The ‘Stargate’ Reboot Isn’t Happening Anytime Soon

slashfilm.com/stargate-reboot/

>Back in 2013, Emmerich announced the Stargate sequel/reboot. The director wanted to do a Stargate trilogy, which would somehow continue the story of the 1994 movie. Emmerich’s original film never launched a sequel, although there were successful television shows (Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis) based on the same core concept: a mysterious portal discovered in the desert can transport humans to a distant alien world. That alien world is ultimately a letdown in the film, but there’s worse company to have than Kurt Russell and James Spader in a decent enough sci-fi movie.

>It’s unknown if either actor would’ve returned for the reboot/sequel, but producer Dean Devlin told Empire it recently fell apart anyway:

>It looked good for a couple of months, but now it’s not looking so good. There are just a lot of things that have to fire at the same time, and there was a moment where I thought it was all firing at the same time, and then it all kind of fell apart. It’s one of the reasons I prefer to work independently. Listen, I think if we did Stargate right, the fans would like it and we could do something really good. But if we screw it up, they’ll reject it. As they should. But I kind of don’t want to do it if I think that we’ll screw it up, and that’s one of the things that’s holding us back.

>The original Stargate was made independently, while the reboot would involve both Warner Bros. and MGM. The producer added:

>You’d have several studios involved and a lot of voices and, you know, you may make something great, but you also may have something that doesn’t resemble what you wanted to do. That kind of ‘collaboration’ is a terrifying aspect of the whole thing.’

Thank fuck, especially considering that jerk emmerich doesn't like to acknowledge SG-1

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UAgODVbPq78
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Good.

So basically

tl;dr: Emmerich wants to pretend SG-1 and shit doesn't exist, that only 1994 film exists, and wants to do a trilogy reboot? But the studios want to carry on the series as if SG-1 exists?

>although there were successful television shows (Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis)
Universe BTFO yet again

Nice tbph. Hopefully that new Star Trek does well and the studio will decide to make some netflix or amazon series.

As a sg1 fan who recently rewatched the series and went on to dark matter I'm fine with this reboot falling through.

Emmerich is a retard anyway

>When the tv show someone else scrapped together from your mediocre concept was better in every single way when compared to your generic action movie and you try and reboot your movie but all the fans liked the tv show more

Pathetic

Stargate is already too good, any reboot would just look shit in comparison.

That said, I would watch comfy conspiracy show about Goa'uld trying to infiltrate the American Govt or just a Goa'uld scifi game of thrones.

>emmerich doesn't like to acknowledge SG-1
Original movie was a thinking-man's sci fi and series were pleb tier cash grab. Only thing good in the series was RDA. Without him it would never get off.

fpbp

>thinking-man's sci fi

>earth-stargate had completely different symbols than abidos-stargate
yeah, great thinking. how's dialing supposed to work that way?

>Original movie was a thinking-man's sci fi

HOORAH SET OFF THE NUKE HOORAH HOORAH

This happened because Resurgence flopped so hard. They had all these grand plans and wet dreams about making massive amounts of cash out of two revived mega franchises and it just blew up on their face. I'm so happy those faggots finally got what was coming for them.

Thank Ra for good news.

A SG-1 continuation with a massive budget and some good actors could be great.

>Continuation
>Humans are more powerful than everyone else combined

So whats the plan user?

Another alien race shows up with tech that's even better than anything they've ever seen before?

You can't continue SG1 now. O'neill is too old now, and anyway he's a five star general.

Daniel probably wouldn't want to come back to the show

Teal'c and Carter would probably be down for it. Teal'c could come back from Dakara if there was a situation dire enough on Tauri. Carter is still in active duty in the US Air Force.

So you have two out of four actors. I guess they could get Corin Nemec though. Always liked that guy, really great character when you get other the fact that he's not Daniel.

