What, in your opinion, constitutes a "good" actor or actress

What, in your opinion, constitutes a "good" actor or actress
we have threads all the time about ACT and who cant act for shit, ect. What do you look for in a performance?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=z9MjMPoWERY
youtube.com/watch?v=mrfptaj6Kf0
youtube.com/watch?v=N0Os0Q9SA2k
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

it's all in the voice
not only accents but intonations change and vary from performance to performance
the rhythm of their speech and all that

denzel washington nearly always sounds the same so i am always bored by his performances. just the same guy in different costumes

A good actress knows how to make you dick move, she has big ass tiddies and can sing with her butthole.
A good actor can kill any average joe with one hand.

I don't have a particular taste in actors, all that's good for me is that they need to
not suck so much that they make me want to tear my eyes out.

see
youtube.com/watch?v=z9MjMPoWERY

I recently watched Up in the Air and came to the conclusion that George Clooney is a great actor because of how utterly generic he is.

He has a good voice for narration, and he looks like nobody and anybody.

fuckability

youtube.com/watch?v=mrfptaj6Kf0

I watched Enemy and Locke today

In the first one Jake made me forget I was looking at the same person playing two dudes interacting with each other and in the second Tom managed to captivate me despite being the only person on-screen for the entirety of the movie

>acting 101 presentation
>terrible spelling and grammar

what a shit video. SAGED.

pretty much this

how passionate they are with their work. IDK, It sounds cheesy but that the best way I can put. You can tell when somebody is hamming it up, and they were just hired because of a pretty face or connections. If somebody is really trying Ii at least give them credit
Ill probably get shit fir this but I honestly think Keanue Reeves is a terrible actor. I like his movies most of the time but hes the definition of cardboard. I cant picture him doing a movie that requires some real feeling and passion

I was watching that midnight special movie last night and Adam Driver totally pulled me out of it.

he wasn't even really doing anything bad, but i just felt too much like I was watching a movie when I was watching him.

>using mediocre acting as good acting

>using the worst possible acting you can find as bad acting

wew lad

attractive woman = good actress

fucking shit tier video
>citing the room as an example of bad acting like nobody know about it

An actor that can fully become the character they are playing. A chameleon. Not just playing yourself in the every role.

Ben Foster is a good actor but I can't put into words why I think he is.

Ability to invoke the intended response. Scenes are meant for the viewer to have a certain reaction to, and if the acting causes the viewer to have that reaction, they acted well. Unfortunately this is subjective, but often many people will react the same way.

when they make you forget that you are watching a movie and they are actors

this is why i never consider leo to be top tier despite liking him

This tends to wind up being overacting desu

good acting = dont notice anything
bad acting = it's obvious the guy is acting

plebs who say "bad acting is meaningless" are retards

like when you are playing a bad guy and people start hating you irl for it, then i think you are doing a pretty good job

Being able to get a sense of what kind of character the actor is playing almost instantly, i.e. a character that doesn't need exposition but you want it anyway, as opposed to the other way round.

This scene is imo some of the best acting ever committed to film.

youtube.com/watch?v=N0Os0Q9SA2k

The ability to make me completely believe I don't hate them so intensely in real life.

There is a fine line, but the ones that can walk it are the best in my eyes.

yeah, agreed

god, i need to rewatch the series sometimes

This

The fine details such as facial expressions, emotion in their voice and overall body language are very important to me

Small time actor here. Done a couple of paid gigs but mostly wait tables lel

The thing about acting as a skill is, there's literally no method to it, and it's not a skill that you can really teach. Some people are just naturally really good at it, some people are just plain bad and it's hard to say why.

I believe that a good performance happens when the actor is open to experimentation - changing little bits in how he delivers the lines between takes/performances and playing off the other actors. When an actor is being spontaneous they generally seem a lot more natural.

One of the things you've got to appreciate when it comes to film is that the director has a big effect on how well the actors come across. A director who doesn't work with and coach their actors will get bad performances from actors with potential.

>A director who doesn't work with and coach their actors will get bad performances from actors with potential.

I disagree. I'd propose that what you get is... poetry.

IMHO, if they can pull off a good dramatic role theyre good
comedy, cape shit, romcoms, horror, ect are all relatively easy to work with depending on the material, but to have a good dramatic role portrayed is a sign of being in the top

There are two different types of good actors.

Those that put their heart and soul into it and can play anything and those that may not have huge range but nail kind of just playing themselves when the role demands it.

Most of my favorite actors fall into those two categories.