Language Learning - /lang/

>What language are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Find people to train your language with!

>Language learning resources:
4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Sup Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

duolingo.com/
>Duolingo is a free language-learning platform that includes a language-learning website and app, as well as a digital language proficiency assessment exam. Duolingo offers all its language courses free of charge.

>Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30+ languages.

drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk#
>Google Drive folder with books for all kinds of languages.

fsi-languages.yojik.eu/languages/oldfsi/index.html
>Drill based courses with text and audio.The Foreign Service Institute (FSI) is the United States federal government's primary training institution for employees of the U.S. foreign affairs community.These courses are all in public domain and free to download.Site may go down sometimes but you can search for fsi on google and easily find a mirror.

memrise.com/
>Free resource to learn vocabulary, nice flash cards.

lingvist.com/
>It's kinda like Clozemaster in the sense that you get a sentence and have to fill in the missing word, also has nice statistics about your progress, grammar tips and more information about a word (noun gender, verb aspects for Russian, etc.)

ankisrs.net/
>A flash card program

clozemaster.com/languages
>Clozemaster is language learning gamification through mass exposure to vocabulary in context.Can be a great supplementary tool, not recommended for absolute beginners.

tatoeba.org/eng/
>Tatoeba is a collection of sentences and translations with over 300 hundred languages to chose from.

radio.garden/
>Listen to radio all around the world through an interactive globe

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/ZrY22qe0
youtube.com/watch?v=B8Hs3ktQXao
mega.nz/#!jE0VwBaD!GFh-a4P41CcXodXiE2gBfOORHk5PsNVgB1sbgUjl4d0
mega.nz/#!Dc9kgQzQ!go7cEDqCm8HgCervvdFMzPl7sSggp3eHNzJh5O8KqLU
youtube.com/watch?v=fkMg_X9lHMc
youtube.com/watch?v=9Ocyk0OgyWY
youtube.com/watch?v=0QGfnLIxXXs
youtube.com/watch?v=FWmfLrhYF_E
weeklylanguage.com
youtube.com/watch?v=gFlXVX2af_Y
t.me/joinchat/AAAAAEP62geM2ndWNjOq4g
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>link to Telegram group

about a2 i think

Did you use Turkish Tea Time podcast?

Hello. I want to learn Spanish. I've been using Duolingo and then I stole Pimsleur. My problem is time, I only have the end of the day when I'm exhausted.

What are some reasonable goals I can set for myself?

yeah only the few free ones though

Post your charts /lang/

Nice, thank you lads.

so what if it's not shaded at all

what does that mean

qué significa eso

I wanna learn Russian and Arabic

It means I might want to learn it in the future

So, how does Anki work? Do you need to download custom card decks?

Original Russian Sup Forums chart creator here. I can create a Vietnamese one if you guys like, I would like to fill out the other languages in due time, but I obviously can only make charts for languages I'm learning or have learned. If I see other people making charts (as Turkbro did in previous thread), then I'll make a Viet chart.

He said he used Paint, I personally used an online flowchart creator. It looked like something Google would've made. It was pretty simple to use. Also, if I was going to add one thing to this Russian chart, it would be Lingvist - which compliments Duolingo very well.

Italiano, and now I'm trying to learn some cyrillic as fast as I can because I'm going to Belarus

What languages do you know/learning?

I am fluent in English. I am intermediate in Spanish and Russian. I am a beginner level in Viet. I am self-taught for all but Spanish, I took that for 4 years in school.

Hocитeль языкa хepe. Boт тeбe cтpecc-тecт нa вшивocть твoих пoзнaний:

a нy-кa, дpyжoк ты мoй любeзный, paccкaжи, пoчeмy нe пpoчёл дo cих пop Гpaд Oбpeчeнный AБCoвcкий.

A eщe paccкaжи-кa, кaк пpaвильнee пepeвecти "paмcы пoпyтaл" нa инглиш

>intermediate in Russian
NERERMIND

Pls make a Vietnamese chart

Why did you start learning the language?

Gf's family, southern accent. I'll make a chart if I see some others made.
Nice try. I'll have that much down by Christmas.

don't listen to this poor sod's recommendations. You are seriously rather better server just watching familiar movied, dubbed in Russian with russian subtitles enabled.

>server just watching familiar movied
served by just watching familiar movies

yeah movies do a really good job teaching tenses and aspect thx

pastebin.com/ZrY22qe0
>more resources

You're probably having problems with the intonation. Try listening while paying attention to that, and just practice. I found this vid that talks about it:
youtube.com/watch?v=B8Hs3ktQXao

And I don't know if you're talking with an American r, but that will definitely make you sound retarded. If you want to post a recording I can check if I notice something else.

Are you still here? I could upload all of it for you if you want.

So is it 600 hours to fluent? So if I want to learn Spanish from scratch, I should figure about two years to be fluent if I practice for about an hour a day? (I realize it's less for 600 hours, but figuring some fiddle room in there)

Does Duolingo teach grammar concepts?

Yes. The website that is.

