youtube.com/watch?v=ofBBQoWfH_c
youtube.com/watch?v=MzrWtFCXvhY
youtube.com/watch?v=xSdtjb2xOow
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Germanic

we are celtic

No we are slavic

germanic and slavic are just memes about norwegians, we are celtics

Swedish is also quite beautiful although I agree that Norwegian is a bit more /aesthetics/.

All Scandinavians are very similar genetically.

in your dreams Sven

Which language is more useful between these two?

Skandis are quite distinct to each other when compared to core Europeans

That's objectively true and my dad is Norwegian btw.

Still very similar.

Scopcræft tier
>Old English
>Old Norse

Pleasant to the ears tier
>Icelandic
>Faorese
>Norweigian

Okay tier
>Modern English
>Moderrn german
>Frisian
>Swedish
>Elfdalian

Stop tier
>Dutch
>Danish

"No"
>Scots

If you can talk either Swedish or Norwegian or Danish you can understand everyone of them.

That's really cool honestly. English doesn't have any languages like that. I've taught myself a bit of Norwegian on Duolingo but I have wondered if Swedish would have been better.

Doubt that holds true for foreigners unless they are very good.

Switch scots and swedish and move danish to okay tier.

What is that map showing exactly? Interesting how Swedes and Finns are the closest genetically. Didn't expect that.

Stop being a kike. Scandinavians should look out for each other. Stop d & c like a kike.

norwegian is the middle language, you will understand a littlebit swedish and a little bit danish

Not that big of a difference - choose based on interest. Norwegian might be a bit harder/complicated since there is bokmål and nynorsk.

I've heard that the Swedish language course on Duolingo is pretty good btw.

It depends a lot on dialect desu. Some dialects are completely ruined by disgusting guttural R's and just sound bad no matter how many nice traits they may have otherwise.
And personally, I like the dialects that use the [r] (properly trilled R) a lot, they get a nice bonus for this (the regular ones, that's neither ugly nor beautiful, are just flaps.) But there are many things that can make a dialect more or less beautiful.

>Slovakia

nynorsk is a joke

What do you mean? I just said what I think sounds best.

vocaroo.com/i/s1IzojgiC7zS

>Didn't expect that.
That's because it's a bullshit amateur graph, look at Slovakia and Italy.

and bokmål is danish.
Norwegian language is in a sorry state.

Can you explain nynorsk? It sounds like a forced meme but I don't really understand why it exists. From what I read (and this was confirmed by a couple Norwegian Sup Forums posters) I should disregard it and just learn good correct bokmål and I'll be golden.

Disregard Nynorsk. It is a constructed written language based on info gathered by Ivar Aasen about dialects (almost) all over the country. His goal was to have a written language normal norwegians could recognize. Bokmål is norwegified danish from way way back. Nynorsk failed, bokmål is what we use, the only reason nynorsk still exists are autists and forced life support.

Nynorsk was based on Norwegian dialects, bokmål is based on the broken Danish spoken by the upper class in the cities.
There has been modifications to both languages since, but these were the origins.

During the 1800s, there were many proposals for what written language should be used in Norway. We had been ruled by Denmark for hundreds of years, and in that time, the Norwegian written language tradition had died off and everyone used Danish.
Some of the proposals for a written language:
>just keep Danish
>base the language off the spoken Danish of the rich
>choose one high quality Norwegian dialect and use that as standard
>find the common of the different Norwegian dialects and build off that
>just go back to old Norse and see how it develops from there
I think there were some others too.

Nynorsk is build off the approach of finding the common Norwegian language, and Bokmål is build off the spoken language of the rich.
These were the two approaches that got the most traction, so these were what survived to this day.

There has, like I said, been modifications to both languages since then. For a big part of the 1900s, there was a policy of merging the two languages so we would end up with only one language. And during this time, many changes were made to both languages to make them more like the other one or dialects in Eastern Norway. Or even just other dialects, there have also been movements of allowing everyone to write more like how they talk, or trying to remove as many silent letters as possible, among others, and these movements have also contributed to how the languages look today.

>and bokmål is Danish
not really, but there's nothing wrong with that anyway

Nynorsk was an attempt to give norwegians, a norwegian written language. A language which reflects the language spoken by norwegians. A written language with norwegian phonology, grammar and vocabulary.

Sadly, you should disregard nynorsk and learn dano-norwegian. Just like the norwegians have disregarded their native tongue.

If you speak only English you won't be able to tell Norwegian and Swedish apart.

Fuck off you retard, we write bokmål, but we speak as we naturally do

It is shameful to not have your own language and using the language of your oppressors.

Nynorsk is not a constructed language. It's actually pretty much the exact same situation as Faroese.
There are close parallels between Norwegian and Faroese. Nynorsk is Faroese, and Bokmål is Götadansk, if that had been made the official way of writing.
The only difference is who became dominant.

Most people strive for a spoken language close to Bokmål.
>people in northern Norway say "vit" and "val"
The language situation in Norway is a disaster.

you're a fool if you don't think writing in danish has changed your language. Every day Norwegian draws further from its west norse brother languages in the atlantic and closer to the pigspeak.

Wish we still spoke Brittonic instead of this slave language

But then it was fucked already 200 years ago, nothing we can change now without making unnatural changes.

I mneant constructed as in gathered samples and put it together, not as in inventing new things. Are the jews trying to make us speak more like we write now? I've never met someone who does not want dialects to flourish.

The total destruction of Norwegian vocabulary, the destruction of feminine gender, noun systems, and like I mentioned people in Northern Norway not using "kv" are all things that have happened in the past few years.
At this point we almost can't talk about dialects anymore, but rather accents. We have no more diversity than USA.

