DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME ON THIS MEME FILM

It's basically just a really well shot Infinity by Calvin Klein commercial... that lasts 2 fucking hours. The party scenes look like ambient outtakes from Entourage. And at one point we finally discover what a strip club looks like when shot by a really top line cinematographer, yay! And it's full of film school tier cliches like a man walking on a beach, wondering where it all went wrong for him and stuff like that.

It's just self-indulging and navel-gazing """"""""""art"""""""""""".

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=MQbInyX3vm8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Quite literally 2deep4u

As I said, literally film school tier.

If morons like you don't like it, it must be good. I'll give it a shot.

All those apostrophes, fuck how do I respond to such amazing arguments?

This is one of the most amazing experiences I've had in my life and probably the only film together with To the Wonder which actually moved something in my soul. Never knew film could do that, but Malick proved me wrong.

It's not FREEDOM it's the fool. God dammit.

It's actually from Mark Kermode's review.

>And it's full of film school tier cliches like a man walking on a beach, wondering where it all went wrong for him and stuff like that.
Heh, I actually thought the same about the film for the longest time until I rewatched it then it clicked me. It's a legitimate concern though, where did it all go wrong for him when he found nothing but emptiness in his life and patronizing/being cynical is really not an answer.

kek this is quite accurate

still worth watching though if just to see dubsman suck Natalie Portman's toes

How do you make multiple apostrophe quotation marks in an audio review?

Malick became too focused on his annoying camera work than making a good movie

It just doesn't match the stories, that style worked for The Tree of Life but that's it, make a good movie instead of trying to be a unique snowflake grandpa, it's shit

I liked it, but I still think Tree of Life was the perfect embodiment of what this sort of filming style can achieve while simultaneously having a story and thematic obsession that supported it.

To the Wonder and Knight of Cups both feel like inferior interpretations of what is already a perfect movie. I know a lot of people shit on ToL but I think it's phenomenal, and could/should have been the end-point for Malick's new film style. He needs to move onto something else or at least grant himself a little to reflect before boring on to another purely aesthetic film that meanders on and on.

Still: I love the aesthetic. Knight of Cups was captivating, but lacking in power.

Just my two pennies. Pls no bully.

His camera work is far from annoying. Very effective in my opinion, and stunning to look at.

>Tree of Life.
was a bad film in my opinion but TTW and KOC are great films both.

Tree of Life was barely 'there', TTW is where he really nailed it down and it's even improved in Knight of Cups. The whole memory-stream of consciousness type of directing.

>Lacking in power.
To me it just keeps getting more and more powerful upon rewatches. I can't wait what the madman does with the pacifist film.

Rëddit pls go

haven't seen KOC but I agree with the rest. ToL felt like a failed epic that just wasn't good enough, while TTW is one of my favorite movies of all time.

I think r/film is more your speed buddy. Try getting into deadpool and Jurassic world, no tough points like themes or thinking required. just some one liners

as if this board even cares or watches Malick, this board had tons of JP and Deadpool spam when those films were in cinema or in torrents.

This board is very pleb

This made it worth it. This and the top-tier cinematography. I get that Malick's films are becoming increasingly autobiographical, but that's also making them all the more opaque and inaccessible.

I like it

I doubt its that inaccessible outside of its non-conventional directing and having a white male lead.

Mallick is the king of pretentious cunts.

Have you seen, and do you like, any other Malick movies OP?

Unfortunately, I felt the same way. I usually enjoy Malick's films, but this one was so boring that it was draining after a while.
I watched it at the cinema with some friends who enjoy art-house movies. When we came out, my friends were raving about how great it was and because I didn't want to get into a debate about it I just grinned and agreed.
Honestly though, got really bored of it about half-way through. But a few shots are still stuck in my memory, and perhaps rewatching it will make it seem more cohesive. After reading about it I found out that there was no script and they would just film things that seemed good at the time. Finding that out just made the whole thing make a lot more sense.

This is one of my favorite films. It's flawless in my eyes, one of the most moving things I've seen. I loved ToL and thought TTW was somewhat of a misstep, but Knight of Cups was the epitome of Malick's style. The camera movement and the narrative flow makes the film so tangible. I feel like I can wrap myself up in the movie.

I love it how it felt kaleidoscopic and how it showed so many different worlds within worlds and each segment was its own story that contributed to the bigger story (the combination of the stories forming ricks life narrative)

By tapping the table as if you were sending morse code.

Thin Red Line is a masterpiece. Badlands was pretty rad. Haven't seen anything else, yet.

Not him, but check out Days of Heaven. It's a normal story like Badlands, but better imo. And I agree about TTRL, many people don't like how it feels like a transition of style, sort of stuck in the middle, but I loved it. I'd say it's in his top 3 behind ToL and KoC

P O O T S
O
O
T
S

Malick has GOAT taste in music
youtube.com/watch?v=MQbInyX3vm8

STICK TO FLICKS WEEKEND MEMERS

>Perhaps no film in the history of cinema follows the movement of memory as faithfully, as passionately, or as profoundly as Terrence Malick’s new film, “Knight of Cups.” It’s an instant classic in several genres—the confessional, the inside-Hollywood story, the Dantesque midlife-crisis drama, the religious quest, the romantic struggle, the sexual reverie, the family melodrama—because the protagonist’s life, like most people’s lives, involves intertwined strains of activity that don’t just overlap but are inseparable from each other. The movie runs less than two hours and its focus is intimate, but its span seems enormous—not least because Malick has made a character who’s something of an alter ego, and he endows that character with an artistic identity and imagination as vast and as vital as his own.

>As such, “Knight of Cups” is one of the great recent bursts of cinematic artistry, a carnival of images and sounds that have a sensual beauty, of light and movement, of gesture and inflection, rarely matched in any movie that isn’t Malick’s own. Here, he—and his cinematographer, Emmanuel Lubezki—surpass themselves. Where “The Tree of Life” is filled with memories, is even about memory, “Knight of Cups” is close to a first-person act of remembering, and the ecstatic power of its images and sounds is a virtual manifesto, and confession, of the cinematic mind at work. It’s a mighty act of self-portraiture in dramatic action and in directorial creation.

You can't write your own opinion about the film but need to find opinions from somewhere else? Sad as fuck.