/asean/

Yang di-Pertuan Agong edition

>From the time of the earliest known contacts between pre-colonial Filipinos and Chinese merchants, our experience with the Chinese has not always been good. Periodic sackings of the Philippine northern islands and coastal settlements by the Chinese pirates Limahong (in the late 16th century) and Koxinga (in the mid 17th century) had instilled fear and mistrust of the Chinese among colonial Filipinos.

wtf i hate china now

Please immigrate to Australia

I still cannot grasp the royal government system in Malaysia, so I assume it's like America with Sultans and a PM.

why the fuck is the presidential Kampilan so boring? compare this to

this random kampilan pommel

Please don't immigrate to Australia unless you are a devout Javanese muslim

Blake?

Why does everybody call me that when I talk about Indonesia in /asean/?

probably the same reason everyone calls americans Joe in the philippines

He used to be a regular poster here. Australian with an Indonesian wife.

Don't they vote which noble family will be the royal one every X years and then the head of that family becomes the monarch?

oh no, not one of those people. my indonesian teacher at school was a guy like that. hapa kids and all.

We have a "vote" but it basically is a rotation of 5 years between the Sultans of each state.

I know that Bahasa indonesia is from the same language family as the Philippine languages but I wanna see how their grammar is constructed.

If the aussie knows how to speak Maori or whatever it is the abos/indigenous/whatever speak, even better, would be pretty cool idk

Are the children qt?

ugly you

rude you
sad I

Language Malay this not hard where. Different it with Tagalog, subject comes first. For example, I eat not eat I. I not clever much explain things other.

It's like Bahasa Melayu because of the same root that diverged some time ago during the colonial era. Classical Malay became modern Malay and Indonesian adopted Dutch loanwords, most of the differences are the lexicons and accent, so we understand each other.

An example of sentence: Nama saya Budi dan saya bahagia tinggal di Indonesia.

In literal English: Name I Budi and I happy live in Indonesia.

Also the adjective follows the noun like:
Wanita cantik = Woman beautiful

We follow the Westminster system of parliamentary democracy with a monarch as the head of state and a Prime Minister as the head of government.

However, Malaysia is a Federation of previously separate States plus Sabah and Sarawak. 9 of these states had a hereditary Sultan or Rajas as their own heads of state before the formation of Malaysia, hence a new position of Yang Dipertuan Agong (Supreme Ruler) was created to rule over the entire Federation. To honour and be fair to the rulers, every 5 years, a Conference of Rulers go into conclave and elect a new Agong. Currently, they use a rotation system based on the seniority of the Rulers during Independence. Other than this unusual electoral system, the Agong functions similar to the UK Queen. Sabah, Sarawak, Penang, Melaka did not have a hereditary ruler, instead having "Governors" who are common people but treated like semi-royals hence could not become Agong.

I wish I can travel to every Asian country without a passport like what europe has

Tell them about the different meaning of "pantat" in Malay and Indonesian.

You can at least go to other ASEAN countries without a visa.

I think I read somewhere that the king does have quite a few reserve powers and is somewhat politically more powerful than the typical constitutional monarch. Is that true?

His reserve powers are in theory and have never been used. Technically, he can refuse to pass any legislation but the Parliament can revise it a second time and then he has to accept it. He can dismiss the PM, but only after a vote of no confidence. Each state also have their own local Assembly with their own head of state as the constitutional monarch/governor. In states ruled by the Opposition parties (Selangor, Penang, Kelantan) for the most part, the head of states were neutral and accepted the proposed Menteri Besar (sort of like PM of a state).

REMINDER: Stealing is wrong.
im looking at you Indonesia

gib me malaysian streetfoods

I see, Jogjakarta is still headed by a Sultan too. I wish the Dutch didn't kill most of our tiny kingdoms for "rebelling." But most of our small royal families no longer have any political power when they integrate themselves into Indonesia, though some of them still has ceremonial titles.

Butt, unless there's another meaning that I'm not aware of.

Pantat in Malay means the vulva. In Indo I think it means the butt. Correct?

Selamat (i assume that's what it is even in malaysia or indonesia). I had a few malaysian muslim/protestant Christian friends back in school. I couldn't understand their bahasa. I suppose it's kinda like listening to things like iloko or bisaya for me, like when my dad speaks Bisaya I can sorta, kinda understand it but I definitely have no idea how to speak Bisaya except say "bay" whenever you normally say "po" and use "dili" instead of "hindi".

I think Bisaya vowels move towards the front of the mouth in general. That's why there's a joke that bisaya people pronounce the "e" phoneme (e.g. the e in Men or deck) as "JÉ™" (the sound in words like meet or greet). So deck comes out like "deek" or "dick" with them.

