?

Other urls found in this thread:

futurelearn.com/courses/norwegian
ntnu.edu/now
strokes-international.com/index.php?language=en
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

but Kierkegaard is the most important Scandinavian writer.

>see flag
>woah dodged a bullet there

Swedish

Yeah but Danish is almost as useless as speaking Frisian.

Norweigan is easier. Its a babys language. Like swedish but with worse grammar. For example, norweigan dont have a bending of "him"

Swedes use "han" and "honom", norgay just uses "hann"

Learning Swedish is smart. Let's you read all the great litterature from both Sweden and Finland. Learning Norwegian will let you have a slightly easier time understanding Danish, but since you're not a native it'll probably still be beyond your capability.

Well, I hear Norwegian is the most mutually intelligible of the three languages. If you know Norwegian than you can understand a decent bit of Danish writing and Swedish speech.

Yeah mutual intelligible understanding I know is pretty much reserved for native speakers, unless I was to devote all my time to really mastering Norwegian, which I can't because I have a life :(

That's true, but it's not worth much. Like, the three languages aren't equally valuable. There is more value in learning one than another. One can even be more enriching, valuable, and useful than learning both of the other two. And you shouldn't think that learning Norwegian means you've basically learnt Danish as well. The two are quite different.

Well of course not, they're totally separate languages. I'm just wondering for advice on either focusing my time on learning Norwegian or Swedish.

they are almost exactly the same, they can understand eachother

they are also very close to english so its the easiest for a native english speaker, wouldnt exactly call it fun, all 3 are "useless" as in youll have very little exposure to it, just learn a real language like spanish

Nah the only Romance language worth a shit is French.

how the fuck is norwegian better?

i'd learn swedish simply because there's more study tools available for the language.
i'm currently learning swedish, but before that i tried learning norwegian and found it difficult only because there weren't a lot of study materials for me to work with.
(however when i learned norwegian i didn't really know what i know now about language learning, so take it with a grain of salt)

Yeah Swedish does seem prudent. A lot more people speak it than Norwegian.

Swedish is like the easiest language you can learn, so go with thay if you want simplicity. It is, however, also the most feminine language.

>american

jesus fuck please

There's nothing wrong with learning Danish

Eek hooer vaart uup baak nuet oor
>litteraly how you language looks, like monkey speak

Looks like I angerer a little Swede here lmao.
It's literally impossible to take your language serious because it sounds so feminine.

Your language sounds like your women sucking superiorn nordic cock.

>being this upset about your cute little girly language

t. German

This

Dutch looks and sounds like English spoken by an actual retard.

i actually like melodic swedish

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
At least people don't automatically fear for an explosion or shooting when they hear our language

I want to marry a Scandinavian qt. Which country has the best wife-material?

>mfw a lot of products in France are labeled both in French and ugly Dutch

Fuck all the companies who do that.

if you're black too, we can go to sweden together

Norwegian is literally danish.

Rape is illegal you know

Italian is literally Spanish

VERKAASD

I'm whiter than a Swede tbr

basically

>All these countries obsessed with out language

You'll find the most resources for Swedish because Sweden's the most populated. I've studied Swedish and Danish. If you study Norwegian, you'll be understood better by both Danes and Swedes. Norwegian Bokmål is a good middle ground between Danish and Swedish because it's got all the Danish vocabulary, but the pronunciation is much more intelligible to Swedes than Danish is.

I actually agree if we consider sinitic languages as dialects.

It also does not make sense to consider dialects such as Venetian and Neapolitan as dialects if we consider French and Spanish as separate languages 2bh.

Best reply of the thread so far. Thank you kind canuck

Bokmål is kind of like Modern Starndard Arabic, no one really speaks it. It's a literary language based on Danish. I speak Danish fluently, but have trouble understanding some spoken Norwegian dialects.

kanker neger

Would you recommend Swedish then? I know how dialectic Norwegian is...

Bokmål like rixssvenska is a transliteration (or whatever its called) of the official dialect of the country, and does not take into account regional dialects. It would be litteraly impossible to do so.

