/lang/

>What language are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Find people to train your language with!

>Language learning resources:
4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Sup Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

duolingo.com/
>Duolingo is a free language-learning platform that includes a language-learning website and app, as well as a digital language proficiency assessment exam. Duolingo offers all its language courses free of charge.

>Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30+ languages.

drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk#
>Google Drive folder with books for all kinds of languages.

fsi-languages.yojik.eu/languages/oldfsi/index.html
>Drill based courses with text and audio.The Foreign Service Institute (FSI) is the United States federal government's primary training institution for employees of the U.S. foreign affairs community.These courses are all in public domain and free to download.Site may go down sometimes but you can search for fsi on google and easily find a mirror.

memrise.com/
>Free resource to learn vocabulary, nice flash cards.

lingvist.com/
>It's kinda like Clozemaster in the sense that you get a sentence and have to fill in the missing word, also has nice statistics about your progress, grammar tips and more information about a word (noun gender, verb aspects for Russian, etc.)

ankisrs.net/
>A flash card program

clozemaster.com/languages
>Clozemaster is language learning gamification through mass exposure to vocabulary in context.Can be a great supplementary tool, not recommended for absolute beginners.

tatoeba.org/eng/
>Tatoeba is a collection of sentences and translations with over 300 hundred languages to chose from.

radio.garden/
>Listen to radio all around the world through an interactive globe

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Cas8k_DT3BE
antimoon.com/
alljapaneseallthetime.com/blog/all-japanese-all-the-time-ajatt-how-to-learn-japanese-on-your-own-having-fun-and-to-fluency/
youtube.com/watch?v=ikm_gL7-mZs
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Mandarin and JavaScript

Anyone having difficulties actually choosing what language(s) to learn? There are so many I'm interested in and I understand that there's just not enough time to become proficient in all of them..

feelsbadman.jpg

>7 days

chrushin that Hungarian brahs

wtfuggggggg

How can people who speak different languages know and learn about each other on the internet?

shitposting on int
Making YouTube channels
Making memes
Writing essays

memes and shitposting are all you need tbqh

I'm already balls deep into German so I want to pick up a Romance language next

I dunno if it should be French or Spanish though

French is the ideal first language for Anglos. There's so much shared vocabulary you can get to a basic conversational level very quickly.

Is he /ourguy/?

This. French is easy and I plan to be done with everything on memrise and duolingo by august. After that it will be excellent background to have for learning Spanish.

maybe

>still falling for the Duolingo meme

>not falling for memes

>What language are you learning?
I starting to learn German, but I'm mostly interested in learning to read the written language, but I don't have a strategy to achieve this yet. For now, I'm using memrise flashcards to pick up basic vocabulary but nothing more.

I decided one after years. A living ancient-written language. Those are most worthy.

I'm learning Korean and Russian. I keep adding languages to that because I get major wanderlust. I've dabbled in Arabic, Persian, Japanese, French, German, Italian, Swedish, etc. But I always come back to Korean and Russian. I really want to learn another language too but I know it'll just slow me down, but knowing that it'll take me years to master my main two languages before I can move on to another one frustrates me.

I've also hit a brick wall. I'm progressing in grammar well, but I can't find a fun way to learn vocab. Flashcards don't help the words stick in my head enough, and writing words out takes too much time.

Which one is that?

Tamil.

>A jet pack operation, send him the crazy Hindu!

I heard it has some distant connection with Korean specifically, in fact.

So far I'm using any Internet resource I can find. Including at least three excellent ones. But overall there isn't a lot to consult, it seems.

Actually the other language I know influenced the decision, but I may be the only speaker of it learning Tamil so I won't say which.

How the FUCK do you roll an R? I'm physically incapable. I'm 12 minutes into Pimleur Russian and I'm already stuck because I've never been able to roll an R. How the fuck is this even a humanly possible sound to produce using only a tongue?

