Why is this show so popular all of a sudden?

Why is this show so popular all of a sudden?

>filename

good taste brosef

wasnt it always?

People in general are retreating to things they enjoyed during their childhood/development in response to reality being a progressively worsening nightmare.

inb4 trumpfags Shit started at least 10 years ago

Because the 90s were the pinnacle of Western civilization.

The Machines were right.

couldve just said nostalgia but thats cool too.

Pretty much this. Daria represented the coming-of-age of the very last -- seriously, the very last, there will never be one again -- generation not completely overtaken by social media and the hyper-leftism that's shoved in our faces on a daily basis from the moment we burst from the womb.

Daria Restoration Project for those interested:

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:2ad5e2c91cabad928d0ac7fdd579eea63bb33b50&dn=Daria%20Restoration%20Project%20(TV%20Complete)&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.opentrackr.org%3a1337&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.coppersurfer.tk%3a6969&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.zer0day.to%3a1337&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.leechers-paradise.org%3a6969

I forgot to add that it was also the last one before irony became a meme unto itself

I've been watching these.
While I do very much appreciate having the original music, I wish someone who was better at mixing audio had done this...I'm guessing that they had to copy the music/dialogue off of VHS recordings(?) which would explain the shitty quality of some(most) of them, but the volume keeps jumping all over the fucking place with really hard obvious cuts where the new music can often be then be heard. One episode(so far) only had the left channel.

I think I'd prefer just having them use the VHS audio all the way through to this, with a few exceptions where the audio is so bad that maybe finding the actual songs and adding them in would have done the trick.. I don't think that would have been much more work.. might even have been less.

What show? Looks like As Told By Ginger, but that show fucking suck, so I know it can't be it.

I have all the episodes with original audio which I downloaded 8 years ago. I should probably put it up somewhere.

ask your mom

SJW relate to hating the world and self-insert into the young character that is clearly too smart.

Is it?

Kill yourself faggot, there's more to it than that.

You really should.
I think I downloaded the same like 10 years ago.. which means its frozen forever in one of my many dead bricked external drives.

honestly, the audio on a few of the "restored" songs is so fucking bad you cant even tell what the fuck it is... not sure why they even bothered.

get out of this thread you piece of shit

the episodes became free on youtube

Hulu

I dunno user, watching Daria as a kid she seems like a super cool and smart person but rewatching as an adult you realise that she's actually kind of an arrogant know-it-all who constantly fucks up her own life and the lives of the people around her due to her overconfidence and naivety

You can switch out 'dunno' to 'agree', and your sentence is the same.

A lot of people kind of forgot about it between 2002-2010 due to it not being available on DVD

Where is it popular again? I never see anyone talk about it.

It's still coat-tailing off Beavis and Butthead.

Not him, but the tumblr girls don't see it that way, because they don't watch the show. They just like to imagine themselves as being smart and cool like Daria

>she's actually kind of an arrogant know-it-all who constantly fucks up her own life and the lives of the people around her due to her overconfidence and naivety

give 3 examples of this.
..and not from the later shitty seasons when she got a boyfriend..

>Le quirky alternate humour xdddd so randumb

i think youre under estimating the meaning of nostalgia. seeing things thru rose colored glasses often has a lot to do with the current state of affairs seeming less than appealing. what you remember from the past is often times not even that great but you associate it with the time in which you enjoyed it. so yeah... nostalgia.

mtv has been decent in the last few years about rebroadcasting lots of their older and more favorably remembered material. i remember them showing some daria about 2 years ago for a month or so. obviously not a regular thing but they still rehash the oldies from time to time.

You're a fucking idiot.

To be fair it's a lot more pronounced in the later seasons once Tom is introduced but even before that she repeatedly pissed off and alienated her friends and family with her snarkiness and manipulative tendencies, not to mention it prevented her from forming any sort of real relationship with Ted or Trent

>seeing things thru rose colored glasses

before 2008 I wasn't in constant contact and subject to a constant feed of opinions from literal drooling retards who couldn't find a dip swith with both hands and a flashlight.

