Why is this masterpiece rarely ever talked about?

Why is this masterpiece rarely ever talked about?
Also, Japanese movie thread I guess.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=RDqbSf8Z9M4
youtube.com/watch?v=fNrrQl45xuA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Why does he have a 80 years old woman haircut?

hes Japanese

because Sup Forums is full of kiddies who think pretentious crap is "patrician", and everything that's popular is invariably bad

reminds me a lot of when I was in film school tbqh

>ywn cross dress and have lesbian sex with Yoko while

This was pretty good. Cinematography was aesthetic as shit.
Any other allegorical Japanese films out there like this?

lol that was my exact tie in secondary school

Postan obligatory kinographs m8s

Overrated as shit

>calls The Wailing overrated
>posts the most entry level gookshit imaginable

At least try not to make yourself look like a mouth breathing retard.

>he went to film schools

should have gone to films tbqh

It's a lot of fun. Not a masterpiece though. The Japs can do a good job of mixing consumerist cheesey stuff into worthwhile work though. Like Hausu.

>Overrated as shit
>Posts Oldboy

it had a great mix of seriousness, comedy and just general weirdness

Literally
>muh devil
>but not rele
>but yes rele
>but not rele

Followed by a cringe costume reveal.
Troll harder

Legendary jap kino reportan
Definitely give this one a shot. Way better than the americlap shite

but it looked pretty

It's Korean you racist.

I wonder who made this thread

dont worry buddy
im not max landis

Japanese people look different than Koreans if you look hard enough

pretty obvious desu
also the languages sound pretty different

How the fuck do you style hair like that?

this movie is popular?

step 1 be born in japan
step 2 be a teenage boy or an 80 year old woman

no

>the languages sound pretty different

look different too

I was blown away by the last scene of sanjuro

Why don't more directors use escalation and de-escalation of blood/gore to establish and reinforce themes this fucking well?

Like, a lot of directors use it to punctuate moments, but I don't think I've seen it used in such a stylistic manner except maybe in drive. Tarantino obviously uses it a lot but he is a little too eager to exploit it.

jews fear the samurai

sounds like something landis would say...

Max seems desperately in love with himself
i dont think he could deny himself

Who here Memories of Matsuko?

The Japs are shit at film. Koreans are masters

wanna post some or do you just enjoy shitposting?

Nobody here wants to talk about Final Fantasy XV, go back to your homeboard Sup Forums

Strange Circus is Sion Sono's masterpiece, not Love Exposure.

Anime > Korean film > Japanese film

Korean film is trash. Literally just Hollywood shit with a gook filter over it to make people think they're "patrician" for watching a "foreign film".

youre trash

Favorite movie desu.

That being said, its obscure as shit. Most Japs I've met haven't even heard of it.

Also, I've probably shown about 40 people over the years (including an ill-advised Valentine's Day showing at my college,) and it has a very big love/hate factor. Like half the people I've shown were blown away, and the other half were pissed that I wasted 4 hrs of their time.

desu though most of the ppl who hated it I think were just really disgusted by the penis cut off scene

>Sion Sono
>obscure

basically it, some wirefu added in sometimes

>including an ill-advised Valentine's Day showing at my college,
kek
i dont know why you thought this would be good to how to a big group

shes cute

Why does everyone ignore the best girl?

Because she was a crazy cunt.

I was friendly with the weeb crowed in college.

A bunch of them had been wanting to see it, so I figured Valentine's day because its almost a romance movie, and they had it free (weebs.)

So I took it one step further and booked a classroom to show it on a giant projector.

Printing out fliers advertising may have been a bit much, but to be fair I did have a warning about the run time and gore right on there.

Watch RAN, Throne of Blood and Kagemusha too.

Honestly, just watch all samurai kinos from Kurosawa. Hidden Fortress, Seven Samurai, etc.

>cut a guys dick off
>murdered another guy while making out with him
I wanna get with her!

>Printing out fliers advertising may have been a bit much,
thats exactly where you fucked up
how did your weeb friends like it?

And his "modern" stuff. The Bad Sleep Well, Stray Dog, Drunken Angel, and I Live in Fear especially.

Most of the weebs loved it. I had a few of them even say that it was probably their favorite movie.

A few of them didn't, but I think most of it was due to, well, THAT scene. They also complained about it not having coherent structure. Personally, I thought the lack of structure works in its favor (you never know what's gonna happen next,) but I digress.

The few normees that showed up were 50/50. Notably, there was one normee who thanked me like 5 times, going on and on about how amazing it was. His gf seemed pissed though.

