Tfw Americans say "How are you" and you respond in a few sentences but then you remember they weren't really curious...

>tfw Americans say "How are you" and you respond in a few sentences but then you remember they weren't really curious it's just how they greet people

But why would you do this?? Why ask something you don't really want an answer for?! I keep falling for it every time.

It's not just americans.
Lots of peoples make use of this form of greeting or other variant.

it's evolved into a sort of narcissistic, half-arsed greeting that can be used to weed out the weaker social chaff. i meet somebody i don't really care for "how's it going cunt" somebody in a formal situation "hi, how are ya"

the answer should always be "good", "great" or "fucking excellent" and the only exception should be if you are on the phone to your mum.

I actually do care though

This
I don't

Then just say 'Hi". Why ask a question if you don't want an answer? r00d

It's mostly done to identify yourself as not being a threat. By showing concern, you are telling the other person that you are cool, sane etc

Don't Americans like it when you respond with a few sentences though? I thought they enjoyed smalltalk with strangers.

Just another reason the US is shit and makes no sense.

So I expect you're be going back to Mexico any day now

>not enjoying tormenting anglos with your misery for their fake interest

You asked me how I am, you are going to listen to how I really am

Can't go back if I've never been there.

Force yourself and remember to always just reply "fine, you?"

friendly reminder that "how do you do?" is a rhetorical question and should be met with "how do you do?" back

>tfw Brits say "You alright?" and you respond but then you remember they're just saying hello

sure you can
if you're an anchor babby

this
/thread

This, every "how are you" should be responded to with at least a 30min in-depth talk about your innermost issues.
They'll learn eventually...

Why do Italians always say fine, it's kinda negative

>"thank you burgeranon"
>"yeah"

What do you say? Its always "aight/fine thanks, you?" for me or something

Asking "how are you" from my countrymen is embarassing because in finland if someone asks that its not a greeting like it is to americans but we start to tell about our lifes and how we actually feel

I just say "I'm alright, how are you?"

you parents brought you here against your will?
sad.

I hate that greeting. Even when used properly it feels wrong.

I agree that it's retarded as fuck.

Same in Spanish, French, etc.
What are you autists complaining about?
It is just a fucking expression.
Get the fuck out of my country, a bunch of retarded spics and shitskins

Why do the French say "bonjour" and the Germans "guten Tag" even if it isn't a good day?

The same reason that the English say "good day". They're not commenting that the day is good, but rather wishing whomever they are talking to a good day.

Such greeting doesn't exist in formal form in Poland.
In informal form you ask "Jak tam" and the answer usually varies from "as usual" to "chujowo" (meaning fucking shitty)

You don't have to be retarded just say, "Good, thanks for asking."

>the answer should always be "good", "great" or "fucking excellent"

"Not bad" is the standard here

b-b-but it is an invasion on other people's privacy! how dare you to wish something to a stranger about his OWN day. that is his day. maybe he wants to feel miserable. stop sounding PATRONIZING. good day! deplorable..

>chujowo
It's хyёвo khuyovo in Russian.