Arrival film discussion

>*unintelligable alien babble*
>"I think those are their names"
>"Ok, but what are WE to call them?
>"I know, we'll let reddit decide"
>"Sweet, the left one is Sagan, and the right one is Neil De Grasse!"

Did anyone else leave the theater at this point?

Yeah. I did. Good movie though. I came back. i liked when she fucked the aliens.

No holes barred. Asshole explore w/ tentacles and her asscheeks all spread apart by other tentacles.

A bunch of redditors in my section applauded when the chad looking dude said "Bazinga" but I was like, "ha yeah"

>"What are WE gonna call them?"
>"The left one is Trump the right one is Hillary"
>next day
>"Hillary where is Trump?"
>TRUMP IS DEATH PROCESS

walked the fuck out, I came to be entertained, not preached to.

I LEARNED THEIR LAMGUAMGE I CAN EXPERIENCE FUTURE NOW LMAO

>hurr derr I could see the future and knew you were going to die painfully of cancer but I chose to have you anyway because I wanted to, enjoy dying of that cancer lmao

Good job on missing the point

>hey Jeremy our daughter is gonna die from cancer sorry I didn't tell you before you knocked me up
>enjoy paying that child support until she dies LOMA

I could say the same to you

In my country's translation they dubbed their names as Scarecrow and Tin Woodman, effectively stripping the movie from the only joke about miscommunication there is

There was no choice to make, there was the illusion of choice. She can't change the future, only observe it.

They translated their names to Alien 1 and Alien 2 where I live. Of course Alien 1 is the much better choice.

then why did the aliens come to earth to teach humans the time traveling language to help them in the future (changing the future)?

How can a language let you know the future?
Also she teaches the language to other people, thus ruining their lives aswell, stupid bitch

They probably saw the future and saw they were getting BTFO'd or saw that they were about to get BTFO'd and saw that humans were helping them, prompting then to get the help from the humans in the movies present time. There might be a better way to explain that but I'm dumb.

The aliens saw that humans helped them 3000 years in the future, so knew they had to go teach humans their language

Oh and i'm sure people cared more about what the aliens needed in 3000 years than that fucking kid dying

Makes sense, I guess

P A R A D O X
A
R
A
D
O
X

Imagine being able to see in the future and see you were going to shit yourself uncontrollably one day while driving your car to work, like shit just goes everywhere, in the A/C, on the roof, in your socks, and youre in traffic for another 2 hours until you reach an exit and you cant change the fact that that'll happen, you can only wait.

You kill yourself and change the course of time?

How is it a paradox? The aliens could have seen that they taught humans their language, and them humans were thus able to help them 3000 years later. So they chose to go teach humans their language. It's exactly like how the woman sees she has a child, and then the child dies ~15 (?) years later, but she still chooses to have the child. There's no contradiction unless they make a different choice than what they foresaw in the future but that never happens in the movie.

I'm 32 and have never once shit myself, how the fuck do people shit themselves?

Nice dubs. One time I slightly had to go poop before I left the house and left thinking that I'd just poop when j got back in 15 min. On the way back the shit decided to go full throttle out of my asshole and I had to strain like a madman to suck that fucker back up, was squirming like I had a rat up my ass. Had to pull over to the nearest Taco Bell and unload. The only time in my life where I legit thought I was going to shit myself.

A casual loop is still a paradox senpai

There's nothing intrinsically paradoxical about a causal loop. Us not knowing how it came into being doesn't mean jack shit when we currently don't even know how the universe as a whole came into being and don't know for sure how time works. It could just be one aspect of the universe that was decided when it was created, just like how every other aspect of the universe was decided when it was created. It'd be like saying matter and energy are paradoxical because we don't know where they came from at the start of the universe.

English doc?

What kind of robotic autism colony do you live in?

>character explains a scientific plot point
>"in English, doc?"
>another character explains using an everyday analogy

>mfw their language is actually just ink on glass

The reason why casual loops are paradoxes is because we don't have any knowledge of the characters futures *without* the knowledge.

She is shown a future where she has a daughter, however, the exact sequence of events that lead to the daughter may have been different without that knowledge.

We already have evidence in the movie that casual loops are a thing - the biggest example was the Chinese general, however even the aliens coming to uplift humanity was another casual loop. Information from the future came back and dictated them to teach their language to humans, because humans will help them in return down the line.

