When the most powerful country on earth does the pic related

>when the most powerful country on earth does the pic related

I fear for humanity

20 / 5(4) or 20/5 * 4?

you mean (20/5)/4 you dumb gypsy?

not even joking i didnt even learn the proper order of operations until i was like 17. if you asked me five years ago to solve that problem i would have said 1

What the actual fuck?

wait isnt it 8

what

20/5 = 4
2*2 = 4
you multiple them

multiply*

This picture is photoshopped.

>what are operations hierarchy?
()>[]>{}
Lrn 2 simple arithmetics m8

the answer is 16

20/20 = 1.

wrong!

you're the smart one, you should know

Sorry Trump, it is not wrong this time.

2bh for the former I'd say 1 but for the latter I'd say 16, even though they both meaning the same thing.

is this fake?
how is getting 1 the '""old way""
wtf?

>but for the latter I'd say 16
Then you're an idiot.

5(4)

or

5x4

>is this fake?
Yes

having power doesn't mean you country isn't a fucking mess.
Look at the chinks.

this

You see, kid, you do them left to right. So it's (20/5)*4. Don't sweat it, you learn arithmetics someday too.

People used to count multiplications before divisions, and as a result of this way you get 1.
However the problem with the picture is that they say that both ways are equally correct, which is objectively wrong since multiplications and divisions are really just different forms of the same thing, so there is no reason to favor one over the other.

Why americans don't use that notation (ex. 37/8) but instead they use this kind of notation 4⅝ ?

Erase that name immediately.

Before you go around calling people idiots, perhaps you should learn how basic maths works. A division symbol does not imply a fraction where anything to the left of the symbol is the numerator and anything to the right of the symbol is the denominator. The "slash" division symbol fulfills the same purpose as the obelus division symbol, in which case the equation comes down to a simple order of operations problem with an answer of 16.

I'm Jewish though

It is not

8? what do you need 2 for?

there's no way this is real

16 would have been the correct answer if it was: (20/5)(2*2)

20/5(2*2)
20/5(4)
20/5*4
5*4

How I learned it

you're especially a fucktard

BURGER EDUCATION

>20/5(2*2)
>20/5(4)
>20/5*4
>4*4
>16

Oops made a little mistake

You first do calculations in paranthesis
Then start from most left and do multiplications and divisions through the right in order
Then go back to most left and do summations and substractions
Answer is 16. Claiming otherwise is reading cucks as suckcs and defending its true because they are the same letters with different distribution
Is it that hard?

This is the photoshopped one

I don't get people gloating about this.
The way you write the numbers doesn't matter as long as it's consistent and doesn't lead to errors.
All that matters is having a convention and sticking to it.
If one convention is easier to learn according to experts there is no reason not to study using it.
The common core way looks like the way computers calculate expressions, it's a good idea for children to learn it this way.

20/5(2*2)
20/10*10
2*10

>when the most powerful country on earth does things that completely don't matter
ftfy

It's photoshopped you dips.

There is difference between 20/5(2×2) and 20÷5(2×2)
First one equals 1, second one equals 16

>when the "47 genders" crowd is in charge of public education