I don't give a fuck about Moana underperforming

I don't give a fuck about Moana underperforming.

But I'm really fucking sad about this film doing just that.

>60 million budget
>61 million at the BO.
>Not counting marketing costs.

The movie was a major flop, Laika will probably go out of business by their next film. Why exactly does everyone ignores the most kino animation studio out there?

Also, do you think it'll get the Oscar? Or will it get cucked by the critics like song of the sea was for not being disney/pixar?

Other urls found in this thread:

metro.co.uk/video/clip-animated-fantasy-movie-song-sea-1256160/?ito=vjs-link
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

fpbp

It was mediocre, it doesn't deserve the Oscar. Just because it was made by a less mainstream studio doesn't automatically make it good.

>Laika will probably go out of business by their next film

But that's completely wrong you faggot.

Laika is the pet project of a multibillionaire. It doesn't even have to be in the black for the studio to keep existing, and Kujo hardly had any marketing costs.

As long as the films are less than 10 million bucks in the red, Laika will keep making them.

hopefully it does well in the aftermarkets,I bought it on lbu ray after watching it

Kubo looked nice, but was mediocre. It was a kids film with some appeal to adults, but was never going to be a breakout film.

It's the kind of film numales rave about to show how sensitive they are.

It's literally Laika's 2nd best after Coraline. I'd say they're tied actually.

Ay Kujo was a good film

yeah the visuals were truly great, and i liked some of the characters, but overall it was very meh. the story fell apart towards the end, mcconaughey was out of place, the big bad final boss fight was shoehorned in

>The beatle ends up being Hanzo
>Expect him to have a great epic battle against the witch (It would have made sense for each character to defeat an enemy by themselves)
>The witch fucking noscopes him in 1 second

>Or will it get cucked by the critics like song of the sea was for not being disney/pixar?

Explain this? Whats song of the sea?

Kek I noticed after I posted.

Hahahaha, do you know who owns Laika?

>The studio is owned by Nike co-founder and chairman Phil Knight
>In November 2015, Forbes named Knight the 15th richest person in the world, with an estimated net worth of US$28.1 billion.[3]

Thought it was going to be good until it turned into a generic flick.
>go on a adventure to get these 3 items and defeat the final boss!
>then the beetle came

An animation KINO (honestly among the top 10 best animated films ever in my opinion) made by an Irish independent studio. Nominated for the 2014 Oscars. Lost to big hero 6.

The oscars thing made quite a bit of controversy. It was the favorite and everyone in the animation community was sure it was going to win. It lost and it was later revealed that the majority of critics assigned to the category had not even watched it (or any other of the films in the category) and just decided to vote for Disney's film automatically.

One of the critics said he only took his child to the movies, got him inside and left to take a business call while his son watched it. Another one said that he didn't understood why there was a "chinese piece of shit" film in the list, and proceeded to vote for B6S (Which he admittedly didn't watched).

So of course people were pissed and they demanded that the academy fired those critics and that they actually hire people with relation to animation to judge animated films, but who knows if they actually delivered.

I agree that Song of the sea was better than Big hero 6 but this was the best animated film of 2014 and should have won.

>Laika will probably go out of business by their next film
The guy who owns nike runs it out of passion. It will not go out of business

To be honest I feel like it was the weakest Laika film yet.
It would deserve a oscar for the best costume design easily though

Kaguya was nice but it was definitely not better than SOTS. I was in college studying digital animation in 2014 and I remember every single professor and alumni were convinced that SOTS would take the gold, professors wouldn't shut up about how perfect the film was. They said that the film had managed to strike the perfect balance between 2d animation with 3d post production effects. One character creation professor said the scene where Saoirse gets her coat was easily one of the best made scenes in the entire industry

Kubo was a mediocre story with fucking fantastic animation.

I think it will get the Oscar. hopefully that helps. I imagine word of mouth will help also, this won't fade away like pixar trash.

