Lang

>What language are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Find people to train your language with!

>Language learning resources:
4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Sup Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

duolingo.com/
>Duolingo is a free language-learning platform that includes a language-learning website and app, as well as a digital language proficiency assessment exam. Duolingo offers all its language courses free of charge.

>Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30+ languages.

drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk#
>Google Drive folder with books for all kinds of languages.

fsi-languages.yojik.eu/languages/oldfsi/index.html
>Drill based courses with text and audio.The Foreign Service Institute (FSI) is the United States federal government's primary training institution for employees of the U.S. foreign affairs community.These courses are all in public domain and free to download.Site may go down sometimes but you can search for fsi on google and easily find a mirror.

memrise.com/
>Free resource to learn vocabulary, nice flash cards.

lingvist.com/
>It's kinda like Clozemaster in the sense that you get a sentence and have to fill in the missing word, also has nice statistics about your progress, grammar tips and more information about a word (noun gender, verb aspects for Russian, etc.)

ankisrs.net/
>A flash card program

clozemaster.com/languages
>Clozemaster is language learning gamification through mass exposure to vocabulary in context.Can be a great supplementary tool, not recommended for absolute beginners.

tatoeba.org/eng/
>Tatoeba is a collection of sentences and translations with over 300 hundred languages to chose from.

radio.garden/
>Listen to radio all around the world through an interactive globe

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/ZrY22qe0
claudepiron.free.fr/articlesenanglais/reactions.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

pastebin.com/ZrY22qe0
>Few more resources that didn't fit into OP

last thread:

bump

Anyone learning a classical / dead language?

German, it's pretty great desu

>100m+ natives
>dead

not very useful in South America, but still not a bad language to know

I know a classical living language and started to learn another one last year. The last major literary contact between these two languages was in the Middle Ages.

Just learning it for fun, i should learn portuguese though

Learning Turkish right now. I've got Rosetta Stone and I'm a good ways into the lessons. It was gifted to me and I'm curious to know if I should keep using RS or drop it for something else that might be better? My only real issue is there isn't a built in flashcard or review section to help with some difficult vocab or grammar, but I suppose I could use other programs for that or make my own

Spanish in a nutshell: su for her, su for his, su for your, su for their. And people are still wondering why beaners behead one another with a chainsaw on a regular basis.

I study Latin. It's a good language. I just wish there was more contemporary stuff to read. The contemporary poetry is okay, but Latin Wikipedia has too little, and pieces like the Vemortuorum Liber or the Capti book are unfortunately eccentric exceptions.

Considering Portuguese. I lost my motivation for Latin a few years back.

Need like a set regiment in learning lads...any help?

Why Portuguese and not Spanish?

Drop it. RS is complete shit, even if you obtained it for free.

That's what I was afraid of, feel bad for the relative that bought it for me though. So duolingo instead then?

Spanish too, I should have mentioned it.

Then you should go for Spanish since it has more quality content on the internet and its grammar is way more streamlined, especially when it comes to reading and writing.

Mi lernas Esperanton, kaj vi?
Bonvolu ne ĉikanu

morir

>be learning French
>besides the pronunciation, it isn't hard at all
>takes a long ass time to learn just because it's a language and memorization
such a piss off but at least it's easy going

*muere

Interlingua rules, Esperanto drools

V O L A P Ü K
O
L
A
P
Ü
K

pinche mono

The languages I want to learn might as well be dead
I feel too guilty knowing it'd be pointless to enjoy but I don't talk to anyone so I guess it doesn't really matter

What's the point? We all speak English already, anyway.

because it's fun

U-usted también compa de la estepa
> Volapük
> Literally nonsense
> Interlingua
> MOSTLY regular grammar
> Not completely regular
> Only 2000 speakers
> French
> Literally the anti-esperanto
> Francoj literally destroyed the esperanto movement in the 20th century
> Not learning it for the propedeutic value
French was literally the lingua franca 100 years ago, but now English is. The same could happen to English.

I said no bully pls ;-;

Why not learn it for fun anyways?

