Why didn't they just recast Tarkin?

Why didn't they just recast Tarkin?
Shit looked like a video game.

Why is Tarkin so sexy

The original actor is dead, and the events of Rogue One were too close to ANH.

I thought putting cartoon Peter Cushing in the movie was kind of disrespectful and tasteless. It also looked horribly fake and distracting

this
/thread

>The autism is strong with this one

Because he's Peter Cushing.

The CGI was actually pretty top notch, but you can't fool the human brain with that so they were scrambling up the uncanny valley the whole time.
I was actually surprised that they leaned so hard into it with fully lit shots and extreme closeups. When they introduced him in shadow and seen as a reflection i thought they'd be framing the scenes to soften the uncanniness of the model. A little more effort to construct Tarkin's scenes and there would have been no problems with the cgi.

In some lighting it was passable.

Some angles/scenes made him look really obviously CGI and fake though. They should have kept him in dim lighting the whole time.

Is it really top notch when anyone with eyes can instantly tell it's fake

>top notch
It looked like fucking Scrooge from CGI Christmas Carol.

Are there any pics of CG Peter Cushing, yet?

I didn't think it was disrespectful at all, it will make a whole new generation of Star Wars fans apprecixiate Peter Cushing and his character now that they have a new movie to make them interested in the '77 classic.

That's my point. They clearly put a ton of money and effort into it, but you can never make a human cgi with currently available technology that's going to fool a movie audience.

seconding this

they should of just limited his cgi scenes and no closeups. I cant believe he had more screen time than vader.

he looks like Odo in the first picture

I respectfully disagree. I thought the CGI was actually impressive for the time frame the production was working with, and it's leagues better than other previous attempts at resurrecting an existing actor with CGI.

CGI looks way better than recasting

It was actually really good CGI. I thought they had recasted a "look-a-like" him until the second scene. What gave it away was the facial animation otherwise you can totally do this with actors from now on...

Anthony Hopkins in Westworld is a pretty good example of how good CGI can recreate an actor

the thing with young hopkins as well as young michael douglas & RDJ we got earlier this year is that the actors are still alive and you can reference them

downey, douglas, and hopkins all played the part as written, then the visual effects teams went back frame by frame and de-aged them

they had to do tarkin from complete scratch which is way harder and the tech just isn't there yet to overcome the uncanny valley