The Javanese Sultans were hardcore and fought the Dutch tooth and nail. I don't get how the Dutch nowadays have a clean reputation when they were butchers, even after WWII.

Sort of like the use of "fanny" in UK and American English.

The spoken Malay "dialects" are quite diverse. We have the Northern, Eastern, Middle and Southern modes. Then there's the Sabah and Sarawakian dialects as well. The Standard Malay is based on the dialect spoken in Riau, Indonesia.

Eww

>wasting taxpayer's money for some meme king that literally has no power and use
>these monarchs fuck actually takes turn to suck all of that tax money

>The Javanese Sultans were hardcore and fought the Dutch tooth and nail
Nah, they just realized the dutch want them to be their dog giuard
the ones who fought the dutch till end are aceh and bali

dia yang cakap ni, bukan saya. Jangan lokap saya

>My brother reminded me this is the pipeline behind the Carlsberg factory
He made joke about how "if Meleis know this, they'll think God is doing this because it's haram being so near a booze factory."

>no water trucks
In these shitty times, you just gotta prep for it all a la Doomsday Preppers

Selamat means Congratulations. It should be Terima Kasih (Thank You). I always laugh when I hear Filipino because it sounds like Bahasa but utterly unintelligible.

Because as bad as they were, there still some shittier colonists like those Spaniards, Portuguese, and Belgians.

Malay dialect is also spoken in Jambi and Riau Islands.

Selamat is safe

I really wish that someday Malaysian are educated enough to rise up and revolt against the useless monarch. These kings did nothing other than buying luxurious stuff while justifying it as means to further improve Malaysian economy.

>I always laugh when I hear Filipino because it sounds like Bahasa but utterly unintelligible.

I wonder if you can understand Cebuano. Maybe it's closer to bahasa.

Time to be a republic

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT MONARCHY!

>immigrate to Australia
if i want to meet chinks there are many of them here too already

so i just found the solution for giving happy holiday to another religion problem

you see, for example when a muslim speak "selamat natal" (merry christmas) i will also have same meaning like the the muslim is also celebrating the christmas too, same like when another religion congratulate other religion holiday too

so, what about we change the way and the structure of the sentence
cont. from the example before
instead saying "selamat natal" (merry christmas)
let's adding something to be "selamat merayakan hari natal bagi para pemeluk kristen / saudara kristen" (have fun celebrating christmas to every christian)
this sentence means anyone who saying that sentence just hoping the christian can enjoy and have have fun in their christmas day

Don't be too discouraged when we/you don't understand each other. There are hundreds more language in Indonesia/Malaysia that we don't understand.

also any nguyens here?

Sometimes Vietnam comes up with censorship that really would seem out of place even in a 1980s soviet country.

I lived in Vietnam for a while. Sometimes there would be BBC documentaries about the Vietnam/Korean/Cold war in general, and every time the broadcast would just be taken off. Just like that, no questions asked.

The BBC was allowed on TV but the BBC website wasn't. At all, so even the football was out of bounds.

I even had a friend studying at school, there was a history book in the library that was allowed in. Everything was alright except a page on the Russian Soviet purges was just completely highlighted over in black. If you held the book up to the light you could read most of the text though but it was still difficult. In that same library Animal Farm was allowed, without any censorship whatsoever.

Also when the west philippine sea/south china sea tensions started flaring up, all the atlases were taken from the shelf. In all the maps "South China Sea" was crossed out and replaced with "East Sea".

Least we aren't corrupt as shit or former communists.

>I always laugh when I hear Filipino because it sounds like Bahasa but utterly unintelligible.

Same here with bahasa

Yeah, there're censorships, people just don't care enough of them to ask anything. Most basic sites are available, and since most Vietnamese have shit English they just stick to Vietnamese sites.

Any fellow flip here, really liking the Idea behind La Luna Sangre show but disappointed that they wont go full shounen and the show is dictated by romance instead of being dictated by the Plot sprinkled with Romance?

Turn your fucking trip mkl

Tradition is sacred

cummin thru the saver of this tret

You forgot the fact that the Vietnamese censorship board affect anime, movie and cartoons aimed at older audience too. Although they recently legalized nudity in movie and perhaps even established a movie rating board, the question remains whether or not they'll slowly liberalize the censorship of such non-political content.
And then there's manga that are censored too, wonder what kind of technique the Vietnamese used to apply (like black bars or blurring or even cutting pages entirely).
Anime on local TV are censored to fit the younger audience demographic particularly in term of dialogue rewritting from what I've heard. For exemple, Detective Conan, although popular there have many episodes getting skipped while airing.