discord.gg/neA547g

Previous thread

Other urls found in this thread:

gogen-allguide.com/ya/yaoya.html
tatoeba.org/eng/sentences/search?query="怒るのも"&from=jpn&to=eng
dictionary.goo.ne.jp/jn/152504/meaning/m0u/
apprenticealf.wordpress.com/2012/09/10/drm-removal-tools-for-ebooks/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Does anyone know how to get yomichan to look up verbs properly? It only looks up the kanji that come before the kana. I'm using it with the kenkyusha dictionary in the CoP.

I prefer rikaikun which works perfectly but it doesn't have the anki import feature.

Can I learn Japanese?

Do you have a separate mining deck or do you add what you find in an existing vocabulary deck, like core2k for example ?

Is it weird to have a fear that I will forget everything when I attempt to read/talk in Japanese? I'm a good bit into 2k, and i'm doing well so far, but i'm worried once I go to read a VN or something and everything is actually in sentence form, I will just crack and not know how to read it.

separate

I don't think you need to worry too much about reading. There's no time factor, so you can go as slowly as you need to.
Concerns about attempting to speak are more realistic, since you have to maintain a decent speed to hold any sort of conversation.
Also, are you doing any sort of grammar guide? The 2k deck alone won't prepare you to actually properly read anything.

you'll spend a lot of time with looking up words no matter what you do, so it really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things if you forget words here and there

I kept them separate after I finished Core2k but before I finished Core6k, and then I merged them.

yeah, i've been reading TK, i'm like halfway done, and i'm wondering if I should look for anything more advanced or try The Manga Way, since that's another recommended grammar guide
yeah, I guess the fear would be mostly exclusive to speaking and watching shows, in a way
so you guys think if I just put in the work and finish 2k/work on 6k/make a mining deck and study grammar every day, I shouldn't have to worry about this stuff because i'll be fine?

>i'll be fine?
no, 出来ないちゃん will fuck your 少年マンコ with her feminine ちんちん

Hey DJT, my kindle arrived and I want to start reading, just a quick question though.
Do I have to take care of anything before adding books from the cor?

Does amazon give a fuck about my pirated books?
After connecting to my wifi it instantly knew who I am and my account, that made me worry.

do you think amazon will fuck over their own customers?

They want me to buy books from their store I guess?

本を盗むのをやめろ!

The books are just PDF files, right?
I don't think DRM exists for PDF files, meaning the Kindle would have no way to detect whether it's pirated or not.

It's either stealing the books or buying it with a fake account with fake adress etc. cause "sale in japan only"

E-readers have their own format, I found azw3 and epub books in the cor.

>you fell for the RTK meme and now do more kanji study than reading
help

自業自得

I started about 12 days ago. I-is it too late?

こんにちは DJT

How important is it to differentiate between それ and これ?

It's impossible not to differentiate between words as common as that unless you're a permanent failure who doesn't read at all.

Well, I'm probably retarded then because I've always used this or that interchangeably.

It's not too late.
It's never too late.
Don't forget about あれ

Thanks, I can remember that あれ is used when it's far away and どれ for which one. This chapter in げんき tells me there's more for the latter, which will hopefully get covered later.

There are situations where you could use either with slightly different nuance, but no fluent speaker uses those totally interchangeably.

Talitha cumi!

Checked em

W

bump

Does Japanese ever 'just click' within your head after learning for so long? i'm starting to think that i'll never get the hang of this language.

It goes through many stages of clicking. Start reading for hours every day and you should notice the easier sentences start to click within a few months.

私わ日本です

麿は和国なり

私はエゴです

40+ Bleach characters added to NameDeck.
That because I've only watched the first season, where they have to save Princess Rukia from Browser.
Tomorrow is Naruto day... hopefully One Piece is just a bunch of westernized names I don't have to make cards for.

wow that sounds like a pretty huge waste of time, learning fictional names

The patterns are there, dude.
Like 郎 as -rou or 三 as -zou, I've seen it in real people's names too (安倍晋三 for instance), but I have better chances to remember characters' names than fishing for random celebrities or Tarous to fit that quota. I tried to brainstorm every real nip name I knew from the top of my head and couldn't come up with a lot.
Speaking of which, I forgot to add the authors of these mangos/animu, might help a bit.

Seiyuus I actually give a fuck about are few as well.

why not just actually read the mangas

I'm doing this retroactively, adding characters from shows I've already watched. Once I'm done, I'll add characters as I meet them in the wild.

