Cary Fukunaga: "Cinema is dominated by white, middle-class males"

>Shooting in Ghana involved malaria, extortion, and near-death experiences. But that paled in comparison with trying to win funding for a ‘black’ film, says the director

>“There just wasn’t enough money and enough time in a country that isn’t used to hosting a film production like ours,” says Fukunaga. “So things that you take for granted like food, transport and hotels became an issue.” We were losing stuff and things were getting stolen.”

>“I think, in general, cinema is dominated by white, middle-class males,” he says. “That’s just fact.

>Does he think a whiter cast might have meant a smoother road to securing finance? “Yes, without a doubt,” he says quickly. As long as the films are about this white person’s issue and that white person’s issue, they’re going to continue to make those films.”

What did he mean by this?

Other urls found in this thread:

theguardian.com/film/2015/oct/15/cary-fukunaga-beasts-no-nation-netflix-interview
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Source: theguardian.com/film/2015/oct/15/cary-fukunaga-beasts-no-nation-netflix-interview

He's right though.

he's right

I always wondered why them black millionaires never fund the things black people want to see funded.

Maybe the reason we can afford to make so many films is that we don't steal everything that's not nailed down.

And?

Black millionaires dont get there acting like black. Yes i'm talking about the urban artist too, even if they try to pantomime the black culture.

They are equivalent of a black face without the paint.

they want a black director

>majority of burger population is white
>international audiences - including non whites only want to see white films
>waa why does no one want to watch my non white garbage

hmm, really makes you think

Damn, he's fine. Handsome for a man

I forgot to add, only a certain kind of black director, they wouldnt fund a Tyler Perry for example

>Jews/Whites build something
>"Give it to us"

Cause most black millionaires act like white people and usually hate other black people

>((((white, middle-class males))))

Yes
White middle class males are the largest target audience for cinema, so it's hard to get funding for things that don't appeal to them

This is a racial reality, not racism

>this is a controversial statement on Sup Forums
ffs

I'm eternally grateful that he made Beasts of No Nation. That film was fucking spectacular. ANd even with its extremely low-budget, I'm not surprised it was so hard to get funding - it's exactly what hollywood refuses to make

Is he just stating facts or is he insinuating that it's our fault niggers don't pay for shit?

There was a scene in Beasts where they're running and this black guy's semi-erect dick is hanging out. It runs like for 10 seconds too.

That's when I knew the director was a cuck.

Didn't help that the next scene was a gay rape scene.

Yes goyim those pesky middle class white people sure are holding hollywood hostage

>I should be entitled to funding for my shit films

Why do these people exist.

agu

be doing dis ting for me

>black actor gets cast in predominantly white-cast film/tv-show
>Sup Forums blows a gasket
>"REE make your own films!!!"

>An Asian-American adapts a book by a African author set in an African country with a 99% black cast
>struggles to secure funding
>film is amazing
>"REEE no one wants to fund your coon shit!"

>they wouldnt fund a Tyler Perry for example

This. Tyler Perry films are one of the most degrading things ever to black people

He meant he's insecure about his status and how he got there so he is lashing out at whatever target is hip right now, white people are the biggest target by far. Self hating people are scum.

DUH.

Because white people are mainly the audience? Why would I care about some niggers and their issues?

user, his dick wasn't semi-erect....
how can white bois even compete?

THIS IS WHY WE NEED COMMUNISM

SUPPLY AND DEMAND CANNOT ACHIEVE SOCIAL JUSTICE

Not sure what sort of point you're trying to make here, or contradictions you're attempting to point out?

It's like any system, once you make it, you end up trying to protect the system that lifted you up. Just look at T.I and Lil Wayne squabbling over BLM. Because people like Lil Wayne and he's rich, of course he isn't going to support a bunch of assholes tearing shit up.

I love directors crying they can't get funding for their projects that have no chance at making money in a country dominated by white people yet they're other countries and places to get financing.

We're not only ones making movies. Go to china bro, they'll let you peddle chinese propaganda movies and wushu and shit

Or go to europe and making shitty italian arthouse stuff.

He doesn't have to stay here. See all problems he's having in Ghana.

On the lack of funding available for Nicholas Winding Refn's films

>DUH.

>Because plebs are mainly the audience? Why would I care about some art-fags and their issues?

>go to western country mostly inhabited by white people
>complain about white people running it

Do people complain about too many Indian men in Bollywood? If they do, are they just as insufferable? All these people could fix their issues by just working in other countries.

that wasn't what I said

>Thursday 15 October 2015

This is old OP.

Why are you posting this?

>middle-class
what the hell is he talking about here? what the fuck is his definition of middle class?

I mean, white people have been making movies about how wacky Africa is forever.

He's hardly ushering in a new era of tolerance.

Are jews white or not!

Sup Forums won't be happy until there are no black people on screen and their excuses for why are just that, excuses
The real reason is insecurity at the prospect of successful black people

literally not true though

>complain about white people running it
But Sup Forums told me that jewish people weren't white...

the reason is because of people like you, you should be gassed.

Jews are Jewish

>go to western country mostly inhabited by white people

A good half if the US is also populated with other ethics. This is not necessarily a white country

It's almost as if there exist non-white countries that you could make your own movies in if they weren't shit.

Uh how do you think madea movies are funded

America is 75% white people.
Males watch more movies than females.

In a shocking twist most movies are focused around white dudes.

