A Series of Unfortunate Events

youtube.com/watch?v=u0nxYPcirpw
>inb4 this thread turns to Sup Forumsshit
Kinda looking forward to this, but based on the trailer and what I remember from the books, it looks like it's gonna be a supremely bastardized adaptation. The gay man's nose also looks ridiculous.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QUKg16Zvwu8
etonline.com/tv/203038_neil_patrick_harris_dishes_on_taking_over_for_jim_carrey_a_series_of_unfortunate_events_on_netflix/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Another shill thread?

CTR LEAVE REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Holy fuck it's Shirley. What books is this covering?

>2 darkies and a poo in the trailer alone

I'm surprised they didn't just go ahead and make everyone a fucking dindu.

All of them.

It's covering all the books. I remember reading 2 eps per book, so 26 eps total.

In one season?

This is nuts.

Outside of Shirley there wasn't anything from after the first three books shown in the trailer as far as I could tell.

>it's a quip fest
JUST

IIRC there are 8 episodes in series one, so it should cover the first 4 books.

I would assume 1-4

Why do they keep trying to make this series into a comedy?

This looks a lot like Pushing Daisies which is great. That show is pretty much the best live action fairy tale out there.

I didn't realize Sonnenfeld was the producer on ASOUF

I want to impregnate Violet.

It definitely has the Wide Window, except with the mystery shoehorned in when in reality the books didn't mention anything about it that early on.

I'm rereading the series right now and I can see why it can be seen as a comedy.

The books had black comedy elements as well, I don't see the problem.

Though that 'I bought it online' seems out of place, are they not setting it in the past?

The biggest fuckup of the movie was casting Jim Carrey as a comedic Olaf and instead of getting an instant leg up by going with a more faithful Olaf they just hire someone to do the same Jim Carrey interpretation...

I agree, Carrey was great while in disguise, but as plain Olaf he ruined it.

looks cheap
decorations and sets

>The books had black comedy elements as well

And this trailer doesn't. It has quipshit.

>tfw Montgomery says GOOO

Supposedly it has the highest budget of any netflix show

durr

Who was Monty? The Colonel looking guy?

The budget is higher than Marco "Full Retard" Polo?

Because it IS a black comedy. It's not the fact that Olaf is dressing as a woman that's funny, it's the fact that he's dressing as a woman and everyone is too retarded to tell that it's really a man is funny.

That said, this really does just look like a continuation of the movie except with better writing. A black guy playing Mr. Poe, the kids finding out about VFD very early on and trying to solve its mystery and Count Olaf being a borderline retarded one liner machine are all from the movie. Why are they trying to repeat history when history rolled out a flop?

The middle eatern guy from the Daily Show

I was more defending the film.

I agree the trailer gives that impression, but I guess we won't know for sure until the show is actually released. That bit with Mr Poe casually saying what perish meant was a bit black in fairness. This isn't a race joke, if it isn't obvious

>Why are they trying to repeat history when history rolled out a flop?
But the movie did well at the box office, and is a pretty good kids film. I' actually say it's one of my favourites.

Only teenagers that thought the movie should be completely serious didn't like it. I actually remember some guy in one of these threads trying to claim the books were for young adults.

Yeah he was the pizza man from Spider-Man 2

all i can say is neil patrick harris is one of the worst casting choices i've ever seen

Why wasn't Mr. Poe Jewish?
Sup Forums memes aside, in the books, he always that that "neruotic woody Allen esc" personality

I didn't like that they tried to smash three books together and hired a spastic unfunny retard to mug at the camera instead of someone who could actually balance creepiness with absurdity. Maybe it's because the first book will always stick out in my memory, but Olaf always gave me a pedo vibe. I thought that whoever they got to play him should have that type of menacing creepiness.

And in all fairness, I thought they WERE YA books. Everything starting with the hospital book definitely gets darker, and the prose itself seems a little too sophisticated to be for really little kids.

>fucking this post
Olaf was fucking horrifying in the book just to see the lengths he would go just to steal some kids' money. This is kind of person that would murder someone in cold blood and have no remorse.

>AYO NIGGA WE WUZ POEZ N SHEEEEIT
Why does no one have a problem with this?

The movie's decsion to put 3 books together is deifnitely questionable, but it's not like they failed to make it work - they're just shorter than you would have expected.

I agree, whilst Carrey was ratehr memorable he wasn't as sinister as in the books. But there are things you get away with in books that you wouldn't in films. Look at how all the young adult novel movies are given PG-13 ratings - the blood/nudity etc is all cut out. Maybe they should have found a way around it, but having Olaf be so sinister could have been a challenge for a kids film.

The books may have been written with the initial audience in mind. I have to say I don't remember the prose, but I'll tkae your word it got more sophisticated. If that's the case then maybe it's because the initial child audience would have grown into teenagers as the series went on.

Darkness wise yeah, it got darker. Weirdly dark though - like the possibility of everyone in the hospital dying from the fire seemed rather abrupt to me. I mean in saying that, it's not like fires were new to the series, and the books did end with the guardians being killed.

Book made no mention of Poe's race, you nigger.

He was obviously Jewish

Was the woman with them harpoon Kit or Esme?

Proof please, you character appropriating kike.

>harpoon
I'm assuming Kit

>banker
>nerotic
>wife works for a newspaper that lies

Fuck yes.

>The biggest fuckup of the movie was casting Jim Carrey as a comedic Olaf
The author said he wanted Rickman (who was still under contract to making HP) and to get anyone BUT Carrey.

> do the same Carrey interpretation
I sorely doubt Harris will make it 100% Carrey.