Then you have to deal with the massive Atlantis cliffhanger that needs to be resolved (the lost city is still floating off of San Fransisco under optical camo)

Universe had a proper ending at least, so there's no threads that need to be resolved, they all froze to death in the cryo pods when the FTL failed and dropped them centuries of sublight flight out of the next galaxy.

So what I'm saying is there's a lot of cannon and storylines, and the actors are getting old.

Wraith Goa'uld

Not that user, but you don't need big bads all the damn time. Just go full Star Trek.

It woks as a Scifi book series, humans going out into the galaxy to settle it, getting big, forgetting some things etc, Asimov 2.0 if you will.

To boldly go where no tau'ri has gone before.

It is becoming clear that many in the Hollywood ether including executives, writers, director, and studio heads see episodic science fiction as too expensive to produce unless it is something that already has a huge base audience.

They seem to hate anything from the 90's or from the 2000's.It used to be fun when creators were inspired to keep their audiences interested. Apparently that's old, too gimmicky. So now we're supposedly too sophisticated, and need to be shown politically correct issues, and touchy feely shit that's been done since the 90s over, and over in expanded versions.

Who are we to know what we want right? We're apparently stupid, wanting crap that hardly anyone cares to see. Fuck them, fuck their same old new old shit.

Muh daddy dead, I'm inspired to be pissed off all the time....My bitch be cheatin on me.....BBC! ....Women be tough! ......Men are stupid.......Black men are smarter than white people.....women are smarter than men....

Its as if if they keep showing us that stuff, that they believe eventually it will become true.
25 years of the same politically correct shit, and we're still bored of it.

>Another alien race shows up with tech that's even better than anything they've ever seen before?
You don't need to have more powerful foes. You just need a new alien race with a working brain.
Look at Baal who managed to fuck some shit up with time travel and clones.

Actually fuck all of this just bring back Baal. The guy was notorious for cloning himself and fucking with time travel, how hard would it be to bring him back.

Baal is and always will be the greatest TV villain of all time.

>series were pleb tier cash grab
tell me how rich they get with a basic tv show?

>gloryfying the movie
you're the pleb here, mate. The concept was great, but the only one puny alien dominates millions part is way mor silly than snake in heads. Maybe it hurts for you, but the show was smarter than the movie ever could.

>see episodic science fiction as too expensive to produce

That's not true. CGI has become dirt cheap, the whole Babylon 5 space battle scenes can be done in a game engine within hours and look infinitely better than what they produced in thousands of hours of expensive work back then.

ok

so?

>CGI has become dirt cheap

Not the actors, not the directors, sets, writers, make-up, casting, catering, and on and on and on.

CGI is cheaper yes, but unfortunately that has done little to cut costs elsewhere.

>Wraith feed off Goa'uld
>Goa'uld symbionts regenerate the host
da capo al fine

GENIUS!

yea.. He could be in stasis somewhere, where noone found him yet.

Why do we need a big bad? Just have good plots involving other races, they don't need to be super god like power demons. They just have to be threatening.

USA might be more powerful than China, but it'd still lose men in a war. You can make a story about a massive race of billions upon billions, who attack SG-1 and shit in human waves, bring up discussion about 'is it right to kill them?' and then 'well their leaders don't seem to care' and other shit. Have two members of SG-1 or some in the base argue for total annihilation of this race, while others argue for diplomacy. Have SG-1 help both sides.

you don't need to have the same characters, just have new members of SG-1 like those near the end of the series. The suits will probably want 'more relatable' people anyway.

It could also allow new tech to have been created since SG-1 ended and open up new possibilities.

>Not the actors,
Get young no-name actors
>not the directors,
Dont get the George Lucas tier
>sets,
It's not that expensive, you mostly use the same props over and over again
>writers,
They literally work for free these days
>make-up, casting, catering, and on and on and on.
Non issue

REEEEEE

The film is one of my favorite sci-fi movies, I never understood why showfags got so butthurt over it

they discover that thye cna dial other galaxies besides the 2 and find out a new big bad guy

then go with a new team

It's a great movie, but you seem to be confused. It's Emmerich who is butthurt over the shows.