Also, this is the list of psychollogical reactions to Esperanto.
claudepiron.free.fr/articlesenanglais/reactions.htm

>Literally nonsense
okomipob oli

Yeah, there's no way any of these conlangs is going to replace English and its massive prestige. It's still kind of fun.

>> Interlingua
>> MOSTLY regular grammar
>> Not completely regular
"Esperanto is completely regular" my ass. At least in Interlingua we don't do false advertising and outright state that the language is not fully regular.

If "poetry" is "poezio", how come "poet" is "poeto" and not *"poeziisto"?

Of course, this is influence of the big natural languages at the expense of regularity, but my point is that unlike what Esperanto pamphlets say this is pervasive throughout the language.

A "turisto" is not someone who works at a tower ("turo"), a "turisto" is just a tourist!

>> Only 2000 speakers
Yeah. Also, another point in favour of Esperanto is that it actually has some sort of culture, whereas Interlingua culture is as bland as it gets.

Keep on studying Esperanto by all means, just don't do false advertising.

Kian diablaĵon vi ĵus diris pri mi, idioto-idisto? Jam legeblas en la Fundamento, ke mi estas la unua-ranga soldato elektita de la Finvenkista Esperanta Komitato por protekti la tombejon de Lia Moŝta Zamenhof kontraŭ la atakado de 300 volapukistoj de mi plene mortigitaj? Mi speciale scipovas mensajn atakojn; nur mi povis elmondigi Kabe-on. Por mi vi estas nur plia murdoto. Mi neniigos vin pli precize ol kiom precize PMEG priskribas la gramatikon, mi ĵuras al vi je la barbo de Nia Unua Verdulo. Vi pensas, ke interrete vi povas diri tion kaj eviti min. Ĉi-momente mi kontaktas la kaŝitan duan UEA-on, kies spionaro nun serĉas la spurojn de via interreta adreso.
Venas ne facila vento, sed nur glavo sangon soifanta. Mia kolegaro eterne militanta povas esti ie ajn, iam ajn por mortigi vin sepcent-maniere nur mane. Krom mia granda korpa kapablaro, mi havas ankaŭ ĉiujn armilojn koletitajn por atingi la Finan Venkon fini vian kompatindan estadon. Se vi nur scius kian kolektiĝon de batalantoj via eta diro kreus! Eble vi ne elbuŝigus tian fian malverdaĵon. Vi kaj via peko kiel feko forpurigendas.
Por eterna ben' efektiviĝos.

I have to choose between French and German for collegial reasons, which one do you think should I choose? And elaborate if possible please.

Fuck off, leave Europe alone.

You have to go back t*rk

I don't think you understand

The college I will try to get in will want from me to be fluent in either german or french, so I have to choose one

Said college is not in Europe, it's just that this is what they require

Because Esperanto represents a moral victory against imperialism.

per que non estudiatz lo proensale?

Because Occitan poetry puts women on a pedestal too much.

Typical medieval Occitan poem:

Per aquesta fri e tremble,
Quar de tam bon'amor l'am,
Qu'anc no cug qu'en nasques semble
En semblan del gran linh n'Adam.

Can't stand this shit.

我學文言也. 文言異今之漢文也.

ĉikani*

Saluton amiko. :3

>What language are you learning?

Hungarian

WTF have I done? After the level 1 tree on duolingo, I can only remember "kösönöm"

>falling for the Duolingo meme
le kek

Hungarians will be impressed if you get conversational, not many non 'native' speakers.

what? if that it makes better.

Start with Pimsleur, finish those 30 lessons on it then go to memrise/anki for vocab while working through a grammar book.

Almanca biraz daha kolay Fransızca'ya göre ama ikisininde uyduruklukları var o yüzden sana kalmış tabii.Bir de okuyacağın bölüme göre de değişebilir, mühendislik okuyorsan Almanca daha faydalı olur, matematik, hukuk okuyorsan Fransızca vs.

kys

Are there any resources for bands that perform in a language you're learning?
I'm doing swedish right now and all I know of is caramelldansen and sabaton

I want to learn Ancient Egyptian for kicks. Imagine being like "yeah I speak bla bla bla, and Ancient Egyptian."

