Was Batman V Superman simply too deep for modern audiences to understand?

Was Batman V Superman simply too deep for modern audiences to understand?

Absolutely, yes. Audiences are used to the hand-holding formula, not films that ask even a little of them.

It was written too poorly for audiences to understand

I can never tell if people posting this shit are delusional idiots or trolls

Same

Yes. A lot of people are going to kick themselves in the ass for all that they missed in this movie. I predict that in ten years or so, a lot of prominent critics will quietly, and with small doses of self-deprecation, reverse their opinions.

This. It was a truly terrible movie. I fell asleep it was so excruciatingly boring.

Yes. If audiences were less retarded they probably wouldn't have cut 20 minutes out of the film.

Even worse than both
Memesters

this. plus there was sooooo much shit to take in.

You just summed up 95% of Sup Forums threads

MARTHA

>Memellenial Lacks Attention Span: News at 11

Those twenty minutes did fuck all.

Not enough quips for modern audience.

No they added a lot. Hating on this movie is a normie Facebook meme that's so easy to latch onto.

Bull fucking shit. The DC completes BvS. The theatrical cut is an abomination in comparison.

Can you put yourself in my shoes for a moment? Imagine having to put up with catty retards like yourself. Anytime I've given my long 2 cents about Snyder little shitheads like you reply with "lol what a meme!". Go fuck yourself kiddo. Go fuck off to a forum with ratings or downvotes since you are clearly a fan of drive-by "UGH!"

>I'll make the same thread that has been made literally thousands of times this year
>haha lel

kill yourself

I mean, if you say so. You're free to think that. I didn't like the movie cause Superman isn't in it.

Why was there a cyberdemon in Kryptonian ship?

>cause Superman isn't in it.
BvS is wholly about Superman.

Dude, can you imagine being a general audience member? How confusing that scene had to be?

it was actually somehow too stupid for general audiences

And yet Superman isn't in the movie.

why were people upset at Superman after killing Zod and trashing half of the city in the fight, but when he killed troll from fellowship of the ring, trashing half of the city, they bury him as a hero

was second time the charm? or is it because he died this time?

Which is why I appreciated the added Clark material/arc in the Ultimate cut.

No, he's not the happy go lucky All-Star Superman, it's more of a "what would happen if Superman appeared in our jaded, cynical world." Having said that, I am hoping for a sunnier outlook moving forward.

>getting triggered because i dont agree with you
I guess you're a delusional idiot

It is a kinonion. As each layer of kino is revealed normie audiences are left more and more bewildered.

In many ways, yes. It sounds so cringy to say it, but in this case I think it's true.

I remember being shocked when I went online after I watched the movie and realized most people completely missed the point of "Martha" and genuinely thought the only reason Batman spared Superman was because their mothers have the same name.

Not particularly, but it was a very poorly directed film that poorly communicated some of it's more interesting concepts. The biggest example of this is the infamous "Martha" moment. It was a great idea that ideally should have communicated that Bruce, in hearing that Superman was only fighting to protect his mother, realized that he had become the the exact type of person he created Batman to protect people from. Instead, everybody idiot on reddit took it to mean "their mommies have the same name so now they're friends". Yes, you can blame that on the jaw dropping stupidity of the general audience, but a good director should be able to communicate these ideas effectively enough so that they are apparent to even the lowest common denominator.

But the added Clark Kent material didn't go anywhere or do anything except make Clark Kent look like an idiot who's unaware of his surroundings.

>a good director should be able to communicate these ideas effectively enough so that they are apparent to even the lowest common denominator.

Yeesh. That's a problematic opinion amigo.

This movie is honestly Plato's Allegory of the Cave. Those who truly understand it can look beyond the scenes to find the true essence or "form" of the thing. Those individuals see the real, while those who are stuck watching it with judgmental eyes and with wrong opinions continue to critique the "style" or "writing" without any real idea of what is beyond just the surface.

Because the wise have a duty to truth, they must re-enter the cave to hopefully convince the others to leave the world of mere shadows so that they may come to know truth as well. However, the cave dwellers are stubborn and prefer to cling to their shadows. They get upset and angry once you begin to tell them that they're wrong about the world, about everything they know being a lie. They will attack anyone that tells them about the truth simply because they do not know any better.