Dialects as in accents, and maybe to keep one or two "unique" words to show how different you are from bokmål? Nevermind that those words are actually pan-Norwegian words that have been erased from people's consciousness by Bokmål in the past 50-100 years.

So how the fuck do you actually learn to talk to Norwegian people?

If bokmal is just your written language and you all actually speak in dialects that are completely different what's the best thing to learn?

HIER KOMMT DEUTSCHLAND

Most people know how to speak bokmål, so you can go with that. But to an American, it'll be hard to get them to speak Norwegian at all, most will just speak English.

Top list by a top lad

I like Swedish over Norwegian, don't take it personally, is like Portugese, that is the beautiful version of Spanish.

my gf said only oslo ppl and south speaks bokmal, rest uses their own dialect
they understand bokmal, some words wont sound natural, but hows that a problem since you are a foreigner anyway

I want to marry a norweigian qt

How badly is English infiltrating everyday speech?

Old English is very pleasant to listen to tbqh.

You learn bokmål. Then you will probably understand the eastern part of the country, and then the way is not long until you understand all of us.

Alright, maybe I am a bit out of touch, but all the northerners I know say kval and kvit. What I have noticed is the last 2 generations speak much more standardized than the one before that, but I cannot see how it is possible to fix this. What do you suggest?

Keep in mind, I don't like either of the written forms, I'm just saying we were already fucked way back then.

Horribly in the very youngest ones. Above 25yrs I'd say very little.

Why do norweigians like tacos so much?

everyone who learns norwegian, learns how to speak "standard ostnorsk" which is what they speak around Oslo and often in news and stuff. It's the closest to bokmål, and it's how a lot of people speak when trying to talk clearly with other people that don't understand their dialect/language

american influence, they love everything americans eat

I didn't know jewish assholes tasted so good, maybe I should try giving one a lick

I don't actually live in Northern Norway, it was just something I got from somewhere on the Internet. And only children.
But that's just one thing that's bad. In general people choose things that are closer to bokmål.
Standardization is always in the direction of bokmål, that's bad.

We would have been fine if we chose to go with Landsmål back then. A lot of the fucking has happened in the last 50 years.

I have no suggestions for fixing it, I'm just bitter it turned out this way.
But since it's all so bad already, maybe we could try gradual reintroduction of Norwegian words and grammar and strong propaganda shaming people for using degenerate grammar. I think we'd need a broader movement in favour of Norwegian language for some fixing to be done.
And we can try to save what remains, before that disappears. Make people aware of everything that's being destroyed. If we make bokmål associated with the poor we may make some progress. Like, language enthusiasts love to shame "i forhold til", we could spread awareness and shame for other things too.

Santa Maria spent a lot of money on marketing their exotic food products and it just kind of became a thing in the Nordic countries

youtube.com/watch?v=ofBBQoWfH_c

Ich liebe, wie deutsch klingt

I don't live there either, my family is from there and they always spoke with kv-. Anyway, we are in the same boat then, I just didn't know it was this bad and recent I guess. We should definitely propagandize the shit out of it and make it proper. Fix grammar and vocabulary, hopefully preserve and regenerate dialects if we had a romantic twist on the movement.

>i forhold til
er ment å være
>sammenlignet med
eller?

Ich liebe, wie Amerikaner Deutsch lieben
youtube.com/watch?v=MzrWtFCXvhY

any other nordic language even fucking danish > norwegian

>he's not east germanic masterrace
who /gothic/ here?

based finn

dinnae spik sae soorlik o' scots, ah kin speer thu whaur leid thu ken tae bide mair muckle?

What the fuck am I reading?

Would low german be considered modern german?

Is there any songs in Scots? Post em, I wanna check how this language is sound

I can kinda understand this but only because I'm fluent in whiskey speak

Now you know how Belarussian is looking for as.

Isn't Low German a dialect of Modern German? I think Standard German is based on High German though. The dialect is probably slowing dying anyway.

slowly

Is Romanian sounds the same as Russian does?

Dutch sounds pretty cool.

It's a big shame that Within Temptation didn't release a song in it. What is fucking wrong with them.

More dialect than Scots but it gives you an idea.
youtube.com/watch?v=xSdtjb2xOow

*whisky

Do not speak so sorely of Scots, i can speak.. Fucked if i know.

I kind of like Dutch too. I think it sounds ugly as fuck but in a somehow pleasing way. I can't really explain.

The paddy influences were too great

High German are the Bavarian dialects.
Low German is a collection term for the dialects spoken in the north, which is what modern Standard German is based on.
High and Low German are old terms that date back to when the imperial seat of power was situated in Austria.

Polish sounds for us like a brutal archaical Russian or Ukrainian. And I really love it.

Also Dutch sounds a way more softer than Deutsch does.

>Low German is a collection term for the dialects spoken in the north
Yes.
>which is what modern Standard German is based on.
No.

Modern standard German is based on High German dialects (which include not only Bavarian, but also central German dialects and everything South. The line between both areas is called Benrather Linie.

Modern standard German *pronunciation* is largely based on how people around Hannover pronounced High German (which was effectively a foreign language to them). The local Low German dialect of Hannover has already died out so the misconception persists that standard German = Hannover German, it's just the pronunciation.
The rest of standard German does not really correlate well to a certain dialect, it has been heavily influenced by East Central German dialects (Meißner Kanzleisprache, Lutheran bible translation).

How's Low German nowadays? Is it dying?

It seems so. But I'm not the best one to ask that question, I live in the South. I hope it will not, it sounds really cool
>tfw when my grandmather is from Mecklenburg but I never learned to speak or even understand Low German
feels bad

Yeah Polish doesn't make any sense to me but it's one of the coolest sounding languages for sure.