What's happening to Marvel Studios

Marvel Studios has always prided itself on having the reputation of being smart, listening to fans and criticism, and reinventing the wheel. While Doctor Strange was decent, the movie was carried just by its visuals. The actual story feels very made by the committee and tailored for focus groups. They also blatantly repeat the same mistakes of their previous movies(how many fucking times are we going to get a shit villain)? It seems the Netflix shows are the only MCU propertrties with any creativity left. Has the company gotten to the point where autistic out of touch suits have taken over(just like WB)?

*rapes you*

Critics need to stop giving them a pass for this shit because it stunts their creativity. If this keeps going on the Suits are going to get so high off the smell of their own shit that they'll end up destroying the MCU.

Read up on Kevin Feige. He has lead a brutal campaign to get rid of any talent and replaced them with yes men. His agenda taints everything. Marvel is disgusting.

The goddamn "humor" in Dr Strange shit me up the wall, so many unnecessary quips. They basically turned Strange into Tony Stark, rather than letting him be his own character.

That being said I think Dr Strange had good worldbuilding and action scenes. That and it felt more like a fantasy movie than standard capeshit.

Critics aren't going to stop soon. They are well aware most people are getting tired of the Marvel formula which is why everytime there is a new Marvel movie they all go "This is nothing like the one prior" and then the masses go and watch it and the process repeats.

In general, since anyone become a movie critic, the whole clique has been overwhelmed by politically-driven idiots who are only in it to push their agenda.

I liked Dr Strange, but man, some critics are wankers. The way they review movies, it's like they're just trying to exhaust their vocabulary rather than give a good critical analysis.

>Marvel Studios has always prided itself on having the reputation of being smart, listening to fans and criticism, and reinventing the wheel.
it has?

>a MOVIE
>being carried by visuals
>bad

ok

>listening to fans and criticism, and reinventing the wheel.

Marvel focus groups every single piece of film they produce until they pull out the most generic mass audience pleasing script possible. Any deviation from this process or anything the execs think will get shitcanned or you fired.

What's crazy is that Downey Jr who gets money on the gross and paid at least triple of his closest memeber still has absolutely zero control over editorial. Do any of you realize how insane that is, that he still, after so many years and so movies and so many paychecks and he still has no control over anything his character does film to film? That he still isn't a producer on these things? That is not normal at all and a result of a structure in place where the studio decides absolutely everything and writers, actors and directors are all completely interchangeable. Just like their fucking comic books the only difference being that the comics editors don't give a fucking shit what their readers want.

They're even ripping off other effects sequences now, too. Strange's tour of the multiverse is almost note-for-note what we see Jodie Foster getting in Contact. It's blatant and insulting.

>Contact
Fucking hell stop talking about Contact you bring that film up all the time it was shit.

Doctor Strange was one of the first movies they wanted to make. And it took them until 2016. I think they struggled a bit with all the magic and Infinity Stone stuff. I like the result. I enjoyed the movie but in the end it seems they had to dial back a bit with their ambitions. I think the sequel would profit from another director with a different vision. You already saw that in the scene with Thor which was directed by Taika Waititi. I was a good start but they could play it less safe next time.

Whether it's shit or not is irrelevant. It was obviously considered good enough to rip off, which they very obviously did.

It's even used in precisely the same way it was used in Contact - to show the character's horizons being broadened, which makes it even more obvious and really does highlight the lack of imagination and creativity behind these movies.

I'm insulted by it. You should be, too.

>he still has no control over anything his character does film to film
That is a pretty wild thing that had not occurred to me. Especially when you consider how Ryan Reynolds gained a huge influence on Deadpool 2 after only one movie.

Jesus, that is pretty creepy once you really consider it.

The only scene in that sequence that looked like it was from Contact was when Tilda was on his side when he fell into the chair and space stretched into the distance and pulled him back into the multiverse traveling sequence.

You're jaded.

The movie's plot felt compressed, it should have been a series instead, one that developed more on his time spent at the monastery and had more time for character arcs. The strangeness that you felt about it, quip intended, was that it felt like watching the Abridged version of said series.

That being said, a series could never have had the money for the visuals or the money to keep these high pedigree actors around. They picked the better option.

Like Watchmen, Strange probably could never have been adapted more precisely than this.

The scene where they try to steal the watch from him, and you think he protects it because of it's material value, only to find out later that it was given to him by the girl, is beautiful character building though contrasting the character introduction with where the character stands now.

The scene of Tilda's last talk with Strange before he dies is beautiful.

His character arc where he realizes that it's "not about him" and decides to strap himself in a loop with Dormammu, especially the sentence "I can't win, but I can lose an infinite times" and "pain is an old friend" are very good moments of heroism.

The scene where he puts his broken watch on his broken hands, as the last scene of the movie, is fucking kino.

It is a very good movie.

Very compressed, sadly. But not manufactured.

They could've slowed it down a little bit with more scenes where the plot rests, which would've put the movie's run time over 2 hours, and maybe they were afraid of that? It sounds like the rare case of something that can actually be fixed with a director's cut.

The entire structure of the sequence is a lift from Contact. He stares in awe of what's in front of him while we see space distorting in his peripheral. There's even a moment where he "doubles up" in transit like Foster's character.

It's really fucking blatant.

No it's not. There is no chair breaking, no calm moment where she utters the "they should've sent a poet", and he doesn't stand in awe at all, he is fucking horrified, and it is not the climax to which the movie builds up. that space-stretch is the only visual cue that triggered people to think about Contact. Would it not have been there, nobody would be drawing even a distant comparisonbetween the two.

So the two things that aren't there negate the dozen similarities that are. Christ. When he comes back and says "teach me," that's the "poet" climax.