There hasn't been a remotely decent year in film since 2007.

there's nothing "rose-tinted" about this shit now. Social media and mass media's response to it is objectively horrid and times were objectively better 10 or 17 years ago.

Yeah, it's kind of ironic to be nostalgic for the time period of Daria considering the show was initially mostly just a satire of how vapid and shitty turn of the millennium American culture was

>mfw user is angry someone doesn't agree that millennials invented the concept of being nostalgic for your childhood

It's pretty much what the republican party/conservatism was founded on.

>Conservatism
>a political philosophy based on tradition and social stability, stressing established institutions, and preferring gradual development to abrupt change
>the tendency to prefer an existing or traditional situation to change

Conservatives: Wow guys, things sure where better back in the day. Remember?
>Previoiusly, back in that "better day"
Conservatives: Wow guys, things sure where better back in the day. Remember?
>Even further previously, further back in that "even better day"
Conservatives: Wow guys, things sure where better back in the day.

ad infinitum

>millennials invented the concept of being nostalgic for your childhood

Well that's the dumbest thing I've read in a month.

Good job.

All that's changed between now and previous generations is corporate entities are better at capitalizing on nostalgia.

>millennials invented the concept of being nostalgic for your childhood.
That might be the stupidest thing i've ever seen written on Sup Forums.

Let me guess, you were arrested in a Trump protest but didn't vote for Hillary let alone anyone.

You both realize I was referring to this conversation right?

Beavis and Butthead is better

Clearly you're too young to remember all the middle aged former hippie baby boomers who now had corporate jobs in the 90's trying to sell nostalgia for the flower power generation via things like Austin Powers, Dazed and Confused and the new Volkswagen Beetle

Yeah, you're still just completely off base with the argument you're making. I'm not out to ruin your day but what you said was just fucked.

>claim millennials invented childhood nostalgia
>cite previous generations selling nostalgia

>implying I'm the retard that thinks millennials invented childhood nostalgia

What I'm saying is that businesses have been extremely good at capitalising on nostalgia for centuries, it's definitely not a new phenomenon

And all previous forrays into nostalgia mining are kinda dwarfed by financial juggernaut that is "geek culture."

They're selling nostalgia to 18 year olds already.

Remember when girls started wearing bell bottoms again? But the "bells" were covered in crazy colorful stitching or had wacky fabric patched in? I think it only lasted like half a year.

Oh please. Try your very best to ruin my day by backing up your accusation with a coherent argument. If you do a good job I might even bother to read and reply to it.

Not the guy you replied to, but I'm the guy you're misunderstanding in the first part.

You know what I'm nostalgic for? Reading comprehension and critical thinking skills.

These idiots/this idiot thinks millennials invented nostalgia. Either that or they have no fucking idea what the word "nostalgia" means.

They sold 60s nostalgia to grade school kids in the 90s.

I really don't see anything being "dwarfed" as you claim.. it seems like the same old shit.

But of course.. I was actually alive back then.

... how exactly is a 90s gradeschooler nostalgic for the 60s? Are you just stupid?

The point being made is people are retreating to THEIR OWN childhood in response to reality being a nightmare, not idealized versions of other people's childhoods. Nostalgia for [your childhood] is being marketed to 18 year olds these days.

>You know what I'm nostalgic for? Reading comprehension and critical thinking skills.
perhaps you should check your own user.

You're getting your stuff a bit backwards. I said I was not out to ruin your day. Read back at the other posts you are speaking against as well.

The less that is said about the vaguely hippie-inspired fashions of the turn of the millennium the better

>i'm not the guy who said millenials invented nostalgia
>its the other guys who never mentioned anything remotely close to the idea that millenials invented nostalgia who said that

... are you off your meds or something?

18 year old are still pretty much kids though. It's not nostalgia, its still just your life at that point. You can't be "nostalgic" for shit that happened yesterday.