Thank you.

Thanks Rusbro it'd be really useful if I had someone to talk to in Russian or at least explain some of the confusing shit to me. The cases are killing me.

Gonna upload both Turkish Teatime podcast and TurkishClass101, get them while it's hot. I'll delete it probably in the coming days.
(in a few hours it will be uploaded)

>mom is Italian
>spent many summers in Italy
>understand ~90% spoken Italian
>terrible at speaking myself
>no grammar knowledge

How do I become fluent? I was thinking of just moving there for a while, assume that would work well but what can I do on my own? I can understand words but not think of the same ones when I wanna speak myself

mega.nz/#!jE0VwBaD!GFh-a4P41CcXodXiE2gBfOORHk5PsNVgB1sbgUjl4d0

Turkish Teatime Podcast

Watch italian media and really focus. Find italians to speak to. You could even ask mama.

mega.nz/#!Dc9kgQzQ!go7cEDqCm8HgCervvdFMzPl7sSggp3eHNzJh5O8KqLU

Turkish Class 101 podcast

Links will be probably dead in a couple of days so feel free to post them in the coming threads.

I'm thinking about giving German a go. Typical anglo problem in that i can't stick to a language but i've never tried German.

Buy a grammar book and speak more.

What do you think of Esperanto, /lang/?

Useless as fuck, only for people who are too afraid to learn a real language.

I took classes in Latin and Spanish years ago and hated both. I thought I had forgotten everything about both languages but now that I am teaching myself Portuguese(which I am loving so far and am showing actual interest) some of the shit I learned a long time ago is coming back to me and is helping me with some of these Portuguese words/phrases.

>Useless
Everything apart from English could be called useless.

Come on, a conlang is really useless.
Tell me how Interslav Lobjan and Folkspraak are doing.

Again with that word. If we go with the practicality (usefulness) logic, nobody should learn anything apart from English (or even that).

any romance language would provide the same advantage and also be more useful

esperanto is a meme

I'm having a hard time finding media I like in German. At least with Spanish I had 20 other countries to pick if I didn't like one, and even with French and Russian I've managed to find music I like. Apart from a few German bands it seems most Germans like to listen to English music.

I spent a lot of time searching for bearable German music

youtube.com/watch?v=fkMg_X9lHMc
youtube.com/watch?v=9Ocyk0OgyWY
youtube.com/watch?v=0QGfnLIxXXs

Also Rammstein is not bad at all, I find some of their lyrics quite poetic
youtube.com/watch?v=FWmfLrhYF_E

Nah that's just to get to a proficient level. You actually need to spend time using the language of you want to have near native level fluency.

Trying to perfect my accent in Indonesian. Any tips?

Look up for music with more vocal like HipHop (like Fettes Brot, Blumentopf, etc.) or solo songwriter (eg. Götz Widmann, Rainald Grebe...)

how do I deal with the fact that spoken French is undecipherable?

do you cunts even know what you're saying?

Try watching movies with French subtitles. Then as time passes you start learning all the things they do in spoken language. Like how they say things like "i'm'l'ont pas dit" but then the subtitles say "elles ne me l'ont pas dit" ('they didn't tell me').

日本語

This French sounds like a continuous stream. No breakage in words. Let alone ignoring 90% of consonant and just leaving e u ou oi sounds.

HELP I am traveling to France in 10 days and I need to brush up on my High School French, any good programs I could use? is Duolingo the best?

None because languages barely come in handy when one has absolutely no friends to talk to.

try and make some then

I have the same problem..

I like memrise better 2bh, but I've been using it for months not 10 days.

How are your studies going btw, started to watch media by now?

Hey /lang/ I used to write a blog on language resources, but stopped due to lack of time. It's basically massive lists of all resources on these languages (reading/listening/tv/courses/etc):

Arabic
Finnish
French
German
Hindi
Hungarian
Icelandic
Italian
Japanese
Korean
Persian
Polish
Portuguese
Russian
Spanish

weeklylanguage.com

I kind of want to start it up again but there must be a more efficient format than just listing all recourses available. Any tips?

Your site looks good desu, I don't think there is anything other than posting resources one should do imo, unless you had experience with learning that language that is then you may give pointers and other stuff to help in the process of learning that language.

Start off small, like 15-20 minutes a day, but everyday. At this point keeping consistent is the important thing and just add on time to revise old info as you go, alongside learning new things (which tends to be the exhausting part)

Hey man, I'm kind of similar.

You have to look for smaller chunks of time spread out throughout your day, rather than on large chunk after work.

Whether it's when community to work, standing a queue, or whatever, you could listen to Pimsleur or do a bit of Duolingo for 5 minutes. That adds up.

Proficient. I read somewhere that every hour also includes like 2-3 hours of self-study (since those given hours are class hours).

My aunt is in some "esperanto club" or something but the effort probably isn't worth it.

Hey Deutsch-bro,

Can you tell me what level of understanding a native speaker would have if someone did not include the reflexive pronoun in a sentence?

