Well that was a fucking chore to sit through

Well that was a fucking chore to sit through.

Have you ever seen a silent film before?

It was a nice nap

Yeah.

It's ok OP, you're just a pleb. Most people are plebs so it's not worth worrying about it, just stick to Nolan and Tarantino flicks and you'll be happy.

Not a big fan of Tarantino, but they're entertaining sometimes.

Have you ever not seen a silent film before?

The first 3/4 is boring commie shit. The last 1/4 makes it worthwhile, just

Yeah, if you're stupid.

This movie made me cry.

I bet you think Andrei Tarkovsky movies are a chore to sit through as well.

The only ones I've seen are Stalker and Solaris. I didn't care for them much, but I enjoyed them a lot more than Metropolis.

Despite its pioneer visual style, Metropolis is ultimately very childish and cartoony, peppered with typical for silent movies overacting. Honestly, if not for some of its imagery, it would be fucking shit.

isn't the plot of Metropolis basically the Unabomber's manifesto?

>rich capitalists are going to replace most humans with automation and then wipe out the underclass

This movie is great. Think about the time it was made, most of this movie would have been cutting edge back then.

What's your favorite silent movie, OP? I thought Metropolis was pretty fantastic but I've only watched a handful of silent movies myself.

I'm sure it was. Back then. But it is no longer back then.

Go back to capeshit CGI faggot

>I have often said that I did not like Metropolis and this is because I can’t accept today the leitmotif of the message of the film. It is absurd to say that the heart is the intermediary between the hands and the brain, that is, of course, between the employee and the employer. The problem is social and not moral. Naturally, during the shooting of the film, I liked it, if I hadn’t I couldn’t have continued to work on it. But later I started to understand what didn’t work. I thought, for example, that one of the faults was the way I had shown the work of the man and the machine together. You remember the clocks and the man who works in harmony with them? He became, so to speak, a part of the machine. Well, that seemed to be too symbolic, too simplistic in its evocation of what is called “the evils of mechanization.” Now, several years ago, I had to revise my judgment again at the sight of our astronauts in their promenade around the world. They were scientists but still prisoners of the space capsule, nothing else—almost a part of the machine that was carrying them.

Fritz Lang himself

One of Chaplin's works, I suppose. But I haven't seen that many myself.

I don't care for most super hero movies. Also not fond of overuse of CGI, I much prefer directors that find ways to not use it.

I'm not OP, but Sherlock Jr. is 10/10.

He's just saying that because his wife wrote it, and she was a Nazi and all the Nazis liked it, and Lang hated Nazi. It's really his best work.

>it is no longer back then

You simply aren't able to understand if this is how you feel.

Check out the passion of the joan of arc, that's even worse. Or if you want a silent movie that isn't shit, battleship potemkin, sunrise a song of 2 humans, any of chaplin's movies

Don't talk shit about Christopher N'Olan

>Check out the passion of the joan of arc
Actually I've been meaning to watch that. It looks interesting.

You're right, I don't understand what you're saying.

>It looks interesting.
it's not.

No, he's right in what he's saying. Going on about the heart in a movie about social problems is quite the silliest shit. Metropolis is a technical marvel of its time and it deserves to be praised by that, but it's hollow, just the way today's CGI capeshit is.

Nosferatu is a pretty good silent movie too. I think I like it better than the Bela Lugosi Dracula movie.

I have right now downloaded Haxan, Greed, and The Passion of Joan of Arc to watch later. I don't care if people in here are saying Joan of Arc is boring. Also want to watch some more French surrealism shorts/movies.

Oh and I almost forgot Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse for a good silent movie.

It doesn't matter that it doesn't look "cutting edge" by today's standards. What's important is that it was back then. It pushed film making forward. It's a milestone. The pyramids at Giza aren't that impressive by today's standards. We could make them today in a few months but for being 4000 years old they're architectural marvels.

I think the movie holds up as top tier entertainment today. Forgetting all the historical context, it's still one of my all time favorite movies.

Phantom Carriage is the best silent film ever made

Yes, it's still impressive today when you think about when it was made. It's visual storytelling at it's finest.

Well that's disappointing, but I'll still probably give it a look anyway.

As an important piece of movie history it might have merit, or at least people say it does. I wasn't watching it to study history. I based my judgment objectively in terms of entertainment as a movie, as I would any other movie I watch.

Thanks for the recs.

>It's old so it's boring

Not necessarily. Some old movies are boring, some aren't. Same for new movies.

It's what you believe though. It's an old silent film so it's boring.

No, that's not what I believe. Not all silent films are boring.

I just tried to watch Dr. Caligari for the second time tonight and I made it about 2/3rds of the way through

...it had cool sets i guess

Yet you think one of the top 3 best ones ever is.

The pyramids of Giza are pretty damn impressive by today's standards. I don't see anyone today moving rocks that big into shapes that size.

I didn't realize there was an official ranking of what the best movies are.

We have big powerful machines now user. Modern technology could build those pyramids (and probably better) in months, maybe a year. It probably took over a hundred years for the Egyptians to build them.

if you think metropolis is one of the 3 best silent movies, it's you who's wrong

You didn't?

If you think Metropolis isn't one of the top 3 silent films, it's you who is wrong.

Talkies are better anyway

"Sunrise" is the greatest silent film.

It is estimated that the Great Pyramid took between ten and twenty years to construct. Considering how long it takes to build many skyscrapers today, it would probably take less time than that, but not in as short of a time as you seem to think. It has also been estimated that it would cost around $5 billion to construct the Great Pyramid today, which is more than the Freedom Tower, and a lot more than the Burj Khalifa.

Movie sounds interesting but apparently there are multiple versions of the movie and I'm not sure which to watch. For bluray releases there's the Movietone version and the Czech version. But there's also releases of both by Fox and Masters of Film, as well as various scores available for the movie. There's an orchestral score apparently but on the blurays it's apparently in stereo for some reason. Which version did you watch?

why? there's no engineering required and the materials are very inexpensive. you could do it for less than a billion, probably less than 100 million.

Here on Sup Forums all posted webms are silent movies

motherfucker you've got it backwards. The first half of the movie is absolute kinography but then the final act is overwrought and retarded.

Have you actually read the Unabomber's Manifesto? I get the feeling you almost certainly haven't.

this desu, OP don't bother going any deeper, just stick with what ya know so you don't get 'bored' again, patrician status isn't for everyone.

I usually find "classics" boring or overrated, but I liked this one. It looked really amazing and the plot was pretty cool. It does drag on a little towards the end, though.

I watched the Movietone bluray.

>I usually find "classics" boring or overrated
And what do you think, that there's a problem with the "classics" or would be with you?

Oh, it's definitely me. I'm a millennial with ADHD who usually prefers superhero movies.