You can't be serious

Nah he's spot on. But given the context of our society, there's pretty much nothing THAT wrong with the way things are.

>75
ahahahahah

He's a fantastic director and writer and he is completely right.

Actually, there are too many minorities in cinema as it is.

And hispanics are too few in representation compared to nigs.

Isn't it kinda... Not so surprising that people would be reluctant to fund a film in a place where
>malaria, extortion, and near death experiences
are likely to happen?

All the people funding movies want is a return on their investment. "I never lost a dime on a film I declined to make" is the motto.
I'm not saying he shouldn't have made the movie, but if you're saying all this shit went down in the process, is it really even a racial issue?

>His father Anthony Shuzo Fukunaga was a third-generation Japanese-American, born in a Japanese internment camp during World War II,[3] who worked for a generator company and later for the University of California, Berkeley. His mother Gretchen May Grufman is Swedish-American
H A P A
S
Y .
N
D
R
O .
M
E

also sweden fucking yes

I love how obvious it is that the majority of posters haven't seen Beast of No Nation.

Yeah this, look up the film The Dead from 2010, they had a fucking miserable production and it had a white director and white lead actor

>HOW DOES THE CINEMA LOOK?
>ALL WHITE SIR!

>america
>white
top lel user
Wow great argument fagtron you sure convinced me with those hot opinions

as if hollywood has some kind of obligation to make movies for the entirety of the world. as if those countries and those people/races can't make their own movies in their own countries..

fuck off cunt

>75%

Lmao

It's around 40% (real)white at best. America lumps in mestizos, north africans, and middle easterners as white.

How the fuck is anyone working in film middle-class.

latino women are the biggest moviegoers

lol
What happened user? Did your oneitis get BLACKED?

t. nigger lover

Only the people at the top get paid well

"I THINK........."

"THAT'S JUST A FACT."

WHAT?????????!!!!!!!!!!!!

>We were losing stuff and things were getting stolen.”
>hurr it's the white man's fault

Why can't we secure funding to appeal to less than 10% of American and 0% of the world?

>Shooting in Ghana involved malaria, extortion, and near-death experiences.
why is Africa such a shithole?

>blacks stay almost exactly the same
God bless abortion

t. cuck

Right, so force the companies here to cater to your vision of how things should be rather than create functioning production studios abroad. Asians don't bitch because they make their own shit. Same with the industry below America and India.

Don't forget Italians man. There's a reason blue eyes were much more prevalent before they came.

The film deserved funding for the same reason PTA's films and Jaramusch's films deserve funding - because it was a goddamn masterpiece

No one's blaming the producers, I don't think. But when a low-budget film won't get funded because of box-office fears, the director/writer/actors are allowed to be frustrated

I don't even have to read this shit, I can tell what he's saying just by looking at his man-bun

they do. but also, being a millionaire isn't enough to fund a movie. no one wants to personally invest 40 million in something that could flop. you need backing from a corporation like a studio.

Because
>warring with other nations
>fucked by other nations for materials
>dictators are allowed to run free

You forgot:

>the population consists of low IQ, r-selected subhumans

delet this i'm not listening la la la

More like no proper edumahkation, quit memeing.

I agree but you can't say "no one gave me money cause the cast wasn't white" when it wasn't even about racism but about expected income of the film.

People actually liked this hack?

That was probably a factor. Hollywood producers are less likely to bank on a film like that without any major white actors in lead roles
The biggest actor was Idris Elba, and he hasn't actually demonstrated much box-office draw

If it had been set in Eastern Europe instead with a white actor of similar fame, I think the argument is that it would have been easier to get funding - which sounds plausible

I thought western cinema was dominated by jews

they're only jews when the film has a liberal message
when someone (assumedly) liberal is complaining at them, then they're white and based

No, they're still jews.

>Cinema is dominated by white, middle-class males

It's almost lie white middle-class males created the industry and made it what it is today.

Is his next big statement "Chinese Film is dominated by Asians"?

99% of successful, functional and wealthy blacks HATE other black people and prefer living in white communities.

He's not wrong though.

Every white person I've watched Beasts of No Nation with just didn't get it. They either couldn't relate to any of the characters or they got bored because lol not enough action XDDD

>"REEE no one wants to fund your coon shit!"

But that's true.
If it wasn't, why was it hard to get funding?

Typical Liberal logic.

>shit that never happened

>This is not necessarily a white country
Non asians live in plenty of asian countries.
Plenty of non-Indians live in India.

The point stands.

They only want "diversity" if it means "less white people".

Can someone please explain to me why it is ALWAYS the job of whites to give non-whites screen-time and acting roles?

Why is it never, ever blacks employing other blacks?

because muh slavery and jim crow laws

I guarantee you almost 95% of the people who saw this movie were white.

>jews
>white

I didn't say it wasn't true
The film did get funded so clearly someone wanted to fund it
I'm not a liberal but nice strawman

Typical cuckservative logic

>the people who pay to see movies dominate the film industry
GEE WHIZ THANKS CAPTAIN OBVIOUS!

Fuku Cary.

Who are you shouting at?
Are Jewish people white? Cause they make up the majority of investors
Is Carey Fukunaga black? Cause he's the one complaining about how hard it was to get funding

Did you even pay attention to what you're complaining about? Cause you look like an idiot
>inb4 you don't respond because you're too butthurt