Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

Likes/Dislikes?

The new characters and storyline, almost no ties to Harry Potter series

Almost all the creature and set designs as well as some of the special effects

Eddie Redmayne's and Ezra Miller's performance as autistic wizards

Dislikes:
The magic parasite looked to abstract and didn't really make any sense. I would have really liked it to have been more humanoid looking. The African American goblin was nightmarish.

The needless rihno scene and electric chair scene

The mournless death of Credence and the obliteration of Jacob

What were your likes/dislikes?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/I_S_TbD1XFM
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Didn't see it.

Will never see it until it enters the piratesphere.

Dislikes:

Haven't seen it.

Will never see it unless it's available to pirate.

He's basically a less chatty Doctor Who. One of the friendlier doctors.

Fuck spoilers
Liked the parasite, some shots were "confusing" during close ups, but moving trough ny and shit looked good
The goblin and the president felt forced, but at least goblin has some good music, and its just 1 scene
Disliked Greenwhich or whatever his name is, Depp being Depp

Most of creature designs

Obscurials

Dislikes:
MACUSA

Graves is Grindelwald twist

I really liked more than HP 1 and that was my favorite movie of the series, Rowling created a great universe in which there are almost infinite stories to tell

Likes: Its HP without Harry, Rhino scene was good although unnecessary
Dislike: zero reaction from the death of credence and the big bad was grindelwand

>Rowling writing good death scenes
Yeah, good luck with that. David Yates shares her lack of spectacle and emotional depth when it comes to moments like that.

Liked: OST and everything else
Disliked: Depp 100%

I just wish Manu Bennet played Graves.

This movie was incredibly white, what does WB have against minorities being in their movies?

>Shapeless cloud of energy as the villain
When will this meme end?

>the part where Kowalski stepped into the rain by choice

made me well up

The climax was fucking terrible
>We'll we absolutely fucked
>Eddie Redmayne: "No where not! Because I have barely aforementioned plot resolution device"
>Everything works out
How the fuck did that resolve Shaw's death?

president of MACUSA is a female black
head executioner is a female black
half of the aurors aka wizard police is black

the president is a black bitch with her own tumblr

So what were the black wizards doing during Jim Crow, just watching silently?

>black wizards giving a fuck about coon non-mags

they were playing with magic and generally enjoying life

Katherine Waterston casts magic on my cock

>pleasantly surprised about close to everything
>Jacob lack of spells that detract from the ones we'd already seen: I'm tired of only seeing Alohamora, Petrificus totalus, Stupefy, Protegio being used over and over
>Graves being Grindelwald: considering that Grindelwald will start WWII sooner or later, it would've been nice to see that he has actually has sympathizers in the wizarding world like Graves (also super disappointing to see the mighty Grindelwald being defeated by a bird when apparently his duel with Dumbledore is the greatest one ever)
>Johnny Depp is Grindelwald, fuck Depp

>Eddie Redmayne's
Was the vibe he'd intended giving off?

Because I heavily identified with him:
>"most people usually find me boring" :o

>Eddie Redmayne's [...] performance as an autistic wizard*

>I thought they won't be able to make a decent movie in the HP universe without the Harry/Voldemort storyline, or at least without mentioning them at least 20 times during the movie. But they did it, I think it came out great.
>The whole America atmosphere wasn't forced.
>Ezra and especially Redmayne were god-tier.
>Nice music.
>Generally nice visuals, they mixed the almost cartoonish vibe of the original HP visuals with the '20s really good.
Dislikes:
>The effects sometimes were a little bit off.
>The cuts during a few scenes, especially the action seems were a little bit confusing.
>Newt's and Tina's relationship hasn't been built up properly, but I guess it wasn't the main focus of the movie.

Which sister was better?

Asking the obvious.
>Queenie

The Grindelwald twist
New concepts
Setting
Music
Cinematography
All the performances
Comfy as fuck
The dialogue

Dislikes:
Muggle clothes on wizards
Wands are basically magical guns

Is based Dan Fogler good in this movie?

>Likes manlets

Dropped

Ah, so it's a full blown reddit film.

