Be American portuboo

>be American portuboo
>got off plane from Lisbon after over 10 days in Portugal and nearly 3 weeks in Europe
>already craving bacalahu and francesinha again

How do I live with this constant saudade?

Antidepressants and strong wine

>strong wine

I can't even find my new favorite in America.

based Ireland

Bacalao is easy as fuck to make m8, just dice some fish and let it cook in lime juice and some herbs

How much did you spend? I personally would like to spend some time in Portugal. Did you rent a vehicle? I've thought about renting a car and driving around.

it was illegal to divorce until mit 90s
since they are anglos
it will rise to uk level

Yeah, I've made my own bacalhau à Braz. Thinking about trying pastéis de bacalhau too.

There's a grocery store near me which sells packs of 1 kg of salted cod.

Still not quite the same as having the real thing at a good Portuguese restaurant. Francesinha is gonna be a challenge too.

remember, no rights on reds

Why not move to Portugal?

Money? Not much. I stayed in apartments most of the time, but I don't think I ever paid more than 50 USD/night. Hell, at a 3 star hotel in Caldas da Rainha for 18 USD/night. You can also easily find a nice meal for under 10 EUR.

I didn't rent a car, I'm only 22. I mostly used buses to get around since the trains in Portugal are kinda shitty. Renting a car is a great idea if you want to see the Alentejo, that region is still unexplored territory for me, sadly, after two trips.

I mostly hang out in the area around Caldas da Rainha, so I'm pretty familiar with Peniche, Nazaré, Óbidos, etc.

>all this portugal praising

proxy or just azorean diaspora?

anyway we must have at least 15 different bacalhau recipes, they're all done with salted cod tho

Seriously? What about stop signs? Is it true that if there aren't any cars around the other ways you can just skip it entirely? Here you must stop even if there aren't any cars on the other ways.

Why are lusophones self-haters?

you have to stop, even if most people don't when they clearly see there's no cars coming

Still in school, probably not finishing my undergrad in Physics until I'm 25ish and then doing a PhD in planetary science (in the states). Not a lot of jobs for my field in Portugal, sadly. Most of the planetary postdocs I've seen in Europe are in France and Belgium.

I did consider finishing my undergrad at pic related, FCUP, or FCUL for a while but decided not to.

How old are you now
Why not switch majors to something needed in portugal

muh heritage is German, French and Irish (unless you agree with Eurogenes which says I'm like 13% Iber). I've never even met a Portuguese-American. One of my tuga friends said she has distant cousins in New England, though.

22. I'm finishing so late because I fucked up and picked the wrong college out of high school and got into some pretty deep shit there and was pretty depressed for a while while I drove my grades into the ground. I was only able to travel because I was at community college to improve my GPA which gave me the chance to work part time and save up to travel.

Honestly, the economy in Portugal is pretty shit, and I know exactly what I was meant to do in life, so maybe I'll luck out and end up marrying a Portuguese girl or something so I can get all the Portuguese food I want.

Glad you enjoyed, I remember reading your thread some months ago.

Different strokes for different folks. I personally like the often laid back attitude and slow paced rhythm of the country. I love the beaches. I wouldn't look as a foreigner. The food looks good and it isn't pricey.

For example people talk about fr*nce and g*rmany but I f I were to go to Europe I'd love to go to your country, some parts of Spain, Italy for sure. I know there are many nice places in France and Germany but it doesn't appeal to me. They seem cocky people full of themselves and since traveling isn't cheap I wouldn't visit them. I would visit the U.K. though.... just because of the language and cultural heritage America might share with it.

Next time you go you should try to meet Portuguese woman

>prego
>no prato

>22
>late
Nah mate you're still young. I just turned 27, no degree, shitty job, debt, no wife. Sometimes I feel close to suicide. Sometimes the only thing that brings passion to my life is the idea of traveling, all hopes to be married and not being a failure are somewhat buried.

You'll be alright.

I know plenty. One is pretty cute and I tried to make a move last year but she wasn't too interested. I mostly got over her but I found out this year she sort of has a boyfriend in her department. I had an "oh fuck I'm not so over her" moment but whatever, distance would be complicated anyways.

>prego
>no prato
És do norte?

No prato é que é seus plebeus.

>És do norte?
Não.

>all hopes to be married and not being a failure are somewhat buried
Kinda my big fear tbqh.

My biggest fear is waking up in my late 30s in some god awful cookie cutter subdivision in the midwest married to some chubby blonde with a boring personality and working at an awful job designing air conditioning units.

I might move back to Portugal

Achei que "prego" é uma sandes e quando é no prato, chama-se "bitoque."

no prato ou no pão, isso não é prego nenhum fds, carne com 1mm de espessura que merda é essa.

Ambas as maneiras são usadas. prego no prato=bitoque

são os melhores pregos aqui na zona, se provasses..

Os meus amigos portugueses dizem que "prego no prato" é usado no norte.

Acho melhor ficar com essa loirinha gorda que ficar sozinho se pelo menos ela tem um bom coração. Boa sorte user.

Sim, mas não só.

tábem, come um prego com bife do lombo com 2 dedos de altura e depois diz-me que isso é bom.

Eu gosto da carne fininha. Mas o que interessa é como ela é feita. Se é fina ou grossa..

Eu prefero as morenas.

Obrigado. Para mim, o melhor dos casos é ser astronauta de NASA, casado com uma morena portuguesa (ou catalana), depois um modo de vida como ciêntista planetária. Ou morar em Seattle como profesor de ciência planetária na Universidade de Washington.

>at least 15 different bacalhau recipes
We have above 50 at the very least

Spanish Bacalao dish isn't the same. Bacalhau is the name of the fish and has a shitton of recipes, none of which you'd find useful there because it's not as easy to find the properly salted codfish to do them.

Fuck off

Pretty much any chef will tell you Portuguese food is better than Spanish food (still like spanish food tho).

I wish more people would listen, here in Chicago we have countless Spanish tapas places, hell we even have regional Spanish restaurants. There's a Catalan place near the Art Institute and on the north side there's a Galician place.

Yet we don't have a single Portuguese place unless fucking Nando's counts.

Eh, they are different approaches to the same base ingredients.

Except, we've had the advantage of having had more spices more easily accessible to the population than they did.

>different approaches to the same base ingredients.
Pretty much. The dishes are pretty different but the chouriço, presunto, etc. are all pretty similar. I'd say the most unique thing I had in Portugal was francesinha.

Chouriço is meatier and less fat than Chorizo. We use something like Chorizo to make broth/soup tastier, but Chouriço is used as meat would be.

We definitely eat a bit more fish (even if Spain eats a ton a well), and our dishes don't abuse garlic, tomato and salt like they do, I found.

Our food relies a bit more on the protein quality than the spices, even if we have more varied ones.

Lol Portugal is the best country on Earth and Porto the best city

It's either live in Portugal or die trying

No it won't, divorce in ireland takes at least 4 years
Nullity or separation are more common I think

>Porto the best city
This tbqh. Anyone who saw my posts a year ago would know that I was a pretty big Lisboa defender but I've been converted after spending a few days in Porto.

It's also a pretty nice city to get heartbroken in.

Does Portuguese cousin use lamb?

Sure. In Easter is tradition to eat it, roasted.

are those pics of the NT in the back?

Look up chanfana.

Think so. I was in some restaurant in Caldas da Rainha