Japanese Films

There's a big meme on Sup Forums that Japanese films are shit but no one ever gives specifics. Posters never say what films they thought were shit, just that they are all shit.

I would like a threads were discuss the latest JP films and discuss the ones we liked and didn't like.

Because seriously saying all JP are shit is just meme shitposting

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Vnws8ZymxME
youtube.com/watch?v=He0oQJC9pzQ
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shōta
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

What's that one Japanese movie about some cute girl looking for a treasure or something that got praised by everyone a few years back?

>Sup Forums
>just meme shitposting
take both

I just copy pasted your whole comment into google and got the answer, now you try

tbph japs can't act for shit, but their movies have interesting premises and are set in interesting worlds so I watch them all and just try to ignore the acting.

last great one I saw as Flower & Snake: Zero, it's erotic and fucked up
And the last bad one I saw was that really long one Love Exposure which I thought was absolute fucking shit

My favorite japanese movie is definitely Casshern

Kumiko, the Treasure Hunter but it's actually an American film.

>A jaded Japanese woman discovers a hidden copy of Fargo (1996) on VHS, believing it to be a treasure map indicating the location of a large case of money.

lmao, gotta see this

Kitano needs to lay off the nonstop violence and go back to feels

what do i care what some Sup Forums retard thinks, i just discover the jap films myself and watch them and that's that

you fucking guys are so stupid sometimes

>but you guys don't spoonfeed me

well what the fuck man, you have the whole worlds entertainment at your fingertips

This one is good.

Attack on Titan

>see a cute japanese girl
>she doesn't like me back

why even live

whats the essential "tfw no japanese gf" core?

Thanks.

gooks have no souls and cant emote

>what do i care what some Sup Forums retard thinks, i just discover the jap films myself and watch them and that's that

>The taste of tea
if this one was any more laid back you'd be sinking into the ground

>Still Walking
this one is also pretty good

>Why don't you play in Hell
weird as shit but funny most of the time

>Fireworks
>mfw

>the only decent japanese film out there is actually american

of course

Linda Linda Linda, personally

>The Woman in the Dunes
hard to describe without letting it sound too boring but definitely worth to watch

japanese cinema, especially the japanese new wave, has produced some of the most iconic works of art ever produced

just because some edgy kids said otherwise doesn't mean you need to make a fucking thread about it

next time, make a proper thread that isn't derailed from the get-go you fucking retard

You probably should stop watching films to masturbate to.

I didn't actually want to be spoonfed, I wanted a discussion on JP films but I did get some cool recs, so thanks guys.

The problem with Japanese cinima is that it's going threw it's version of capeshit right now. Pretty much all the biggest film to come out are based on anime.

>calling hana-bi "fireworks"

I dunno what it is, but lots of non-english films titles permeate the world without translation pretty effectively and others not so much.

Like Tokyo Story or Pale Flower are known largely by their english titles and have lots of posters in their english titles but movies like Ran and Rashomon are almost exclusively known by their native titles and have no artwork for other languages.

I doubt anyone is saying "all" japanese movies are bad, but rather that modern jap cinema is now chocked full of garbage with very very few worthwhile movies in it all.

BUT WHY

modern everything is shit

it's what happens when everything is made for the masses

everybody is a pleb and gobbles up capeshit
meanwhile art dies

After Life is great.

classical Sup Forums

god tier
1957-1967

good tier
1925-1940
1944-1955

okay tier
1970-1980

why tier
1980-2015

Shin Godzilla was pretty good

I haven't seen anything else this year

>whats the essential "tfw no japanese gf" core?
Life.

Don't forget to watch A Life In Four Seasons, number one kino affiliated with Japan.

that's how it has always been

for every good classical movie tons of shit movies got produced, you only didn't get to see them

wow you posted a picture with a bunch of stupid gooks and their trash movies that must mean they are great!!!

100% chance everyone obssesed with japanese films is a dumbfuck weeb that watches anime

kys, my man

and everyone who says all japanese movies are shit is just a pleb who watches transformers

they're all shit

what anime are you currently watching, senpai?

the one where your mum gets gang raped by niggers

Avistatz.to.has open registration until the 30th, so sign up if you are interested in Asian movies and tv.

Also a newer recommendation in pic, was surprisingly enjoyable.

watch your ranguage, young man. Your behaviooor wir not be torerated here in japan!!

Did you mean Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters?

I thought it was really funny

What about 2016

this looks really cheesy
is it good?

what happened in 1956 that made you erase it from film history

It's worth a watch. I wouldn't say it was cheesy, maybe the trailer just gives that impression.

Hana-bi is best goodest

i think they get their acting shit from
their genre movies, but some of the art
house films they turn out are pretty good.
confessions is a fantastic revenge film,
and the world of kanako too.

youtube.com/watch?v=Vnws8ZymxME

world of kanako had almost south korean
level of asshole protagonist

youtube.com/watch?v=He0oQJC9pzQ

Sonatine is almost as good though.

