The OA

wtf is this nonsense?

It is fucking terrible. The script and the premise just are terrible.

it's great
and brit marling is my blondefu

I'll give the second episode a go but so far it's a really shit version of The Leftovers

she kinda looks like a tranny though

Watch until the 4th episode plz

It's The Original Angel

yeah I'm not a fan so far
granted I'm not paying much attention, but nothing is really taking my attention
even that opening scene when the girl hops off the bridge was bland

>she kinda looks like a tranny though
kinda picky for a fat guy aren't ya

Is it good? Looking for something new to watch

Any good waifus? Nude scenes, etc?

It's dimension hopping kino. But the actual dimension hopping doesn't happen until the season finale.

>Any good waifus? Nude scenes, etc?
One of the male main characters has a short sex scene in the first episode and you see some tiddy. She sucks him off a bit but nothing visible.

Another sex scene in episode 4 or 5. Not bad but don't go in expecting a fap unless you're looking for a challenge.

BY episode three I was cringing. At the end of episode five, I just couldn't do it any longer.

>mfw people on this board proof again to be far too stupid to enjoy a decent show

I quite enjoyed this. So far the biggest thing people can't seem to get over are the movements.

But IMO the movements are purposefully difficult to watch in order demonstate the awkwardness of the human body in relation to the "invisible self."

Many of the times OA brings up the "invisible self" there is a notion that whomever she is speaking with may not take her seriously (especially in the first few episodes).

Our only aversion to the movements is based off our societal impulses as to what is acceptable to do with our bodies. The viewer is provoked to take the body less seriously, ideally to shift focus towards the characters "invisible selves."

I cried at the end

I know, it's sad but not unexpected. Subtlety isn't this board's strong suit.

I didn't think if it that way, but it makes sense. There is a lot of hindu influence in this show, I guess enlightenment through movement makes sense

The definition of pretentious.

Sorry, I cry like a bitch, I love it.

Boring bullshit. The first episode is basically a preview of all later episodes. Bad writing. Bad plot. Worse acting.

Haven't seen it yet and I'm not going to read the thread because of possible spoilers but I'm just warning you all that if I see any bullying of Brit Marling I'm going to PUNCH you very hard!

It's the new The OC.

what exactly is subtle about this schlock?

Nah, I'd just rather fuck dudes who aren't ashamed of being one.

it will have a second season?

It's a prequel to the prequel that isn't even out yet.

Just watched this. Mixed feelings about it, i sure like the idea of the movements and else. What bothered me was the inconsistencies on the narrative and all the details that appeared very important once and then they are just skipped like they never existed. But everything might be explained in a way.
This serie is unique in so many ways that it's shame it uses tropes that break the surprises.
I bet tumblr is loving it.

Oh and what bothered me the most is that guy that clearly doesn't know how to light a cigar.

realised I have the same problem with this as I do with sense 8, I can watch it but I can't care about it

I loved it, thought it had a lot of interesting ideas and good writing. The cinematography was also impressive at parts. I think it's eventually going to fall into that trap of the mystical elements destroying all of the tension, though.

>But IMO the movements are purposefully difficult to watch in order demonstate the awkwardness of the human body in relation to the "invisible self."

I think the last scene makes this clear. They do the movements in front of other people to intentionally make it look awkward.

it's fucking good, retards.

>fall into that trap of the mystical elements destroying all of the tension

No, the Batmanglij formula is to keep it ambiguous between mental illness, con-artistry, and genuine mysticism. Just as one would assess real-life cults/religions.

It explores the same terrain as The Leftovers, but I enjoyed "The OA" more.

>It explores the same terrain as The Leftovers
Broken people forced to deal with living on while dealing with inexplicable loss and existential dread from supernatural events that they can barely comprehend? Seemed kind of niche.

Anyone know where in Michigan this show is supposed to take place in?

>OH AY
>YAH WEH
pottery

this show is as good as a show gets. this is helix good. this is penny dreadful good. this is hannibal good. i hope they don't make me wait another year to see the next season. there will be another season cause this show makes stranger things look like the cosby show.