OI. I HAVE MANY MOTIVATIONS BUT NO PLACE TO PUT THEM. WHAT COUNTRY'S LANGUAGE DO I LEARN?
>BOLAND
>BINLAND
>BORWAY
>BETHERLANDS

What the fuck is up with the higher level weekly and all time learners? I've only spent about an hour today learning swedish but there is 4 hours worth of work in the gap between place 7 and I in swedish

the diff between me and the current #2 overall learner is about 7.2m points but the fucker got 6.9 million of them in only 29 days

Would you agree with the term 'Neo-Latin' for Romanian?

finland would kill you, I suggest learning swedish and using that as a foundation to quickly learn norwegian/danish, then moving onto icelandic or finnish if you want

knowing any nordic language will also make german super easy for you

why turkish?

you should probably get a teach yourself book, and supplement with Duolingo and Memrise/Anki. Use RS if you want. If you feel guilty about not using it, just sell it or something and use the money to buy something for your relative.

You don't mix them up?

Try Lingvist, it's got other languages too but their French course is the best.

I will never be able to justify learning Esperanto. It will never become the global language, it's ugly, and has no culture.
>inb4 hurr it's easy and a gentle introduction to other languages
just fucking learn a real language. the only place you'll get to speak Esperanto is at circlejerk polyglot gatherings.

Whichever one sounds best to you and the one you like the movies/books/whatever the most. German is probably more grammatically similar to Turkish than French (though they're still very different)

dumb liberal detected. English became the global language, boo hoo, who cares why? I'm not even english myself but I think it's a pretty good language to be the international language.

All useless unless you live there. Maybe Norwegian because then you can understand Swedish and Danish.

Yeah would kick ass to be able to have a conversation in AE. I've always enjoyed hieroglyphics.

>Forgot pic

Sounds good m8.

The most useful language for me to learn would be Spanish, but I have no MANY MOTIVATIONS for it and I figure forcing myself to learn a language I hate is a waste of time. Plus it's a very long term goal of mine to look towards moving to some chilly meme-country in Europe.

We did shit on AE like 10 years ago in school and that's when I became obsessed with it. I still remember coloring in a Tutankhamen picture.

I've always found it a bit creepy, how everyone seems to love AE and how it still influences our culture. I listened to a podcast where they were talking about how AE trends are coming back, the thick eyeliner, the emojis acting as hieroglyphics. A bit far fetched but still interesting.

Then don't pick Spanish at all, I studied Spanish in school and I hated it so much that I learned nothing of worth in years, even though I studied hard. I dropped it when I left. Kind of a shame because it's so useful and I hate leaving things unfinished, but eh.

I'm learning Korean now so I know what learning a meme-language feels like. At least I won't quit though

It's just so attractive; everything about that culture, especially the aesthetics are so comfy.

I do like how the letter system works...almost mathematical. How's the grammar and verb conjugation?

The grammar is completely different from English. The sentence structure is almost backward. There are a ton of particles. Though there is no he/she/it/etc conjugation, just past/present/future and formality levels, which is not difficult at all. It's the easiest part of the language.

Because this is such a different language to English, just wipe out all expectations and start with a blank slate, don't try to apply rules from English. Look at how confusing it is literally translating:

저는 제가 자주 가는 곳에 가고 있어요 (I am going to the place I often go to)
I I often go place go -ing.

However, despite being confusing at first, it actually makes sense and is pretty elegant imo. It's very interesting, I love learning its grammar and I've always hated grammar before.

I recommend you howtostudykorean.com, and supplement with their memrise course and the ton of kdramas there are.

Yeah, but then French and Spanish are "neo-Latin" too.

bamp

bomp

My wife is Turkish so learning it for her.
teşekkür ederim

Rica ederim, iyi şanslar kardeş.

I have considered learning French or Spanish. but I am in a small area in the northwest usa. so there's no real point unless I move to another country, or big city or someplace like southern California, Arizona or something