What's Sup Forums opinions on this?

what's Sup Forums opinions on this?
I started to believe in God after I see this

bump

pls reply

It means you believed in God before in some way, because one could as easily lose his faith over this film, depending on which chacracter you and what philosophy you adapt to your life.
Although Dreyer is obviously a formalist and mainly a man of God, many of his films you'll find to be rather indecisive about religion, since it gives you the exceptic perspective as well as the spiritual one (the one you had any relation with in Ordet)
I think that's what makes his work so amazing.

(01:57)
(02:01)
(02:03)
Mate, this is pathetic

I've got a brifge to sell you, btw

Mate Ima be honest wichu, id much rather have OP bumping his thread about Ordet every 3 seconds like a maniac, than people posting little girls, politics and shitty memes occupying catalog space. Plus threads get on page 5 after like 5 minutes.

Ordet is fantastic faithkino.

miracles were a mistake. quite literally, the miracle at the end felt like the wrong decision artistically. dreyer used actual screams from the actress' actual delivery which was cool though

Most people wouldn't prefer that though. And probably me neither, it's dead boring no fun stuff.

well said this is his first film ive watch.i found this movie pretty comfy btw
cmon man this aint starwar thread or pol thread i have to bump because after i posted this it got on page 3 ;_;

agree with you i thought it was quite ridiculous having faith is great but the resurrection, really

You fucking anchovy, watch Passion of Joan Arc next.

fuck you, honestly. shitposting is fun? yeah, nah, fuck you.

How does it compare to Bergman faithkinos, family?

i already watch it. curently marathon 1001 movies u need to see list

Yes, you fucking retard, shitposting is fun. If it weren't, Sup Forums wouldn't be so fast.

Bergman wrestled with a silent god. Faith (or the lack thereof) is still a powerful motivating force in his films but you only see people acting in the absence of the divine presence, unlike the Work of Dreyer or even somebody like Tarkovsky, who included overtly miraculous elements in their films.

this

Oh dumb Opie, don't you know that too is by Dreyer? Because in your post you said Ordet was your first film from him, and now you come in all high airs and say you've actually watched Joan Arc, meaning that you've actually watched two works of his instead of one.
They are spectacularly different, Bergman's faith films were made at a time in his life, when he repented everything divine whereas Dreyer's use of faith and spirituality in his films come from his actual literacy and life philosophy (while still being doubtful of religion, as one should always be).
So yes indeed very different, but perhaps leaving aside structure, you could find they share emotions, the brother in Order and our main character in Winter Light, for an example.

i warched joan of arc long time ago. didnt remember the director my bad

Sure, sure

It's ok, no I will not let this thread die.
I suggest you follow Ordet with Day Of Wrath instead of Vampyr, because of the qualities that you appreciated from Ordet.

Day of Wrath is great witchhuntkino

thanks user i wll torrent this next

Yes that burning scene is really hunting.
there is also one good film about the obscure and supernatural (and that troubling devotion!(haha)) that came out this year that is titled A New England folktale, The Witch, I thought it was pretty impressive too, not as much as Dreyer's nightmares but still.

What are some other faitkinos?
I've seen Ordet, Viridiana and most of Bergman stuff. I'll check out Passion of Joan Arc as well and than move on to Tarkovsky. Is there anything else i should see?

shit im such a retard i just checked leterboxd and i found that i already watch vampyr too. i have to pay more attention to remember director's name from now on.
btw whats your favorite movies? what do you suggest watching next? because im quite curious about movies like ordet and want to find out more if you have a list itll be quite appreciated user

The Passion of St Matthew by Pasolini

*Gospel According to St. Mathew

diary of a country priest. wild strawberries. marketa lazarova. the virgin spring. the white ribbon.

Faith, uh.
You'd have to see every film I fear, for it is in every work of art.
No I am just kidding.
Yes Andrei Rublev, The Sacrifice, The Dekalog, Bad Lieutneant, The Nun, Black Narcissus, Simon of the Desert, Nazarin, Au Hasard Balthazar, and many more, you'll find out about them, I'm sure.
Well, take a look at what I'm recommending to the other user above, also keep in mind it's very difficult to find a director that resembles Dreyer.
Also are you asking about my personal favorite films? Because those are very far from the beautiful spiritual stuff we're discussing and pretty far from Dreyer too haha. Still love that kind of films though.

Bresson

Diary of a Country Priest
The Trial of Joan of Arc
Au Hasard Balthazar

maybe throw Pickpocket in there, too

If you're doing Bresson to exhaustion can't overlook A Man Escaped.

Samefag: the thread

>t. starwars fanatic

thanks ill make a list of your recommendation cheers

i just picked the ones that are explicitly faith related, since that what op was looking for

ofc, i recommend watching as much Bresson as one wants and can

And The Trial of Joan Arc, and Mouchette, and The Devil, Probably, and Lancelot Du Lac

You can forget four nights of a dreamer though haha.
As a closing statement I'll say that I'm pretty tired and also mad that these threads happen when the day dies, so I'm shutting the eye.
If you would be so kind as to share your letterboxd profile and I'll be damn sure to check it out in the morning and perhaps help with recommendations.
Perhaps if you had the decency to read the whole thread you would find out how the replies worked out along with the number of posters, I know I posted a lot ITT but didn't once make use of samefagging.
You should go back to the other (200) threads spamming shit.

thanks mate really appreciate your contribution you literally open my eyes about faith based movies like ordet.
good night user

>that these threads happen when the day dies
i've noticed now for years that most of the actual film discussion on Sup Forums happens late, late night (in America's side of the world in any case)

wonder why that is though? yuros are just getting up now and Aussies are the biggest shitposters on the planet.

Thank you guys. I've already seen some like Wild Strawberries, White Ribbon and A Man Escaped but i will try to watch some of the other recs through the holidays.

op here im from asia btw its currently noon here
also im starting to getting into films like this be easy on me

You miss the point of the film re. the resurrection. What Dreyer was trying to do leading up to the resurrection was cast skepticism on Johannes, claim he was mad, etc. so that we take the same cynical position as his family did toward him, assuming he was just a mentally ill guy or at least delusional. Then, the staggering revelation that happens in the final resurrection scene, where a loved one is quite literally returned to life in a formerly realist setting, demonstrates the vertiginous precipice that they have looked beyond, after which any doubt is impossible and the leap of faith is made, despite the fact that it absolutely defies the senses. Dreyer constructs an analogous situation to that of Christ and Lazarus, where it was demonstrated beyond a shadow of a doubt that he is the almighty made flesh to those present. Dreyer isn't trying to proselytize or make a statement about the 'power of faith'. He is literally showing you something that could only occur by supernatural, divine intervention, and the position of bewilderment and awe those party to this scene must have been struck by, a pure leap of faith