The Warcraft film should've been Arthas' story

The Warcraft film should've been Arthas' story.

>It's much more personal.
>It could've established the world for normies without the need for grand faction battles and exposition.
>It could've been split in 2 parts even - one up until Stratholme or killing Mal'Ganis in Northrend, the other until his final days.
>Cinematic as fuck scenes everywhere - Invincible's death, meeting little Varian, training with Muradin and Uther, the actually developed Jaina romance, and the final inevitable descent into madness - zombies to necromancers to killing civilians; his father and so on.

Instead we got a shitty faction vs faction "war is hell" establishing Hobbit tier movie with better CGI at least.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=eEEd9xR5K_Q
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

i agree with you

bump

I agree. It was a colossal mistake not to immediately get to the stuff that appeals to the WoW crowd. They were too autistic for their own good and it blew up on their faces.

Could Skyrim be a movie?

no spooky skeletons allowed on chinese screens

I mean, it still would have been a shitfest of lore nerd pandering with trash acting that lacked pacing.

Picking a different game story doesnt make the people behind it any better.

>b-but muh nostalgia for an average tier dnd campaign story

Agreed, user. Hopefully they'll get to it.

the movie was a retelling of the Warcraft 1 story with Warcraft 3/WoW aesthetics, something we've never seen before. We already got Arthas' story with Warcraft 3 aesthetics. It was called Warcraft 3

It wouldn't have worked. Too much pre requisite and schema would be missing. You are jumping into the third warcraft game (and an expansion too).

Everyone and their mother wanted to just see Arthas' story told, purely because everyone fawns over WC3 more than any of the WC games. I agree with the choice to start from the very beginning.

The only thing I don't agree with is amount of things left unexplained in the first movie and the fact that apparently Gul'dan has the power to infuse anyone with fel magic as opposed to the entire ritual of drinking a demon's blood, etc. Which, along with all of that being left behind also kind of cut out Sargeras and who he was and all that, to help flesh out WHY the fel was such a terrible thing.

I know there's like a single line alluding to Sargeras, but there could've been much more.

well, if they started out with arthas all the non warcraft fans would have been like who the fuck is that, why is he doing that, why are they allies, who the fuck is khadgar, who the fuck is medivh, who the fuck is sargeras, who the fuck is kelthuzad, who the fuck is illidan

by starting at the beginning regular people can watch it and understand whats going on

this is like batman begins or fellowship of the ring of warcraft movies and it will get better. just calm the fuck down

>Arthas story in one movie
Nah would have to be a trilogy

>tfw the sequel will be the boring-ass Second War

fellowship of the ring literally starts in a world with 4000+ years of intricate history preceding it

turning the orcish invasion into background info was perfectly possible

But Batman Begins and FotR actually engaged audiences and made them care about what was to come. In both cases the source material was already well-known and highly regarded so people were willing to invest in the trilogies.

Warcraft doesn't have this. Outside of hardcore fans, people were going to be confused by unfamiliar characters anyway so they might as well have picked the more interesting characters and at least try to hook in new audiences rather than assume people will flock back to watch sequels just because it happens to be a trilogy.

You faggots are all fucking stupid. The Warcraft movie story was chosen because it was being promoted along with Legion, that's why they chose that part of lore. It's fucking simple to understand.

if they do it right battle for blackrock mountain could be damn great
orcs driven to desperation assassinate the alliance leader hoping it will demoralize them
instead the humans unleash the mother of all berserker rages and drive them back through the portal they came from

>He thinks Blizzard has so much pull that they could arrest THAT much control away from both the studios and the director

And if that were the case, the movie would have had a more massive marketing campaign than Legion did, and Legion had a gigantic campaign behind it. Also, Illidan was used in every piece of said campaign, Gul'dan only a little bit here and there. Illidan is not present in that movie in any way.

A lot of flaws to that theory, man.

>The Warcraft movie story was chosen because it was being promoted along with Legion
>literally not one character in the movie is in Legion except for Gul'dan from another timeline that doesn't really show up in Legion at all

You are so fucking retarded I'm not even going to bother.

The only "retarded" person in the room is the one who walks into said room shouting at everyone else and how stupid they are without an ounce of coherent logic behind them nor the ability to maintain composure.

Come on, man...

When will the trend of pushing to make origin stories end? Does anyone even like to sit through those?

Anyway, rented the movie from Redbox recently and it was entirely forgettable. Syfy tier costume/set design, writing, and acting made the human parts look like a midbudget cosplay, and for all that was made of the orcs they looked worse than Blizzard's game cinematics. It felt so halfassed and really doesn't deserve a sequel.

Illiidan had a better arc
>cucked
>betrayed
>crawled in his skin
>created an army of ugly alt-right elves
Literally /ourguy/

I don't believe we'll get an arthas movie until 2020, if there will even be a sequel after that shitfest of movie.