Put your tongue behind your teeth as if you were gonna make an L sound, but keep it relaxed instead of pressing it up against the roof (pressing it against the roof is what you do for an L sound)
Then let out some air to vibrate your tongue, whilst also voicing it

I have no linguistics background so im probably explaining it wrong, my native tongue just has a rolled R

learning a little portuguese bcuz i would love a PT gf and its pretty close from home too, like a 1 hour car ride

I assume this is the place to ask this burning question; why do so many non-Anglos say "How do you call _____" instead of "What do you call _____"? Maybe saying "non-Anglo" is incorrect as for all I know it's correct grammar in British English, but I'm curious

They probably mix it with "how do you say"

And the figure in the other language might be call

I can only say for German
To ask how something is called it's "Wie heißt...", heißen meaning both "to be called" (i.e. a name) and also "to mean [something]"

learning serbian/croatian for several years now
native speakers usually just tell me to kill myself and creative flowery ways how they fuck me, my family or random things like how they fuck the sun out of my sky

Interesting. Doesn't Tamil have very little resources though? I've also heard of Korean having linguistic links to other languages, even Finnish (??) but there's very little reason to go off of. It's apparently just pure coincidence if they have similarities as it's a language isolate. Which language do you know? Is it another Indian language?

Also have you guys noticed that language isolates tend to sound similar and be agglutinative? Finnish, Korean, Japanese, etc. I wonder why. Damn linguistics fascinate me.

Oi :)

Also adding that some people just can't roll their Rs. I'm Bulgarian and some Bulgarians have to go to speech therapy because they can't make that sound, and just end up sounding goofy all their life. It's kinda sad actually

I'm struggling with ы

It sounds like ъи
uh + iiii (without the h sound in the uh)

I want to pick up a Slavic language but I can't decide which one.

inb4 Russian
This is a shit language.

>swedish is the most popular language of study in sweden

Why do you want to speak another slavic language?

t.bh Russian has the most resources, why do you not like it?

I suggest Polish then

Russian is the best language you cunt.

>Doesn't Tamil have very little resources though?

It's been enough so far, especially taking their 'media' into account (e.g. the one in the picture). There's a good, lengthy, classroom style video series on YouTube by a professor, with only 1k views per video by part 10 (out of at least 75), if I recall correctly. You can probably find it, though. Combined with checking other sources for confirmation it's helpful.

I also play a vocabulary game for practice.

>Which language do you know? Is it another Indian language?

Actually I recently took a break from Tamil to improve in that language, thankfully I've prevented complete loss of fluency in it (being bilingual).

It's basically not Indian, it's a Semitic language that, like Tamil, is not an official language in any entire country/government. If you guess it correctly with one guess, I'll say that's it.

I didn't know the fact about language isolates. That's interesting.

You could make a better map by blowing up a paint factory.

The resources argument is not a real argument tho. They all have plenty of textbooks, media, movies, music, books, etc. It's not like you're going to learn the language faster if you have 1000 textbooks for beginners.

Yiddish?

You'll have an easier time finding books and movies, and guides when you don't know what to study next.

It's not the 19th century. It took me a minute to find torrents with seeders for language packs full of textbooks for Slovak and Slovenian. Music and movies and books are everywhere on the Internet.

Alright dude, I meant courses like Duolingo, Memrise, actual good Anki decks etc.

Do you have a slavic language you find most interesting? Serbian sounds very similar to Bulgarian

No, but it's been compared to Yiddish. I imagine Yiddish sounds like it too.

Serbians sounds too easy.
I'm thinking of Polish.

In at least Dutch and Swedish is the reason as well. "What" (wat, vad) refers to a thing or idea, and not a way or idea.

*way or method

A good way to practice: Touch the roof of your mouth lightly with your tongue, keep it there, and just exhale without moving your lips. This will get your mouth used to the movements.

Icelandic, pronunciation still freaks me out because doubled letters (consonants to be specific) sound completely different from how you assume they sound

also, burgers and brits and aussies, how the fuck do I learn to use articles properly? i'm already almost fluent and shit, but still have that nasty feeling that i'm either overusing or missing the damn a's and the's

okay, this might sound stupid, but try to do this:
1. make sound similar to cat's purring
2. then voice it
because immitating cat's purring is the only thing i can think of that makes your tongue vibrate (?) like when you roll your R, but it's silent, so you just need to make it voiced

It's hard to explain. I would say articles are probably one of the most difficult parts of English. If I were you, I wouldn't study them. Just get used to them naturally by reading lots of sentences.

Polish is pretty cool, good luck user

Hmm, Syriac?

does anyone else feel like they will always sound like an autistic robot in their target languages?