Aside from a few instances, they are very hard to translate into a natural sense, and I worry that I will forget when to include them.

For example:
Wir waschen uns die Hände mit Seife.

If I said 'Wir waschen die Hände mit Seife", would that imply I'm washing non-corporeal hands with soap?

where did English go so wrong?
>all of the most common verbs describing basic human actions like eating, speaking, writing etc. are completely irregular
>every vowel makes like 20 different sounds
>two instances of the same letter can make different sounds within the same word
>every "rule" is broken more often than it ever applies
The more I learn about other languages the more sympathy I have for people who need to learn English as a second language

It was probably more regular before it got raped by French

English is so irregular that it would be better to learn it through context and sentences rather than learning the actual rules.

Thanks for the advice, i am going to apply what you said

Thanks, user! Will do!

Perchè stai studiando l'italiano?

>You have to look for smaller chunks of time spread out throughout your day, rather than on large chunk after work.
>Whether it's when community to work, standing a queue, or whatever, you could listen to Pimsleur or do a bit of Duolingo for 5 minutes. That adds up.
Thank you. What I'm thinking of doing is 10min at lunch (I take a really short lunch break), then the rest at night, then maybe some more on the weekends.

Oh shit, so it's more like 1800 hours? Yikes. Oh well, better get moving. I might keep a bit of a log. I track my weight every day, might as well track my study hours too.

>weeklylanguage.com
just correct this: Come stai? / Come state? (polite)
into this: Come stai? / Come sta? (polite)

I think I will start doing this from the beginner.Starting from now, saved the picture.
thank you man for making this

Hello /lang/ new around here
Is Duolingo enough to get the basics of a language before hopping on proper courses?

What language you had in mind?

German
I'm pretty good in English and know some Latin from high school, so I shouldn't have a hard time

Seems like the general suggestion is to try a bunch of stuff and see what works for you. No one tool covers it all. That said, could certainly start with Duolingo.

Together with Memrise it's a good place to start

Further on Lingvist and Clozemaster are really good for more "realistic" or more natural sentences so you can learn things in context.

I especially like Lingvist's grammar explanations

How's lingvist for Russian, do you know?

I've just been using duolingo and memrise but all I've really learned is vowels and verbs I can't really construct a sentence longer than three words yet.

How is Memrise different than Duolingo?

I see it can be used offline, which is nice because I'm on airplanes a lot and too cheap to pay for the wifi.

What are some good resources for Polish?

>English is so irregular

Duolingo's sentences can be a bit too simplistic so I mostly just use them like vocab flashcards

Memrise throws in a few sentences per "level" (not sure if it's in all courses) that give you a better glimpse of grammar structures. They also have have clips on the browser version where natives read them out.

As far as I've seen though (I'm doing German 7) Memrise doesn't seem to have a place that explains grammar at all? Duolingo at least does that in the browser version

What about Pimsleur? I stole that but haven't tinkered with it yet. I remember trying Rosetta Stone when I was younger and not having much success from it, but perhaps that was my motivation and not the software.

Honestly, just find a native speaker to practice with, Duolingo is a joke that is pushed mostly by retarded americans learning their first languages having absolutely no clue about linguistics in general.

Any tips for French? I use Duolingo but it's really simplistic. I want something to help me get used to how the language sounds.

Watch the movie Raw and other French films:
youtube.com/watch?v=gFlXVX2af_Y

Seems like movies, radio and tv would be a great way to learn how a langauge sounds.

I haven't tried it yet but a couple of anons in the previous threads have recommended it for Russian, but it's one of the newer courses on Lingvist so there's still improvement going on

I haven't tried it sorry. I'm more of a visual learner so I never looked into using it.

I've looked through some reviews for you though and it's not a bad start to practice listening and speaking. Learning to speak under pressure is plenty handy, as with all languages, but especially with German

Wouldn't rely on it as the only tool though (as with any language learning tool really)

Thanks. I'll watch that.

Also check out Blue is the Warmest Color and Améile. You might want to make a thread on Sup Forums asking for more recs in French. I'm not a regular there but, caught at the right time, Sup Forums has helped me find some nice things to watch.

The faggot mods on Sup Forums will often just delete requests and tell you to fuck off to /r/

I've made threads that have lasted asking for recommendations of movies covering specific topics or genres and they've been fine with it. It's such a shitpost board that any reasonable attempt at a decent thread the mods seem to keep.

I've watched Blue is the Warmest Color. Such a garbage movie. I'll make sure to watch Amelie.

Reminder: Those who cannot speak Gaeilge will be executed once President Adams ascends to the Throne of the Union of the Irish Republic and the European Dependencies.

Has duolingo changed something?

not really
you can speak to locals, read literature, consume media
with stupid useless conlangs you can't do that even

Hello again /lang/,

I'm from a Telegram community learning languages. Mostly it's Sup Forums related shitposting but we try to keep a focus on languages. If you'd like to join, here's the link:

t.me/joinchat/AAAAAEP62geM2ndWNjOq4g

I speak 4 languages. Ask me anything,