And you really think corporations are selling nostalgia because "reality is a nightmare"?
You don't think its just because they suck at coming up with new ideas because doing the same thing over and over again is cheaper?

>user is angry someone doesn't agree that millennials invented the concept of being nostalgic for your childhood

angry user =
someone =

this user basically just gave the definition of nostalgia as if it were a brand new thing, and then said it started happening "at least 10 years ago"
IN OTHER WORDS, he thinks that "milennials invented the concept of being nostalgic for your childhood"
When this user pointed out that he's just talking about regular ol nostalgia, these anons got angry

And then everyone replied to me with:
>pic related

negro I said the perpetually worsening nightmare started around ten years ago and was inb4'ing trumpfags who'd take any statement relating reality to a perpetually worsening nightmare as buttflusters clinton supporters.

Then you started talking about millennials thinking they invented nostalgia and cited examples of the 60s being sold to kids in the 90s in response to references to "geek culture," which is selling nostalgia to 18 year olds for things they enjoyed 8 years prior, which most definitely is a new thing.

So, seriously, don't go off your meds.

That's one thing I definitely miss about the late 90s/early 00s: young celebrities were still expected to just smile and look pretty, not be overly opinionated wannabe intellectuals

>which is selling nostalgia to 18 year olds for things they enjoyed 8 years prior, which most definitely is a new thing.

No its not.

Yes, it literally has progressed to that point.

Everybody ITT is retarded
Except the ones who like Daria

Back in 1999 Family Guy was already making nostalgic jokes about the culture that people in their late teens/early twenties had experienced a decade earlier, I'm pretty sure adults of all ages have been nostalgic about their childhoods since the beginning of time

Post examples of this brand new "geek culture" nostalgia craze that is sweeping the nation of 18 year olds by storm.

Examples that are not simply new versions of old things, which is a practice that has been going on since the dawn of time.

What did the 10 year olds 8 years ago like that they are now somehow being sold again today?

If it is a huge deal as you claimed, you should be able to easily post a lot of examples.

Clearly I have been living under a rock... get me back in the loop.

Liquid television/early 2000s MTV was full of animation kino

Then it became reality show cancer we know and hate today

Also broadband internet kinda made TV obsolete

>he thinks 1999 was a long time ago
>he thinks the capitalization on the childhood of children was at the same level then as it is now

what basic part of the current state of reality are you missing?

Pretty sure Is the only poster ITT who has said that they didn't like Daria

Remember when the only reality shows on MTV were Real World and Road Rules?

> all of a sudden

It's been the go to for "Im so different" tumblr types, generally female since it aired.

I remember when nirvana was hot shit m8

And my boys alice in chains being overshadowed by cobain hack

It was not a good decade desu

thanks for the fuck

the first iron man movie came out in 2008. That's a pretty big one.

Harry potter is also a big product here.

Then you've got the pokemans and video games in general.

"geek culture" is all about maintaining in a person, permanent state of childhood by feeding people's corporate dictated childhood back to them forever.

Blame the early 2000s economic recession for the rise of reality tv, tv studios simply couldn't afford to produce big budget tv shows when they could record a reality show for 10% of the price and still get good ratings

TV and its sequel web 2.0 are really gonna be remembered alongside lead water pipes in rome by glorious supermen of tomorrow

has more to do with the internet and video games eating into the captive television market than any sort of recession.

Also there's still easily enough money for big budget productions, just television is notoriously bad at managing money in said cases (friends is still the highest budgeted TV show in history, a fucking single camera goddamn fucking sit-fucking-com) and reality TV costs pennies compared to literally any other format.

>the first iron man movie came out in 2008. That's a pretty big one.

So what? Home Alone came out when I was 8, and was huge and people still talk about it.
So did the first Ninja Turtles movie.

>Harry potter is also a big product here.
RL Stein.. ever heard of Goosebumps?
I was a member of the club and got a ton of them every month.