Don't forget the most important - LEGAL PROPERTY RIGHTS...and a team of lawyers to approve and secure every element used.

It's okay. For me it falls off when they get to the city.

The only character they need to bring back is the chevron guy. Just a wink and a nod to the audience.

That's the actual problem - they keep onto the IP even if they dont actually want to do anything with it.

UNSCHEDULED OFF-WORLD ACTIVATION

Showfags always get butthurt about Emmerich, especially in the last few years after he announced plans to reboot without the series as canon.

I will never understand showfags anyway, they defend SGA (pure, unadultered garbage aimed at the same demographic that watched buffy the vampire slayer) and post-O'Neill/Hammond SG-1 (pure, unadultered garbage aimed at the same demographic that watched Farscape), but hated SGU which was actually a good show

You are a very confused individual.

Always remember to double down, kids

No I'm not user, you just have shit taste

Like I said, confused.

worthless opinions

No John, you are the shit taste.

worthless '''human''' '''''being'''''

At least you can admit it.

showfags getting butthurt again

not an argument

that I'm not a fan of shows aimed at the buffy demographic? i will wear that badge with pride

It's just a shot in the dark
One step away from you

SGU a good show.

Hell, SGU is what they joked about on episode 200.

youtube.com/watch?v=UAgODVbPq78

showfags really are the worst. they've held this franchise back after accepting SGA and nuSG-1 rather than boycotting them for the worthless garbage they are

Any reboot in the current climate would be full of SJW crap. You'd have your strong independant women, token blacks, and one white male who is basically useless and the comedy relief. Let's not forget there would be constant camera winking and quipping. All the military officers would be female with the exception of the one incompetent one who will be a white male.

Oh right. The main cast would also be in their late teens or early twenties to appeal to a '""broader demographic""".

This. Basically The 100: the show, which SGA and nuSG-1cucks don't mind anyway given you've basically described those two shows

You're a bit paranoid, aren't you?

>although there were successful television shows (Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis)

SGUs BTFO

Holy shit. This is maybe the 4th or 5th thread today that reminds me of people from the old Sci-fi Channel board. WTF? It's not 2005 - 2009 anymore.
All of that shit is old news.

Were you one of RDM's writers? Or RDM himself who pretended not to enter the forum with his then current wife Terry (costume designer he met on Carnival) whose opinions sucked?

So, same as the original? White strong woman, two dudes, a black man and a diverse cast from Asians to Mongols.

Are you implying that nu-SG-1 and SGA were worthy continuations of the franchise after O'Neill and Hammond left? Really? Please kys if that's the case

>Teal'c
>black

lol'd

I'm okay with this. I mean, if Resurgence is an example of what a Stargate movie might end up like (tone, content etc) then it's better off left in the sand.

I miss SG-1, but I'd prefer to leave Stargate be for a while.

SGA sucked. So did the SG1 without Richard Dean Anderson.
SGU, on the other had, I loved, but thanks to it being too expensive, and a bunch of crybabies screaming it was too BSG, not SGA enough, it was cancelled quick.

Tried to watch "syfy" since but I still hate them.

>Showfags always get butthurt about Emmerich, especially in the last few years after he announced plans to reboot without the series as canon.

I don't see why showfags get butthurt. As a fan of SG1 myself, it was very apparent that they had to change some details in the first few episodes in order to forge a franchise out of Stargate. The show was never canon to the movie. The possibility of them continuing the movie's canon and ignoring the shows is perfectly fine. Even though I don't think anything beyond the end of the first movie needed to be continued.

>SGA sucked

inane.

Doesn't matter because it's all shit canned anyway.

Damn user, your taste sucks ass.

>sucks

So do you with BBC, but I'm not bothered by your lifestyle.

>SGU, on the other had, I loved, but thanks to it being too expensive, and a bunch of crybabies screaming it was too BSG, not SGA enough, it was cancelled quick.
You are mistaken. Based Carlyle made you think it was good, but it was actually trash.