Don't give up

I'm trying, but this shit is so illogical.
>5th or so day on anki
>四 pops up
>"Oh, I know this, it's よん"
>Nope, it's し and you'd never be able to know that unless you saw it in the context of a sentence

I know it's just going to get worse too.

You have a problem with ur cards format then, this shit is just going to get worse as time goes on.

Great. I followed the guide and left everything in default, so I'm not sure what went wrong. I'll mess with it tomorrow, too tired right now.

日本は旅行先としては魅力的であるが、定住先(働き、学び、子育てし、老後を過ごす場所)としては、さほど魅力を感じない。外国人労働者が増えている現状を鑑みると、経済力が小さい途上国の人々にとっては、まだまだ仕事があって稼げる日本は魅力的なのかもしれないね。

言われなくたって

>you'd never be able to know that unless you saw it in the context of a sentence
Don't they both mean 4 anyway? Is there any actual difference in their usage?

from what I understand, no one uses し in counting, or...in any way, iirc, since it's got the whole death thing going on

>銀行
'Bank', literally 'silver guild', makes sense

>八百屋
'Greengrocers', literally '800 shop', no idea

Is there a good site for origins of kanji compounds?

語源由来辞典
gogen-allguide.com/ya/yaoya.html

>四月

Interesting. Originally know as a 青物屋, it was possibly changed because of a few theories:

1. Competing with green dye industry led to a name change.
2. あお became やお because it sounded more naturally and dropped the もの.
3. Greengrocers were a place that stocked many items so 八百 is just a large number to represent that.

I don't know about you guys, but I find understanding the origins of something allows for better retention.

>Greengrocers were a place that stocked many items so 八百 is just a large number to represent that
That would only be the case if the name was already deformed and an eggcorn happened.

>Even if she cries, it will be a problem too

This sentence makes absolutely no sense to me. Does ても meaning something other than 'even if/although' in this sentence or something?

Context: Yotsuba wants to eat at Torako's table but her dad keeps saying no because he thinks she'll bother her

I think the も has its standard meaning here and 泣く and 困る stand in a direct relationship, thus the て form

I think it's like "getting cried at is troubling too"

Makes sense, thanks. I was thinking that but I dismissed it because I couldn't find anything on the internet with that meaning

One more question: I have no idea in hell what this means. I know he's trying to say something like "Well yeah, you just called her" but I don't know how それはくるだろう could translate to that. If someone could explain me how this sentence make sense that'd be great.

sorry m8, not sure either

I guess it would make more sense if you can read りゃ as では, but apparently that would be りゃあ

would DJT say japanese grammar is like writing english like this without any sign of pontuation?
i mean a lot of the times i think its just a language where writing has been pushed around so much people just developed a sixth sense to know how something groups together instead of actually making rules to disambiguate stuff. either that or i just read shitty japanese material that disregards punctuation just like your average english speaker. but nips definitely seem more loose with it english had to wait until the internet came to break the barrier.

Yotsuba is expressing surprise at the fact that the waitress came to take their order. It's a restaurant, so それは来るだろう.

それは【動詞】だろう
Of course she/he/itなど will ~.
In this case, it's like
あんな大きい声で呼んだから、それは来るだろう

Thanks. Also, what do you guys think about ? Do you agree that ても just means "too/also" and not "even if"?

Yeah, that's kind of the gist I get. Hard to put into words, but it's kind of like "Besides, it'll be a pain if she starts crying."

i'm not but i'm having a difficult time seeing how this sentence translates into that
is it sort of like 'it makes sense they would come here'?

Everything is normal. There are a few cards like that in Core.

So I'm syncing up my Anki accounts on my mobile and PC, every time I finish with Anki on either device I should be syncing it right? What happens if i use one account for a bit and forget to sync it up then do it later?

There aren't very many cards like that, so what I do is just recall both definitions/pronunciations whenever I see the kanji they share.

I don't think you should have any issue as long as you don't make changes on another platform before syncing on the platform you last completed. But even if that happens, Anki has an option to force changes in one direction on the next sync, so you can use that to bring your account up to date with whatever platform you want.

Why would you forget to sync it up anyway? Just do it every time you stop using the program.

If you use anki on your phone and forget to sync it, then use it on your PC, what will happen is you'll end up re-doing everything you did on your phone. If you don't realize and just keep going, then sync, when you go to sync on your phone it will take the cards that are the same and update them and any cards you did on your computer will override the phone's.

In short: nothing bad happens. You just waste time.

get the show duplicates add-on

you need it for core

が only marks the object of an ability, need or desire
>納豆が食べられる
>納豆が必要だ
>納豆が欲しい

anki can show duplicates without any addons

This suffering passive + も困る construct is common (so common that 困る is often omitted) and difficult to translate into English literally.