I binged through 6 episodes yesterday. I love a show that slowly peels away to reveal answers. This is excellent at pacing questions with answers, to keep you wondering and watching. I found this to not only be skilled at telling a story but showing a story too. Some breathtaking pockets of cinematography. Well worth a watch.

>this is penny dreadful good. this is hannibal good.

These are both bad shows

>Some breathtaking pockets of cinematography
Yes, on top of the storytelling, it is very well-shot and well-produced technically.

Do someone know what melody OA plays in the subway ? which is the same played on the phone w/ her father

it doesnt even happen then. huge disappointment from a really cool idea and decent cast. just a huge blueballs with le funky reddit dance off. the open ended bullshit ending was fucking terrible.

You are 100% plebbitor for demanding "closure" and missing the whole point of the show.

Just watched the trailer for it, looks interesting.
Is it aliens? A conspiracy? Whats going on here to really draw me in and want to watch this?

Just watch the first episode, bish.

i didn't want closure i wanted them to hop dimensions. confront the scientist. save the other prisoners? reunite with homer. something. instead all it was was a shittier breakfast club that was trying to take itself too seriously with some artistic hmm was she crazy or did it really happened?? so cliche it made me sick.

It's just horrible. It's weird for the sake of being weird, the entire charachter development is incredibly bland, the dialogue is retarded, atmosphere is nonexistent, not to mention the ending. And what makes it worse is people talking deep into it like it has some deeper meaning. It's shit.

I haven't watched this show yet. Is it safe to say all the people who needed their hands held through Westworld are shitting up these threads too?

IT'S TOO CONFUSING
THEY'RE JUST MAKING SHIT UP
IT'S JUST LIKE LOST

am I getting warm?

You probably never even watched "The Sound of My Voice".

is it good

does she just play the same character in everything?

will someone please help me with the answer to what the ending was all about. I am like " yeah, sooooooooo? was it real or not?"

Pretty much. Sup Forums will find a way to shit on anything, basically.

>play-stayshown

I'd give it a 7/10. It explores exactly the same ground as The OA, but in a cult setting.

In TSOMV and The OA, she does.

>was it real or not?
It's open to interpretation -- just like real life. Is Scientology "real"? Is Christianity "real"? Look at the evidence and make you own assessment.

the ending was shit. it is left up to the viewer to decide. but the dream she had probably meant she had to die forreal and sacrifice herself with lots of feeling or something gay like that to hop dimensions to go find her gay lover boy and big baddy bad.

the last ten minutes of this series gave me chills! which has never happened before.

>The OA
D O A
The Away

not that comment but I just watch sound of my voice again and it was great. The oa looks really like a sequel for that movie, its very similar in so many aspects (specially the movements)

>like a sequel for that movie
Or a prequel! But certainly an extended exploration of the same themes.

Holy fuck. Nothing was really all that funny then the hissing noises started and I just fucking lost it.

All netflix shows get a second series so I imagine that everything she said was true. Why did no one ever find the youtube clip she saw earlier in the show? Homer isn't exactly a common name.

I'd say I overall liked it, fucked up my sleeping so I watched this the last few nights, and while it had a lot of stupid shit, sometimes a good atmosphere and well established sense of place(s) is enough for me to enjoy something, and it also had semi-interesting mysteries going on. Hope it gets another season.

>everything she said was true
Are you a religious fanatic in real life?

yeah , I dont want to say prequel cause I tought that someone will smack me , but yeah it's definitely the same kinda universe or even story. The time travel part in sound of my...goes really well with the travel betwen dimensions in the oa

i loved it, 8/10

For all those who seek a simple answer to the question: is it worth your time? Yes, IF you happen to ask yourself big questions.

The mixed reviews only back up the point that this show is of the type: love-it or hate-it.