Actually, Duncan has said he wants the sequel to follow a young Thrall.
My guess is that it would open with the destruction of Stormwind, and maybe cover a bit of the 2nd war, but not much.

Wacraft's further movies cinematic draw is obviously going to be CGI orcs, nobody gives a fuck about a blonde fuccboi putting Anakin on his dad

yeah lets start a film series in the middle on the story. Great idea!

Arthasfags are LITERALLY the biggest plebs

all they had to do was make the orcs evil and have the humans win. could have saved the sympathetic orcs story for another movie.

Yes but not a very interesting story in the whole scheme of Elder Scrolls

no its boring as fuck

OP's right, that's what they should have done, but I think it's obvious they wanted to tie in with the current expansion as much as possible. They wanted Gul'dan in for sure, and to piggyback off the several orc heroes from WoD expansion. They were probably also thinking about having stories for future films, but that's not going to happen now.

Really, the first Warcraft film should have released like ten years ago. They missed the boat in terms of films as most people have moved on.

You can't just jump to Arthas becoming the lich king.

It would raise too many questions:

Who's Nerzhul?
Whats a Kel'Thuzad?
Whats a lich?
Why is Arthas going evil?
Who's this illidan guy?
Why has he got wings and others dont?
What the fuck are these spider-people?
Why did the sword kill that dwarve guy?
If hes got magic, cant he just heal Strathome?
Why is uther being a douche?
Why is jaina being a bitch?
What the fuck is an archimonde?
why are there all these demons?
Why is this grom dude so hated by night elves?
Why does this thrall dude give a fuck?
Whats a kalmidor?
Holy shit, are those cow people edible?
Why do the trolls act like jamicans?
Why are gnomes so fucking annoying?
How did sylvanas get her willpower back?
Why does no-one stop arthas?

They need the pre-requisite stories before arthas, the next movie has to be WC2 then we can be hype as fuck for WC3 the movie, and I'll go see it multiple times.

Duncan wan'ts it to be about thrall, so i assume itll be a few gladiator matches then him escaping durnholde keep, then meeting ogrim etc etc, establishing a new horde, ending with him getting a vision from medhiev about the burning legion being on its way to azeroth.

that pic makes arthas look like a big retard

>>He thinks Blizzard has so much pull that they could arrest THAT much control away from both the studios and the director
what
how do you imagine the movie got made? the studio/director didnt walk up to blizz hq and say "sup fag im gonna make a warcraft movie and theres nothign you can do about it"

thats uther dumbass

No it's not. Uther left before Strathome was burned by Arthas. He refused the order and took his paladins away. Then Jaina left too.

Dont be so autistic. you could not include most of that.

So, you'd have a heavily abridged arthas story with no background from previous movies to make sense of it.

So what you want isnt the arthas story at all.

>Everyone and their mother wanted to just see Arthas' story told
stupid faggot opinions

You need these things to keep the Arthas story:
>MalGanis
>Ner Zhul
>Frostmourne background
>scourge background

Those all have to do with the legion. Which is even more complicated.

>More Orc shit

I sure fucking hope not. He'd be shooting himself in the foot if so.

How did he fall again?

I would say this was when shit got retarded and blizzard writers fucked themselves.

>implying he isn't

But the orcs were the best part of the movie.

>tfw seeing this for the first time
Warcraft movie is small time.
youtube.com/watch?v=eEEd9xR5K_Q

No you're right; Khadgar, Mediv, Kharazan & green magic would be completely unfamiliar to a person playing Legion.

You could easily have condensed that in movie form though.

this is a huge problem . You need to appeal to chinks or they don't give you money to make your movie.

Who is Arthras? What is Stratholme? Who is Mal'Ganis and where is Northrend and also what is Northrend? Who is Invincible? Who are Varian, Muradin, Uther, and Jaina?

Do you video game fanatics really expect anyone to understand what the heck you are talking about?

What a stupid image, Arthas wasn't the kind of sissy faggot to break down crying after purging Stratholme and he was completely convinced he did the right thing the entire time

This is nu-male revisionism

Should have been a World of Warcraft film. I mean there are fucking DRUIDS. How the hell do you have druids and decide not to include them in the movie? Orcs are fuckin' boring.

Sounds based, what was Blizzard thinking?

The story about Arthas has too few orcs in it, they want to play it 50/50 Horde/Alliance

>just got away from Metzen and his orc wank after he retired
>we are going to get orc wank in the movies now and in the future

FUCK

Druids are fucking gay

DUDE NATURE LMAO
DUDE MUH SPIRIT ANIMAL LMAO

This shit is worse than capeshit.

Sadly, probably this. Warcraft did very well in China and this would've cost them hundreds of millions of dollars.

Arthas story is boring and typical, not that this was better it's just that his story is extremely edgy, and his character, and predictable, and very very edgy, with an extremely edgy character and dialogue, at least that's how it was presented in the Warcraft 3 cinematics.

