I always wondered how did Castilla become the dominant region of Spain while nobody lived and still nobody lives here...

I always wondered how did Castilla become the dominant region of Spain while nobody lived and still nobody lives here except Madrid which is huge, but in the past when Castilla became the dominant region of Spain Madrid didn't exist.

In my opinion the Kingdom of Aragon had more chance to become the dominant region of Spain because it had more people and wasn't landlocked.

What do you think?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repoblación
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I don't know either

probably just luck with the loyal marriages

Their Moorish masters naturally preferred a desert for the capital.

>alicante-murcia

i guess if there is a correlation with furries

probably this, stronger reign gets to dominate the smaller one.

There was a mass exodus from the rural parts of the country to the cities, I suppose Castille was more populated back there. It's impossibru to find someone from Madrid whose grandparents don't come from another part of the country.

Please, you have nothing to say about settle cities in the desert, because you set up big cities in a litteral desert such as Las Vegas and Phoenix.

Castilla had the south, that was very rich and populated, very centralized government, almost an absolute monarchy (unlike Aragon) , very important centers of culture like Toledo, and a great propagation of the language thanks to the universities.

Good thread.

A combination of a couple of good treaties and foreign relations pacts with some military victories is your answer.

Also

Castile got the juicy stuff like Cordoba and the kingdom of Seville.

I didn't know Murcia was so rebel against the castilians. Interesting.

In medieval times castille have around 70% of spain population, thats all.

>In medieval times castille have around 70% of spain population, thats all.
Source
Why did that change like that?

He's talking about the Crown of Castille, which includes a bunch of other stuff.
Pay attention only to the Iberian Peninsula on this pic.

Shit, wrong pic.

had*

Yes, but that was after the conquests of Galicia, Asturies, Basque Country, Extremadura, Andalusia... Proper Castilla probably didn't have more than 15% of the population of Spain.

>castilla had the south
All castilla needed was burgos and toledo to slay moors night and day and any faggots who oppose our political rule.

Nah m8 it was way more than 15%.
Also Basque Country is not Crown of Castille.
Also most of those weren't conquered but inherited. They just had to counter some rebellions.

Galiciq was part of castile in 740ad.

Castile in the midle age was amazing. The civil war against Carlos V (revolt of the comuneros) destroy them politically. Then you have the centralization of the power in Madrid, the people who traveled to las Americas and the rural exodus in the XIX century. Spain killed Castile t b h.

>the people who traveled to las Americas
Why does this trigger me so much

The fuck are you talking about. Castile was only a county of Leon. It's not until the death of Fernando I that Castile got some importance, because he divided the kingdom among his children, only to later be united again with Leon under the empire of Alfonso VI

*part of Leon

Literally says right there in your pic that Castille was just a County and Leon was the Kingdom.

>the people who traveled to las Americas and the rural exodus in the XIX century.
It touched all the regions of Spain, not only Castilla.

Castile is the same as asturias and leon, same family

i don't know but it was one of the reasons of the inflation that make the empire fell... it was too soon to conquer the world. France had more of three times the population of Spain in that time

WRONG, I am pure Castillian.

The rural exodus yes, but only the people from the kingdom of Castile could travel to the New World. At least until the first bourbon king.

Any "andaluces" which didnt fucking exist because andalusia was exterminated from existence were from other parts of spain.

Nono, what triggered me was you not using proper English.

Extremadura isn't proper Castilla. It had been inherited

Other regions had better administration in that terms. As i told you the revolt of the comuneros made the king avoided the castilians and be more focused investing in Andalusia and the colonies

>but only the people from the kingdom of Castile could travel to the New World. At least until the first bourbon king.
Why?

The only entities were province of granada and then kingdom of castile

Because castillians are pure of blood.

Because the Americas belonged to the Crown of Castille.
Meanwhile the Crown of Aragon had Southern Italy.

Extremadura was colonized by castillians.

>let me tell you about your neighbouring country

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repoblación

Because "Spain" before the bourbons was only a dynastic union, so Navarra, Castilla and Aragon were separated kingdoms and the laws of one did not apply to the other. Colon proposed the voyage first to Fernando, the king of Aragon, but he refused, then he went to Isabel and she accepted thus making all the colonies in America property of Castilla

people from south Castille and canary islands emigrated to Mexico and Gran Colombia meanwhile Northern castilians migrated to southern cone (1800-1900) countries like Chile or Argentina.

That's explain architecture in those places, if you visit Mexico and colonial towns look like andalusia

well i gess you don't know about the castilian extremadura and who the settlers moved to the south

Wrong you subhuman

Extremadura wasn't colonized exclusively by Castille. It was partially a leonese conquest.

Can we please move this to /his/? Thank you.

Leon is the same as castile

It is not. It's part of the same Crown, but still a distinct kingdom.

True.

then you have Andalusia that basically exported their culture to Extremadura. Nowdays Extremadura is North Seville

Leon was a one of the kingdoms of the crown, the same thing with castile.
Leon, Galicia, Extremadura, Basque Country, Old Castile, New Castile, Extremadura, Andalucia (Seville and Cordoba) and Granada.

and kingdom of Murcia

Don't forget Murcia.