Really fucking shitty movie

Both main characters act like 6 year olds fr beginning to end. The entire movie is propelled by child like logic at an ADD pace. Has way too much retarded shit like wizard death penalty, overt sexual innuendos, horrifying child abuse monsters, and sexy black house elves to even stay kid friendly. 4/10 at best for the visuals and the muggle guy for being such a bro.

The creature design was cool
The citizen Kane homages
Action generally well shot
Dislikes
Tonal shifts (going right from light-hearted adventure trying to catch rhino with tumor to man being brutally murdered in public)
Deus Ex Machina ending
The "twist" with Grindelwald
New York sets looked super cheap and fake

Overall would recommend going to see Mister Doctor instead

all the wizards in america see themselves as fundamentally different than non-magical people, they see the non-magics in the same way that whites saw nigs, this was pretty obvious with the "no marrying non magics" rule

Terrible film, but what do you expect? Harry Potter was easily one of the dullest franchise in the history of movie franchises. Each episode following the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the seriesüf only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody?just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for her books. The Harry Potter series might be anti-Christian (or not), but itüfs certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least the books are g-g-good though
"No!"
The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King

they should have just focused on the fantastic beasts stuff and left out credence. the witch burning stuff and the politics stuff. seriously, wtf was even the point in following the politics character and his father? tina's sister gave me a raging boner. 6/10 desu

you were a little late

So why he was a "bad guy", he was much better than president of American wizards. And him taking on all wizards alone after Credence death, seems like he only one who was angry that they simply killed him

>wtf was even the point in following the politics character and his father?
i feel like they may return, since Grindewald's whole plan is to encourage divide between magic and non-magic people, plus with Jacob its established that people can remember things from before their obliteration

I fucking despise Harry Potter, this was actually good though.

Way better setting, no kids, cool creatures, good CGI and some more adult humour. A much better family experience and not something only for millenials.

how many more of this are they making? 4? i assume they're all sequels to one another, not other spinoff stories.

He wanted to set the monster loose on the non-mag population, to start a war.

Yeppers, and I'd presume that they're all about leading up to Grindelwald's duel with Dumbledore by the end of WWII, and how Grindelwald begins that war.

A shame that I can't respect Grindelwald now that he'll be played by Depp.

It was for millennials. It was for people aged 18-30 who grew up with Harry Potter

beside that he is much more humane than wizards of US community. He's ONLY ONE who cared to look for child who's obscurial is going around rampaging while everyone else done jack shit

His entire plan though was to use that child as a weapon and he very clearly did not care about the well-being of the child at all.

>He's ONLY ONE who cared to look for child who's obscurial is going around rampaging while everyone else done jack shit
Except that he was searching for it only in the hopes that he'd incite it to cause that much more damage and start a war.

I'd hardly call that humane...

>Shaw for no good reason just turns on the kid so his obscura can kill him because the plot demands it
>The characters are threadbare at best

I have to say that the tone of the movie did not at all match it's content, it felt like it was written for kids but then you see people being obliterated, Shaw dying a fairly violent death, Credence getting shit on by everyone around him then dying a painful death. It's also bleedingly obvious that Graves is the villain from the first second you see him.

I never cared for harry potter, the books or the movies, but I always liked the setting, so seeing more of that universe was great, shame about the rest of the movie. I feel like it's made for children, but kids would be bored as fuck by this movie.

>fantastic breasts and where to find them
what did she mean by that?

>Liked
Inside The Briefcase
Hardly any references to "Harry Potter" as a whole
Creature designs were 100% d o p e
Kowalski was a boss

>Disliked
Pacing
Ezra Miller
Grindelwald

Only going to watch this because Eddie makes me hard as diamond with his awkward frog face.

>non hypersphere image
wtf man

if you're a fag or a tumblr hambeast the movie is perfect for you, there are so many shots featuring redmayne's hideous frog mouth DSLs

They ever explain why/how Scamander realized there was something off about Graves at the very end to warrant using that final spell?