Glad you could bake it, Uther

>WC movie is based around Arthas
>gripping story
>flawless acting and oscar-worthy cinematography & score
>the last 10 minutes consist of him being beaten to death by 25 finnish guys yelling "usso taunta!"

You should read the book. It shows you just how filled with doubt he is his entire life. The decisions he makes are really hard in his mind, but in the game he only speaks when he's decided, that's why it sounds edgy

Top fucking kek, after the kill in the credits they show them rifling trough his corpse for the epics.

>Why is Arthas going evil?
What in the world do you think a movie about Arthas' story would be about?

Also you don't need to explain every little fucking detail in a movie. It's enough to establish that Archimonde is a big demon in charge of things that they're supposed to summon into the world, which should be a pretty easy bit and short bit to cover. You don't need to explain that he's an Eredar, friends with Killy Jade and Velen, the fifth son of Gilgamesh and was born June 7th -4423 Before Arthas or whatever the fuck other information about the character that is essentially irrelevant to the plot of the movie that is Arthas descent into evil.

If they did this they wouldn't be able to cast "muh viking" Ragnar boyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Totally agree with you. This movie was complete crap and I am sick of all these faggots riding wannabe viking cock.

Lich Kings story is already airing. It's called Game of Thrones

He clearly voted for Trump

>Arthas
>evil

Huh. Always thought it was a Warhammer movie they made. Sucks

Every single one of these questions could be addressed in the first five minutes of a half decent story

>warcraft story gets good at 3
>lets movietize 1 instead
>few are even that familiar with the story that far back

If they had done that you would all be bitching about how they skipped the quintessential Warcraft story.

oh and it was full of retarded changes
>whole garona character
>baby thrall
>what the fuck is his name at the end just walks away from the orcs after for some reason being let to best one in a duel (this was bad because the ending matters the most)

in fact pretty much all of the changes were retarded, the only thing the movie had going for it was that CG has gotten so good that watching garbage unfold in beautiful CG is somehow enjoyable

but the quintessential warcraft story IS the story of Arthas, it was when it actually became a story instead of a backdrop

and that of Thrall, all we got now was a green gugugaga weird uncanny valley CG baby

It's faggots like you who didn't support the first movie now we'll never get a trilogy you piece of shit. kys yourself

It's the better story but I think the Invasion needs to be told first.

This.

When I first heard there was going to be a Warcraft movie, I assumed they would be doing the story of Warcraft III. But nooooo....

>the movie had warcraft 3 graphics

you might want to get checked for retardation

that movie wouldve had to be released in 2008 though, considering the movie is just an ad for the game

>now we'll never get a trilogy

are you sure about that?

>Warcraft did very well in China
... no, not at all really. Most of the money it made, it made in china, but chinese box office was only around 300 million, and wanda still dogged legendary hard on that, for wanda/china pretended they didn't own legendary and treated warcraft like a foreign production, so legendary still only got about 20% of that. Not to mention legendary had the pleasure of having their chinese owners look at them with a straight face and act like they didn't just pocket 240 million like it was cool.

>You should read the book
No, this is not true at all. No one should read commissioned video game fiction.

>graphics
>aesthetics

... son, you have the dumbs.

Are you implying I didn't go to the cinema? Because I was there on premiere night.

Don't let me take that tone with you, Uther

it is the best story but it would not fit into the runtime.
>world for normies
adding blood elves or other undead factions, demon lords, etc would have been too much for them and while you do Arthas you would also have to touch on illidan. it may work as 3 movies and even then people would see the first movie as meh so there would be no squeals

>Whats a lich?
guy that orders other dead
>Why is Arthas going evil?
he wants power to save his people but the power over takes him harder than vader.
>Why has he got wings and others dont?
demon blood
>why are there all these demons?
because. Do you ask such things when going into priest and other such films?
>Holy shit, are those cow people edible?
cut them and most of the other shit.
>Why does no-one stop arthas?
I think "I will hunt you till the ends of the earth" will be the most remembered line. Im assuming it would end with illidan stopping him

You would have change storyline to be more linear e.g. Alduin manipulating both sides of civil war and Dragonborn being neutral and trying to stop him. Also no backstory of Imperials and Elves - for the movie they all would have to be from Skyrim to not make everything too convoluted

>the other until his final days
Fuck off. WotLK is not canon. WoWfags should kill themselves

the story was zzzz tier

that's why all the
>didn't even do the main story
memes

If Wacraft 1 was about Arthas it would have meant the following movies couldn't have compared.

Warcraft 2 being about Arthas means more people will like it and go see Warcraft 3.

This is why Warcraft failed. The writers thought the exact same thing and made up for an uninteresting piece of shit.

>cut everything that's complicated
>barely explain anything
>the fans will get it
>surprised the movie can't stand on its own and is a complete mess storywise

well its all interconnected. how would you have done it?

the film should've been Rexxars campaign from TFT

More exposition.

There is no time

Watch your tone with me, boy. You may be the waiter, but I'm still your superior as a chef.