Castilla used to be more populated, there were internal migrations in Spain towards the coast and Madrid in the last 200 years.

A better question is why Leon got cucked by both Portugal and Castilla, which begun as counties of that kingdom.

also, before 1492, the most important economic activity in Iberia was herding sheeps in Castilla to sell the wool in future Belgium and Netherlands from the ports of the Cantabrian sea.

ok...

>A better question is why Leon got cucked by both Portugal and Castilla, which begun as counties of that kingdom.
The real question is how did Leon last so long? It started as a small rebellion in the North, it's surprising to see how long it lasted and how well it did for itself.

>before 1492
We WUZ conquering and pillaging African gold as soon as 1415, actually.

We started very early on.

In 1492 was when they discovered the island of Hispaniola, in the Indies.

they, sure. we, not so much.

What do you mean by cucked, leon was the sane as asturias it just changed name when capital was moved to leon, castile came from a inherentqnce split of sons, galicia was made for a son, castile was made for a son, leon was made for a son etc..
There is no "nation" cucking just inheritance and politics for upper class property and power.

Leon was originally the main chief crown and yet Castille gained more relevance and became the main Crown, hence the "cucking".

They are the same, just different names for different sons property, the extent of the lands caried wildly due to it all being part of the same family, until the permanent union of castile and leon which made the property be inherited all by 1 son.

Definitely not the same. Asturo-leonese and castilian are different languages. Very similar though.

^
he have to read more about the independece of Castile with the two legendary judges of Castile and Fernand Gonzalez. Somehow the north castilian culture have more basque influence than leonese, maybe because they didn't wanted to be similar to their old lords and their first king get married with a basque princess to make castile a kingdom

Who taled about languages?
It was all ruled by the same family, there was no differences in castile leon or galicia other than how the lands get inherited.

The people in those places were different. According to your own logic, all places in Europe were the same since all nobility married each other.

Also it just shows right there in your pic how Castille and Leon were separate before merging in 1230. Also charge your phone, man.

A bunch of basque settlers came to the regions that became Castille simply because Cantabria didn't have enough people.

The people are not different, the kingdoms were created by the same family.

The nation was the same.

One second leon could be ruler the next castile it didnt matter as it was all the same ppl and family.

Nope. Castille comes from Cantabria, Leon comes from the Asturias. And Portugal comes from Galicia. There was no notion of a "nation", only a bunch of places rebelling against the Moors. The nation appeared much much later.

The ruler of a place is not the same as that place.
Old French nobility was from Germanic origin, yet they learned to speak a Latin language and followed the culture (Roman Catholicism) already in place at that time.
Like it literally doesn't matter where the nobility comes from. A lot of times throughout history, a king gets replaced by another coming from a completely different region with very little effect on that region.

See

See

for that reason many castilian villages have basque names (and then castile give them fueros and now some of them want the independece because they think that they have an special and unique culture)

Todos nosotros somos espanyoles.

Also Garcia, a name of Basque origin, is the most widespread name in Spain and also somewhat common in Portugal.

Leon, Galicia and Cantabria came from the Asturias but the leoneses inherited the kingdom

Leon is a cultural and linguistical direct descendant of Asturias, just with a different name. Galicia and Cantabria however have different cultures and languages to the point where Galician was a language of poetry, for example.

some people says that old castilians were basques speaking latin. Castile was called Bardulia by the romans and the early kingdom of leon but many bardulos tribes were in west side of basque country

I want eternal evil Castilla to die and disappear

WE WUZ MOORS AND SHIT

I didn't know that. I knew that the "th" sound in Castillian (whenever you read the letters "z", or "c" before a vowel) is also said to come from Basque, but not the Bardulia thing.

Castilla started further north, in Cantabria.
union = strentgh

ok... thats right
it's fun that Fernando III made the castilian the official language of the crown and his son Alfonso X loved to write poems in galaico-portuguese... at least he made the first orthography and grammar books of the castilian language to try to make it easier to teach.

*it's funny

Castilian was more of a language of science and universities, I think.

Wasn't there someone that described Portugal as the country where people spoke the language of kings, and Spain (Castille?) where the kings spoke the language of the people.

Yes it is quite ironic.

I never heard that.

i don't but maybe its true, castilian was more practical and maybe in that times galaico-portuguese more noble and beautiful

>Catalan universities

Yeah, I think it was some writer.

So sad, for my ancestors to kill all the moors!

The national disgrace is not annihating every moor in the world and repopulating the land with iberians.

Incredible how Northern Portugal and Southern Portugal are quite similar (just a bit of more sephardic influence on the south).

delete yourself
they south shall raise again

Iberia can take all you filthy shitskins alone and destroy you all.

kek i remembered that some kings of Castile loved to have a humble image. Alfonso VIII, the king that fought in the battle of Las Navas de Tolosa, had folding crown made with cheap materials

>shitskin
you wish

we will finally break out of Castillian oppresion one day, and it will be sooner than later. And this time we will succeed