Do you mean accent? or just general autismo

I hate that I can't be as witty or funny in my target language

Either I just don't have the vocab for it, or it takes too long to put a sentence together that the moment is gone

> say what you want in target language in your head
> amazing pronunciation, perfect grammar, charismatic and confident voice
>
> now try to say it aloud
>> sound like an autistic robot

i'm lightly dyslexic when it comes to speaking (even in my native language), but i reee every time i can't say things i'm able to say in my thoughts

general autismo

even if i perfected my accent my word choice etc. would still be autismo

pic related

>say something
>think you sound absolutely perfect
>await astonished impressed looks from the natives
>they give you a weird, amused look

what's your target language?
if it's French, I guess they'd just hate anyone who isn't C1488 in their language

lol yep

why are their standards so high anyway?

They never lost a war.

how are bulgarians towards foreigners speaking their language?

I once said something to a nepalese girl that my friend taught me (it was literally as easy as "my name is ___ " and she gave me a bewildered look like I was god or something

I don't think anyone would give condescending looks or be super impressed or something. I think the first impression would be pic related.

not bulgarian, but
if you try to say something in Russian, even as easy as what you mentioned:
> girls saying "haha, user, you have such a cute accent! that's a hard language to learn, do you want me to teach you some phrases?"
> "can you say ? say RRRRRRR"
> both girls and guys: "hey user, do you want to learn some swearings? i'd teach ye how to curse like a native speaker"
> "i didn't know foreigners learn russian too! man that's cool"
and so on
basically your friends asking you to repeat some shit (be careful, they can teach you swearwords saying these are usual words) and saying you have a funny accent (that's not considered rude or insulting)
But this applies only if you have english accent, any muslim-tier (aka people from -stan's) accent is annoying as fuck for locals. so if you're not a paki, you'd have grills and maybe make some good friends

look at this asian dude speaking perfect bulgarian
youtube.com/watch?v=Cas8k_DT3BE

>gypsy woman can't resist to chew on sunflower seeds even on camera

Is duolingo good? It seems people hate it for some reason but it works fine. I've learned a lot from it, and it seems to be correct on everything.

>Not linking Antimoon or AJATT
antimoon.com/
alljapaneseallthetime.com/blog/all-japanese-all-the-time-ajatt-how-to-learn-japanese-on-your-own-having-fun-and-to-fluency/

youtube.com/watch?v=ikm_gL7-mZs

Depends on the language. The Norwegian, German and Turkish courses for example are regarded as very very good. Then you have Swahili, Vietnamese and Japanese which are terrible. The ones in between are okay. The biggest issue is that the sentences are pretty useless.

Try Lingvist if it has your language. It's much better

it's fine. very good way to start from nothing but won't get you really far

For European language it's really good actually. Just make sure that you take the sentences they give you and put them into ANKI.

Also, make sure you immerse in your target language. Watch {Target language} youtube videos and just try and get your listening up.

People who have taken the French course say that they can read Wiki articles in French. So i'd say that is pretty good.

How to bring my Spanish up to fluency? I'm high-intermediate right now, understand almost everything when reading, about 65-80% listening. Haven't studied in a year though. I find grammar studies painfully boring and I'm still burned out from high school Spanish but I don't want to forget the language.

Huh I think the Vietnamese course is decent, although it's formal as fuck (same as most other courses I think) and the choice of vocabulary wasn't the best.

Compared to the other courses I mean. There's no audio.

What people forget is that Duolingo should never be used by itself

I mostly used it to keep my vocab up to speed and even then I use Memrise as well

Okay I've taken these suggestions under advisement but my self assessment is that I sound like I'm choking on several dicks while having a seizure.

It's 12:30AM in Australia so it ain't happening now, but I might upload a Vocaroo tomorrow in hopes of further advice.

I feel like I'm doing that one correctly but I wouldn't be surprised if I sound like a retard to a native speaker.

>any muslim-tier (aka people from -stan's) accent is annoying as fuck for locals

Pretty sure sand-nigger accents are annoying as fuck for everyone.

French.

I bought a big book of french poems and can't wait to translate each one. It's really cool. I've never had an appreciation for poetry before, and I think I wouldn't have if I hadn't tried learning french. I can't wait until I can read full books in french. I want to read french philosophy pretty badly.

