Did anyone else see Hacksaw Ridge this weekend?

Did anyone else see Hacksaw Ridge this weekend?

Holy fuck those battle scenes were incredible. Based Mel has given us a Pacific-theater war movie to rival Saving Private Ryan. The sheer scale of the battles reminded me of the ones in Edge of Tomorrow by how much crazy chaotic shit was happening everywhere on-screen. Sometimes it looked like there were 100+ soldiers all fighting in a single shot. Out of nowhere, fucking rivers of Japs would just start flowing out of hidden cave entrances in the charred landscape, attacking from all directions with incredible ferocity.

The beginning/backstory part where they set-up the movie seemed kinda campy, in a 90's drama sort of way (kind of like how Braveheart could be at times). Boot camp was the worst part of the movie IMO, with some awkward interactions and odd attempts at humor involving Vince Vaughn, but it did let you get to know the characters.

As soon as the fighting started, though, this movie became a fucking 10/10, and man there was a lot of fighting. I also wanted to say that Smitty was such a badass holy shit. Dude was like Audie Murphy

So how accurate was this movie to the real story at the Battle of Okinawa?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banzai_charge
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

A little bit over the top with the violence, but otherwise a mighty fine movie

But yes Okinawa was hell on earth to answer your second question

What does Japan think of this movie?

Real life accounts of war generally describe worse than what Hollywood is capable of recreating, the movie just did a poor job of making it feel like it took place in the real world.

The part where they all clash hand to hand in a perfect line while giving war cries was like a Tolkien film. Mel got a little carried away with this one.

It was a great movie

Watching it, my only real complaint was how unbelievable the story was. Went the whole time assuming it was more of a "based on a true story" type film. Then when I got home and read the actual accounts and records from his medal of honour and realized they had to leave shit out because it would've been even more unbelievable. Fucking insane what Doss went through, true American hero. Gained a lot of respect for Garfield for taking this role too, always thought he was a bit of limp-wristed liberal but if he's willing and interested in taking such a religiously charged role as this that's pretty based. When Doss was praying near the end man, just let me get one more lord, that brought me to tears. Great fucking movie

generic as fuck Oscar bait
any other director and Sup Forums would be shitting all over this
but Hurr Durr Based Mel retards gonna do their thing
The Pacific did it ten times better

>mfw that scene when Desmond was dragging the Sergeant that was shooting Japs accurately with his shitty little Grease Gun with an endless clip

Stupidest shit I've scene in the whole movie.
Vince was a terrible casting decision.

Where is the camrip?
When does screener season start?

I'm not paying for a racist anti-semite's attempt to return to the good graces of the public.

>The part where they all clash hand to hand in a perfect line while giving war cries was like a Tolkien film.

I don't remember it being a perfect line at all (everyone was just getting swamped all over the place), and the Americans never yelled war-cries unless it was just random yelling-back because the japs were all doing it. But that kind of fighting could have easily really happened; Banzai charges - as stupid as they were - were really like that

Wouldn't have been a problem if it was shot more in real time rather than montage.

They should have ditched the opening childhood and romance as well, that's what forced the combat to be abbreviated so much after he got started saving people. All of his motivation could have been conveyed through dialogue.

Boot camp also felt like they were trying to make Full Metal Jacket 2, the worst I've read about it is that they threw boots at Doss.

Yeah I definitely see that, way too comedic in comparison to the latter half of the movie

>Racist anti-semite

opinion discarded

Release date is set for January, 13 in my country

I will only be watching this in 2017, fugg

>The Pacific did it ten times better
Never seen The Pacific but I don't believe you

>good movies are just oscar bait

its shit

Very boring, typical introduction. Almost seemed like Mel was making a statement about how samey every war movie starts out. Hugo Weaving was very good in it. But it felt really forced.

A lot of the film feels like it's just hitting those same notes every way film has to go through to get to the action. Like they condensed the first episode of BoB into a montage.

Battle scenes were pretty great but a little video gamey with people just spraying down eight Japanese soldiers with a thompson yelling "AAAAAAAAAAAA" while standing out of cover. Not to mention Vince Vaughn being dragged on his ass and shooting people.

I have to ask if Forrest Gump was based on this guy, because they both seem almost exactly alike except for Forrest being a retarded cuck.

>mfw he gets spotted and has to hide among the Japs inside one of their defensive tunnels until the sun sets

did Doss actually do that in real life?

