I graduated from school a few days ago and I need to apply to a university now but I dont know what I want to study...

I graduated from school a few days ago and I need to apply to a university now but I dont know what I want to study. I just dont know what to do and I feel lost. How did you guys in your countries manage this?

I picked mine out of a hat.

跟我学
Study Chinese

Its useless

you're useless

Name me three(3) benefits

What areas do you excel at?

university is a scam

money, women, respect

study refugee and asylum management

it'll come in handy over there

Biology,German,Englich,History and a bit Chemistry

*English

>doesn't have one particular interest or area he excels at

looks like you have what it takes to get a degree in business administration!

What kinda jobs can I attend with this?

Roll a dice

Bump

hits too close to home tbqh

>How did you guys in your countries manage this?

I got pigeonhole'd into a subject that's way above my skill level and I got cucked hard.

just pick whatever thing that will guarantee to land you a respectable job best.

I fucked around for a few years then picked a subject I was ok at in highschool. I don't have much passion for it, I just needed some kind of direction.

Let your parents decide it for you

They tell me to take whatever I want :/

ignore this idiot, you will regret this for the rest of your life if it doesn't work out.

OP is underaged.

sage

I tried two different programmes and realized what I really liked to do when I picked my minor. On the other hand now I can't change it to my major because the system favors first timers.

You should add an additional clause.
**Only for those that are powerful to begin with.

don't know how it is for germany but jobs are really hard to come by here with just a straight undergrad degree unless you did a professional program. here, all the humanities/social science students who only did a bachelors are working dead end jobs without healthy prospects imo.

decide between a) how likely it will get you a good life/job and b) how well do you enjoy it. if you find something that hits both, go for it, but if a definite no for either of these do not go for it.

No

Ok, go waste your time learning Chinese then.

basically most desk jobs, the good thing is that it's easy as fuck to ace the whole degree but the down side is that everyone and their dog has a degree in BA. If you are any good at pulling roasties you will also be swimming in them as (from personal experience) 70% of the students who do BA are women.

also seconding what this guy said

>implying i will be wasting my time
I already know Chinese. Go look out for my interests somewhere else.

Do what makes you happy

If you do what makes money but doesn't make you happy it will drive you slowly insane for the rest of your life.

I came to Japan instead of chosing

I didn't. I picked a "good and respected" degree that's actually utter shit and I hate everything about it.
Actually I was just about to leave to register as unemployed, good timing with the thread.

what's the difference between economics and BA?

Nice

Im 19 and turning 20 this octobre

BA is about handwaving stuff such as marketing and leadership. It's essentially same sort of bullshit as social science with different lingo.
Economics is somewhat math heavy theoretical stuff about how markets work. Actually useful in a sense that it has real applications in finance, but I doubt the undergrad stuff goes that far.

Economics requires real knowledge while BA is regurgitating ideas and knowledge that was proven to be useless and impracticable/has no real place in a real work place scenario and passing it off as a real degree.

take BA if you are a middle-of-the-road student and wanted to take it easy because you are too lazy/incapable of doing real degrees.

Idk about germany but you can do a year of military service after highschool here

I think we only have economics undergrad then, still pretty useless

Worked odd jobs for 7 years while playing vidya until I figured out what I wanted to be. Currently in lawschool and loving it.

How old are you?

chemistry/chem eng -> money, respect and you will be content with your life when you're 40 because you're doing something worthwhile and don't look back on a life of moving money around for your little boss above you so that he can make a bit of money for his little boss above him.

or CS
any moron that has no aim can go for the CS meme

NEVER let anyone else do this for you
I know someone who turned down med school for some fucking useless degree at a garbage uni because of her friend

good luck, if you can't get into your local jurisdiction's practicing course and/or pass their practicing exams you will just be another one of the thousands of law students who ended up doing anything but law-related jobs.

I considered biochemistry but im not sure what my job prospects will be or if its too hard or not

The funny thing about degrees is that it doesn't necessarily matter if the program doesn't teach any practical skills or knowledge. When an employer gets a stack of 200 CV's for one job opening, he has no way of knowing for sure which potential employees are good until he hires someone for a while. With imperfect information, he has to rely on signals, and a degree is a good way to imply someone is at least able to jump through hoops compared to someone who doesn't have one.

>my job prospects will be or if its too hard or not
any STEM field has good job prospects because it's not as easy as african american studies. Take aerospace engineering - a lot of grads don't actually work in the aerospace industry but get hired because of the degree in other places, high paying places - like finance.