This is original

I just watched this too and I spent the entire trailer repeating the words "This is reddit, this is memes, this is reddit, this is memes..." under my breath.

I fucking hated it. I was writhing around on the floor in front of my seat for the last 30 seconds it was so painful.

>Ayy quirky fairy movie lmao
If you liked it you're in the wrong place

>Scamander realized there was something off about Graves at the very end to warrant using that final spell?
I suppose:
>whoah am I hearing Grindelwald's whole rethoric spewing out of this guy's mouth?
>*draws wand* well lol just to be sure

Though had it been me, I would've been content with simply filing him as a Grindelwald sympathizer, as they were eventually bound to be some, rather than Grindelwald himself.

Why even have Graves be Grindelwald? Couldn't he just be a follower of Grindelwald?

>"This is reddit, this is memes, this is reddit, this is memes..."
>caring this much about a website that isn't your own

Clearly it is you, old friend, who art Reddit and is so pitifully striving to convince us that you are not part of them.

The movie was surprisingly good, and I would not alter my opinion one bit if I discovered that Reddit also adored it, because that's what fags do.

Finally someone who thinks like me: But rather than that, and discovered how hugely fragmented the wizarding opinion was on treating muggles, with some rallying to Grindelwald and some to Dumbledore, we had to have a "noooo wizards dindu nuffin, only bad wizard is Grindelwald trust me ;)"

Weird that you would be proud of your emotional tantrums.

That's probably the best explanation. "Gravenwald" might have stated something word-for-word as Grindelwald and that could have given him suspicion. Or maybe it's the fact that Graves was ridiculously good at magic.

But yeah, it would have been better if Colin was a general in Depp's army rather than being the big bad himself.

Which makes me wonder, was there ever a real Graves that might have been killed to infiltrate the MACUSA?

yeah it was kinda ridiculous desu, they could have revealed he was in direct contact with grindewald even, if they wanted to go that far

yeah there'd have to be a real graves, cause he was the 2IC it seemed

>it would have been better if Colin was a general in Depp's army rather than being the big bad himself.
Especially since being defeated by a bird comes across as slightly underwhelming for the only ever wizard in the world to have sparred with Dumbledore, and to have almost known victory there.

Is a bird better than Dumbledore?

Yup, plus it would've pushed around the analogy with terrorism further. Much like ISIS, Grindelwald doesn't commit his own terror attacks but rather delegates them to those who have shown themselves to think like him.

The only thing I appreciate that I might come this is that we might have a dope prison break from Azkaban for Grindelwald in the sequel.

Always hoped we'd see Azkaban in more detail.

It kind of feels like they were trying to do the same thing they did in the first Harry Potter, but

1) They didn't make it obvious Quirrell was a baddie, whereas it was clear early on Graves was a baddie.

2) They did a lot to build Voldemort as a villain. People don't say his name because they're so scared of him, and he's got a connection with Harry because he killed Harry's parents and gave Harry the scar. Grindelwald is just sort of a bad wizard that they're looking for, and he wants to start a war, but there's never that moment where a character goes "who is Grindelwald" and this gets explained to them (and thus to us). I saw it with friends and none of them knew who Johnny Depp was supposed to be.

3) The reveal of Voldemort in the first Harry Potter was fucking great (and, honestly, pretty damn scary for a kid's flick). Grindelwald gets a Scooby Doo unmasking.

That because you're not Sup Forums. You're more than likely a pleb from Sup Forums or the Dr who general

>That because you're not Sup Forums.
More Sup Forums than you'll ever be, boy.

Dislike:
>EVERYTHING

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them Part 1 of 5 is more than just a bad film. It's deeply disturbing. The global seizure of culture by vast corporate entities is finally complete. The latest wizard franchise product arrived to much critical acclaim (78% Rotten Tomatoes), reflecting nothing more than the total success of a decades-long effort to suppress critical thinking through meticulous control of the press and the intentional degradation of the education system.

YIFY when?

>The only thing I appreciate that I might come this is that we might have a dope prison break from Azkaban for Grindelwald in the sequel.