>it's another "two or more characters are black for some reason when the source material makes it clear they're white" show

The source material doesn't indicate they're white at all.

Though it would go with the gothic feel I suppose.

>The source material doesn't indicate they're white at all.
Not him and I hate racebait threads, but the illustrations indicated that he was white.

Aunt Josephine looks awful.

It seems like they have not enough budget to make larger scale world. Everything is like in a dollhouse. Plenty of cocktail-era pandering, in books it was not so obvious, the movie catched that better. They started the VFD plot earlier then it considered to be. Unnecessary quips.
Good that adults look more idiotic, books implied that. Charles episode will be tense, I suppose.

first 4 books.

Season 1 is 8 episodes. 2 episodes per book

The books are comedic, but the thing about them is they're only comedic with the idiosyncratic narration and the constant literary references.
To your average child reader, at least half the "jokes" fly over their heads, and the books are definitely dark from that perspective.

it looks good, what's the problem?

Those weren't official though were they? I don't even remember the books, but I've seen someone in another thread say they weren't part of them.

If they are official then yeah, it seems unnecessary to change his race. Not like it is a big deal or anything.

The illustrations were part of the books. But I mean, they didn't necessarily stay completely consistent on some things(for example, Olaf's tattoo) so they weren't necessarily set in stone stuff. The books don't really mention race for many characters.

FUCK OFF

It's hardly "racebait" to want actors not to stand-out as unfaithful or incongruous in the setting, which for this series I always imagined set in the 1920s or a steampunk-influenced version of it.

If they "mix it up" too much demographically, it'll feel less like a lived-in world and more like a bunch of modern millennial people playing dress-up.
Though to be fair, a lot of millennial white actors have an accent that sets them out from fifty years ago, let alone the type of north-east accent that existed commonly ~100 years ago in the type of setting I always pictured this story's world as being in.

They were.

There was nothing written in the books to indicate that the story was set in any particular decade. I think a lot of people associate it with early 1900s America simply because of the nondescript technology and illustration art style.

I always thought it was in the 50s or 60s. Wes Anderson could have had a field day with this.

Yeah, the books are anachronistic. In one book one of them is dropped off at a blacksmith and the other is dropped off at a computer repair shop. In the Austere Academy there's a powerful computer but at the same time morse code machines and telegraphs are still in use.

A store that appears sold fibre optic cables and credit cards

This. I think that he wouldn't even need to make up quips, while he can literally film idiosyncratic metaphors visually and jokes from books as well.

I like this scene, he looks creepy and sadic as fuck.

youtube.com/watch?v=QUKg16Zvwu8

There was a segment about the show on Entertainment Tonight with some info. Most of the new footage in it appears to be from the trailer.

etonline.com/tv/203038_neil_patrick_harris_dishes_on_taking_over_for_jim_carrey_a_series_of_unfortunate_events_on_netflix/

The funniest parts are the outtakes imo and any part where Olaf just looks plain exasperated like he's fully aware that he's in a kids movie and hates it.

Carrey's Olaf isn't unbearable, but he definitely should have played it straighter and more deadpan for maximum kek.

Olaf was always goofy to an extent. So far nph seams to be doing a much better job than carey

i remember being younger and thinking she was hot

now im older and shes older and the older version of her is still hot

who knew?

Didn't they make a movie out of this

Did you not read the books? They're all dark comedies to some degree or another.

That dinosaur impression though

i want to violate violet

she's hot but kinda ayylmaoish, mongoloid way
something about her face

>kills someone for being a grammar nazi
Probally the best part of the film.

Nazi*

lmao
fuck off

Probably*

He was jewish

They just love to stick nigs in things

W-why nobody raped her?

looks even worse than the jim carey one.

>career goes nowhere
>goes straight to nudie indy movies while still tight and perky

B A S E D

screw fortunes, if i was olaf, i would marry violet regardless her inheritance

In book 5 they had computers

Post some proof son

I wouldn't say it's "bastardized", although they're certainly taking some liberties. I'm willing to give it a shot.
My ONE complaint is the "I bought it online" joke, the LS world is supposed to be retro, the computer at the school is considered high-tech cutting edge.

Yeah, looks like they're chopping it up and adding some other weirdness, or flipping the mythology so it's present throughout rather than built upon.

It wasn't that it went nowhere, she started and finished a degree did she not?

I liked that scene in Legend anyway.

>that little speech about happy endings
you know, somehow that really sells the idea of olaf as someone who used to be illusioned and naive until an uncaring terrible world turned him into the count, or like someone else in the thread said, a bad guy who is aware he is in a childrens book

Look at the movie as a parody of Count Olaf and it's great.

He wore a paper bag. I just wanted that. It's fine though.

I don't think it's actually set in the past, it's more just the style.

Kit would make the most sense, maybe they're making her a regular instead of having her show up near the end.

>His license plate is IH8 ORFNS.
Lol

That's straight from the book.

I have no idea if it is or not, I just read that was in the film. A nice detail, though a little forced if it was spelt out in the books.

It wasn't spelt out, it was in one of the illustrations.

That would be great if she was.
Would give her and the other sibling more umph.

It looks like they copied his style in the worst way in this

This doesn't look good.

I'm supposed to suspend my disbelief, but it's impossible guys.

I mean, I'm not incredibly smart, but dude it's painful to watch a lot of people saying "Oh you kids are smart" when no one knows what a fucking costume is and everyone is easily fooled.

It's like watching a lena durnham movie where people constantly, and it's a point of the movie, remarks how beautiful she is.

Maybe it's not for me.