This likely spans from the same kind of retardation that made you imply Farscape was bad.

good

no more reboots ever please

>Based Carlyle made you think it was good,

I didn't like it because of him. I liked that they were cut off from Earth actually going into the unknown. What I've NEVER liked about Stargate SG1 was them expecting me to believe that the government could possibly contain such secrets, and something keep useful technologies hidden from society. Would have been equivalent to having Star Trek hiding in current time, has all the cures diseases, starvation.
SG1 had to have been the biggest assholes on the planet keeping valuable technology hidden just so they could jump from place to place.

Think of the billions of lives improved, but not because of those assholes hiding it...

it already had strong women, race/speciesmixing, tho

>I didn't like it because of him.
he was the only redeeming factor of SGU.

I'm glad it was cancelled, because of this he could join "once upon a time" as god-tier Rumpelstiltskin.

>poltards win the election and still act like giant faggots

No, you've missed the entire point I made. Stargate SG1 demanded that you discard basic logic. They somehow managed to secure top notch security with thousands of military soilders who saw aliens coming in, and out every week with advanced technology that could save their family members?

There's NO WAY a military could keep that secret secure for that long, when it was technology that could have helped everyone else of the planet. Stargate SG1 were HUGE assholes, keeping the technology to themselves.

They didn't though.
The leaked it to the public in small chunks so people would assume it was natural scientific progress.

>There's NO WAY a military could keep that secret secure for that long, when it was technology that could have helped everyone else of the planet.

They address this. Most of the technology that they can actually figure out how to replicate and operate safely is "discovered" by scientists working for the SGC or IOA and becomes commercially available.

It's just that most of the useful stuff they find usually ends up blowing up in their faces.

>The leaked it to the public in small chunks

That's bullshit. One or two episodes they shared what? Meanwhile they still have top notch alien ships?
This example, I've posted is probably the main reason no one wants to do another Stargate SG1 project.
Buttholes with advanced life saving technology hording it so you can't watch them do shitty gun fights with aliens.

Yea, and the whole Teal'c thing with the snake thing, that's total "TV" bullshit they'd made up that was a total derail from the movie. The original wasn't a fucking lizard eel thing. In the original movie he was a gray alien whose essence was transformed into human form on Earth so that he could prolong his survival.

These were just stories with no political narrative. In this current climate, the strong woman would be a mary sue, the black person would be marginalised in some way and always preachy. The drama would be standard teen drama such as: "Why didn't you tell me? You're supposed to trust me! I can't believe you hid this from me for two days! I can never talk to you again and will now sleep with my lesbian friend in a haze of emotional distress."

Sounds like you just enjoy your own anger with this tv show that is no longer on the air.

>These were just stories with no political narrative.

>everything before 2000 was sweet and pure and catered to my dream of white male domination

You are a damaged, and sad motherfucker

In the original movie human bodies were completely repairable, even from death. The TV show had to destroy that with the whole Goa'uld symbiotic bullshit.

In the show they can still bring back people from the dead and prevent aging, with the Goaul'd sarcophagus, but they don't fully understand how it works, and neither do the Goaul'd and it has nasty side effects, and that's why they can't adapt it into medical technology for use on earth.

Well, in this thread we're discussing why it isn't being done, which seems relevant as to why the TV show version was completely distortion of basic logic.
Fiction of technology is one thing, but I'm referring to basic logic that you're expected to ignore in order to accept the show's fictional reality.

MGM, and Showtime wanted a good "Star Trek" ish show to air at the time, and it worked for a bit, but eventually it wore it self out. Its purpose killed itself.

The original Stargate was based on Erich von Däniken's Chariots Of The Gods, which is an interesting concept, that works well, but ruined itself in an episodic TV version. Such stories demand completely the journey not spinning endlessly.

>Such stories demand completing the journey not spinning endlessly.