>its similar to other ww2
>therefore its boring
Someone has their standards set too high.

Who cares if it had familar beats! It was a well made movie.

You could say the same about all his other movies, braveheart and apocalyto especially

They didn't show the part in the movie where he was struck by a sniper bullet in the arm and suffered a compound fracture and then used a rifle stock to create a splint so he could continue carry the wounded

Vince Vaughn was a terrible choice for Hartman. Other than that it was pretty good.

Yes, he hauled down japs too just like in the film. He even literally kicked a grenade away from his men just like in the movie.

Braveheart was a milestone for it's genre, you wouldn't see Gladiator or perhaps even LotR without it's innovation in combining the epic with the intimate.

Apocalypto and Passion were unique, and really set the expectation I had for Hacksaw being a mentally and physically draining experience.

It wasn't, it played like another episode of The Pacific. There is no innovation to combat photography or effects and nothing to set this aside from other Hollywood war films of the last decade save for it's Christian themes. It's not a bad movie, it just killed Mel's mean streak.

this movie was toxic, where is the diversity?

Japs weren't hauled down.

Doss said people threatened to kill him if he helped Japs, and he obeyed because he took them seriously.

There are only anecdotes of a Jap being found on the ridge with an American field dressing.

Didn't know that, the account I read said otherwise, guess some of it's bullshit then.

>physically draining experience.
i was physically drained by hacksaw ridge so maybe you went into it expecting something else?
after i saw it i went and rewatched BoB and Generation kill and saving private ryan and Hacksaw Ridge held up fine but yes i agree BoB is better overall.

Hacksaw ridge is sort of like Full Metal Jacket Crossed with BoB and its good on its own right.

it didnt need to reinvent the wheel hell theres SO many fucking good WW2 dramas and movies its pretty much impossible to do something new.

While we're on the topic of war dramas HBO need to pull their finger out and make Masters of The Air already.

HBO needs to whip up some Vietnam War kino I know that much. Think of the fucking memes

aint they hemorrhaging money?

if westworld doesnt get a 2nd season ill rage

>HBO
>hemorrhaging money

lol idts bud, Westworld has already been picked up for season 2 and I've seen talk of 5 seasons worth of plot laid out already. This is going to be the next GoT for HBO, meaning it's going to fucking print money.

>Someone has their standards set too high.
This is a cancerous statement

The battle lines were pretty symmetrical throughout the movie.

It felt like Forest Gump but religious. I liked the build up with Agent Smith but the action scenes with Vince Vaughan on a death sled being a bit too much for me.

the banzai charge on the second morning was no joke

I think he is referring to one little ~2 second cut they had in the battle when they first climbed the ridge. It shows a marine fighting a jap and then zooms out so you see another marine next to him fighting another jap, zooming out until you see a whole line of it. Actually, while I was typing this, another user posted it a screenshot of that cut: It was over the top, but I'll allow it because the battle lines were NOT that symmetrical for the rest of the movie. It was often super chaotic and quite hard to tell where the front line even was.

there is only one really shitty camrip out right now. I really recommend waiting until a better one comes out before lowering yourself to watching it like this. The colors are fucked and the bootlegger cant even keep his camera centered or focused on the screen the whole time

this webm makes me want to go play Rising Storm

Those action scenes look awkward as fuck.

how the fuck did he survive running around in that friendly-fire artillery barrage for so long as he was gathering the wounded on the second day?

I just don't like this directorial approach at all.

Like you say, it's chaotic as fuck. You have no idea where one character is in relation to another, a headshot is thrown in every 5 seconds, you jump from the American perspective to behind the Japanese. There's no feeling of threat, it's just stuff unfolding.

You can make something look chaotic while still being visually easy to read. There's no excuse for fast cuts and lack of perspective in the digital age when film canisters are no longer a burden.

Good. War is awkward. The real battle of Okinawa was incredibly chaotic

Why didn't Doss just play along and take part in target practice? He's against "killing" paper targets too?

He could have played along and then never use his gun in battle.

Other than that, great movie.

It would defeat the purpose to make the battle easy to read. The reason it is chaotic is to make it feel authentic. The soldiers can barely grasp all the shit that is happening around them, so why should the audience?

No, a battle does not look like dudes just charging blindly into each other in a shoot out from 5 meters while the supposedly assaulting Japanese troops are sort of tiptoing around so that they won't fall or land on anyone. Stop being such a fucking Mel apologist, the man isn't perfect.