>but im not sure what my job prospects will be or if its too hard or not

wtf I thought Germany has a good education system, didn't you school told you to talk to your school's advisers?

they can't provide much themselves but they will tell you where to go for useful information, mostly to uni-shows where you can talk to the people involved with the uni and/or your subject who can answer your questions.

You know I always wanted to be a biologist as a kid but after I red how shitty their job perspectives are I just lost confidence in going to study biology. Also keep in mind that im really bad at maths so Im always concerned about the importance of math in any STEM field

We didnt have that much advisers and they always had a limited schedule

yeah but economics is still pretty useless even in that regard since it's basically considered on par with BA or other social science shit

being bad at maths is a meme
Sit your ass down, pop a 200mg caffeine pill, and work for hours. For every 50 minutes of work, take 10 minutes of stretching, jumping around, not thinking about maths or work at all, just clearing your head. You still have 2 months until school starts, and it's more than enough to unshit yourself at maths. Go to /sci/ and check the sticky for recommended books, then get them from gen.lib.rus.ec or buy physical copies from abebooks(much better since actually spending money will help with motivation), lurk around, ask questions in /sci/sqt/. Nobody is "born" to be bad at maths.

There's a crazy shortage of lawmen in sweden due to the ever-expanding market and unique system of law, blocking foreign workforce. I was recruited by 4 different firms on my first day at uni.

I would recommend studying something what you enjoy. And something easy.

I switched studies twice.

Kinda jelly. It's the exact opposite here, the market is so oversaturated people fight each other just to find an unpaid internship to pad their CV with. There's zero work for lawyers, especially if you're just a graduate and not a certified barrister yet.

>ever-expanding market

I know what you mean but im legit bad at math. I attented private tutoring and tried really hard but I couldnt do get anything better than the third-worst grade. I mean I can understand the general concept of a formula but If it comes to aoolying those to tests and tasks then I am just lost. I am good in bioligy and chemistry but they never had much math involved unlike physics.

*biology

Are you afraid that no one might give you a job at this age? I mean if you are competing with younger people who have the same degrees then your potential boss would rather take the younger person right? Thats atleast what my mom told me

aren't you too old for that? Usually law students are required to finish their degree asap, so if you start at 19 you should finish at 24 (5 year long course). Firms would choose young (early 20s) graduates over 30+ ones

Childhood dream really. I was first gonna apply for economical studies because that's what my friends did but I changed my mind in the last second.
Instead I went for History & Archeology and got my Masters in both.
Been working in the field for 6 years now while my friends in the economical market are struggling even to find an accounting job.

How did you find your job and how long did it take? What do you do at your job?

nice anime bird

>Are you afraid that no one might give you a job at this age? I mean if you are competing with younger people who have the same degrees then your potential boss would rather take the younger person right? Thats atleast what my mom told me

lol

This is wrong on too many accounts to list. Italy's a weird country.

>anedoctal evidence instead of statistics to back up your facts

k

dude it's like this everywhere, firms target younger graduates because they still have time to learn their job, they'll be of use for longer than their older peers, and finally they'll settle for lower wages since it's likely their first job. By your age you should be a lawyer already

>How did you find your job
I volunteered at different dig sites around Sweden, got a job offer before even finishing my education.
>and how long did it take?
The education? 2 years + 3 years. .

>what do you do at your job?
Well, I dig at different sites around Europe, categorize, document and research the finds we make. We map old settlements and protect historically important sites. Then I return to my employer ( Natural history museum of Stockholm) and work on the findings.
>pic related, how a day normally looks like in the field

Bad news seeing how half my class is older than me and 9 out of 10 don't finish their studies in 5 years. And all those people I know who started late and did fine.

Italy, man. So weird.

The solution is simple. Just lie on your resume.

Major in Mechanical Engineering and minor in computer science.
You should be able to have desk, industry, IT and construction job.

no it's just your country being fairytale land where mediocre people can find a job too. Ask an american how a middle-aged fresh graduate is considered there

Not too bad, when you consider that our mediocre are on par with your best.

>where mediocre people can find a job too
That's how it should unless you are a shitty third world country..
And age doesn't tell if you are mediocre or not.
I know several people who have multiple educations. My dad is 58 and have a degree in both electrical engineering and geological research. He swapped careers when he was 42.

which one was the second career?

Geological research. He's always been a nerd when it comes to things in that genre so instead of slaving away in a job he didn't enjoy he joined a university and got a new education.
A lot of people do here, all education is free so that's not an obstacle.

picture unrelated, we're talking about law students not the entire economic system

electrical engineering to geological research is a pretty drastic change, did it go well for him career wise after?