>Such stories demand completely the journey not spinning endlessly.
I get that, and I think that's the way they should (have?) ended it, by getting to the time periods we see during forward time travel where everything is public and the galaxy is united in peace and bla bla bla.

They also nodded to the unlikelyhood of discovery with the wormhole extreme episodes, and in this very episode one character says that if something is really unlikely and you worry that the audience isn't going to suspend disbelief enough to believe it, you can just lampshade it, by mentioning in the show how it's unlikely and noone would believe it.

So yeah. Of course it doesn't really make sense, and they actually acknowledge it in the show. But it's fun.

You must have been dropped on your head as a baby.

>But it's fun.

Well, I can understand that too. I mean I DESPERATELY want another Star Trek:TNG kind of ST again, but looks as if it ain't gonna happen.

I've got TNG going on in the background right now, and I still love watching it more than most all new movies, and TV show of our current time. I loved both ST:TOS, and TNG. Still love them, and crave something like that, that isn't like any of the shows currently on Syfy.

I truly miss having a show that actually inspired me, had this optimistic future.
I think today's audience is too cocky, a bunch of geeks that complain if something is forward, or direct. To today's geek it needs to be "politically correct", close up shots you can barely see anything but the actor's sweaty pores. Shakey cam shit, altered colors that make me sleepy...
I don't know why these show can't be done anymore. They were fun.
I don't know. The entire industry is dismal. Everyone's pretend offended, and it's all so boring.

I've been on a TNG binge myself and not only is there a dearth of that kind of optimism but also of just the general feeling of camaraderie. All these new sci fi shows feel like such a waste of ensembles because everyone hates each other and no one trusts anyone.

>The TV show had to destroy that with the whole Goa'uld symbiotic bullshit.

The Sarcophagus was shown many times to bring people back from the dead in SG1.

However, its revealed in one episode where (surprise) Daniel gets killed and revived like 20 times with a Sarcophagus that being brought back from the dead really fucks with your brain and makes you extremely paranoid and amoral... basically implying that the whole reason the Goa'uld are so fucked up to begin with is because thousands of years of Sarcophagus use has given them brain damage and/or fucked up their culture.

GOOLD?

Hammond

>motions hand above head

Of Texas

There was a plan for continuation. Didn't you watch the Ark movie? That was the blueprint to basically three seasons of Stargate.

Think about this. In the movie, the IoA releases the Replicators because of how it's basically impossible to win against the Ori. They know they're fucked and it's the last ditch effort to get two forces to fight each other, even though it's absolutely insane.

Magic versus robots.
And then you get the Wraith involved.

So you have a four way multi galatic spawning war between the Ori, the Wraith, the Tauri, and the Replicators.

Tell me you wouldn't watch three seasons of this war.

It's too late to continue Stargate. I would like one final clip show movie. The final movie they had planned was about O'neill revealing the Stargate program to the public while he talks about all the show's exploits.

>Enjoy SG-1
>Watch other shows / play video games
>See/hear Tony
>Pang of displeasure knowing the characters he is portraying aren't as good as Master Bra'tac

It's almost criminal he was stuck voicing Father in Fallout 4. The idea of killing a character played by Tony Amendola is a greater moral dilemma than the in-game story reasons for killing the character itself.

>It's too late to continue Stargate. I would like one final clip show movie. The final movie they had planned was about O'neill revealing the Stargate program to the public while he talks about all the show's exploits.

Right but first we need a movie to wrap up Atlantis where they find a way for the Wraith to live peacefully with humans like they did with the Jaffa and the humans in the milky way, and where they move the stargate to Atlantis, and Atlantis to the moon.

And then the SG1 movie you said.

And then if that works, well, surprise, the Destiny crew didn't die in the cryopods and we get a SGU continuation or movie.

Fallout 4 is for plebs

There was a planned movie for Atlantis where basically Atlantis had a bomb. So they go back to the Pegasus galaxy and... ???????

Yeah I know I follow Joseph Malozzi around on the internet and read everything he writes.

He replied to a comment I made in the stargate subreddit once.