Stone already did that in Platoon and he did it 10 times better. The webbum you posted just looks like a visual mess from an editor who probably didn't have any good material to work with.

Already got renewed, and they're not so much hemorrhaging money as they're starting to run out of cashcows once GoT ends in 2 years

This.
I still liked the battle scenes especially with them being a bit more brutal, and I don't even mind it being a bit hard to follow. But the direction also felt confused as a result when it keeps jumping back and forth in perspective. Also with the way it was shot, I could never shake the feeling that they were on this little fake set.
In contrast, something the like airfield push in the Pacific is also quite hectic, but it doesn't take you out of what's going on and where people are.

>No, a battle does not look like dudes just charging blindly into each other in a shoot out from 5 meters
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banzai_charge

>Japanese troops are sort of tiptoing around
what? They look like they are running over bumpy, craggy, hole-filled terrain

I know what a banzai charge is. That is not what a banzai charge looks like. A banzai charge is a brutal assault on the enemy, so fast and united that it overwhelms them and they have no chance to even shoot you. That scene was just awkward, and the Japanese look like a bunch of strategy-free retards.

>what? They look like they are running over bumpy, craggy, hole-filled terrain
You think in a combat zone with bullets flying they're gonna take the time to watch their pathfinding and jog around like target practice for the Americans?

>I won't use guns, sir
>that's why I bought my web-shooters
Was this scene that necessary?

>Boot camp was the worst part of the movie IMO, with some awkward interactions and odd attempts at humor involving Vince Vaughn

confirmed autist

Are you seriously implying that banzai charges were ever a smart or effective strategy? The reason they look stupid is because they are stupid. They only ever worked when the Japs outnumbered the marines like 10 to 1, and even then they still would suffer heavy losses.

>You think in a combat zone with bullets flying they're gonna take the time to watch their pathfinding and jog around like target practice for the Americans?
As opposed to tripping and falling down in the face of the enemy, as all your comrades stampede over your back? Yes.

was your terrible attempt at humor necessary?

I'm actually just trying to fit in, boot camp didn't bother me that much. It made me care about the lives of his buddies

You're only further confirming that you know nothing about what a banzai charge looks like. It does not look like a bunch of confused extras awkwardly jogging along the set.

>little bit of over the top violence

>Battle scenes were pretty great but a little video gamey with people just spraying down eight Japanese soldiers with a thompson yelling "AAAAAAAAAAAA" while standing out of cover.

the funny thing is that is exactly the kind of thing a lot of WW2 infantry war heros really did, except they would only do it opportunistically against enemies who hadn't noticed them (and minus the yelling). Read some MoH citations. They would just go 100% Rambo, taking insane risks with little regard for their own lives other than to stay alive to keep killing. A war hero's brave and seemingly foolish actions make no sense to most soldiers, who feel scared deep down, so his attack comes unexpectedly and effectively, and can shatter the enemy's morale.
They pretty much just succeed because the enemy doesn't expect them to try the crazy shit they are trying (unless they are Japs, that is).

Have you watched the movie or are you just basing this off the shitty camrip webm?

>It does not look like a bunch of confused extras awkwardly jogging along the set.
neither does that scene. They look like they are running and tryng to fight at the same time. They aren't sprinting, no, but they are running. Sometimes they slow down to fire their rifles as they move, to climb up a foxhole or to step over/around dead bodies and other obstacles without tripping.

The Japs are as close together as a crowd, meaning that if the people in the front of the charge start slowing down (which they undoubtedly do because they start getting shot up) then the whole charge slows down

based Smitty

Some people just don't compromise when it comes to their convictions

so the violence is good?
movie looks cheesy but I was on the fence unless the action was really superb. the comparisons to SPR got me hoping

Best WW2 battle-movie since Saving Private Ryan IMO. What's really amazing is that it's all true

Did they use squibs for the blood in this movie? Or CGI blood? I cant tell from these cam webms.
Were there a lot of CGI soldiers in those wide shots, like at 0:29 in webm?

morning bump

Guys are dying in the most painful and brutal ways possible and the audio was perfectly loud. The audience in my theatre was obviously uncomfortable. Guys were sweearing under their breath every time a soldier got blown to shit, girls were making all sorts of noises at deaths. People kept shifting around in their seats. The battle scenes were several notches up over the SPR beach scene.

the sound design was a huge part of that too, holy fuck sounded like I'd imagine WW2 was actually like, chaotic noise

>new cinema complex opens up near me
>brand new cinemas with great sound system
>Idaho's guns fire, whole fucking cinema shakes, seat vibrates, feel it in my gut
>some slut literally runs out of the cinema crying

fucking great

fucking this, especially the eye washing thing, felt like a hamfisted Christ metaphor, then you get told by the actual guy who he did it for and Doss himself that it literally happened in real life.