Isn't most of the population i.e. eastern Norway bokmal-speaking?

Swedish is just as dialectic, if not more, but not in written form. But neither is bokmål.

Scheisse...deciding is quite hard.

pls respond

The areas around Oslo speak a dialect closer to Danish, but it can still be considered a separate language (of course the definition of a language is pretty vague). No one speaks Bokmål, the Norwegian language is curriculum of dialects, the western ones being closer to Nynorsk and the eastern ones closer to Bokmål.

Swedish is pretty useful, probably more so than Danish or Norwegian.

Dude...
Why do you want to learn a nordic language first of all?

For work or study related reasons?
Just because you like them? or what?

If you don't have a clear goal (such as working in one of those countries or an exchange study program) you should probably study the one you find most appealing, the one you find engaging - because if you choose X instead of Y simply because ''it's better'' or ''more useful'' chances are you'll end up dropping it sooner or later.

Personally, I'd go with Norwegian as University is free in Norway even for foreigners, there are good paying jobs and I think the language sounds beautiful - also because tourism in Norway is great.

However, studying Norwegian is more ''difficult'' due to there being less learning materials for foreign learners.

Just my 2 cents homie.

I see, thanks for the informative post user. But what does it mean to learn "Norwegian" then? I assume that most of the people would learn the Oslo dialect. But then I don't see the point of learnig "Norwegian" if anyway you would probably learn the closest dialect to Danish, while still not be able to totally understand some Norwegian from the west. Better learn Danish at this point. Am I wrong?

Not a problem. I'm always glad to see people take interest in these languages. They're really close to English, so you should learn quickly as long as you devote enough time to practice. The real challenge to these languages is pronunciation.

Some Norwegian resources:
futurelearn.com/courses/norwegian

ntnu.edu/now

This software is one of the resources I use to study Danish. They offer versions for Swedish too, but not Norwegian:

strokes-international.com/index.php?language=en

dont waste your time. english is enough there. better learn russian or spanish

plz don't go to Norway spic

>so this brings me to Norwegian or Swedish
Norwegian sounds better but it is probably more "prudent" to go with Somali instead.
It really depends on your interests, though.

Danish is fucking disgusting, let's be honest here. Certainly isn't a language one would choose learn if given the option not to.

I'm trying to learn Norwegian myself right now. As I see it Norwegians just write/talk in their own local dialect, but they all understand each other. You see considerable variations (e.g. in plural form, verb endings, even basic vocabulary), but you just stick with one dialect yourself and run with it. It's hard to explain.

Its gay. Hvorfor, kvifor, haffor etc. Its just autism.

>It's literally impossible to take your language serious because it sounds so feminine.
You really need a bit of perspective here, user. Your language sounds like a cross-over between English and German, as if spoken by a The Sims video game character.
Both Danish and Dutch are the shameful linguistic bastard step children of languages spoken, or in your case, heaved, throughout Western Europe.
Swedish may sound feminine but at least it doesn't sound like someone trying to chock back a mouthful of sputum.

So how is Swedish less autistic?

Most people just learn to speak bokmål with mostly Oslo based pronunciation rules, and most Norwegians are able to understand that.
If you live in Eastern Norway, that's how people usually speak as well.

That's a good thing (except "hvorfor", kill all Danish etc.

Standardized spelling no matter the dialect, with few exceptions

English is enough there if you're visiting. If you want to live there and not feel like a total outsider, you should learn the local language.

Enforced dialect genocide is not a good thing. I'm not saying we are good in Norway, but intentionally killing all linguistic diversity is not something to brag about, it's shameful.

If we combine all official written norms, the only official ways to write that word are "hvorfor" and "kvifor", one for each writing system. Previously, you could also write "korfor" or "åffer", but those are no longer officially allowed.

I bet norweigans could understand me if i just made up my own dialect

Arfor haur iak egke nakin varmi i hanreijnungstugan. Min kok blær kruympt ok dæ blær svært ok ronkia

Learn Norwegian. It's the lingua franca that unites Scandinavia, so that both Danes and Swedes can understand each other. It's also the neutral language. If you'd speak Swedish in Norway or Denmark some people would get angered.

