Why is France such a weeb country? Apparently France is the biggest consumer of anime and manga after Japan...

Why is France such a weeb country? Apparently France is the biggest consumer of anime and manga after Japan, even a bigger one than the goddamn USA.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manga_outside_Japan#France
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japonism
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jules_Brunet
kalzumeus.com/2014/11/07/doing-business-in-japan/
youtube.com/watch?v=-8lYRmYmdn0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Degeneracy comes from everywhere it seems.

>10 euros
mais où ça se passe cette merde là?

>France is the biggest consumer of anime and manga after Japan
Isn't it Italy? I know that they're №3 comic book country but it's always Italians who post new releases in their language that come out before English.

A la japan expo

we are the weeabooest in the whole world en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manga_outside_Japan#France

>Isn't it Italy?
in numbers, USA and Korea are the first and second ones, AFAIK

it comes from really far in the past:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japonism

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japonism
Well actually the last samurai was french en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jules_Brunet

merci de me rappeler de ne jamais y aller.

>Hetalia
Is their personification of France accurate?

The average french is short, dark haired and eyed. It's the complete opposite.

he said it, not me i'm fucking tired of the jap meme "french are blond because Lady Oscar"

I am not tired, i can't get enough

They stole the culture of appreciation for comics and cartoons from Belgians, so they are more susceptible to the works of Nipponese devils.

then why aren't Belgians more weeaboo than French or at least Italy/Spain?

Belgians only love lolicon

Much smaller market.

Belgians found themselves in the firearms industry

The japanese perception of french people is laughable no wonder there is a paris syndrome

no
it should look like this

>Apparently France is the biggest consumer of anime and manga after Japan, even a bigger one than the goddamn USA.
[citation needed]

The most I've read is that France is 50% of the anime/manga market in Europe, but I have a hard time believing that it's a larger market than the US when 50% of the EU GDP ($16.5 trillion) is about 8.25 trillion. The total US GDP is $18 trillion USD, so France would be fighting an uphill battle even if we were 33% the rate of weebs.

No doubt France is #3 if it isn't #2.

>The most I've read is that France is 50% of the anime/manga market in Europe, but I have a hard time believing that it's a larger market than the US when 50% of the EU GDP ($16.5 trillion) is about 8.25 trillion. The total US GDP is $18 trillion USD, so France would be fighting an uphill battle even if we were 33% the rate of weebs.
What are you even trying to say

FRENCH AUTISM IS THE BEST IN THE WORLD

>dark haired and eyed

Debatable.

He's basically saying france is the biggest consumers in europe but not the world

but why the GDP comparaison ?

This is how anime portrays all westerners. In the show, America, Britain, France, Germany, and Poland are all blonde.

Japs make most Europeans blonde with light eyes, regardless of where they're from.

GDP isn't necessarily relevant here, because you're assuming that the anime market in Europe is the same percentage of the total European economy that the anime market in America is to the American economy. It almost certainly isn't.

They even made a half Jap half English character blonde.

Manga mostly, I think America actually beats France in anime consumption.

That said, France has a very active and diverse (at least compared to American capeshit) comic book market that goes back to at least the Belle Époque. Manga slid right into that market. Much easier than in the American market, which starting with the Silver Age became entirely capeshit (during the Golden Age their market was at least as diverse as that of France, but due to some scandal about some author writing a book about Batman and Robin being homos, the comic book industry started self-censoring and writing only goody-two-shoes, all-American, family friendly superheroes. This created such an impact on the medium that even today, when the Silver age is long gone and self-censorship a thing of the past, American comics can only hit it big if they're Marvel or D.C.).

>all westerners
>Poland

You're the most influential part of the EU market but the weight of the US gives us a humongous multiplier even if we don't have as many weeaboos.

Gdp per capita would be a better comparison

Not the first time they've done that either. Pic related, "half-Japanese/half-American"...idk, maybe they were implying that her "Japanese" father got cucked.

Should I learn French if I want to make international weeb friends?

>GDP isn't necessarily relevant here
Yes it is, because even if France is 30% weeaboo and we're only 10%, chances are we buy more manga/anime simply due to the size of our economy.

OP didn't provide any numbers, so I'm going on estimates.

>Poland
That came out of nowhere.
Can you post polish anime characters?

Westerners from the Japanese point of view, you stupid indio.

checkmate

Haafu's are less intimidating to Nips than full fledged foreigners, that's why they are so prominent in anime (and they almost always have a Japanese father and foreign mother, the other way around is a lot more rare). It cannot be overstated how xenophobic Japan is.

kalzumeus.com/2014/11/07/doing-business-in-japan/
Especially pay attention to the part where this guy talks about being a white guy in Japan. Long story short, he's treated as an eternal tourist and constantly complimented for his Japanese despite living there for years. Full foreigners will never be accepted as Japanese, no matter what their passports might say. Hell, even Haafu's are deemed kinda shifty.

Sure. This is how Poland is represented in the show Hetalia. I don't know how or why the Japanese made the Poland=crossdresser connection though.

No it wouldn't, because we're talking about the size of the market.

much better reply than the chicano
alright then

>and they almost always have a Japanese father and foreign mother, the other way around is a lot more rare

This is by far the most unrealistic thing about anime

>I don't know how or why the Japanese made the Poland=crossdresser connection though.
The show is Fujobait, nothing more. Some things make sense (England being tsundere for France), others make zero sense at all (Greece and Turkey competing for the affection of Japan? America and Lithuania having a friendship with gay undertones?). Poland is a crossdresser because Fujoshits like that.