Also all of this looking into french literature has got me interested in english literature again. I think I might read some shakespeare or maybe wilde. Who knows. It's all very exciting.

>to translate each one
wrong.
If you wanna learn French, you have to understand the poems not to translate them

Has the meme "China will be the next global superpower, I started learning Mandarin" ended?

kinda

Latin and German right now.
My German's okay for a beginner, but my Latin learning is essentially just memorizing paradigms.
Anyone else learning the language here?

M8 stop using Flashcards. Learn vocab in the context of sentences. And use Anki. Even if you don't want to remember something using Anki, it's hard to NOT remember it.

Anki literally just stabs shit into your brain, i don't even know why it works, but it does.

DUoLingo
Russian
French

I am thinking about whether to learn turkish later on or not.

Yeah I did some Japanese Anki a few days ago because I was curious, I've never studied Japanese before nor do I plan to continue, but today those words I learned keep popping up in my mind.

Anyway how would you guys suggest studying a language if you only have an hour a day? I normally just do grammar practice from a book, but I feel it's not efficient. Anki is only like 10 minutes a day

I'll only translate the words I do not know, then I'll read the poems again and again. So far I'm loving french poetry, and I can feel the wheels turning in my head when I read and re-read stanzas again and again. I can feel my literacy developing.

Any Korean fellaz here???

So I can read German around c1 level but I speak at a2 at best. No one I know speaks German and no one is learning either. Given that I'm a turbo poorfag who'd never have the chance to visit Europe this isn't a huge issue but I want to improve. Is talking to myself out loud fine? What bothers me about this is that I have no means to correct my pronunciation/accent. Sure, I listen to audiobooks and watch videos in German to try and beef up my listening which may in some sense help with my pronunciation/accent problems but I can't help but feel I'm missing an integral part of language learning.

Minimal question, mostly venting. Anyone else have similar issues? It seems as if most learning methods/courses emphasize reading to the detriment of the other language skills.

it's not like you wouldn't have an abundance of way to get some speaking exercise over the internet

I only know interpals but that's just tinder international edition. What other options are there?

Tandem is awesome. I signed up and immediately started getting people to talk to.

You can also try HelloTalk but Tandem is better because there are no paywalls

Want to learn Italian because muh heritage.

Want to learn Chinese because it is so exotic.

Want to learn Russian because Central Asia history.

Want to learn Turkish because logical and agglutinative..

Want to learn German because i don't trust Germans.

Being an anglo fucking sucks.

Thanks, user. Tandem sounds best with no paywall so I'll look into that first.

iktf user
I keep getting wanderlust and wanting to learn new langs.

Have you considered Korean? It's got that exoticness + asian history + agglutinative. Also the alphabet is easy as piss and there's a ton of media.

but maybe you should start with italian as it's your heritage.

worthy of learning
>English (UK)
>Spanish (Spain)
>French
>German
>Mandarin
>Japanese
>Russian
>Lojban
>Lisp
>Erlang
>Elixir

>>English (UK)
fuck off

just pick one lad! german is the easiest

American dialect is Ir*sh farmer junk.

>tfw gf wants me to learn russian for her and drop spanish

>tfw scared of russian because of how hard it is

Spanish is so comfy for me I'm over the beginner rump

You can learn both. Use Lingvist and Duolingo for Russian. Since you have a Russian speaker to help you, it won't be so bad as self studying.

>scared of russian because of how hard it is
Russians like to pretend their language is some unreachable mountain peak or some shit like that. Don't listen to them. It's an Indo-European language, it won't take you more time to learn than for example Spanish. And since you have someone to practise with it's gonna be super easy.

Also your gf sounds like a bitch if she's actually insisting on something like that.

>not wanting a russian domme to culturally dominate you

I've learned the alphabet but as the user said before the Pimsleur completely fucked me up. I do lingvist and a bit of book study. have I been doing Spanish wrong?

O-okay I'll give it a go.
I'm not sure man, at least for Spanish a lot of the words are similar to English and it has the same alphabet pretty much.

She's not a bitch or anything lol, just wants me to appreciate her culture more. And she's quite fiery I-I better do what she says.