####### SPOILER ALERT #######

READ @ Ur own RISK

I believe the character of the scientist encompasses fairly well the struggle between fiction and fact, a recurring catch22 and leit motif throughout the show: people believe in facts if they suit their own fictions. Hap is the personification of our age, that is the post-truth age. The seasons finale just states this is so many ways:

1. Constant fear of public shoot-outs, yet we support pro-gun legislation and candidates.
2. Social polarization at an unprecedent grade in human history, that is wealth distribution unequality as never seen before; yet we seek a unifing force, a system/platform to build upon the reformist and the conservative way life. This just nonesense, right. Right? Well that's exactly what democratic political system claims as its goal.
3. Violence on a non-fisical scale, just to avoid prosecution, yet we can't seem to be able to be nice to each other, as violence takes new-more virulent-forms. Our fights and confrontations taken on to a diferent scale, unrelate to our body's ability to deal with stress, thus amounting for such disconnection with our own bodies as we live today.

I could keep at it, but I'd prefere to do it in front of a steaming cup. Mind to join me?

Assuming she was lying, we're left with so many unanswered questions like, how did she know there was going to be a school shooting? How did she get her sight back? It plays a lot like "The Sound of My Voice" but their definitely not going to make a new season or answer any questions, its not Batmanglij's style.

>How did she get her sight back?
She was never blind - she suffered from what is called a "conversion disorder". She fell into mental illness at an early age from the stress of living with her 'aunt' (could actually be her birth mother) under conditions of extreme poverty and neglect. She invented a rich fantasy world in which she was born to a wealthy Russian oligarch, etc.

Pretty much everything we stand for is nonesense. Worth only because it is what gets us from day to day

I'm pretty sure she lived with her aunt, and the house where she was bought was just a 'foster home'. Her parents died, no reason to think otherwise. Then she was sent to her aunt, maybe sold.

her papa could have been wealthy, but a mobster

really made me think...

literally yoko ono level psycho shit right here

Possible, but it's a pretty tall tale for an 8(?) year old to come up with.

indeed. not my brand of wisdom for sure. too hipster

why would you say that? sounds so mundane.
I love this sort of "faith scifi" like I origins, sound of my voice, upstream color, after earth or this tv show I think is refreshing trying to explain god or higher power tru scifi and drama without putting logic everywhere. Can you just enjoy it as it is , as the main character tells you the story? don't you get that it's the whole point and the director is show it to you, he actual tell you "listen to my story and try to believe it even if it sounds unlogical", at the end, if is true or don't doesn't not matter cause the narrative , the words, the images changes you still.

Her tweets seem to be more tame these days

her papa was a wealthy gangster. With a pimp sister. How's that untrue to her story, you tell me

>after earth
Please don't catagorize this with the other films you mentioned.
But I agree with your sentiment.

you don't like after earth or you like it a lot more than the others?

Fascinating that that is your reaction. Batmanglij's stuff is really a Rorschach test of your attitudes toward faith, mental illness, and the power of persuasion. I experienced the events in the story completely differently from your experience. To me, the work presents an anthropological examination of the origins and purposes of religious sentiment and ritual-based social cohesion, including cult formation and the nature of insular social movements. Of course, I totally see how a faith-based interpretation is also permitted. It's just that I prefer the more grounded, secular explanation.

after earth is not good

hope was inside Pandora's box. That's a R-test for us.

THE more grounded reading of the show is just a another narrative. As noted by Kuhn's History of scientific revolutions

I bet these are the kind of arguments Brit and Zal had in the writers room.

You tards are thinking of "Another Earth" -- not "After Earth", the Will Smith trainwreck.

"Another Earth" is not a Batmanglij production. It's a Mike Cahill film. Totally different universe.

The other Batmanglij film is called "The East". It's even better than Sound of My Voice.

I was pretty confused. Another earth is great. The East is good, but it's not vaguely sci-fi like another earth or the oa

thanks for clarifying that 4me. I was lost. Thought I had seen a different version of W Smiths AE

>Fascinating that that is your reaction. Batmanglij's stuff is really a Rorschach test of your attitudes toward faith, mental illness, and the power of persuasion.
thats some nice armchair memecology dr. jung

Hope they had this and even more discussions. otherwise I'd feel they were like the donkey who played the flute

>The East is good, but it's not vaguely sci-fi like another earth or the oa

That's true. But I would argue that it tackles the same themes relating to ritual, social bonding, and faith.