LIAR

edit: they do it everywhere
they even portray the French as effeminate, arogant little pussies
like fucking EVERYWHERE JAPAN JUST STOP
>inb4

Now that I think about it, hafu waifus are all over the place in anime. Chitoge, Asuka, Mashiro, Kurisu, Suzuha...

They love it. Here is the great demon slaying English sailor William Adams. There's a Spanish woman in the game who is also blonde.

>wtb manly French bear like Finland

Hetalia doesn't count

Hold my beer, senpai

hetalia poland is shit and is nothing like real poland
same goes to finland

hmmmmm

They also made King Arthur a girl lol. Blonde of course.

Wealth of the average person is much better.It's the people that buy not the government.

dafug

Poland is probably the least feminine and gay country I could think of

>hetalia poland is shit and is nothing like real poland

No. Really? You mean Polish men don't wear skirts?

US GDP per capita: $55,836
EU GDP per capita: $32,400

>mfw they put women in important roles

there's this one

The only realistic things about Hetalia are Italy being incompetent and everyone thinking the Canadian is American.

...the government doesn't create GDP

GDP is the sum of all goods and services in a market. Countries like the USA and China have bigger markets simply due to the fact that they have more people. That is why I'm incredulous that France is the #2 market

The most amazing part is that"half"/"haffus" or whatever, in real life rarely have blonde hair and blue eyes.They may have some western facial structure but it's almost impossible to have blonde hair/blue eyes

Maybe the Japanese just don't know that. How many people do they meet in their daily lives who aren't either 100% Japanese or foreign tourists?

And the best part is that it makes no sense for a spanish person to be there...
Maybe they've put her there because spain was at war with england and england was portuguese ally so they'd not have that narrative...

The Japanese aren't stupid, it's just an established trope to make (half)westerners blonde with blue eyes.

Portugal should be represented in the game more than Spain definitely, though obviously they weren't exactly going for realism.

They have alot of famous haffu actors/actresses that don't have blonde hair or blue eyes and when they ha e it's because they dye.

Japanese obsession with blonde and blue eyed charactera is pretty funny.
They think europe is like 90% blomdes when even in the most blonde country(finland/norway) about 40% or more have brown hair

the funny part is when they follow "hair color coding" trope and there are many jap blonde characters (yellow = spunky, lively person) but they interact near "REAL" blondes from foreign lands and they NEVER address what's the difference

>tfw you will never kick out a drunken Portuguese sailor who tries to convert you to Catholicism but accidentally shoots you in the foot with his arquebus

Sometimes if they really want to emphasize that the character is American they'll give him curly hair or a bigger nose. For example:

youtube.com/watch?v=-8lYRmYmdn0

yeah it's hilariously bad
why japs suck at writing? japanese videogames have stupid plots too

That's oddly specific

interest for those vastly predates the Belgian school, m8

France was the 2nd market in the world for a "long" time, but I think the US market took over simply due to its sheer size a few years ago, indeed.

Sales are not proportionate to the population, though (the US population is like 5,5 or 6 times the French ones, but I highly doubt the manga market in the US is 6 times bigger).

I'm also pretty sure the French market has much more variety and different series than the US one, although you can find some stuff in the US I'd like to see in France (like Arpeggio or Centaur's worries). You can find some real niche stuff here.

The US market is much bigger on light novels, however, while it's almost inexistant in France (not that I complain, LNs are abortions of "litterature").

Don't really kniw about the anime market. It had a huge growth in France in the early/mid 00's, but it doesn't seem important anymore here.

Herro?
Excuse me?

>and they almost always have a Japanese father and foreign mother, the other way around is a lot more rare

which is "funny", as in reality there are much more foreign father/japanese mother couples,

for european/murrikan + japanese couples, at least

>I'm also pretty sure the French market has much more variety and different series than the US one
Yeah I wish that the American comic market wasn't full of superhero capeshit. We did some good experiments with graphic novels in the 1980s-1990s with The Watchmen and Transmetropolitan (British writer, American everything else) but that isn't enough. We never had anything like Asterix, to my knowledge

The one French comic artist I appreciate the most is Moebius because he was so influential to sci fi as a genre, especially in Japan. Akihiko Yoshida, who did the art for a lot of Final Fantasy stuff (and Bravely Default) cites Moebius as his primary inspiration.

>We never had anything like Asterix, to my knowledge
i always be surprised Lucky Luke is actually french-belgian comic
unfortunately the closest to "humor-that-sells" USA has is newspaper syndicated comics i guess

I was talking about variety in manga, though, but yea I guess you can probably extend that to other comics.

>unfortunately the closest to "humor-that-sells" USA has is newspaper syndicated comics i guess
Yeah, that's exactly it. Garfield, Dilbert, Peanuts (Charlie Brown / Snoopy), and Calvin & Hobbes are the big ones.

I mean, they're not bad, but they're not great. I think that most of the American comic talent got sucked into Disney to do animation.

Yeah, from what I gather that's mostly due to what happened in the Silver Age: some scandal happened and newspapers self-censored to such an extent that many previously thriving comic book genres just died out in America. Now the market has transformed so much it's impossible to get them back. Just look at old 30s comics and you'll have comics dedicated to romance or tales of suspense, both are nowadays either absent or somehow combined with superheroes to make for incredibly awkward stories. Hell, it gets cringy as fuck when an author tries to deliver political commentary through the mouth of a grown man wearing brightly colored spandex.