>Then you've got the pokemans and video games in general.
I got a NES when I was about 8.. guess who still plays Zelda and Mario?

>"geek culture" is all about maintaining in a person, permanent state of childhood by feeding people's corporate dictated childhood back to them forever.

No, that's just the baby boomers.

So you're my age and you're confusing things that aren't being capitalized for geek culture existing to mine people's own childhoods and sell them back to them.

Do you have early onset Alzheimer's or something?

Iron Man, Harry Potter, video games and Pokemon have always been pretty popular with adults and non-geeks as well as children tho, my parents have been reading Harry Potter books and playing Pokemon ever since they were first released

So you're my age and you've forgotten that your whole life from birth up to this point has been a never ending commercial for the same old shit in a shiny new package.

>Do you have early onset Alzheimer's or something?

I'm not the one who forgot my entire childhood and young adulthood.

Are you in a permanent care facility or something? Throw me a bone here. I can't understand how you can be so dense.

viral marketing for the upcoming live action remake

It's really easy to understand actually.
You suck at arguing your point, and the point you are trying to make is fucking stupid.

Do kids today still read Goosebumps? I imagine that they can be painfully dated at times but it would still be a shame if the current generation of kids didn't get to enjoy them too.

And I assume "my point" is "millennials invented nostalgia," right?

>I got a NES when I was about 8.. guess who still plays Zelda and Mario?
this is why i'm glad my father broke my nes when i was little even though i was angry at him for a very long time

do yourself a favor and never go to a book fair. literally the most depressing thing you can imagine.

No, user, you dont understand... the other user is right.. geek culture is a totally brand new thing that the govt'n'shit created to keep us all childlike and docile.. it's a conspiracy.
You don't really like fun movies, and books, and games. Deep down you like doing hard farm work and joining militias and voting for third party candidates and going to church.

Yes, you are correct. Childhood has always lasted until a person was in their 30s, if it ended at all.

They do if their parents scan them onto their iPads.
I guess "the corporations" havn't gotten around to forcing them on us in their evil "geek culture" master plans yet.

I assume your point is on top of your head

No doubt, user. Who knows where you'd be if you had had a less dysfunctional childhood.. good thing you're safe here with the rest of us well adjusted people on Sup Forums.

Didn't people usually die in their 30s a few hundred years ago?

Man.. those were the days....

I look after my kid cousin and my school had a book day, when i went to pick him up i had a quick peruse (basically the kids spent the day in dress up and when the parents come they shill a load of books for parents to buy).

I think almost 50% of the books were about fucking Minecraft, not even exaggerating. Depressing as shit.

I revisited the show recently because it suddenly occurred to me i could find it all online and i probably hadn't seen every episode the first time round on tv. It really is a very neat show and i still found it very funny. Unusually, this time round i actually got the deeper emotional aspects of it too. The art style is great, simple, but its till just pops off the screen very nicely.

>Didn't people usually die in their 30s a few hundred years ago?

Nah, most of those statistics are skewed by a shit ton of children and babies dying. If you managed to survive until puberty, you would live to your 50's.

I think a key difference is that historically young adults got to relive their childhood to a certain extent by having kids of their own and then doing stuff like playing games and watching cartoons with them, the difference is that now a lot of people aren't having kids until they're around 30 but still have the same desire to relive their childhood by playing games and watching cartoons.

nah im glad he did it
i least im not a nintendodrone

Thats kinda like being glad you never lost your virginity because, "at least I don't have AIDS"

Most people who enjoy things manage to remain mature about them and maintain some self control and common sense while they enjoy them.

You sound as if you don't have any respect or faith in yourself.

oh i like mario but only super mario bros and super mario 64
never played any of the zelda games but the first one looks fine
but it sounded as if you only play those games maybe im wrong

I haven't turned my xbox on for 6 months because games are shit now but i've been wanting to go back and play those old s/nes games again. I haven't watched tv for around 3 years either. I don't think there's anything wrong with playing games when you're an adult as long as it's not your life.

aight