This should dissuade us though, the duty to truth far surpasses our own safety. To my fellow Batman V Superman fans and enlightened beings, we must continue to the fight at all costs, so that the world can one day accept it to be the great film (greek word "kino") that it truly is.

>in hearing that Superman was only fighting to protect his mother, realized that he had become the the exact type of person he created Batman to protect people from
Everyone recognized that, literally everyone. The "their mommies have the same name so now they're friends" is irony people use to point out how poorly and hamfistedly that is conveyed. Not to say that's a good point, anyway.

That is the loudest I've ever heard somebody smell their own fart.

>Was Batman V Superman simply too deep for modern audiences to understand?
Unironically yes.

good post

You're right

They look but they cannot see.

This picture looks like an older, famous picture. This makes it high art. Yes, I deliberately picked a very ugly drawing.

those wayne contemplation scenes were beautiful

Exactly. That image right there IS Superman. When I watch BvS it feels like the people behind it actively hate the Character of Superman. The lack of understanding feels almost intentional.

I'm happy that Sup Forums recognizes the qualities of BvS. I geniunely think it's the most important capeshit of the decade. It's not perfect but it's so much more than its equivalents.

>irony people use to point out how poorly and hamfistedly that is conveyed.

So exactly what I just said? Good post.

You somehow think that only you realize that, when in reality most people do.

This, and to some extent Man of Steel, exist in their own time and place. We may never see the likes of them for a long time. Snyder made something unique. Mythic, personal, beautifully realized.

> when in reality most people do.
Then maybe they should say that instead of being "ironic".

Is snyder the only capeshit director that actually knows how to frame a fucking shot?

It makes it high art because it flawlessly invokes both the emotion and the aesthetic of source material, justifying the invocation by actually being really good art. Were someone like Rembrandt, Porter, or Bosch alive today they'd probably be very impressed by the light diffusion.

>it flawlessly invokes both the emotion
Seems like it failed to do so for most viewers.

Timeless kino.

>The devil gets, as usual, the most florid dialogue, and Jesse Eisenberg dispenses it with exuberant intelligence. He steals every scene. In a recent interview in Le Monde, Eisenberg discussed his approach to the role:

>"Luthor becomes a character from Greek tragedy. At least, that’s how I approached it, in accord with the screenwriter. He only talks about ideas, which makes him a profoundly theatrical character. I can also play on a paradox: rendering this individual funny although he behaves in an appalling way, also showing him prone to deep depressions because of his internal conflicts. I did everything I could to theatricalize him in the extreme. I had read lots of the adventures of Superman in comic books, but it was impossible to draw on them to find a way to play Luthor. Too schematic. Too much of a caricature. I reconfigured the character as if he became in fact the center of the film."

>Eisenberg’s gleeful and inventive performance suggests that he may be at his best in a tight framework that restrains his physicality and converges his acting to vocal inflections and turns of phrase, gestures and facial expressions.

>most viewers
>should appeal to the lowest common denominator

Snyder is making cinéma not a coloring book

>Lex Luthor's motivation is that his daddy molested him
wew

>his daddy molested him
What did he mean by this?

"I had to endure my father's... abominations".

Unless someone proves you otherwise, yes.

Excuse you?

Most viewers probably don't even know who the people I listed are and I would venture to say less then one percent of people who watch movies (which is fucking everybody, let's be real) could tell you what a DoP is; let alone what they do. Also, I don't like to appeal to popularity to win stupid internet opinion wars, but it resonated enough to gross 800+ million USD world wide, right?

pure kino

u wot m8?

I feel like i'm taking crazy pills when this is considered A+ movie magic and BvS is a joke.

großes Kino

I like you.

Mass marketing is one hell of a drug

This

Good one.

Don't worry. Someday Warner/ DC will produce a quality movie, it's only a matter of time.

It will all click for you some day, Trust me.

but he is right

Literally an objectively good movie

I really don't understand the hate

Of course. Without proper education in ancient Roman and Greek culture someone simply cannot see what's hidden within an unconventional plot.
Take Plato's Allegory of the Cave from The Republic VII for instance, those who have only seen the shadows on the wall only know those only. Marvel consumers simply don't have the ability to understand Snyder's work therefore we can't blame them for being ignorant.