Memes aside, O find Sion Sono to be really lackluster.

He always has his characters go into autistic nerd rage moments where they start screaming at each other for several minutes at a time.

>5h17m
mate...

They made a Casshern movie?

I love comfy Japanese movies like taste of tea and still walking.
Any other recommendations?

Pinkerton

japanese movies are pretty awesome, but theres of course also a variety of really weird ones. anyway watched pic related recently and its really great suspense horror.

I will never stop shilling this film every chance i get

casshern is like they took captain america and
had it directed by some art house people,
i thought it was great, i didn't write that post that
mentioned it though

Funny, depressing and heartwarming at the same time.

Kikujiro, Megane
Don't know if you would count them as "comfy" but Radio no Jikan is hilarious, one of the best comedies. A Stranger of Mine is also good. Survive Style 5+ is also more of a "wacky" comedy. For example a father gets hypnotized to be a duck but the hypnotizer dies before returning the father to normal, so he now acts like a duck which brings some difficulties to the family life.

>Love Exposure
god, not all the 4 hours I hope

>japanese films
good directors

>american films
good budget

>european films
good actors

Only good japkino are the old masters, Kobayashi, Teshigahara, Mizogucci, Kurosawa, Ozu.

The new shit is fucking awful

Damn, sounds kinda lame.

nice opinion

No.

2nded 100%

Branded to Kill too

wtf OP i found the most satisfying movies to be nihonese.

>complains about Kitano not doing anymore feels
>doesn't post Kids Return
Shamefur dispray. That's probably the most melancholic Kitano movie of them all, despite everyone sucking up to Hanabi and Sonatine.

Japanese>Chinese>Korean>European>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>shit>american>>>>>>>>>>>>hollywood blockbusters/capeshit

Why the fuck do people like Kitano? I watched Hana bi and it was fucking shit.

AYYYY
Didn't Cuomo end up marrying a jap in the end?

great criticism you've got there

Have you seen Tattooed life? The last 15 mins is some of the best shit Suzuki's done

It's as good a critique as saying you loved it.

Well I loved the slow, methodic builsing of tension with sharp outbursts of violence to contrast. I loved the weid, dark sense of humor and existential themes. The art is kinda awesome too.

>guy who directed I Am A Hero also made another Death Note sequel
like wtf, I didn't know this existed. I actually liked the first two live-action Death Note movies, but the summary of third film seriously reads like shit.

It was just dumb man. He was beating up a bunch of assholes in some real Steven seagull style scenes and then he quits the force because he has some flashback of when his colleagues got fucked up by some asshat because their entire squad is incompetent and then he goes on an autistic trip with his cancer wife and some goofy niggas are still following him around to kill him and then he kills them all in another Steven seagull like scene and then he shoots his wife and himself.

Good, as did I. It's too bad it took a shitpost on someone's part and a useless complaint out of you to get there but ok.

no i haven't actually seen as much suzuki as i'd like too. ill def check it out though

Anyone got any recs for something with a similar feel to Big Bang Love Juvenile A?

Congrats, you just outlined the plot of the movie without even bothering to touch on the things I mentioned. I see that this movie isn't going to be liked by eveyone.
It's half character and haf syledriven in my opinion. If you want awesome, complicated stories Kitano is not for you at all.

I like simple stories just fine but Kitano can't act and those violence scenes are so bad they're almost funny and they serve no purpose, movies would be better without them.

this has been sitting on my folders for months. I'll watch it now, thanks.

Who is your favorite currently living director?

You can't be serious.

probably wrong way to word it, i mean its if
they took an iconic american comic character and instead of making it like marvel they did it art house style instead that's what i meant

I've never actually watched a Big Bang love but I watched A Crowd Of Three recently and it sounds pretty similar.
Another similarity is that it stars Ryuhei Matsudas brother Shota Matsuda.

Save your time. It's terrible.

Watched Dreams For Sale a couple days ago, really made me want to get married.
Weird feel.

Really? His name is Shota?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shōta
you read too many hentai

I recently saw this and it had a q&a with the director. Cool guy and a great flick. I went red in the face when the credits showed up. Even though it was over five hours, I wasn't expecting that. Apparently this was influenced by Ozu and I've never seen anything by him so I should really get around to that. What did you think of it?

I dunno if you're surprised cause of /ss/ or something but yeah, Shota is a fairly common Japanese name.

Some user recommended this in an earlier thread. Good shit from Shinji Aoyama.

Anybody know where to get English subs for The Inerasable? Looks like J-horror is making a comeback

Anyone know where to find Spring Snow with english subs? I liked the book and know there's a movie adaptation but none seem to have subs.

I don't know what's worse, the /ss/ implication or the fact that shota means boy lel what if he were tanned?