Actually previous thread

おはよう

nothing wrong with boku

拙者

僕様

大丈夫アメリカ先輩
One day I will be able to speak with you
頑張りましょう

Unless you're spending time with guy friends, in which case they'll look at you weird

watashi is for everyone
boku is for a guy that feels the need to stress he's a guy
ore is for real men
oira is for women
oidon is for the samurai

you forgot atashi

And you forgot Wakutachi, Uchi, Kochira/Kocchi, Ware, Washi, Wagahai, Sessha, Atai, Yo, and Warawa

Oresama
Chin
Wai
Watashi
Uchi

我が名

The protagonist is dissecting a rabbit to prepare it for cooking, and she is getting ready to remove the limbs:
キノは四肢の根元に切れ込みを入れて、股関節を折るようにして外した。後ろ足は膝で二つにした。

Kino made incisions into the start of the limbs and removed them, breaking the hip joints. (The hind feet were made into two at the/by the knee?).

Could someone help me make an accurate literal translation of the second sentence into English?

well I guess she's repeating the process of cutting/breaking/removing at the knees, no idea how to "literally" translate this though

Hello, DJT.

I'm starting to practice reading and translating works, and I've come across these song lyrics that I don't fully understand.

I think I get most of what it means, something like "try to remember the pain"?
I think the よう is supposed to mean something like an invitation to do something (remember)?
I get really lost in the second part, particularly at 傷もつけて. I'm pretty sure the きました "came" just means something like "傷もつけて came to be" as in it came and went but jisho is suggesting 傷もつけて is both the verbs 傷も+ つけて, which I appears to be "pain + stab", which doesn't make sense, I don't think.
As you can tell by my writing in confused as fuck and have probably made a major error in my logic or understanding somewhere, pls help

In the right context, could "考えてみな" mean "Think nothing of it" ?

"Repeating the process", you think that's 二つ? I was thinking 二つ would be something like two objects, as in breaking the foot in two, or maybe like having two hind feet (separated from the rest). And the 膝で adds to the confusion as well.

Just " Think about it"

Could you tell me why it's a positive statement instead of negative? I'm seeing it as "考えてみてない", is that wrong?

つけておきました is just a formal way to say つけておいた which itself is a compound construction that consists of -て+おく. It usually means that the action is done as a preparation for a future event or action.

よう(に) is used to indicate that a certain action is done in order to achieve something (the clause that comes before the よう). In this case, that you are doing something in order to remember.

Combined, I would say that the line means something like "I (I'm assuming it's first person) had hurt myself in order to remember".

考えてみな can't be negative. Why?? Because this phrase is just shot version of 考えてみなさい

考えてみな is spoken language

Shot →short

Huh, I don't think I would've figured that out. Thanks
Although I did see ように mentioned in the grammar section in the guide in the OP while I was Googling around, but I came to the conclusion that よう wasn't a shortened version of that because it never mentioned that ように was commonly shortened. What a piece of shit!

Oh I see, thanks for the explanation

DJT

we should arrange a weekly Mahjong meetup

youtube.com/watch?v=g1ut7uZShyE
played it last night for the first time and it has potential for some fun shenanigans

>The hind feet were made into two at the/by the knee?

Hind legs. I think "at" is more likely (split the leg at the rabbit's knee), but "by" (split it over her knee) is grammatically plausible.

Oh okay, it finally clicked. It looks silly, but occasionally it helps me to try and act out the movements myself, lol. Thanks.

Is there any way to type "hard" words on android? Like a shared dictionary of rarer words? Tried to type "掣肘" using google input and the dictionary didn't have it.

I just tried it on both my phone and computer and both had it

Weird. Google IME on PC has never been unable to input a word for me but my phone only has babby language installed.

my bad dude actually i forgot what thread i was in and typed it in chinese. In Japanese it is only on my computer. So I'd do the same thing you do when you can't type stuff on the computer which is to try to manually add it to your IME dictionary. I don't know why you'd want to type hard words on the phone anyway though.

I was in the DJT library on my phone on a page where it was listing the rarest kanji in a work and one of them was 掣. I thought "hey I think I know that" and tried to type out "掣肘" just for the "掣" to confirm it was the same kanji from my memory. Oh well I'll just not bother with that on my phone.

Three men who just ate their first meal after many days are asked to give thanks to the rabbit they just ate.
すると男達は、誰からともなく皿とカップを雪の上に置くと、両手の拳を顔の前で合わせて目を閉じた。

"Thereupon, the three men [from someone (it's unknown who)] placed their cup and plate on top of the snow, put their fists in front of their faces and closed their eyes."

Could someone please enlighten me to what 誰からともなく is doing in this sentence? I've found a few resources on google as to what it could mean, but none are helping me understand how it is being used in this instance. The only thing I can think is that the 誰から is the one who put the the plates and cups on top of the snow, and for some reason it's being obscured which of the three men did it.

Did you find the DoJG entry for ともなく? It just means that they all did it at the same time, no one took the initiative on their own.

Oh neat, I didn't check DoJG. I guess it's meant to show maybe spontaneity of some sort.. the pov in this text is impersonal third person, so putting that in a kind of objective wording is giving me a little trouble. Thanks.

What's with this sudden increase in Americans on DJT?
Has school period ended or something?

It's summer break in america

my summer school begins in 2 weeks.

All of them are me. I take on one extra personality for every 100 pounds.

やっぱり

皆さん、質問があります。
「何々になる」と言うとき、普通に「なる」を含めなくためいいんですか?
「何々に」と言えるのですか?

言いたいことによると思うけどとにかく「ふつう」ではない

倒置法のことだったら別だが

今はこういう細かいこと考えないほうがいいじゃないかな。意味だけ分かれば十分

>summer school
Underage, pls deteitte kudasai.

>my summer school begins in 2 weeks
So not only are you underage, you're also a brainlet that can't pass basic high school classes.

are you guys retarded?

i'm in college. college summerschool is basically a requirement for any sort of serious 4-year degree path.

They assumed you were underage because most people say something along the lines of "summer semester", "summer classes", or "summer courses".

>倒置法
これはもっと説明していただきませんか?

お前はバカかー>バカか、お前は
お前は俺の手で死ぬー>お前はしぬ、俺の手で!

とにかく助詞が最後に来る文の多くは倒置法の形になってる

This.

>college summerschool is basically a requirement for any sort of serious 4-year degree path.
lol just don't take the minimum amount of classes a quarter you lazy fuck

>007

Hello, Agent Bond. I wish I was underage, the MEXT scholarhip for age 17-22 is something i wish i knew about when i was a kid. i would've done so many things differently in my childhood.

but alas

そうなんですかー!
詳しく説明してくれてありがとう!

Yup, summer school makes him sound like he's a dumb kid who flunked his grade school classes.

今日も勉強になりました!

(笑)
それは大きな間違いだったなぁ、そんな投稿

お前らをちょっと覗きにきた

ように isn't a single word, it's just a common construction. よう (様) means manner/style/appearance. に is just the に particle appended to that.

紫苑

zion?

花屋になりたい

そうかい
日本はアジサイの季節だよ

>待つ
>持つ

>速い
>遠い

word of the day: 従圧式調節換気

What does the time mean?
When you're going to review the card again?

If I hit Good I will review that card until a month a third later from now?

>it has been five days since the last anki session
>still hasn't worked up the motivation to do it

I always remembered 持つ as "hold" because of the finger radical and patrick from spongebob

youtube.com/watch?v=CHhvZW37PhI

>持つ
hand left radical
>待つ
person left radical

ezpz

bitch please
基地
墓地

>person left radical
>not recognizing step radical and learning the difference