Looks like anime with shit western art.
I'd rather just watch an actual anime.

The animation and some scenes in SOTS were pretty but I felt that the unique animation and story of TTOPK gave it an edge for me. Both movies were stories I have never heard ( since both were inspired by their countries mythos) but watching Kaguya spend her limited time enjoying the simple pleasures of peasants and despising her time with the rich hit me harder than an epic tale.

>that art
>kino
Kys hipster faggot looks like some Tumblr shit

The thing is that while Kaguya's animation look great, it's nothing groundbreaking. Whereas Song of the sea used an animation technique that is barely ever seen and improved upon it like no other.

In the end Kaguya is still traditional animation. Song of the sea is traditional 2d animation with heavy 3d particle after effects

Its you who should Kys since you know jackshit about animation kino. The art is great and it looks amazing in motion

metro.co.uk/video/clip-animated-fantasy-movie-song-sea-1256160/?ito=vjs-link

the story of song of the sea is complete trash

>Whereas Song of the sea used an animation technique that is barely ever seen and improved upon it like no other.
Well if animated films are simply judged by the animation then I will give it to SOTS. In regards to the art, the art style of SOTS was nothing special. TTOPK was much pleasing and grounded.

Thats a nice opinion.

Yes the art style is simplistic but it's still pretty to look at.

Animated films are not judged though because the critics refuse to watch them.

This is why a fuckload of animated films automatically get amazing scores, most "critics" simply give thumbs up if they thought the poster looked pretty

I have to wonder if the sad tone of this film hurt it somewhat. I think a lot of people are expecting a brighter, happier film when they go to see one that is animated, especially when they take their children.

That said, I loved the film, and wish it had more exposure.

>In the end Kaguya is still traditional animation. Song of the sea is traditional 2d animation with heavy 3d particle after effects
Kaguya is true animation, mostly hand drawn. SotS is an awful vision of the "future", lazy flash-tier animation with fancy effects to distract you from the mistakes.

To say Kaguya wasn't groundbreaking in animation is the mark of a complete moron, but I don't know what else you could really expect from a retarded little cunt studying animation in America.

>i like how this looks and not how that looks

2/3 magic items aren't shown to do anything useful

>It's literally Laika's 2nd best after Coraline. I'd say they're tied actually.

Which means it's a massive pile of shit.

The revelation was just awful. Like really fucking awful.

The idea that Kubo lost his dad when he was young and his mother later on, with the Monkey being all he had left of her that she created with her last available powers, and that the Beetle being like a surrogate dad were both really sad and compelling at the same time. I was completely on board with that and I wanted to feel more of Kubo's sense of loss.

The revelation that they were both Kubo's parents just felt forced and really unnecessary. They really should've ended up being his adopted family in the end, not his literal parents for him to lose all over again.

my main problem with this movie, other than the plot, was how uninteresting the entire characters were. Kubo, the monkey, the beetle, the sisters, moon king, they were visually nice but too shallow and cliche, even for children movie.

>tfw Kubo is prolly my favourite movie this year

It is one of those examples where the emotional core of the movie is strong enough to overcome it's objective writing flaws.

While the main narrative being constructed here, the standard hero's journey, is done in a really anti-climatic way, as the movie rushes through it's motions, damaging it's pacing, that's mostly because the film is too short to do something in that epic scale.

But at the same time, the smaller scale main theme, about family, manages to be one of the strongest of the at times tired "family is important" message that a lot of classic children's movies have. It manages to come off genuine and sound.

And that's what's so special about Kubo. It's deeply flawed but it's uncynical and unpretentious in telling it's story, it's simple and effective, almost feeling like an old classic film, it takes the viewer back to a simpler time when we wanted to be moved about a movie and were more susceptible to letting things happen.

By the time the movie ends, and the absolutely gorgeous stylized credits come with the incredible rendition of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps", if all you think of was how the story fell apart close to the end, you just lost the ability to lose yourself in that old movie magic.