"Hvorfor har jeg ikke noen varme (?) i hanreiingsstua. Min kuk blir krympa og det blir svært / vanskelig å runke

Was this correct?

This is why learning bokmål seems appealing. I love how Norwegians speak, it's so melodic.

already went several times so you're out of luck

Also, most degeneracy in the west comes from Jewllywood, which is situated in your shithole.

And it's not like Europe is not filled with Muslims nowadays, so your dreams of a ''pure'' Norway are just that, dreams.

As long as you're not learning danish you'll be fine. Those fuckers have even started to subtitle their own movies because they can't understand each others slurred speech.

Danes, I love you but please stop trying to communicate in danish, it's impossible to understand you. And when I answer in english, don't get mad, I'm just trying to make you communicate in a language we both understand.

What does that have to do with what I said?
The only official way of writing that word in bokmål is "hvorfor". Previously, you could write "korfor" or "åffer" too, but those were never widespread.

Yes. A swede litteraly cant understand shit in their own language unless its written in bogstandard rixsvenska. Norweigans have an advantage in using written dialect, it expands your language skills.

>litteraly
>rixsvenska
>Norweigans

You should probably stop sharing your opinions on how other swedes "cant understand shit" when it's probably just you.

You're not making it any easier, beaner.

Better a beaner than an American negroid or Jew.

Swedes are incompetent at languages. They cant even understand skånska. You denying this is just sad

>skånska
>svenska

:(

but I'm white as snow, sorry rain forest nigger, you lose.

I think Swedish is one of the most beautiful languages in the world.

written norwegian is close to written danish, but i have a way easier time speaking with a swede rather than a dane

Spoken Norwegian is literally Faroese Danish.
At least if you speak Bokmål.
Bokmål sux

dialects in this country is such a clusterfuck, some are harder to understand than swedish

I know its a shit thing, but easier to learn. I mean, i wouldnt mind dialect encompassing swedish, so southeners could write hvauforr or whatever. Stockholm fags decised their language was the true language though. Thats just how it goes.

>skånska
>svenska

Why the fuck don't you just learn German instead? You can pretend it's scandinavian and there's like 80 million of them and most krauts doesn't even speak anything but german, arabic and turkish. Everyone under 90 speaks already english here.

> speak rnglish
Write english, you mean
Seedes are shit at spoken english

I don't think anything should be officially allowed. I like the approach of Nynorsk. You can get close to a lot of different dialects by applying different pronunciation rules. But some options are needed, yeah. I do think there needs to be some restrictiions though.

Captain dyslexia strikes again!

>Turkish

I'm good m8. Germany is dead.

Faroese Danish is caveman Danish with a few "Danishified" Faroese words added at random. It's an in-group way of pronouncing Danish that we use when reciting something in Danish, e.g. old law text, proverb, etc. We use it mostly because Danish pronunciation is so unnatural to us. It is remarkably close to Norwegian.

Take the redpill, learn Nynorsk

So what do you think the consensus is? Norwegian or Swedish? If I were to travel throughout Scandinavia, would I have an easier time knowing good Norwegian and some Swedish, or the other way around?

Stop befouling your awsome language with shitty d*nish.

Norwegians are better at Swedish than Swedes are at Norwegian. If you know Swedish, Norwegians will be able to adjust and use Swedish words to help you. Swedes are generally not able to do the same for Norwegian.

>If I were to travel throughout Scandinavia, would I have an easier time knowing good Norwegian and some Swedish, or the other way around?

Or just, you know, speak english. Not to be a dick or anything but most swedes at least will immediately switch to english (regardless of how bad they are at speaking it) if they even suspect you might not be 100% svennebanan.

You'd have an easier time just doing whatever the fuck you want and then just speaking english because literally everyone, unless you plan on staying the nights at elderly homes, will understand you perfectly.

I don't think it matters which one you learn, pick the one you like the most

desu that's mostly because norwegian uses words that sound made up by a preschooler because they don't know the proper one.

Ah perhaps Norwegians are less likely to shoot you down when you want to practice the language with them then?