Selbes Problem. Habe mich einfach für 4 Studiengänge beworben, werde mich dann im Laufe des Sommers entscheiden welchen Studiengang ich wählen werde, je nach wo ich angenommen werde. Keins davon interessiert mich so wirklich.

Yep he's doing fine. He's working in the field securing, monitoring and documenting cliffs by the coast and alongside roads etc that can cause threats to people.
He's a lot happier these days.

law degrees are undergrad degrees in your cunt?

the average law student starts at age 25-26 and finishes when they 28-32, and a big portion of any class are older adults switching into law.

law isn't even a super-high paying salary here compared to america where starting salary is 150-200k for the big cities.

nice good for him mate, i imagine it can be pretty tough having to start over with your career.
Did he have to start from the bottom or did previous experience help at all

Wollten die alle einen NC? Was für Studiengänge hast du ausgesucht?

>There's a crazy shortage of lawmen

Whenever there are news about a new law school starting up there's tons of people whining that the market is already saturated, I don't know who to believe.

That said, I'm like 2/3 through it and I'm enjoying myself decently, though I don't know which area to really work in when I'm done.

I liked legal history and anything relating to philosophy a lot but I'm really not good or ambitious enough to become a professor.

I had a talk with my dad about a year prior to graduating.
He talked to me about what I'd like to do, what my prospects were, what would get me money.
I figured I liked computers so I got into CS.

Too many young people don't know what they do with their lifes, they keep changing their degrees. Wasting their life.
The reality is you're probably never going to find a job you enjoy all the time. What you want is a job you don't absolutely hate.
Also don't expect university will tech you how to work.

Alle davon sind ohne NC. Ich habe mich für Informatik, Wirtschaftsingenieurwesen, Wirtschaft und Medizintechnik beworben. Du solltest dich langsam beeilen, ich weiß nicht wann bei dir die Frist endet, aber hier endet sie nächste Woche.

Yeah he did struggle in the beginning but he got into it pretty quick.
And he started somewhere in the middle of a Bachelors degree (I think it was, it's called Kandidatsexamen in Swedish) after going through the entry exam. So I think he saved him self 6-8 months maybe.

Law degree is a "program" that takes around ~4-5 years, you need good grades to get in or a good/decent result on a national test kind of thing. I did the latter.

It's not as crazy well paying as in the US I'm sure, and it really isn't worth it to do any ambulance chasing due to damages not being ridiculously well paying.

>There's a crazy shortage of lawmen
This is complete bullshit, the market for people who studied law are balanced at best in sweden, and projections are it's going to at the very best stay balanced.

Cute

vast majority of high paying ones are business/corporate law imo though.

160k-200k is starting salary but it doesn't pay off as percentage in those cases. only private practice does that imo.

btw what type of law system do you guys have?

ours is an insanely complicated system where you have to learn thousands if not hundreds of thousands of cases that factor into a decision and cannot just reference actual documents/laws in place.

I studied law for 3 years before fully realizing i hated it

DON'T FALL FOR THE STEM MEME

I REPEAT: DON'T FALL FOR THE STEM MEME

Civil law, so the focus is on legislation. But at least according to my professors in legal history/comparative law, the nordic systems do have a hint of the common law system in them.

We don't mind "patching up" flaws/uncovered areas by judge made decisions as much as say, the germans do.

Basically:

>the codified law says what to do in certain situations and can be somewhat general
>case law clarifies it

Why not do some unusual trade ? The luxury industry is pretty good.
Watchmaker, Jeweler, high end leather working, Cabinetmaker, knife making, black smithing...
That's if you like to work with your hands (don't worry about being clumsy, we all are at first)
Craftsmanship is pretty cool.

Not him but, you have common law, we have civil law. Which means that while cases may be important to draw the line in between when a law is applicable or not and does have an effect on the law system as a whole, you can still get a pretty good idea of what a piece of legislation means by just looking at the text in the legislation.

because you need to know someone in the industry

I think the issue is that universities offer way too specific degrees for people just out of high school. Even if you are academically inclined it's impossible to articulate what you are interested in if you haven't even heard of something like anthropology, health economics or some spesific branch of engineering. In my opinion universities should just offer very general programs, teach people some basic methodology and intro courses and let them pick their major after a year or two.

In some ways they do, don't they?
I feel like all the CS people have to take classes that are more or less about the same basic things with a few "specialized" courses.
I could go work into many things that aren't precisely what I studied for, because the actual technology in use is something even someone who specialized exactly that would have to learn from close to 0.

do what you love

That's a meme answer though, most people hate _all_ work.

sorry you hate your job, i enjoy mine. doesn't feel like work at all desu