Old cities

>Do you like old cities?

>Do you live in one?

>Additional question to new worlders: do you prefer old cities or new ones?

Poland.

Yes and Yes. Pic related.

Other urls found in this thread:

flickr.com/search/?text=szentendre
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Come on.

Combat generals.

Ireland

The city itself is old, but everythings been torn down and rebuilt repeatedly so theres little old character beyond squalid stuff from the late 1800s/early 1900s

Nothing from the 13xx, 14xx survived? Why? Because some sort of a war?

Yes and Yes

1. Yes
2. No, my city is 124 years old.

Thank you for the replies friends.

I like the erm pillar in your picture hungarianfriend.

Definitely, I love waltzing around ancient cities, especially if they retain some of their older architecture.
No, my city is about two centuries old, and even then, it looks younger than that.
Depends. NYC is much more interesting than say Frankfurt, but Warsaw is far cooler than LA.

That's nice to hear.

My friend from US when he came to visit went straight to Subway which was a letdown.

Thanks. There is a similar one in the main square, said to be one of the earliest in Middle/ Eastern Europe of these baroque style, in the sense that it was specifically made for the outside

Was it made so that people can remember the great plague, like those in Germany?

Yes and no. The ones who funded its construction did so to honor because they survived the plague in 1701.

>yes
>no, but I live quite close

Zamość is great.

Yup, especially in the summer.

>still no tramway in Sopron
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Olsztyn is qt sometimes innit ;3

Does a 60k town need trams?

this is the most european picture i've ever seen

>depends
>yes
>depends

Europe handles old cities very well, Brazil not so much

Amsterdam

Yes

Yes

>>Do you like old cities?

Yes.

>>Do you live in one?

No, I wish I lived in one, but my town is barely 40 years old.

well it had one when the population was just the half of today's

>124 years old

Nsk?

>Do you like old cities?
I definitely do
>Do you live in one?
No, my city was established in 1949

>Do you like old cities?
love them
>Do you live in one?
depends - Budapest as a city only exists since 1873, but as a continuously inhabited area it's almost 2,000 years old with some ancient remnants still visible

Nothing really nice survived from that period, apart from some churches. Buildings just got torn down and replaced over time. There are a handful of 18th century buildings left standing.

It always surprises me how european cities (even russian ones) looked so much better than modern ones in the beginning of the 20th century

Canterbury is pretty old but cos there are like 2 universities in town and loads of tourists all the time it doesn't feel very old

well, everything was more simple, things were looking up, the people prospered, and the cities were more human-scale, so naturally these pictures show a nicer europe

Grey, washed out and doing an exceedingly poor job of concealing commie blocks?

Here's a better pic.

there are palaces with fancy gardens everywhere
there are only few places where towns with distinct european feeling exist

My city(from the pic) is 180k and 310-320k aglomeration and we got our trams back after 50 years 3 years ago. Never saw a city below 120k pop with trams thats why I'm suprised.

Yes
More like a town/village
flickr.com/search/?text=szentendre

old enough

Aye, parts of Stockholm is from the 12th century.
Old town in particular where I live is only old buildings with even older foundations.
>pics related

>Never saw a city below 120k pop with trams
My town Norrköping has less than 100k (around 90k) in pop and still has trams. We have had them since 1904.

No
Unluckily yes. My city is 3000 years old.

Istanbul is a great city

Yes and yes. This city has been continuously inhabited for 1700 years

I live near the place where they shanked Julius Nepos

Yes I love old cities. Mine is one of the oldest in california (1854)

ave caesar

kek

top kek

where is this?
I want to live in california, but place where it's not so sunny

>(1854)
My house is older than that kek.

Why do you guys think older is better?

It's a gold mining town and while it's funny to only be that old this state isn't much more than 150 when it was a population of only a couple million (now 40 million). It's considered a historical monument, no chain stores allowed.

You have to be looking for this spot as it's very touristy but also very different from the dense cities.

Nice german architecture you have going on there :^)

because through the value we attest to things crafted by humans a long time ago (say: wine, a painting, a statue, a building or a car), we actually profess our gratitude towards our forefathers, show our appreciation to their skills of making something so enduring, and celebrate mankind's victory over transcience

old towns are built at a human scale before the car was invented

after the car was invented we tried to uninvent the city and put everyone in suburban hellholes

it is only in recent few decades that we have started to reverse that trend

Eastern European towns may be old, but hey are shit to live in. Only old towns with modern infrastructure are loveable.

I dont get it. My city is old as fuck, founded by the phoenicians and This place is still a shithole. I would prefer some new worlder city than the shithole I live in.

Yes, old cities are great and I'm always jealous of you Eurofags when I browse comfy threads on here. I like my city a lot but it isn't even old by American standards.

Yes, yes and old.

Not really.

:^) dutch education everyone, lmao weed

Good lad.

Kek
San Salvador was founded in 1525.

Foundated in 1592.

>Foundated
That's "founded", although I suppose I can see where you'd have gotten "foundated" from foundation.

>tfw very real chance of seeing posts on Sup Forums come from places like Damascus, Aleppo and Athens

>Do you like old cities?
Sure

>Do you live in one?
lol no

>do you prefer old cities or new ones?
Old cities.

if we are talking about little or middle towns then yes

but in mayor scale, modern urbanism is much eficent and aesthetic

Yes
For north america yes.(1856)
Yes

needs more roundabouts

>Yes
>No, but it's one of the very oldest in the country
>Who doesn't prefer old ones?

My local pub has been a pub for at least 600 years, and realistically quite a bit longer than that. Really activates those almonds

Non stop? Like without 10 or 50 years breaks? I know the oldest non-stop working cinema is in poland but the pub thing is impressive.

I guess, it's very boring there
Is it?

>Do you like old cities?
yes
>Do you live in one?
yes

> do you prefer old cities or new ones?
both have their ups and downs, but I prefer old cities desu

Of course, I love old cities

Mine is pretty old (older than 1500 years or something like that), but it was one of the most bombed cities in WW2, so there's not much old stuff left. Sadly.

>The Imperial City

I don't know if it's been in use continously.
But parts of the current building are that old (majority of it 400~) and it was built as a Inn originally.

Answering Op's question, I love old cities, and prefer them over new ones without doubt, they are comfy

yes and yes

I was there last year for my birthday.

Being the El Greco fan that I am, it was amazing ;___; When I saw the The Burial of the Count of Orgaz I cried like a lil' bitch.

Yes
No
Old cities are goat

>Do you like old cities?
Ofc

>Do you live in one?
Yeah, old by North American standards. 3rd oldest in Canada. 375 years old back in May.

>Additional question to new worlders: do you prefer old cities or new ones?

Ofc. All the architecture is so much nicer.

Yes and yes. Feels bad that its prime was about a hundred years ago but whatever.

I don't life there, yes it is if you're not a tourist.

>Yes

>If you consider 460 years old, then shur

>Old ones any day.

Yes
No

My grandparents' house is literally older than that

If your city isn't at least 2000 years old you are a subhuman