/thread

surely you jest

I'm sincerely baffled too. You are not alone.

POTTERY
O
T
T
E
R
Y

Does that mean that Doomsday would sodomize Luthor's corpse after punching him?

Iconic, fully realized Superman is a cheat. He should struggle and doubt and still persevere to inspire hope. That's precisely what they're going for, and it's precisely what we got.

They even took his near-meaningless death arc and managed to imbue it with narrative importance. His life and death are what prompts the founding of both the Justice League and the Squad, and that speaks nothing to how the experience might potentially change him and most likely will.

I got something for everyone to ponder in a follow-up post.

Fellow fans of MoS and BvS, I'd like you to give this some thought.

Everyone likes to think of Zod as kind of a space Nazi, but I don't think that's all he's intended to be. What is it that the source of the Kryptonian eugenics program is called? It's "the Codex," a word that means, among other things, a precursor to the printed book, essentially a bound manuscript. The word carries some pretty heavy religious connotations. Zod not only wants to control this "book," but also wants to choose what is considered "canon" from it by weeding out what he considers the "degenerate bloodlines." When he finds out that Jor and Lara have naturally conceived a child, he calls it heresy.

He's a religious extremist. Interestingly enough, care to guess what major world religion came into being around the same time the codex was becoming a widespread form of preserving text?

Thanks.

Not to mention all the 9/11 imagery in MoS.

What will click for me?

At least I can see what's going on.

Mainly .

So if that's what Zod represents, what does that say about Kal-El, the man with the Codex written into his DNA, the embodiment of Krypton's past and future?

Christianity?

I'm not saying he shouldn't struggle, that wouldn't be interesting, anyone could tell you that. But the man in this movie, the one in the blue jumpsuit who shoots lasers out of his eyes? He's not Superman. There is nothing about this man that is the last Son of Krypton. When I think of Superman I think of someone who's easily approachable. The character in BvS is anything but approachable. He's distant and cold. Superman should be like his power source, the sun. Warm.

Nah fuck you

BvS is trash

Jesus Christ your autism could sink ships.

I'm really starting to think it's Islam. Let me explain why, and why I think it's amazing that this story got written at this point in history.

It's a message that Islam needs to do a better job of defining itself and fighting some of its own monsters that are trying to wrest the book from it and interpret it as they see fit.

In BvS, people frequently mention how few speaking lines Superman has. Among other interpretations, that could be meant to represent the "silence" of the Muslim community in light of the atrocities that keep getting laid at its feet. Superman is associated not only with the destruction that took place during the Battle of Metropolis, but also with war crimes in Africa and the bombing of an important symbol of Western authority.

The media even speaks about him the same way they speak about the Muslim community, calling him out on his silence and inaction.

That's not to say that Supes's hands are totally clean in all this. He thinks he can just keep doing his thing and letting his actions(or lack thereof) define him to the world. Pretty much exactly like the Muslim community does, and, like him, fails to see the importance in establishing any sort of meaningful dialogue with the West.

Lastly, never forget, Superman is and always will be the "alien," the quintessential immigrant story.

You are a loser.

I was going more about the fact that Krypton didn't used to be always that extremist and insular like in the last days. Superman's Scout Ship, for example, is an ancient ship from the period when Krypton was much more enlightened.

So i took that as meaning that Superman represented Christianity while Zod Islam, but you could be right.

It's funny you mention that, because I sort of think of what we've seen of Superman thus far as Clark Kent cosplaying as Superman. He hasn't yet fully realized the importance of establishing a rapport and a dialogue with the people of Earth(see ). Next time he appears, I think that's going to be an important part of the story, and I hope he seeks advice from someone who's had decades of experience in crafting an identity and turning it into a symbol.

I failed him in life.

I can guarantee you this: you will never see a back-to-back movie experience like MoS and BvS ever again. It was extremely well thought out and complex. It's a shame most people dont want to invest the time to figure out what Zack was going for. It truly is a timeless masterpiece of the highest order