Casual loops are inherently paradoxial. They do not need to be entirely contradictory to be paradoxial. The grandfather paradox is not the only temporal paradox.

You're mom was a paradox right after I banged her! LOL

Delete this

The fuck is a casual loop

I think we're arguing about different thing here. You're saying that it doesn't matter if it's contradictory or not, and that a time loop in itself can't come into being. I'm saying it has to at least not be contradictory, and that since we don't know how anything comes into being, we can't say for sure that it's impossible for a time loop to come into being.

Ultimately it doesn't really matter, scientists will solve this shit in a million years when we're all dead anyway.

i don't remember that part lmao

Basically, if you were to travel back in time and begin a series of events, that result in you traveling back in time etc etc etc, that's a casual loop.

Think Terminator - The very attempt on Sarah Conners to try and kill John Conner life results in the birth of John Conner.

The inverse of this is a grandfather paradox, where you go back and do something that PREVENTS the future from occurring (think Back to the Future).

Both are paradoxes because they do not follow a strict worldview of linear time.

>You're saying that it doesn't matter if it's contradictory or not, and that a time loop in itself can't come into being.

That is not at all what I'm saying.

I'm just saying it's a paradox. I mean it's a well known time travel trope that has been used in story telling for decades. Whether or not we understand *how* a casual loop happens, it's still a loop. It doesn't have to be contradictory (Grandfather paradox) or a closed casual loop, they are BOTH temporal paradoxes.

The movie clearly demonstrates multiple closed loop paradoxes that would not be possible without having access to information from the future.

Paradox does not mean "impossible" - it just implies there is a monkey wrench somewhere in here we don't understand.

You mean a causal loop.

fucking apes and their linear understanding

Casual loop = paradox

>That is not at all what I'm saying.

So you're saying you agree a causal loop is possible? If so, then it's the definition of the word paradox that we're disagreeing on.

It happened
It's happening
It will happen

Just let it go. Events are fixed. You can not change the future, nor the past. They will always be. Your limit perception will only see them in a single direction without pause. Do not assume this limited perception is universal.

Of course it's possible. You are just disagreeing with the use of the word paradox, which is something everyone has used for decades when discussing scifi tropes.

>You can not change the future

Really this should be self evident even without having to look at the future.

In a deterministic universe, The only possible future events are ones which emerge from past events. If we know the past with 100% certainty, then we can also extrapolate the future with equal certainty. This knowledge would necessarily include knowledge of our own actions (past and future) and the motivations behind them.

The only real augment against that is quantum uncertainty, and that's even more damning for free will, because it says that everything is completely random, and anything you might want to prevent still ends up happening an infinite amount of times.

Anybody trying to argue for free will is either misunderstanding the question, or lying to themselves because it makes them uncomfortable. The smarter philosophers have known this for a very long time, but it's always bothered weak minded people.

Read it again. Causal. C-A-U causal.

Lol mate we're going to flood the earth within a hundred

If the future can change, it's a paradox that makes no sense

If the future can't change, it's simply fucking stupid and lame, but still possible

In the end, time travel movies are stupid and cheap and suck.

/thread I win

sorry English is not my first language I fuck up words from time to time

forgive me

No

Get the fuck off our board paki

Poopy poopy poo poo

This infuriates me.

The original short story didn't have the bit about needing to give humans a weapon.

It was even more cerebral and eventless.

Every time the heptaploids were asked their purpose for being on earth they would just respond "to observe/to watch"

Okay? Nobody asked.

FUCK YOU ASSHOLE

Abbott is poop process

I shit myself twice in my adult life. Both times after long periods of drinking lots and eating little. Both times when I got punched unexpectedly. Both times completely surrounded by friends. Both times I had to look like a complete coward as I fled from a fight to clean my shit-stained pants.
Both times never got found out. Also redeemed myself by fighting bigger guys plenty of times after, but I'll never ever forget the times I shit my pants and ran.

I once sneezed so hard I went blind for a few seconds and shit myself.

I was miming that last line before he said it

"Im so glad i met you" or whatever

cringe

the whole movie lost its footing as soon as it made humanity the main antagonist.

It was also at least an hour too long

This movie has exactly the same plot Uchikoshi has been recycling in his games since 2002.
Also a lot of scenes dragged out for way too long
Waste of time.

Did Louise get her prescience from breathing the Heptopod's atmosphere?

Is this copypasta?