The most common example is 聞かれても困る (don't ask me/I don't know). The literal meaning is like "even if you ask, I'm at a loss". So 泣かれても困る = "even if she cries, I wouldn't know what to do". In both cases I'd say the も is there because there is an expectation by one party that the other would not be 困る. Kinda like "Even when you explain, I'm still confused."

wow maybe you should take that feature and make an add-on that shows them to you when the cards come up and package it as an add-on and post it on the anki site

No need to get so defensive. The base program has no need of something like that.

that user does

I wasn't talking to anki when I made that post.

>mfw there isn't a single katakana sheet that shows ウ"
who makes these shitty sheets?

talk of the devil.. here it is, in the corner for bad kids, never mind.

core2k sentence

>彼女が怒るのも当然だ。
>It's natural that she should be angry.

i dont get the "she should be" part

tatoeba translates this sentence without it.

tatoeba.org/eng/sentences/search?query="怒るのも"&from=jpn&to=eng
>It is quite natural for her to get angry.
>It is completely natural for her to be mad.

jesus christ

>that user does
That user ought understand how the program works.
Duplicate values are based on fields and card types. Outside of that context, it isn't a duplicate.
That user should be aware that Anki is used for a wide range of subjects and not just Japanese vocabulary.

Both Core and Tatoeba are correct, it's just not the "should" of obligation. Google "natural that she should be" and you will find many sentences like this.

Those three English examples effectively communicate the same meaning. Try not to get too caught up with the English sentences in the Core2k/6k/10k vocab deck as they aren't meant to be Tae Kim style literal structure break downs of the phrase.
As long as you roughly understand how
彼女+が
怒る+の

当然

create meaning in the sentence, it's all good. As sentences contain more elements they also involve more ways to translate them into a more natural representation of a particular target language without fundamentally altering anything.

Bought an ebook on rakuten, can anyone tell me how the fuck I can download it?

Anyone here have the raw volumes for 僕のヒーローアカデミア? I've been looking to read it.

心を綺麗に書くのが意外と難しい

By the way, this usage of も is covered in DoJG's ても entry:
>ても is used when that which is expressed in the main clause is not what is expected from the content of the dependent (ても) clause.

And here is the goo entry:
>2 既定的な事柄を述べ、その条件から考えられる順当な結果と対立する内容の文へ結びつける意を表す。…たにもかかわらず。「知っていても知らぬ顔をする」
dictionary.goo.ne.jp/jn/152504/meaning/m0u/

In the context of the sentence, it was part of 四月, but all it showed initially was 四. I think that's why I got so frustrated last night with it.

>In the context of the sentence, it was part of 四月
四月 is a distinct word, right? You'd have to know its specific pronunciation anyway, since the kanji in a word aren't always indicative of its pronunciation. I don't see how "you'd never be able to know that unless you saw it in the context of a sentence" any more than you wouldn't be able to know that the 月 in 四月 is がつ rather than つき.

The slang is killing me in Yotsuba. This is slang, right? Seems to be なまえ なんつったっけ. I can tell he's obviously trying to think of the neighbor's name, but what's going on here with the slang? What's the full version?

何 と言った っけ

They're on nyaa. If you don't want to use torrents, just google "僕のヒーローアカデミア zip" or something.

Mine does, so does Wikipedia's (where I sourced it from).

I think you may have misunderstood. All that was on the card was 四. It wasn't until after I clicked "show answer" and saw the whole sentence that it was one part of 四月.

Did you figure it out? The Australian user has posted about it before. One post I found:

>You have to sign up, fake or real Japanese address details -easy to find guides online- and download their desktop kobo program. Buy the manga online, log into the program and it will download the ebook.

remembering all the conjugations is too hard and also figuring out where words begin and end

I could get it via dektop software yes, but I want it on my e-reader still trying to figure it out how to do that, seems to be a kepub.

You need to remove the DRM. This should work:
apprenticealf.wordpress.com/2012/09/10/drm-removal-tools-for-ebooks/

>Install calibre. Install the DeDRM_plugin in calibre. Install the Obok_plugin in calibre. Restart calibre. In the DeDRM_plugin customisation dialog add in any E-Ink Kindle serial numbers and your B&N account email address and password. Remember that the plugin only tries to remove DRM when ebooks are imported.

Just read while hovering over words with Rikai and you'll have the conjugations nailed down soon. Reading will also solve your problem with word boundaries before long.