>he doesnt know that this was unintentional, since the pump moving the "blood" malfunctioned and went into overdrive

At least now we have the anime trope where two swordsmen strike each other, only for one of them to burst into blood two full seconds later

Name one good korean movie that isn't an edgy thriller

last night watched Hell or High Water it was alright
today watched pic relate 2 hours ago holy fucking how can even compete shit was so good the soundtrack the bromance and so on bravo korea bravo
>also Oldboy plebs fuck off from here

>holy fucking how can even compete shit

What's some Yakuza Kino? watched this the other night and I found it excellent

Not him, but Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter...and Spring Kim Ki-du, 2003 is great.

What about Ikiru?

film?

New World
youtube.com/watch?v=RDqbSf8Z9M4

Fuck, forgot about Ikiru. Thanks, user. Ikiru's probably his best modern film.

no problem amigo

3 iron
castaway on the moon
im a cyborg but thats ok

Love Exposure was fucking lame. Anyone seen Electric Dragon 800000v? This movie was fucking insane. I loved it.

youtube.com/watch?v=fNrrQl45xuA

this honestly looks like shit

You're missing out.

Is this the most underrated Korean movie of all time? It's literally 2 hours of teenage hoodlums descending upon a poor mans gas station with baseball bats and mopeds and ransacking it while giving away free gas while the owner is tied up in the back. It's fucking amazing.

Because you're fucking new as shit and watch pleb flicks

fuck you buddy

All his Yakuza movies are kino, hell all his movies are kino

prove any of you are native japense or fuck off weebs

Suck my ochinchin

good enough for me

>French writing
>Made in Japan

the disease spreads even to culture phobes like France

>TWO NUKES
>NOT ENOUGH

BOKU WA CIA

Be nice. Yohji is one of the Japanese artists that is genuinely deserving of his reputation

>Japanese movie thread

its been talked a lot you newfag

great posts

Yoko a cute

I want Koike to cut my penis off!

Really reminded me of Survive Style 5+ in a lot of ways, like just really well shot and framed weird sequences that come together to sort of make sense at the end

But Love Exposure is good.

Well it actually had the time to develop characters and tell a full story, Survive Style 5+ was great for what it was though.

survive 5 should have been 4 hours then

picture took far too long to load so I am posting this and then leaving the thread forever--never to return again--not even for a second--not even 0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001 of a microsecond will i ever revisit this thread.

Don't take it personally, kid. Next time pick a better picture.

sorry about your shit computer
thanks for the input

S A V A G E
A
V
A
G
E

welcome back

Not the same guy but the guy that posted about not coming back really rekt you!!

hahah damn are you embarrased or no?

this was pretty heartwarming

Not either of those guys but I agree with the 2nd guy. What the 1st guy said was savage and OP is probably hella embarrassed and has left the thread by now. Lol, he does have a good point. OP picked a poor picture for his thread which is obviously why there is only a few posts. Good on you!

this. that faggot just keeps mentioning this shitty chink shit over and over

you are right
im ashamed

Love Exposure is Sono's best in my opinion, still yet to see a large chunk of his filmography so this is just based on my ignorance. LE makes me smile knowing that it exists.

Tokyo Tribe was interesting, the concept was executed in an eccentrically ironic fashion. It's good for a single watch.

Why Don't You Play In Hell is a fun watch I recommend to friends who enjoy cucktino flicks. The silliness can get a bit much but the main fight scene is entertaining enough that you don't mind it.

Cold Fish's pace tends to drag a bit but the payoff is worth it. Probably Sono's best characters that I've seen.

Suicide Club was my first Sono film, the opening scene is easily Sono's most recognised part of any of his works. Lively watch, story sometimes deviates but it wraps up well enough.

What other Sono should I watch next? How was The Whispering Star received?

--

Am up for any jap recommendations, here's a small list of mine for others

Ran
Harakiri
Kwaidan
Hausu
Eros + Massacre
Woman in the Dunes
Tetsuo
964 Pinocchio
Gozu

Suicide club looks interesting
Ill probably try that next, also Cold Fish

I was watching Suicide Club with a friend but i turned it off after we got distracted and did other things because I recognized that I wanted to watch it by myself first. Someone already mentioned Strange Circus which is fantastic, watch it if you haven't. It's nothing like what you would expect from its presentation of itself but it all makes sense when it wraps up.

Tag, Hazard, Himizu, The Virgin Psychics and Tokyo Tribes are absolute garbage.

Try Strange Circus, Love & Peace and The Land of Hope.