>shitty little Grease Gun

grease guns were good you fucking pleb, one of the most popular guns of the war

This movie gave me PTSD. I was sweating like a pig during the whole showing. People were actually screaming in fear at the theater.

it was better than the combat scenes in Ryan tbbq

>it's chaotic as fuck. You have no idea where one character is in relation to another, a headshot is thrown in every 5 seconds

so like, in wars?

he could have, but he was actually THAT obsessed with his convictions that even holding a gun would have felt like a betrayal of his own beliefs, that's what he did in the actual war too.

>Not out in the UK until 27th January

fug

Battle scenes were retarded, took away from the lessons of the movie

it's rated 18a in Canada, so that's saying something

Mediocre and overrated.

Literally no one reloads ever and it's full to busting with shitty vidya gam tier set pieces.

CGI blood ruins it too.

>Doss gets fucked up by a grenade
>gets put on a stretcher and medics begin to carry him away
>soldiers around them get fucked up by artillery
>Doss tells the medics carrying him to go look after the wounded and starts crawling around administering first aid

>the "boring" typical introduction first half of the film wasn't a juxtaposition to the violence and terror of the second half
Get the fuck out of my Sup Forums if you cant' even understand simple concepts such as juxtaposition

>some slut literally runs out of the cinema crying
Based Mel

>you know nothing about what a banzai charge looks like
Do you know what a real banzai charge looks like?
Are you 90 years old?

I saw it yesterday.
I liked it, it's truly an inspiring story, but there's some things I really didn't like.
The whole first act is Andrew Giraff Garfield smiling like a retard while a 10/10s falls in his arms, all at a snails pace. The exposition lacked subtlety too.
The start of the battle had me on the edge of my seat, but after that there's too much running around hipfiring BARs. The second battle especially, that slow motion was cringe inducing. Or those two frames of japanese rosting in the tunnels that seemed they were the same except reversed on photoshop.
And like some other user said, jumpcuts is the easy way out to convey the chaotic feel of a battlefield.

>Based Mel has given us a Pacific-theater war movie to rival Saving Private Ryan.
How can people say that when Thin Red Line came out the same year as SPR?

Is the religious message obnoxious ? I mean from the trailer it really looked ham fisted and I hate that shit in american movie. Everyone say that the war scenes are great tho

He's played Rising Storm expansion for Red Orchestra 2 and was able to coordinate a few players to banzai charge with him, giving running buffs and extra bullet resistance, trust him he knows what he's talking about :^)

the blatant ripoff of kubrick boot camp scene with vince fucking vaughn as the drill sergeant wasn't funny at all and made me cringe, but for some reason all the normies started laughing like crazy

the rest was pretty good

There were like a billion Asians

I didnt think there was much of a religious message. It was about a man who had such strong convictions that he literally would not hold a weapon, and ended up being a hero by saving lives rather than taking them. There wasnt much of anything promoting Christianity. I think they could have built on the top of what they did by working the convictions the Japs had, but the entire second portion of the film was Japs and GIs genociding each other, which is fine by me.

Because it's not a good movie.
A band of amateur existential poets from Southern USA is more unrealistic than anything else form any WWII movie.

right because Kubrick invented sergeants yelling at boot camp privates

>Wasnt funny at all
Man, it must suck being this sour. Vince is abit of an unorthodox choice for the role, but the bootcamp portion was supposed to be partly comedic, and Vince is a well known funny-man. It wasn't perfect, but there were still some funny jokes and scenes.

t. faggot who has never been to Paris Island.

>he did it 10 times better.

says you m8. I always thought Platoon's battle scenes were fucking terrible

Alright, because the trailer REALLY made suspicious. Imagining Andrew "mouth breathing" Garfield preaching for God while saying "killing is bad" in a war movie made me pretty anxious

Parris Island

Yeah

>the drill sergeant and company commander at Fort Jackson are deployed with the rest of the recruits
>field medic AIT is just as short as an infantryman's

it's barely even a War movie

SPR is a masterpiece.

Now I know that every comment about this film is satirical and a joke.