Wait what? Grindelwald was arrested in this movie? in PoA it's a pretty big deal that no one has escaped Azkaban before Sirius Black.

There was absolutely no childrens book content in it apart from references to Hogwarts and Dumbledore. This is an enjoyable movie for everyone to be honest, Kermode was also praising of it and he's 53

Well I will concede that mabe he's incarcerated in the American prison and not Azkaban.

But true, this breaks with the lore if it is Azkaban where he's headed.

nice big ol nipples

Fuck, from the spoilers I got the impression that Grindelwald escaped after revealing himself. What exactly went down in the climax?

cedric's death and aftermath are pretty fucking spot on

It didn't.

The sins of the magical community build. One day, there will be a mistake too large to hide.

War with the muggles will come.

(It's the next logical step, magic vs. tech set in the near future... but Rowling would never go there)

this is the best pasta we've had in a long time

Any time they did the POV shots of Credence the first thing that came to mind was fucking Evil Dead.

Was I the only one to notice not once, but I believe 3 times you see that Redmayne's wand is hollow? They didn't even give him a good prop wand.

>What exactly went down in the climax
Credence (Ezra Miller) was revealed to be the monster.
Graves (Colin Farrell) was searching for it to make it a weapon.
Tina fights Graves while Scamander chases the obscura in an underground train station.
Graves follows Scamander and fights him.
The MACUSA president and aurors arrive to kill Credence.
Graves attacks the good guys.
Scamander disables Graves and dispels his disguise.
Graves turns out to be Grindelwald (Johnny Depp).
Grindelwald is arrested.

New story, non full dependent on Harry Potter saga
Good special effects
The beginning, with those newspapers and the dark logo.
OST was not bad
Eddie Redmayne
Final twist
The Death hallows necklace
Dislikes:
Grindewald appearance. Too outlandish
Suitcases interchange was too predictable.
Aparition of Depp as Grindewald was a little forced. I expected him to escape at the end or something.
Similar to The Hobbit, this film has no much about the main argument. Its noticeable that they want to milk the saga with no1 film but 5
The spells were all the same spell special effect
Accio spelled without saying what you want.
No explanation for how Grindewald managed to be Graves.
A little Deux Ex-Machina final
3 times the same resource in the sagas:
Quirrel, Moody, and know Graves

Think it's supposed to look like that, brah.

So... did Grindelwald have the Elder wand at this point?

If he did, is Newt/Tina the new master of the wand?

I mean, Harry became the master of the wand simply by wrestling with Draco Malfoy.

I identified so much with Jacob in this movie.

>We're both fat guys
>We both love to bake
>We both wish we could be something more
>We both fall for hot girls way out of our league.

He was more than an audience surrogate for me. He was literally me. I really want to make a 1920's outfit just to cosplay him at cons but without a Newt to follow around I doubt anyone would get it.

>3 times the same resource in the sagas:
>Quirrel, Moody, and know Graves

That's just a classic whodunnit. The first 4 Potter novels all had misleading, hidden villains.

New best girl

Please. She's been my crush ever since: youtu.be/I_S_TbD1XFM

That's Queenie Kowalski to you!

aOOOOga

Literally Mary-Sue

It has colorful and interesting creatures in it, shit was dope.

testing
testing

Hello tumblr numale

Liked
Main characters
Creatures
Animation(s)

Disliked
Story

I'd much more prefer it if the movie was about Newt trying to fight for tolerance of his creatures in the magical world.

Friendly reminder that Grindelwald did nothing wrong

The muggle infestation must be stopped

This movie had some good elements but it suffered from the same bizarrely incoherent pacing issues that were prevalent in Batman v Superman and Suicide Squad.

What the fuck is Warner Brothers doing? I don't understand why this is becoming a trademark of their major blockbuster films. Do all their editors have ADHD or something I don't get it.

>Do all their editors have ADHD or something I don't get it.

No but their audience does.

>being this incredibly dense

Was Scamander meant to be an autist? It's no surprise that Lestrange girl in school used him. Bet she funked his bullies in her down time and told him about it too.

The Grindelwald twist reeked of a last-minute addition to set up sequels.