Has the loudness war negatively affected films like it has music?

Has the loudness war negatively affected films like it has music?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mSiSmJka5Gk
youtube.com/watch?v=lLpRedlLapA
twitter.com/AnonBabble

*rapes you*

it benefited music and films

yeah, but not in the same way.

I don't recall having to have my finger on the fucking volume control for a whole film in the 80s' or 90s' so I could alternate between hearing dialogue and not blowing my speakers/amplifier up

>go to cinema recently
>watch movie
>the speakers are so bad,and so loud
>the explosions makes the speakers go "gurrrrrrrrr geeeerrrrrrrrrr"
>it makes the experience uncomfortable
>start investing in home theater setup
>never go to the movies again.
and thats how I enjoy my movies.

Yes, the music is too fucking loud compared to when actors are talking. Fucking whispering.

this, the soundtrack and sound effects are so loud in movies you have to ride the volume the whole movie

Turn on volume auto adjust if you have on the TV itself or volume equalizer on your computer.

>go to the movies
>character is tapping a pencil on a desk
>feel the sound in my chest

This so much

i still think movies are better sounding overall, there is certainly way more dynamic range in a movie as a whole (adr, sfx, and music) in comparison to just recorded music by itself.

You're idiots. The "loudness war" would benefit people like you in this case, because there's no dynamic range and everything, dialog and explosions, would have the same volume.

Yes I know this is music but this is without doubt one of the loudest albums ever released when it comes to distortion

youtube.com/watch?v=mSiSmJka5Gk

>loudness war
literally a meme

I love how Nolan always has the score in his movies so loud that you sometimes have trouble understanding what the characters are saying. A true master of filmmaking.

>Yes, the music is too fucking loud
I did a film course and I gotta say it was a fucking bitch trying to get the music, dialogue and effects 100% perfect because when I would work on my MAC and then test screen the film in the theater, suddenly the music was a lot quieter compared to how it played on the MAC.

I suppose this is why most film guys prefer to edit the film in an actual studio because editing it on a MAC or PC speaker system is suicide.

This didn't bother me at all in The Dark Knight because I read that Heath Ledger died before he could re-record his lines so anything that sounded off with distortion made me just remember this.

when you mix you have to use multiple references (ie different sets of speakers, headphones, even phone speakers, etc.)

My film course was shit with how much they cut down the course so we didn't get taught everything in detail.

and i should add, no mix is ever "perfect", just like any film shoot, everything ultimately comes down a compromise of sorts.

No it wouldn't benefit but it would basically be the same, it would just be louder over all

>watch a movie
>feel like I need subtitles because the characters talk so quietly
>but I can literally feel shaking from the sound effects

Who does this benefit?

>watch movie
>turn volume up when there is no action scene
>turn volume down when action scene commences because suddenly everything is so loud

maybe take a semester of audio production 101, i'm sure your school has that regardless of any budget cuts in the film dept.

Stop being a fucking retard and use audio filter to mix the 5.1 or god forbid 7.1 to 2.0 since you are a faggot with 20 dollar headphones

This was really apparent to me back when they re released Halloween in theaters a couple years back. I went to see it and it was sooooooooo quiet. You could hear the two auditoriums on each side over the movie in most places. Really put it in perspective as far as loudness in most modern movies.

I remember listening to one thrash/doom metal album which got me pissed because the volume was so low (the drums felt like they were badly mixed).

I suppose sometimes we need some type of distortion or effect when it comes to a loud noise hard to explain

Theaters should play it as loud as possible, but when i'm watching it at home I don't need to rattle the windows when I can barely hear the dialogue

an entire thread of ppl who don't know what the loudness wars are

it's not volume

Fuck the theater when they play re releases!

I have seen Tommy Wiseau's The Room and the dialogue was so fucking quiet.. you'd think the guys in the control room would crank it up a bit.

Gotta love these modern movies, they really make me feel like DJ or something.

Everysingle time

>it's not volume

But it is

>Theaters should play it as loud as possible
Some said that when they saw Attack of the Clones in theater, the part hen Obi Wan is being chased by Fett, it was incredibly loud during one of the explosions.

btw when I saw 10 Cloverfield Lane in IMAX the other year, it was one of the best sound designs ever because when the basement rattling began, it literally felt like the cinema was shaking.

Finally something which actually gave off realism otherwise yeah a lot of movies in the cinema are too quiet and don't feel that realistic.

thanks for not quoting me here:
since i know what the OP is talking about

no it isnt

RIP Dynamic range

Your problem sounds exactly like you are listening to 5.1 or 7.1 audio stream without downmixing it to 2.0

You are basically stupid faggot being fucking stupid.

>Some said that when they saw Attack of the Clones in theater, the part hen Obi Wan is being chased by Fett, it was incredibly loud during one of the explosions.

That sounds better to me, I saw doctor strange recently and it sounded like it was played at 60% volume

ya i skipped you

>it's not volume
Yes it is. Metallica's Death Magnetic has been reported to be one of the worst "loudness war" releases because the drum snare is so distorted along with all the instruments cranked up.

youtube.com/watch?v=lLpRedlLapA

Luckily there is a re-released version which gets rid of the distortion thanks to someone ripping all the songs off Guitar Hero.

>I saw doctor strange recently and it sounded like it was played at 60% volume
Same although that LSD like sequence with the voices going in and out around the cinema was cool but otherwise it was too quiet and I was watching this in a special old cinema!

