Why does Europe have so few megacities compared to South America and Mexico Sup Forums?

Why does Europe have so few megacities compared to South America and Mexico Sup Forums?

>Europe population: 743 million
>Megacities: 3.5 (London, Paris, Moscow, half of Istanbul)

>South/Central America + Mexico population: 592 million
Megacities: Probably six (Mexico City, Buenos Aires, São Paulo, Rio de Janeiro, Lima, and Bogota)

Latin America's former colonial master Spain doesn't even have a megacity. Why?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagos
youtube.com/watch?v=YRcUPiChx7k
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

They don't do skyscrapers basically

They can't go for more than 60 years without a war that destroys half the continent so they don't want to bother.

Megacities aren't necessarily a good thing.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagos

youtube.com/watch?v=YRcUPiChx7k

>Why does Europe have so few megacities compared to South America and Mexico Sup Forums?
Because megacities are usually absolute trash to live in, they're expensive and soulless. The only exception to this rule might be certain areas of Paris, but that's debatable.

>They can't go for more than 60 years without a war that destroys half the continent so they don't want to bother.
You're one to talk, you warmongering Americans. Is there a country in the middle east you haven't bombed back to the stone ages yet?

And it's totally not true, it's been over 70 years since WW2, so it has been proven that we can behave in a peaceful, pacifist manner. That said, a race war might just break out in the next five to ten years, but that isn't our fault, but muslims' and migrants' who keep coming here uninvited, shitting all over our civilization, when nobody wants them.
Also it's partially your fault too, because you're the ones who keep assassinating elected leaders, and instigating revolutions and arming terrorists you pieces of shit. Then you go on about being the best """"friends"""" of Europe in the media. The nerve.

>Moscow

Moscow is not a european city.

M-muh megacities

> because you're the ones who keep assassinating elected leaders, and instigating revolutions

>Hungary
>Complaining about other countries starting revolutions

Look in the mirror, Soros György...

It's eastern Europe. But still European. It's certainly not an ASIAN city. So...

Megacities are the future. Just look at China - their economic growth is mostly coming from growing cities that are becoming megacities, or became megacities since the 90's.

Ye, I don't give a shit. I'm not gonna live in some fucking dumpster full of multi-kulti shit just to stroke my dick to the thought that I live in muh megacity.

>their economic growth is mostly coming from growing cities that are becoming megacities
I thought it was from selling cheap plastic junk to fat people.

America never forced up to take these refugees. Your current problems are all Germany's fault

*forced you

Well there's a lot of fat people who want a lot of junk.
Also ghost cities to falsely inflate their economy.

>Well there's a lot of fat people who want a lot of junk.
So a megacity is a factory farm?

that's actually ingenious

So does the US. You have NY, LA, Chicago and the rest are smalish cities

Even smaller countries are concentrating into urban areas. Rural areas in most places (outside of Africa) have slow or negative population growth.

Look at a country like Bulgaria, with a falling population - the rural areas are declining, but metro Sofia has almost 1.7 million now. It;s the biggest city in the country, and also the healthiest economically.

The US only has 326 million people; not almost 750 million like Europe.

We've been concentrating in Urban areas since Sumeria. It doesn't necessarily follow that a megacity is superior to a non-mega city. In fact, Tokyo balkanized and is subdivided into multiple municipalities with their own mayors.

Ghost cities are made it be future homes for migrating Chinese.

All those wards answer to the Tokyo metropolitan government.

Because Europe is nice, continental and liveable instead of inhospitable jungle. Cities developed slowly and gradually.

Once again, I don't give a crap. My quality of life is more important than "muh m-megacity", I prefer the size of a city I live in now(180k city, 350k agglomeration).

Was that English?

>Ghost cities are made to be future homes for migrating Chinese from the rural areas..

>QoL
>Poland

So? What I was implying was that the size becomes an issue and the solution is subdivision into smaller sub-cities.

>Tokyo: 23 special wards, 26 cities, 1 district, & 4 subprefectures

We're not backwards enough that we need to live in a city to be relevant, city living is shite

Los of stuff in those cities like utilities are still handled by the Tokyo Metropolitan government

Better than China with its megacities.

People don't like skyscrapers here

based

Good to know.

the only benefit of megacities is that they concentrate the dreg of humanity in them and they serve as the primary targets in in an all out nuclear apocalypse.

Madrid, Milan, Rome and Berlin all have more people than Chicago. Europe has plenty of very large cities

Better population distribution

>What is Berlin
>What is Brussels

Metro areas, not city limits. "Megacity" always refers to the entire urban population rather than political divisions.

"Megacity" = urban area with at least 10 million people

Then what is the significance of "megacities", compared to Brussels the capital of the EU.

They are a lot bigger. They represent a new and growing phase in human urbanization. They account for more and more of the world's GDP.

We like european style tho. I wish there were more places like this here.

London is the closest thing to a "megacity" and it's absolutely horrible. Don't understand the appeal. It isn't cyberpunk or anything, either, it's just overcrowded, sprawling and shit.

Because of sieges.

name one 'elected' leader Americans have deposed

Tfw China has 9 megacities

This is actually a verygood point. Medieval and early modern cities didn't sprawl that much because the city had to be defensible.