Interstellar was insanely loud

>op is buthurt that people are not talking about something he just learned about on the internet because he was not alive when this was happening
hilarious

Intersteller was cranked up very loud when I saw it in the cinema. Even though that movie didn't have much of a good mix (it was mostly music when it came to the dramatic parts) but the music was very loud compared to majority of other movies.

>Go to IMAX
>Use earplugs during the entire movie
>Ears still hurt after

I don't think Nolan does ADR generally.

It's why he can't film a whole movie in IMAX, cameras are too loud.

Nolans movies are always really loud and I like that

I remember when he was testing the batmobile guns in Dark knight it was the loudest thing I ever heard in a theater, granted it was an imax theater

Compression and EQ are gain based processes so it will affect the overall level of the tracks. So yeah volume is involved

The surprise death was perfect

>quiet talking
>BOOM

This diagram is applicable to pretty much all of our modern world. Everything is in over drive

They abandoned the remake of Easy Rider because the dailies of the opening scene literally killed all the producers.

>cameras are too loud.
For you

>The entire plane sequence was shot using IMAX cameras, meaning that none of the actors could hear what the other was properly saying so they had to stick to the script 100%
Really makes you think

>Joker pulls out shotgun
>Just a massive distorted sound

The Star Wars opening scroll theme was insanely loud when I saw The Force Awakens.

Kek
>Character puts his briefcase/backpack down
>Loud as a fucking for no reason

>tfw soundcloud threads on Sup Forums are filled 99% with pure ableton garbage

>Sup Forums
It is the worst board on Sup Forums period

>itt people watching movies with shitter sound setups

The extra volume comes from the downmixing of a 5.1 track into stereo/2.1

>thanks to someone ripping all the songs off Guitar Hero.
hilarious

BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Nolan intentionally downmixed dialogue and for music to take over during emotional scenes in Interstellar.

No it hasn't it's been scientifically proven to have destroyed music

Woah this thread really brought out all the clueless plebs.

For starters stop watching bad torrent rips with atrocius 96kbps audio, atleast look at this specification when downloading a movie please I beg you. You listened to better qualtiy audio when you downloaded dodgy bootleg songs from Limewire in 2008.
Also don't stop watching movies on your old toshiba laptop and complain about sound coming from a toster sound system in that case.

And don't watch movies on streaming sites, ever.

>calls people clueless
>completely misses the point that the OP was making

This is not about played volume or even quality, it's about the volume during the mixing being up so high the peaks go off the chart and distort.

>GF has hearing problems
>cringes in pain every few minutes from the speakers at the theatre

I'd say it has. Also on most modern films I'm forced to turn on subtitles to actually hear what they are saying in quieter parts. Never an issue with older stuff.

fucking retarded redditor. thats not how to use the quote function

But as shown most people in this thread don't have a clue about compression and are just arguing about played volume and quality.

Everybody is just posting "quite volume during dialogue, loud explosions" which negates that there is a loudness war of everything being the same high volume with no dynamics in todays movies.

A...are you a fellow audio nerd. user?

For those who dont know about the loudness wars.

> Loudness warorloudnessrace is the popular name given to the trend of increasing audio levels in recorded music since the early 1990s, which many critics believe reduces sound quality and listener enjoyment.

More often I hear people complaining about too much dynamics in the sound, but that's because they have shitty speakers with no low frequencies

In response to OP. Id say yes. The loudness race ruins good audio both film and mudic alike. Just because its loud doesn't mean it's better. Higher quality sound is better.(Flac, Wav, and hight mp3 with bettet bit depth

99% of people can't tell the difference between 128 and 320 kbps. Even self-proclaimed audiophiles are completely clueless about it.

Any sound engineer worth a damn can tell the difference with probably 80% accuracy.

Volume wars are a real thing. Old analog films shown in theaters had a standard. Then analog TV broadcast had a standard. Then digital music and movies starting pushing compression and volume. Then Internet destroyed everything and there is no standard anymore. Which is why every video on Youtube is either quiet as fuck or ear splitting loud.

But, a properly mixed 5.1 DTS soundtrack with from high fidelity source material has the potential to sound better than anything from the past. This is just fact.

When you're listening to something you're familiar with, absolutely. Otherwise it's a crapshoot.

It's gotten better somewhat at least. I've only seen a few new movies that the music became loud compared to the speech, but it's nothing compared to what it used to be with older movies where it would make my ears ring.
Could be my local theater that doesn't put it so loud though.
Horrible when they have 2 characters speaking and one of them is at normal volume while the other is whispering.

Not same user, but nah, not really. There are audio cues that are pretty easy to spot. It's not something you can spot in say, a few seconds. You have to listen for a while. And it depends on the audio, too. Harder to spot with shit modern rap, for instance, which is just beats and high compression garbage sound to begin with. Garbage in, garbage out.

I suggest you and the other idiots look at dynamic range or just look at an image of the audio waveforms. Compare them and try to figure out why the "loudness war" or no dynamic range would solve your problem of "too quiet dialogue loud explosions".

>this fucking thread

>tfw there aren't enough movies in 96khz or 192khz and most movies are still 48khz or worse, 44.1khz

>trying to listen to the interstellar soundtrack

Moar like trying not to listen to it

You don't need more than 44.1khz.

this is Sup Forums mate, what did you expect
and even though op post that fucking picture to obviously show his intention

>dumb. DUMB!